• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is an absolutely fantastic thread on the criticism, themes, and motifs of GoT and The Bells, in particular. Very much worth a read, especially if you're coming down on the side of "What!? That's not what Dany would do!" https://twitter.com/Darren_Mooney/status/1127982253546643457
I'll be honest, I had kind of a hard time following the thoughts in this Twitter thread given the haphazard way it's put together and the constant GIFs, but to the extent I did understand it: a plethora of posters in this very thread have been consistently stressing that it's not the idea of Mad Queen Daenerys that was, it's the execution that sucked.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't there be more Lannisters running around their region? The deaths of Cersei and Jaime isn't at all similar to what happened to the Targaryens. There were the two cousins Karstark killed, and the cousin Jaime killed. I'm assuming they had parents and maybe even siblings. Then there's the uncle that took over for Tywin, he probably had a wife and kids too. The Lannisters aren't don't because Cersei and Jaime are dead.

Well they maybe aren't entirely the last of the Lannister's, but neither was Daenerys or her brother. I still think it would be a big parallel to draw, as both houses were the leading house in Westeros at the time of their deposition, and in both cases the heirs of each house would escape to Essos.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'll be honest, I had kind of a hard time following the thoughts in this Twitter thread given the haphazard way it's put together and the constant GIFs, but to the extent I did understand it: a plethora of posters in this very thread have been consistently stressing that it's not the idea of Mad Queen Daenerys that was, it's the execution that sucked.
Yep

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
https://twitter.com/DSilvermint/status/1125856091261136896

This is exactly what's wrong with the last few seasons.

Whereas in the beginning the characters shaped the story thus making it feel realistic and organic, it is now the other way around. They have made their mind up on the end and where they want the story to finish und therefore the characters need to take actions that sometimes are incredibly dumb and go against everything that they stood for just so that the story goes the way they want. Now the story shapes the characters and not the other way around.
And because of the fact that the endpoint that I assume GRRM gave them doesn't make much sense in the context of the show, the characters need to make incredibly stupid decisions to get to where we are now.

If it was anything like the first few seasons, Tyrion and the others would have advised Dany to take the red keep with her dragons (Because that's really the only thing that made any sense). Dany would've won over the crown easily and we'd be done with the petty human affairs at the end of season 7 und could've devoted the last season to the real fight and really the main thing that the show worked towards since episode 1.

Instead they made up their mind that they wanted to end it with Dany vs. Cersei and mad queen Dany even though getting to that point required ignoring all sense and logic from the characters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about, the more I think the show really dropped the ball with Cersei and Jamie. I think it would have been way more fitting if they managed to escape together on the boat.

Firstly the actually ending didn't really offer much of a satisfying conclusion to their arcs. Whilst Cersei is capable of some extremely evil acts, I always felt that she did them to protect her children which I feel is somewhat sympathetic. In the end I think if Jamie got to her a little sooner, she would have actually chosen to go with him to secure a future for her unborn child. It would have also offered a bit more growth and clarity by showing she's able to turn her back on the throne and seven kingdoms for her family.

Secondly I think it would offer some incredible symmetry with what happened to the Targaryen family. In both cases the last of an ancient house is ruined and driven out to a foreign land. In the case of the Targaryen, this lay the foundation for what would be Daenerys' conquest years later. So I think it would draw an immediate parallel to the Lannister's in the audiences mind, i.e. could Cersei's child one day follow a similar path. The cycle could begin a new.

I also think it would offer a fantastic moment for reflection if Jamie and Cersei look back and see the city being ruined Daenerys'. What their squabble over the iron throne has eventually brought to the city.

Lastly, I think it would be pretty fitting that after all of what happened in that episode. Daenerys' blind rage and blood lust actually robs her of revenge, as Cersei and Jamie slips out of the city during the devastation.
Nah. She supposed to die. And even if you got on a boat where were you going to go?

To Illyrio's house and start the cycle over again.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people said it was good that NK got wiped out early so we could have great political intrigue in the show again?

lmao.

*sips wine*

"yOuRe BleEdInG!!!!!111 :("

You say that like they wouldn't have botched it the other way around. Adding an episode or so to the NK subplot was certainly not gonna save it lol

They could have made his fight more interesting or could have shown how Arya got there from the room they were barricaded in without teleporting behind the NK. The Mountain felt like a bigger final boss than this dude.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I had completely forgot about Ellaria, like the writers, until an old scene popped on my YT recommendations.

Like mentioned in the comments, at this point we're left to assume she was just crushed in the rubble too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KviFXU_87A
I brought her up earlier in either this thread or the previous one and someone replied that D&D told the actress she was already dead.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Well they maybe aren't entirely the last of the Lannister's, but neither was Daenerys or her brother. I still think it would be a big parallel to draw, as both houses were the leading house in Westeros at the time of their deposition, and in both cases the heirs of each house would escape to Essos.

No one knew about Jon, so Dany and Visarys were indeed the last known Targs (Maester Aemon notwithstanding). Due to Tyrion still being around, the Lannister name and House still exists. He should inherit Casterlyrock now too.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I had completely forgot about Ellaria, like the writers, until an old scene popped on my YT recommendations.

Like mentioned in the comments, at this point we're left to assume she was just crushed in the rubble too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KviFXU_87A
I think the implication was that after she watched her daughter die she would be tortured executed as well. Not that this was obvious by any stretch.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Holy fuck! King's Landing is actually completely gone. It's literally just ruins now.

It didn't seem like that much damage was done last episode but I guess the fire spread tremendously.

Daenerys gonna rule from Dragonstone then or as Queen of the Ashes?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Holy fuck! King's Landing is actually completely gone. It's literally just ruins now.

It didn't seem like that much damage was done last episode but I guess the fire spread tremendously.

What episode did you watch where it didnt look like that much damage lol

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
He does state that he isn't talking about the criticism of the execution and acknowledges it himself that there are issues with the execution.

"And again, I'm not talking about criticism of "well the execution was awful."

Are there issues with Daenerys' descent into destruction and devastation? Undoubtedly. It's rushed, it's hypercondensed. It might flow better if the show had three more episodes, but it doesn't.

Are those criticisms of it unfair? Absolutely not. I'd agree with some criticisms of the pacing and connective tissue in "The Bells."

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Lmao. That upgraded explosive Dragon fire sure does wonders.

Also, good lord are there a lot of Unsullied. Might be the most I've ever seen. Must've played some good hide and seek in ep 3.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He does state that he isn't talking about the criticism of the execution and acknowledges it himself that there are issues with the execution.

"And again, I'm not talking about criticism of "well the execution was awful."

Are there issues with Daenerys' descent into destruction and devastation? Undoubtedly. It's rushed, it's hypercondensed. It might flow better if the show had three more episodes, but it doesn't.

Are those criticisms of it unfair? Absolutely not. I'd agree with some criticisms of the pacing and connective tissue in "The Bells."
So basically these people agree with the criticisms but still try to label people who didn't like the episode overall as people who would never be ok with it when that's a small minority of dany avatar twitter users

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I think the implication was that after she watched her daughter die she would be tortured executed as well. Not that this was obvious by any stretch.

For how important she was for a while, I'm surprised that I just kind of forgot she existed. Makes sense since she didn't have anyone left really to save her but it's also odd when characters with important roles just kind of fade away.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao. That upgraded explosive Dragon fire sure does wonders.

Also, good lord are there a lot of Unsullied. Might be the most I've ever seen. Must've played some good hide and seek in ep 3.

The size of armies has been super inconsistent in the whole show. There's always a lot more of them when they're just standing around, and when it's battle there's always a whole lot less.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Does she regrow them in a laboratory or something? Holy shit they are insane. Where were all these Unsullied in the last 15 minutes of episode 3?

Edit: I think those behind them are Dothraki. Seriously fuck off 😆

Oct 25, 2017
The size of armies has been super inconsistent in the whole show. There's always a lot more of them when they're just standing around, and when it's battle there's always a whole lot less.
The Golden Company, twenty thousand strong! Battle starts, we see a hundred fifty standing at the ready, who then get blown up in four seconds.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
So the queen of dorne I assume is dead...what the fuck happened to Yara? Wasnt she enslaved there too?

Why are there so many unsullied when Dany only brought like 20 to negotiate with Cersei

Oct 25, 2017
This season really wanted the shock of her entire army getting wiped out without having to deal with the writing challenges that presents.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Where the fuck do all the Unsullied come from

There were initially 8000 of them. A LOT of them died in Essos, to Euron twice and to the Night King.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Awww yeah. I'm back on Team Daenerys.

On a related note I really like this scene from season 7

The music is on point and it's just great to see such a long awaited moment happen. After so long and so much she has finally returned to her birthplace. I hope we get some sort of discordant "mad" version of the theme.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I want is Melisandre's smoke baby to be revealed as the smoke monster from LOST, establishing that Dharma actually opened a portal to a medieval alternate universe and accidentally let the smoke monster through.

311xhq.jpg

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
So the queen of dorne I assume is dead...what the fuck happened to Yara? Wasnt she enslaved there too?

Why are there so many unsullied when Dany only brought like 20 to negotiate with Cersei
Theon helped her escape the ship in like the first episode and then she went to retake the iron islands in case the white walkers were too strong. Then he fast traveled to Winterfell.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a different version of episode 3 we weren't shown? I'm not going crazy in that by the end there were just individual named characters being surrounded by zombies right? Where were all these soldiers and cavalry?!

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Cersei's torture of choice for her was to watch her daughter's body rot and fall apart forever. As in, she'd be kept alive and probably even force-fed and the like.

Quite disturbing, I might say but it's a good thing Cersei's death was portrayed in a tragic manner, lol.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Does she regrow them in a laboratory or something? Holy shit they are insane. Where were all these Unsullied in the last 15 minutes of episode 3?

Edit: I think those behind them are Dothraki. Seriously fuck off 😆

At another gate would be there excuse ;)

Didn't they say the battle was holding them off from three directions?