• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I really hope this season ends with (speculation)

no one on the iron throne, and the seven kingdoms no longer being united.[/spoiler
I've seen a lot of people say this and with how the show this season(speculation spoiler)
treated kingdoms that arent Kings Landing or Winterfell, it would make sense. Nobody seems to give a shit about each other anymore and King's Landing is in ashes

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They could have made his fight more interesting or could have shown how Arya got there from the room they were barricaded in without teleporting behind the NK. The Mountain felt like a bigger final boss than this dude.

My point is that some prefer for the NK to be the endgame, but given the anti-climatic way he was going to go out, where he'd still remain as a mute one-dimensional ice zombie, I don't see how it would've been this much better thing than what we're getting now. Only difference IMO is that leaving Cersei/Dany for last could've actually worked with much better execution, but I frankly can't say the same for the NK. Writing was on the wall for that subplot.

Of course there's ways to make the fight itself better for people, but that's another matter.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yep

It's also especially funny that basically all the unsullied and dothraki and valemen and northerners died but sam, jaime and all other important people (who werent even important to the finale) survived.

By these people I mean people reposting him here in a counter effort to criticism.
I see, well then you have to ask them why they thought it was worth sharing. I read it yesterday and found it a good read as it touched upon the discussion around similar media more generally too and not just episode 8.5. And it also brought up interesting points/views about the episode/entire show I hadn't thought myself. I didn't think "that'll show them who didn't like the episode, we gottem!" People like and dislike different things in the episode anyway and for different reasons.

I don't think sharing that Twitter thread is any different than sharing criticism of the episode from outside this site, which has happened too.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I didn't know there were only 6 episodes in S8 until a moment ago.
Really curious how they are going to give an end to that mess in 805.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Something else that got a chuckle out of me. If Drogon's fire breath had that much concussive force behind it, shouldn't mowing the zombies with dragon fire have caused huge swaths of trenches to form? His fire breath was blowing up brick buildings, so I would imagine that where it hit on the ground would be cratered right? Maybe he has power level slider 🤔

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something else that got a chuckle out of me. If Drogon's fire breath had that much concussive force behind it, shouldn't mowing the zombies with dragon fire have caused huge swaths of trenches to form? His fire breath was blowing up brick buildings, so I would imagine that where it hit on the ground would be cratered right? Maybe he has power level slider 🤔

In hindsight, it's pure bullshit how inconsequential the dragons were in the Episode 3.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There weren't 3000 of anything alive fighting by the end of that episode lol. Probably not even 30 let alone 3000. Were they having a coffee break in the back or something? This could have been made to work with just a line about how half the forces were kept in reserve at the neck in case Winterfell was overrun. But nope.
Unless Dany was burning her own people they should have had minimal casualties.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

The gate kerploding out over the Golden Company was a bit much but knowing that dragon fire melts stone and brick I'm not too bothered about that. At least as far as the episode goes that's super far down the list of things I'm incredulous over.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
They said in 8x04 that Unsullied and Dothraki were half-sized.

They did, but in 8x03 they showed them getting mostly wiped out. Take the imagery of the last bits of episode 3 and suddenly add half of Dan's forces to it. Would look completely different right? The zombies were practically hugging some of these characters by the end.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should call them the 8 kingdoms now, unless the wildlings north of the wall are just northerners now. Also, maybe send some people up to see what's up in the far north now that there's no more undead threat or magical wall to stop you. In a post wall world, Westeros needs to work some things out after they kill this hysterical woman and put someone with a cock in charge.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

It's blowing up buildings because the temperature of the dragonflame is so hot it superheats the brick and causes it to explode. So it's not like the flame is propelling with a high kinetic energy, it just has very high thermal energy.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I didn't know there were only 6 episodes in S8 until a moment ago.
Really curious how they are going to give an end to that mess in 805.
That's what is most disappointing for me. I'm more bothered that there is no time left to deal with the aftermath properly, than the build up for it. Since for me Dany is right now more interesting character than she's ever been before. And also because Clarke has been really good imo, even though I've earlier disliked her work. I'd love to have more episodes, especially if it also ment the episodes would be longer as they now have been. It's such a bummer the show had to end, even though stretching shows don't usually lead to best results (neither does rushing). But GOT was already way beyond the point of ending at the top, so why not continue. I'd rather watch more D&D Game of Thrones than anything new Star Wars at this point.
This looks pretty cool and it's a damn shame GOT had such an interesting culmination and it lacked the ability to set it up properly and play with it's consequences. Dany's turn is, by far, the most interesting aspect of this show in the last few years and we will go straight to resolve it right away in the next ep.
Exactly :(

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The gate kerploding out over the Golden Company was a bit much but knowing that dragon fire melts stone and brick I'm not too bothered about that. At least as far as the episode goes that's super far down the list of things I'm incredulous over.
Oh it's not about what happened in KL, but more about what didn't happen in Winterfell. If Dragon's fire breath is that strong, than it should have been making massive trenches (which would have been a strategic element) into the ground when Jon and Dany were strafing about. Similar to what it was doing to the ice in beyond the wall.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should call them the 8 kingdoms now, unless the wildlings north of the wall are just northerners now. Also, maybe send some people up to see what's up in the far north now that there's no more undead threat or magical wall to stop you. In a post wall world, Westeros needs to work some things out after they kill this hysterical woman and put someone with a cock in charge.

They probably are just northern non citizens like the hill tribes of the Vale. But who's to say that the other kingdoms are still all going to be around... Who will run Highgarden (probably not Bronn), and the Iron Islands were promised independence iirc when Yara offered Dany her fleet.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
This looks pretty cool and it's a damn shame GOT had such an interesting culmination and it lacked the ability to set it up properly and play with it's consequences. Dany's turn is, by far, the most interesting aspect of this show in the last few years and we will go straight to resolve it right away in the next ep.
But you don't understand. 73 is the magic number

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
So what is the deal with Bronn, what the hell is he gonna do?

Tyrion's lucky if he doesn't get executed and even then why the fuck would Dany give him anything? He shot at Drogon.

Bronn might as well just stay north and start wheeling around Bran at this rate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So what is the deal with Bronn, what the hell is he gonna do?

Tyrion's lucky if he doesn't get executed and even then why the fuck would Dany give him anything? He shot at Drogon.

Bronn might as well just stay north and start wheeling around Bran at this rate.
"Cock"

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They probably are just northern non citizens like the hill tribes of the Vale. But who's to say that the other kingdoms are still all going to be around... Who will run Highgarden (probably not Bronn), and the Iron Islands were promised independence iirc when Yara offered Dany her fleet.
Bronn has so much frigging plot armor and marketing team shields . . .
Seemed almost the same to me. Could also be the temperature in the north. They said the dragons weren't doing so well up there.
And Viserion's fire did blow up a tower in WInterfell.
Does outdoor temperature affect fire?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
at this point i think the most likely ending is that
the seven kingdoms are broken up into smaller autonomous states

That would make zero sense, especially in the books. That's how things used to be and it wasn't great. As much as the other Lords hate it, the Targaryen dynasty brought a lasting peace to Westeros. Yes, there were still wars. But, the wars were less than when the Kingdoms were divided. Beforehand, the Kingdoms were constantly at war with each other. There was almost never a time when one kingdom wasn't at war with another. To revert back to such chaos does not seem like something the books are heading towards.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Can someone remind me about book version Bran's capabilities? Because I quite frankly dislike creatures and people with essentially godlike powers in a setting like that. While I've read the books I've kinda forgotten what exactly happened to Bran so far, though I guess he didn't develop/get powers like show Bran yet or I would have remembered.

In the books:

He can warg any living thing including human beings. He can even warg groups of living things like ravens.

If he dies, he can take over someone's body and live as that animal or person as a second life.

An extended lifespan.

Use the weirwoods to go back in time and see things or see anything anywhere in the present through the trees although the Three Eyed Crow says in time he'll be able to see beyond the trees themselves.

He's potentially able to take free will away. There's a point in the books where he reaches out to Hodor and tells him to be quiet after he's running around screaming. He accidentally wargs into him at that moment but then leaves him just as quickly and Hodor stays quiet unable to talk. So he might have the equivalent of the One Ring.

He'll be a god-like being in the books too though:

"The bleeding star bespoke the end," he said to Aeron. "These are the last days, when the world shall be broken and remade. A new god shall be born from the graves and charnel pits."

"Dragons and darker things," said Leo. "The grey sheep have closed their eyes, but the mastiff sees the truth. Old powers waken. Shadows stir. An age of wonder and terror will soon be upon us, an age for gods and heroes."

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one. The singers of the forest had no books. No ink, no parchment, no written language. Instead they had the trees, and the weirwoods above all. When they died, they went into the wood, into leaf and limb and root, and the trees remembered. All their songs and spells, their histories and prayers, everything they knew about this world. Maesters will tell you that the weirwoods are sacred to the old gods. The singers believe they are the old gods. When singers die they become part of that godhood."

The weirwoods are the old gods and Bloodraven and Bran are hooked into them.

"Most of him has gone into the tree," explained the singer Meera called Leaf. "He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. Only a little strength remains in his flesh. He has a thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch. One day you will know."

"What will I know?" Bran asked the Reeds afterward, when they came with torches burning brightly in their hand, to carry him back to a small chamber off the big cavern where the singers had made beds for them to sleep. "What do the trees remember?"

"Your blood makes you a greenseer," said Lord Brynden. "This will help awaken your gifts and wed you to the trees."

Bran did want to be married to a tree … but who else would wed a broken boy like him? A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. A greenseer.

He ate.

If you read GRRM's other stories, humans becoming gods (not in the divine sense) are a subject that's fascinated with along with memory, identity, psychics, moral flexibility and hiveminds.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are we really debating the strength and physical properties of the fire from the dragon now and how it might impact bricks lol.. let's not overthink this

Also, how do we feel about Jon telling his secret to Arya/Sansa?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Dany start feeding random noblemen to her dragon in series 5 because some of then, might... might have been conspiring against her.

To ne honest I think she was always a bit fucked up and often chose the most aggressive action before thinking it through, the attempt to abolish slavery by crucifying masters turned into botched mess, that she had to create 1 year slave contracts, and bring back fighting pits. And this temper escaleted when her best friends and two of her children' were killed, one of her advisors didn't trust her and when she got pummeled trying to do the honorable ways that Tyrion had suggested. I think next episode Dany might have a realisation moment, that the throne wasn't worth the fear she was trying to install.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Are bastard based on where they're born or to whom they are born? Because Jon Snow wasn't born in the North right (Ned's Official story)? So then Bran shouldn't be calling Jon by the Sand surname.

It's ambiguous. There's no hard and fast rules about it. If you're born in the North but raised in Dorne by your Dornish father, then you could be called Heshinsi Sand rather than Heshinsi Snow.

Oberyn's bastard daughters are called Sand despite them not all being born in Dorne.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Are we really debating the strength and physical properties of the fire from the dragon now and how it might impact bricks lol.. let's not overthink this

Also, how do we feel about Jon telling his secret to Arya/Sansa?
Makes sense for his character. Even if he only told Arya, Sansa would probably hear about it eventually and be even more pissed.

Sansa trying to force Jon to be king afterwards by leaking it was mad dumb.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't even need to respawn the army after episode 3 all Dany needed was one good dragon.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, maybe Ned wanted to tell the secret but he felt honorbound by Lyanna's wishes. He did tell Jon they'd speak of his mother the next time they met.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those talking about how much of an army she has left, if you go through the painstaking process of counting these rows, there are about 60 in each row. If each row is about as long, and maybe goes past the camera and what we see a bit.... I count 32 rows total? But we can pretend there are a few more than we see, even though we see ruins to left and right blocking more from lining up. This is 3000 left at tops, if we're generous. That seems a lot less crazy since she started with 10,000.

I think its more an issue of them not accurately showing the size of the armies in previous episodes rather than the actual numbers she has left.

To be fair, maybe Ned wanted to tell the secret but he felt honorbound by Lyanna's wishes. He did tell Jon they'd speak of his mother the next time they met.

Which makes sense since once he took the Black he would have given up his claim by default.