• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
How Bran will end up in King's Landing so fast

f-Y_Ln.gif

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I'm going to join the "I liked the last episode" crowd. I've actually enjoyed most of this season. Is the the writing and character development amazing? Nope but I've found most of it believable although a bit rushed.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Just show of hands, how many prople who hated this outcome feel like GRRM will do a much better job of it if/when the books catch up?

Or are Dany's actions so reprehensible that it retroactively ruins a lot of the series, regardless of how fleshed out it is?

Not a loaded question, just genuinely curious because I'm convinced this was always where Martin was headed.

Most likely this was were Martin was heading.

But it would have been better written. Like characters would have been more justified, there wouldn't be crazy heelturns and in general there's be a lot less character assassination (reffering to Jamie and Tyrion here, not Dany).

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people have watched and loved a show for a decade, they usually will finish it. Especially when it's in the cultural zeitgeist and there are still redeeming things about that show.

The people expecting others to either drop the show or stop criticizing it are being unreasonable
Not really? There are plenty of shows I and many people stop watching because there not enjoyable anymore. Why watch something to complain about it week after week for sometimes years? It's pathetic honestly.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Daenerys has been trash tier since "muh dragons" seven seasons ago and y'all should've boarded the hate train then.

Jan 10, 2018
Dany going mad is a great concept, but it needed more buildup and her "snap" needed more justification. There was more than enough to push her over the edge, but it all felt a bit rushed.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019

I don't know about y'all but I like the episode.

Dany did the right thing. Burn them all.

Fuck Tyrion and Jaime tho.
Yup, I'm on the Dany boat on this thing, after the 2nd dragon and Melissandrae died, I just wanted complete destruction and mayhem in kings landing. Teach the people that a new queen is in town, and she ain't taking no prisoners.

I want to see Sansa burn too, she's gotten annoying.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
While I personally do think that "Mad Queen" will be in the books in some way, shape, or form (as the whole point of the dragons thematically is that winning using such a destructive force renders victory pyrrhic), everyone pointing to that as a reason for last night's laughable absurdity is ignoring the fact that it still made no sense whatsoever.

Even if we are to draw parallels to Aerys II, it's important to note that he grew steadily paranoid and crazy over many years. His ultimate insanity was a gradual process that was the result of multiple events. Further, his defining act as the Mad King - attempting to burn down King's Landing - was a premeditated scheme meant to deprive Robert Baratheon of the capital if it looked as though he was going to win. His "burn them all" moment wasn't some final psychotic snap - it was him realizing that the rebellion was about to be won, and an order to Lord Rossart to ignite the wildfire caches he had hidden away for that exact purpose many months before, directly following Jon Connington's loss at Stoney Sept.

So, no, Daenerys final breaking point does not make sense even in comparison to the Mad King. With Aerys, we know why he acted the way he did. Here? Well, D&D said that Jon rejecting her was the "trigger," or however they put it. She even agreed to Tyrion's surrender conditions before the battle, and although she has felt great loss this season, has been speaking out against tyrants every chance she gets. And then, after certain victory, decides to massacre innocents needlessly? They made little to no effort to explain why she opted to simply slaughter civilians in the street after complete victory was secured. They just did it for the shock and awe twist. That's all the show has been about for years now.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dany's turn wasn't out of character, but they definiely did not do the work in showing it. No, foreshadowing is not a replacement for showing a character having agency and making decisions. Much of the internal and external struggle Dany went through over the past few episodes have occurred with her off-screen.

What I think would have been better would be to have the beginning of this episode up until the battle follow Dany from scene to scene, showing her reaction to finding out Jon spilling the beans, Varys betraying her, dealing with Missandei's death etc... That way, we as the viewer have a more intimate connection with her descent to madness, rather than having it weakly implied off screen.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I thought the last episode was actually quite good. It seems like it's just becoming the internet cool thing to do in shitting on this show now...

Last edited:

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao bruh
Is all I got

I mean at least it looked great?
From a stand-alone point of view, I think this was the best episode in the season in terms of enjoyment and beautifully shot too.

Not discounting the laughably bad character turn for dany, the cheap deaths, how Arya still fucking survived(lol) and just how it ruins the show and books overall. The only way to redeem this would be to really commit and just let dany fuckin sit the throne..but you know they are gonna pussy out and give us the shitty ending where she dies fighting Jon, who is 'forced' to sit the throne or abdicates it for someone else. Overall the treatment of women characters in the show has been trash, opposite of what GRR does.

And imagine the content and threads they still need to resolve in one fucking episode, major LOL. HBO and D&D done fucked up man.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly surprised more people, especially here with its progressive bent, didn't criticize the episode more. I mostly enjoyed it, while I think the season has been a shit show due to the Army of the Dead resolution and toss aside, at least I felt this episode closed a bunch of arcs. Maybe not in entirely satisfying ways and a whole lot of jumps from A to Z with nothing in between, but at least Kings Landing is toast, Cersei, Euron, Jaime, Cleganes, Varys, and Qyburn are dead, and Lannisters forces are wiped out.

I'm surprised more people aren't enraged by

-- Dany goes nuts because a man rejected her. Episode could have easily had her go crazy because her second dragon or Missandei die (moved from prev episode) but nope, its because Jon rejects her and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Is the lesson from GoT that women are not fit to rule? That really seems to be the narrative, especially when combined with Cersei. The "after episode" stream with the two writers also confirm Dany went mad because of Jon, so its not really meant to be open ended, they literally wrote it that way.

Jon, the man she loved, then found out he was the true heir to the throne and therefore a threat, has at a minimum shown he's got split loyalties and by letting the cat out of the bag to his sisters, and has ensured pretty much everyone around Westeros will hear it too and weaken her claim. Slapping her dick on the table as hard as possible to show she's the new big bad makes sense to her at that point. She's been trying to play with kid gloves since landing and listening to her advisers. It hasn't worked out so well so far. Now it's fuck it, Dany's way.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha holy shit he really was right. Didn't think of that... If only Ned had listened.
Yeah, Robert's paranoia proved to be correct. Joffrey brought it up a few seasons later as well.
Ned had shell shock from seeing the Targaryen children's corpses after the sack of King's Landing. Hearing that Robert wanted to kill another child wasn't pleasant to him, so I understand him lol. Man...Eddard really loved kids, he wouldn't even seize the throne if it meant Joffrey and his siblings getting hurt.

Watching Jon walk the streets witnessing this carnage reminded me of Ned witnessing the aftermath. He demanded Tywin to the take the black and the rest of his men executed. It was serious. I wonder what Jon has in mind. Hope we see Dany's head rolling.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um where are we supposed to discuss speculation for next episode if we can't do it here?

I get putting speculation in spoilers, but forbidding it entirely in the only OT for the show seems completely ridiculous. We have literally nowhere else to talk about it at. There is only this thread and the leaks thread and thats it. Are we supposed to have a 3rd thread just for speculation?

Morrigan Finale Fireworker shira
Does a mod who knows the ending want to make that thread?
Morrigan Finale Fireworker Volimar

It's going to get tricky with people just outright posting the leaked ending and hiding behind - it's just a guess though.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
People wanted Dany to burn Kings landing since Joffrey days. Now that she went all out rage mode people are unhappy... Before she had no reason, now she had plenty of reason.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Then they just wiped it all to the side, basically. Dany comes in and destroys all the enemy defenses without any actual effort.
They tried to warn Cersei several times about what would happen. Hell even S7 said "yea no Dany might steamroll this..."

Army of the dead which had a dragon of its own, backed by ice magic and harsh weather made us forget all those times Dany's dragons steamrolled through a conflict between regular humans.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine watching last night's episode with your daughter named Daenerys or Khaleesi.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'm on the Dany boat on this thing, after the 2nd dragon and Melissandrae died, I just wanted complete destruction and mayhem in kings landing. Teach the people that a new queen is in town, and she ain't taking no prisoners.

I want to see Sansa burn too, she's gotten annoying.
You lot cool with dead kids now? Screw Dany.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Me on Discord last night.

"I accepted the bad writing YEARS ago and I'm here for the pretty colours"

lol

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm honestly surprised more people, especially here with its progressive bent, didn't criticize the episode more. I mostly enjoyed it, while I think the season has been a shit show due to the Army of the Dead resolution and toss aside, at least I felt this episode closed a bunch of arcs. Maybe not in entirely satisfying ways and a whole lot of jumps from A to Z with nothing in between, but at least Kings Landing is toast, Cersei, Euron, Jaime, Cleganes, Varys, and Qyburn are dead, and Lannisters forces are wiped out.

I'm surprised more people aren't enraged by

-- Dany goes nuts because a man rejected her. Episode could have easily had her go crazy because her second dragon or Missandei die (moved from prev episode) but nope, its because Jon rejects her and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Is the lesson from GoT that women are not fit to rule? That really seems to be the narrative, especially when combined with Cersei. The "after episode" stream with the two writers also confirm Dany went mad because of Jon, so its not really meant to be open ended, they literally wrote it that way.

- Cersei, the women who put her children above all else and controlled her own destiny once she realized she could, dies crying in the arms of the man she only truly loved and really did pretty much nothing in season 8. No plans, backup strategies, political maneuvering, alliances, etc just "welp guess Its time to die". Crushed by a rock.

- Was Brienne of Tarth's final scene crying over the man she loved rejecting her and going back to his true love? The only female knight in the 7K who has been a pillar of morality and strength for 7 seasons finishes like season 1 sansa?

The treatment of women over the last few episodes has been awful.

However, I don't think it's fair to say that the kiss pushed her over the edge because she's a woman and loves Jon. Rather that it showed her that no one in Westeros is truly comfortable or supportive of her and she's gonna have to rely on force.

If only Jorah didn't stop that poisoning in Season 1 then none of this would've happened.

Jorah died for nothing. She's basically spit on his sacrifice.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What happen to the misteries surrounding Varys's past? They hyped us with that scene involving another red priestess for nothing at all in the end. Lame.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Does a mod who knows the ending want to make that thread?
Morrigan Finale Fireworker Volimar

It's going to get tricky with people just outright posting the leaked ending and hiding behind - it's just a guess though.

I mean I guess you have a good point, but its gonna be pretty hard to keep speculation about the finale out of the OT for the show itself. Especially when there are people like me who love to speculate and theorize, but have absolutely no interest whatsoever in being spoiled by the leaks.

I mean this entire series has been built upon fan theories and speculation.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I've been thinking "why does she want the throne so badly?" for a while. Something was always off with her to me

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Man that dragon... she sure turned it up to 11. Otherwise, fairly good this episode. I liked Cleganebowl and Arya's arc, Jamie was devoted to his sister to the end and the Euron side stuff was always a waste. They went from ace dragon killers to inept shipmates in one episode which reinforces how poor the writing was on that side of the islands.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just show of hands, how many prople who hated this outcome feel like GRRM will do a much better job of it if/when the books catch up?

Or are Dany's actions so reprehensible that it retroactively ruins a lot of the series, regardless of how fleshed out it is?

Not a loaded question, just genuinely curious because I'm convinced this was always where Martin was headed.

I have no issue with the outcome, and I bet this is what will happen in the books. My issue is there isn't enough to justify Dany massacring civilians and children after the town surrendered.

When it happens in the books I will probably be fine with it because GRRM will show what leads up to it and justify the turn.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dany going full Mad Queen was fully in line with where her character has been going from the very start. The speed at which it happened is more up for debate

She has at times been harsh toward her enemies, but never shown insanity or evil. Not even a hint imo.

Need, Jon, Robb all executed people, even children, who betrayed them or broke laws. Tormund and Ygritte slaughtered a village of farmers, women, and children for no real reason at all. The Lannisters brag about exterminating an entire House and all its heirs and successors.

Dany forbid the essential part of Dothraki culture of raping and pillaging after conquest. She married enemies and put her supporters on trial when they broke the law. She sacrificed nearly everything for Jon's war in the north.

But Dany's the one everyone decides must be nuts, and the one who says fuck it I'll just murder every single peasant in this city for no reason now that I've finally won, even though never in the entire series has she shown anything but justice and mercy for commoners (even chaining her "children" for killing a commoner child).