• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
As an actor, she's got to try to get into her character's headspace somehow. I don't blame her. She can't just go "yep, she's crazy"

This interview also draws attention to how dumb it is when even the person playing the character can't justify what a turn it was to murder the whole city. She's trying to justify it, but it's just bad and unearned

The weird thing is she doesn't even go into the genocide, just says that Dany flies over there to kill the Cersei, which would've been more than fine and justified.

Bloodshed

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's funny as hell to me for all the bitching people did about the nonsensical shit that got Rhaegal killed that Dany's grand plan to wipe out Cersei's army is to....attack them in broad daylight and let plot armor do it's job lmao. Suddenly Euron's fleet and Cersei's battery of scorpions ain't shit because Dany is mad? Lol ok.

Makes Rhaegal look like he went out like an even bigger chump if the ballistas are that ineffective now all of a sudden. They really didn't give a fuck and just wanted to get this over with geez.

In other news the preview next week has me intrigued but based on this season I'm guessing it's gonna be real anticlimactic and none of this development is gonna pay off in a meaningful way.
I actually liked everything that happened with the dragon (in terms of how it was utilized as a weapon). Dany was caught off guard and surprise attacked (which in itself was pretty dumb). But this time she had a plan by flying straight down from the clouds and keeping low enough as to not alert everyone immediately of her presence. It was shot and executed excellently as an action setpiece and strategic attack IMO. What the fuck can you do when you can't aim slow ass moving crossbows against a fire breathing dragon.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Makes Rhaegal look like he went out like an even bigger chump if the ballistas are that ineffective now all of a sudden. They really didn't give a fuck and just wanted to get this over with geez.

Or Rhaegal got surprised attacked to the heart and neck while the 2 dragons are play flying with her mother?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
But that was an army that faced her on the battlefield, it wasn't foreshadowing for her murdering thousands of people she had no qualms with.Flying straight for the castle and attempting to kill Cersei, inadvertently killing innocents with the debris? Sure, that's believable. Not this.
Oh yeah I agree completely. My post doesn't really make sense, her show arc to get there was what ruined it, not necessarily the moment itself. Mad Queen Dany is always something I saw happening because there was enough foreshadowing for it to happen. I just don't believe the Daenerys two episodes ago would even think about doing what she did.

I agree that I expected it to be "I'm gonna go get Cersei" and then semi-inadvertent collateral damage... spending 5 minutes scouring the streets for no apparent reason was definitely undersold, as was the Northern army just like, murdering random innocent civilians. (Aren't they conscripts and therefore mostly civilians? Do they just really hate Southerners? Or is it just like "soliders gonna soldier"?)
Also definitely agree about the tonal whiplash--probably always a problem with so many writers and directors but this is a far cry from "Keep your Queen warm"

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
she should have communicated with tyrion that she would burn the city down to quell Jon's claim in some unhinged way. that would have gone a long way to justify it in some peoples eyes. I'm fine with her post bell attack.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think we started to see signs of her change in season 7, and what happened in the last episode wasn't out of step with that. She became obsessed with her identity and what she felt was her right to the throne of the seven kingdoms, and she placed its importance above all else.

This was apparent when she:

*Demanded that Jon bend the knee even after she knew he was a genuinely good person and would be a reliable ally (and after falling in love with him!), despite the position that'd put him in in the North.
She agreed to help Jon and the North after seeing the threat, and THEN he bent the knee. She decided to help once she saw the threat was real. He caught feels and bent the knee anyway. Then he couldn't lie about it when they all went to meet Cersei. Jon's poor decisions fucked up her entire life's work. His "aw shucks, I don't even want a crown, guys." while he ruins everything isn't very endearing to me.

It could be tragic if it wasn't so rushed and silly. "No, my sisters that hate you wouldn't use this information against you. Everyone knowing about this wouldn't tear us apart and lead to your death. C'mon"

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what a dumb fucking episode. hated pretty much all of it, can't believe how sloppy the show has gotten and how amateur hour everything feels. the writers are doing a super shitty job and ignoring so much character development. thank god there's only one episode left. this show is gonna be like a bunch of other shows, like lost, where after it's done people are pretty much gonna pretend it never happened, just a 10 year long waste of time that completely jumped the shark in later seasons and made it obvious the show runners had no fucking idea what they were doing once they ran out of source material.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
People seemed to have not noticed how often Daenerys killed and burned innocent people when the innocent people being burned were brown.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest frustration atm is its clear we're going to get a really sad depressing ending and it was always advertised as bitter sweet. I don't see how this ends any way but bitterly. I don't see any positives.

If Westeros ends up ruled by the just Jon Snow, and the unstable Targaryen family is finally wiped out, that could be a positive.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is she doesn't even go into the genocide, just says that Dany flies over there to kill the Cersei, which would've been more than fine and justified.

Let's be fair here. 95% of her nuking King's Landing was CGI. All she had to do was a couple close-up scenes where she looks distraught over everyone betraying her.

Everything else was probably done on a computer in some HBO basement office. Kind of hard to feel that part of a genocidal meltdown when you're not actually acting anything out in person.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Japanese animation or CG?
WINTER HATING LOVE

Definitely Japanese.

We could get Ice Spiders and Elephants. A decent Dorne plot and Jaime's real ending. Throw dollars at some of the best Anime artists, because so many of them see their talent limited by production bullshit. That's the solution.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly depressing how useless Euron ended up being to this season.

Have the NK kill Rhaegal at Winterfell to further elevate the threat/power of the walkers. Arya can still kill NK, but they leave WF going "goddamn, this dude killed 2/3rds of our dragons, and we barely scraped by!"

Now you don't need Euron's E4 miracle shot that made less than 0 sense, now you don't have to artificially pump up how threatening Euron/Golden Company are, and you don't have to do the stupid bit about how powerful the scorpions are (which, by the way, were 100% destroyed in 5 minutes in E5).

Also, Euron/Jaime fight doesn't need to happen because Euron stabbing Jaime 100 times didn't even kill Jaime. Everything Euron did this season was really for nothing or a net negative to the plot.

Even more sense would have been to leave the scorpions a relative surprise and have rhaegal go down during this siege. Like sure have the scene with qyburn showing Cersei the scopion but then we don't see them in use until KL seige. It was super dumb how they were all mounted up there on the wall during the parlay scene too. Like we just saw them annihilate an entire fleet of ships and easily take out a dragon, and they are standing within range of a ruthless cersei.

A surprise ballista barrage out of nowhere during the KL seige would have made a lot more sense to bring down rhaegal and it wouldn't have made the ballistas seem shockingly overpowered and confusing like we got with e04. Then Dany snapping at least makes slightly more sense.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the Scorpions stuff, is it possible that Daenerys just got better at dodging? She has had some experience with them now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So I've made my points clear about Dany but I haven't really talked about the rest... which was also pretty bad IMO.

- Jaime's arc. Yeah, lots has been said about this. No valonqar, OK, whatever. The showrunners ignoring the lore is nothing new. But apparently they decided on this death because "they came in the world together and must die together" which is pretty trite. Jaime has had about zero redemption arc going on. It's possible that in the books, something happens that makes him "relapse" and fall back into Cersei's arms, but I'd honestly be shocked if that did happen, considering he burns Cersei's letter during her very lowest point in her life and ignores all her pleas for help. The showrunners just completely and utterly ignored this aspect of Jaime's story, and that really sucks.

- Drogon suddenly being buffed and/or Euron and the scorpions suddenly being nerfed. Memes aside, it's true that the discrepancy is completely bonkers. The scorpions killed Rhaegal and shredded those ships like it was nothing, and forced Dany to retreat. But upon her return, she just... completely and utterly nukes them effortlessly, without ever a threat to her or her dragon. Her army hardly needed to do even anything. The Golden Company was completely useless. lol?

- Similarly, Tyrion continues to be a useless moron. He has been utterly insufferable lately. What was the last smart or clever thing he did since he became Dany's advisor?

- What was Arya even doing beyond being useless? I get that her killing Cersei would have been "OP" and silly, and I'm generally OK with her saying "k fuck this" after the dragonfire napalm started wrecking everything, but there was so much focus on her, and that horse at the end was just... bizarre.

- Cleganebowl... meh, OK. Just reeked of fanservice. I wish there had been some twist or... I don't know, something beyond just a standard fight resulting in a double KO. It felt trite and predictable and I didn't really care. :( I must say, I predicted that the internet would rage more at Cleganebowl being disappointing than they would at anything else, and I was certainly completely wrong on that. LOL.

Predictions on the next episode (note that I've avoided leaks and I have a very poor track record so far, lol):
- Dany executes Tyrion for treason
- Jon gets mad and kills Dany. In which case, I don't know who gets the throne, because Jon getting it seems too... predictable?

- Or perhaps, in some ultimate twist, Dany actually wins and rules as Queen of Ashes, but is so feared and hated for what she did that that it plants the seeds for a future rebellion in decades to come, leaving an "open" ending.

Thing is, I don't know how, even if Jon kills Dany, they could get rid of Drogon. Drogon would surely be pissed off at losing his mother, and there's no scorpion left to kill it. Would Jon tame Drogon somehow? Would Drogon fly off and fuck off somewhere? Dany just seems way too OP right now.

As for the North... I don't even know anymore. Dany would want to subjugate them but they want nothing to do with her and will likely rally behind Sansa. Would Dany fly to Winterfell and burn it down too? >.>

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Sansa outplayed everyone, she needs more credit.
latest

Yeah, no. The animosity she showed towards Dany was completely unfounded at the time. Dany was probably the sole reason they even stood a chance against the NK. She lost all her friends and two dragons because she decided to help the north. All sansa did was shit on her and scheme behind the scenes. The north propped themselves up on the corpses of Danys friends.

No wonder she snapped.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Discussions about whether these actions are from the author's notes about what was going to happen are actually irrelevant: GRRM likes doing the unexpected and surprising people, and the events in this episode are in the book *after* the one he is currently writing. It would be very much his style to *change* certain outcomes to be different from what was in the show. He has already said that the show and the books are different things altogether, not necessarily telling the same story.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
And absolutely no one asked for Jaime v Euron, not to mention how ridiculous it was he crawls out the blackwater right there, alone, for a throw down lol.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
A better story would have been Cersei turning out to be the 'mad queen' when they were all (for no reason!) expecting Dany to be it.

Cersei is losing so she just tries to blow up the whole city and in the end its Dany who saves them somehow, at the cost of her revenge to make it even more obvious she is actually good.

Makes way more sense that Cersei is the crazy one after all these seasons of her constantly proving it.

But nar let's just make all the characters turn on Dany and cause her to go nuts instead!

>_>

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So what did Cersei do this season asides from starring smugly out a window for like 90% of her screen time, having regretful sex with Euron, and wanting elephants?

Like... she had no real plan to fight Dany at all.
She had a plan she just vastly underestimated her enemy despite multiple people who had seen it first hand telling her otherwise.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
To me they did a decent job building up to a Tyrant Queen Dany. They did a terrible job building Dany's character into Batshit Insane Dany. That was so unearned

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. The animosity she showed towards Dany was completely unfounded at the time. Dany was probably the sole reason they even stood a chance against the NK. She lost all her friends and two dragons because she decided to help the north. All sansa did was shit on her and scheme behind the scenes. The north propped themselves up on the corpses of Danys friends.

No wonder she snapped.
dany: "hey northerners i've come to save your asses"
sansa: "thanks i hate u"

Absolute trash lmao
Smartest person i've ever known lmao
Get the fuck outta here d&d