• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone looking forward to the documentary tonight lol?

Is it only on the final season? Would have liked one for the whole show.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so if they try to justify the writing, why do you care?

Like, one of the 5 people Ive talked with that liked the NK ending, I just told them "Okay" despite my opinions that the writing of the NK storyline was complete and utter shit.

lol judging by how long these threads go on for i ain't the only one who does that

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Arya is so weird in the last few seasons, I don't know how she could carry a show. She came out of the house of black and white as a sociopath D&D murder hobo. They tried to humanize her again (read: quickly backpedal) a bit in the last few episodes, but come on. Maybe they just do a Quantum Leap thing where "Arya" is played by a different actor as she does undercover faceless man stuff each episode? Maisie Williams just does the mask pull and eyebrow raise at the end of each episode.
The fact so many people want to say the writing made Dany the bad guy but people really want to see an arya adventure show when she was arguably just as psychotic sure is something.

33d.jpg

I mean, I didn't love the whole thing, I disliked most of it, but there is no need to call it "insane" if people enjoyed it.
D6e_pLzUcAIhbDI.jpg

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
cant Remember if I have posted this before but for me I think Dany's ending rings hollow because Cersi is on the throne. We know Cersi is awful and in many ways can justify the use of dragons to depose her.

The Audience is on board with Dany vaporising Cersi without remorse, however it's the out of character disregard for the civilians and innocent that feels completely out of character.

Replace Cersi with a competent ruler and Dany's heel turn feels much better because it's the correct summation of Her journey. Kings landing is her home, her birthright, she has spent her whole life trying to return home, but her home doesn't exist as hers anymore, after everything she has done to help others that she has sacrificed she gets nothing of her own... unless she takes it by force.

Of course that's a season 5/6 problem that snowballed into season 8

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cant Remember if I have posted this before but for me I think Dany's ending rings hollow because Cersi is on the throne. We know Cersi is awful and in many ways can justify the use of dragons to depose her.

The Audience is on board with Dany vaporising Cersi without remorse, however it's the out of character disregard for the civilians and innocent that feels completely out of character.

Replace Cersi with a competent ruler and Dany's heel turn feels much better because it's the correct summation of Her journey. Kings landing is her home, her birthright, she has spent her whole life trying to return home, but her home doesn't exist as hers anymore, after everything she has done to help others that she has sacrificed she gets nothing of her own... unless she takes it by force.

This is why Dany fighting Aegon, who is presumably a kind and just ruler, will take on a very different tone. Even if she doesn't deliberately burn the entire city down, attacking it at all is morally complicated when Aegon is on the throne, versus Cersei who is objectively terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
It still bothers me so much that Cersei got some tonally tragic ending, dying in the Jaime's arms like she's a victim. It's just especially galling that they seemingly forgot all the awful things she's done throughout the series while simultaneously turning turning Dany into an irredeemable monster.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
This is why Dany fighting Aegon, who is presumably a kind and just ruler, will take on a very different tone. Even if she doesn't deliberately burn the entire city down, attacking it at all is morally complicated when Aegon is on the throne, versus Cersei who is objectively terrible.

Yep.

In hindsight the show could have done that with Margery and Tommen, but you know hindsight is 20/20

Unfortunately King Bran also sucks. I'm not sure of how to better navigate having someone else on the throne (it's probably Sansa and Tyrion renewing their vows)

Not really any good options though

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what's the best Miguel Sapochnik episode in terms of direction only?
(I know he did the Gift but that was ok.)

Hardhome
Battle Of The Bastards
The Winds Of Winter
The Long Night
The Bells

The Winds of Winter is the best shot episode.

Hardhome is my personal favorite of his episodes, simply because it was a major shock and nobody knew what was going on, both viewer and characters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now it truly ends. The season that was promised, the ending that was rushed written. The Song of Benioff & Weiss finally ends.

tumblr_npnehsXvMs1sey30ro1_500.gif

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude within the first 5 minutes of the documentary they are bringing up the fact that CGing Ghost is a big deal.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried watching it but I just can't lol, I'll just wait to read the others disappointment.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

The Stark's grandfather wiped out a village/town because the Lord there decided to remain loyal to the crown when the Riverlands rebelled. Aegon the conqueror went up and down Dorne burning castles, holdfasts, and towns when Dorne killed his sister and her dragon. Something tells me that burning cities to the ground was in fact a viable war strategy in Westeros until someone informed Tyrion and Varys about the Geneva Convention rules on warfare.

Arya was romanticising about Aegon's sister Visynia back when she and Tywin had their little chat. These guys burned whole castles and towns like it was no one's business, and history remembers them as great conquerors and warriors. The only reason Jon stabbed Dany was because of Sansa. Like he was leaving Tyrion's cell fully committed to her, but then when he gets to the door Tyrion hits him with the "but you know Sansa won't bend the knee!" Which is nonsensical considering that Jon was the Lord Paramount of the North.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
From my experience of him he's just a contrarian. His viewpoint ALWAYS goes against the most commonly held belief. I think that's his thing.

Edit: I'll edit with that I got this opinion from his antics in the Doctor Who OT of the last series, widely regarded to be pretty bad sans one or two good points, but he loved it all. Curiously he also blamed entitled fans there too.

Yeah, basically. I don't consider myself to be the contrarian; rather, I tend to be highly sceptical of extreme views expressed by fans about very successful films and television. I think it's just the way many fans are.

Doctor Who for instance is a very successful show, the longest running SF TV franchise, and an enduring success for British television drama. Yet still many people don't think they're real fans unless they're ripping the show to shreds for some imagined problem. The latest series of Doctor Who had higher average audiences and was well reviewed, yet you wouldn't know that from the discussion on the OT here.

It's not just Doctor Who. Star Wars (a franchise in which I happen to have no interest) has similar rabid fan problems, and is infamously toxic.

You probably know this, you may even agree with me that the fuss over The Last Jedi is ridiculous and quite at odds with that film's stellar success. But then when it comes to me expressing a similar well founded opinion on this particular fandom, you may not agree.

Thing is, I don't think I'm the one being contrary for the sake of it. I only watch film and television that I enjoy, and I don't barge into threads to say how awful a show is. If you're in this thread and you think we should all be here to say how useless the writers are, after watching it for eight seasons and seeing it grow in popularity with each season, maybe you shouldn't by throwing that word "contrarian" around. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm watching this doc and I realize I just don't feel like watching this any more. Maybe I'll feel different tomorrow.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
It still bothers me so much that Cersei got some tonally tragic ending, dying in the Jaime's arms like she's a victim. It's just especially galling that they seemingly forgot all the awful things she's done throughout the series while simultaneously turning turning Dany into an irredeemable monster.
People complain about 8 seasons for the Night King to get wiped out so quickly but at least he was taken out by a Stark in a big episode. Cersei was the main antagonist of the entire series and her end was awful and meaningless. Just something for Jaime to moon over and Tyrion to mourn.

Looking back now it's sad to see the Night King was solely created to be the "control ship" for the Starks to shut down and end the war in a single thrust like the dozens of blockbuster also-rans released in the past two decades . A war of attrition against the White Walkers would be infinitely better than the single episode we got.

Then after 8 seasons Daenerys' plotline ends the same way as X-Men the Last Stand. Pfft.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hated Cersei so much for 8 seasons for all the shit she did, I wanted so much more from how she dies.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The doors to the Red Keep should have fallen and Cersei should have been ripped apart by a mob of townspeople in a scene shot to match Daenerys's "Mhysa" scene and Jon's Battle of the Bastards scene.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished season 8 and found it, overall, to be excellent.

The ending was close to perfect, doing a loop on the first episode and what was to come.

I don't get the « shitty writing » comments or the « rushed storylines » comments either. I like when a show leaves parts to the imagination, something that's incredibly common in books. I more often than not hate it when there's over explanation, over description, over abundance of in the end rather pointless details.

The acting was great (especially 2,3,5 and 6), the energy, the scope, the shooting were amazing

Walking the streets, then running them with Arya in King's Landing while Drogon was laying down destruction was eerily mesmerizing and the tension prety incredible.

I know I'm in the minority on this forum (and maybe elsewhere too) but I felt the series got an amazing send-off.

I'm glad you were able to find enjoyment. I found the acting and cinematography to be fantastic as usual.

When people talk about the shitty writing its not about the lack of exposition. It's about the the writers' insistence on ignoring years character development for the sake of hastily hitting plot points.

Good writing consists of characters who have agency. To the viewer, a character's decisions should feel like a function of her established traits, tendencies, and thought processes. The events that take place should feel like the ramifications of characters being themselves. This is true whether the outcome subverts expectations or is predictable.

People like to talk about this series' tendency to kill off popular characters as if it justifies what happened in season 8. It doesn't. When Ned Stark died, for example, it was shocking. But it was an outcome that was a function of Ned, Cersei and Joffery all being the characters we knew them to be. While GRRM probably needed Ned to die for Plot reason, the death felt like the result of Ned being honorable to a fault, Cersei being shrewd and conniving, and Joffery being sadistic - just as they had been all along.

The same can't be said for Tyrion becoming a moron, Jon becoming a yes man, Dany becoming the mass murderer of innocents, etc.

The last season suffered because character decisions felt like they were a function of plot goals. Without enough time provided to show character traits, tendencies, and thought processes changing organically ahead of these plot goals, the writers resorted to having characters behave uncharacteristically. That's what people mean when they say it felt rushed. That's a terrible way to send off these characters.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WAIT....the original ending cut to black after Jon killed Dany?

I mean honestly, not much different from what we got with the time skip.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The thing is I feel GRRM always hinted that Daenyeres had a darker side but he did it quite badly, and D&D took it to an absurd extreme by having her randomly decide it was time to perform strafing runs on civilians.

It would take multiple extra seasons to justify her reaching the point of seeing innocents as collateral, but I personally reckon jt would have been a bad idea regardless. I feel it would have been a better heel turn if she had realised she would have had no choice other than to burn civilians and instead chose to pull everyone out of the city or something. To be honest anything would have been better. Litteraly anything.

You are right that fan fiction writing in regards to the other characters. In particular I feel like making a thread at some point about how awful that new council scene is. Every little aspect of it is bad. Front he selection of characters to the dialogue, arcs being rendered undone and general tone.

I mean she allow torture of a wineseller's daughters for info in the books