• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Season 6 was an improvement over Season 5 and that Battle of the Bastards was pretty good, but it just wasn't the same after Season 4...

Poor Brynden Tully. :(

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
It was a good finale, IMO. Similar to Breaking Bad. Wrapped up the show in a way that wasn't too surprising (except Bran) but still felt satisfying.

It also helped make aspects of the Winterfell and King's Landing Battles better in retrospect. Arya was able to kill the Night King because she was Nobody. If Jon had faced the Night King he would have died and wouldn't have been in place to stop Dany like Bran basically told him. Dany wasn't mad like her father just drunk on power and blinded by her emotions. I didn't predict Bran as King but he's the logical choice. His wealth of knowledge and extra sight are more valuable than a leader influcenced by their emotions. I loved the end montage of the Starks together one last time before going their separate ways.

As for the ending being rushed, I don't care. For me this 6 episode spectacle was entertaining. An extra 1 and a half seasons of small talk, travel between battles and expanding on periphery nations like Dorne/Iron Islands and other side characters was unnecessary.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, but I can't get over this, of all of the B.S. in the last 2 seasons. What on earth was the point of Bran warging out during The Long Night? It was the equivalent of, "I'm gonna sit here and read a magazine during the D-Day invasion" in Saving Private Ryan.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Wasted opportunity to not have a shot of Drogon and dead Dany in Valyria. Would have been beautiful, but I guess they wanted to keep it vague.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me that GRRM likely gave D&D a list of where characters end up (Bran is king, Cersi is dead, Jon goes to the Night's Watch, Sansa is queen of the north, Dany is killed etc...) years ago with the assumption they'd at least get book six to help them get the characters closer to the finale.

That didn't happen and D&D were forced to write it themselves (and apparently their relationship with GRRM broke down in the process). So to be honest that makes me feel a little better about where everybody ended up. Of course the journey on how they got there is a mess.

One side note, I see it mentioned a lot that Bran plays a big role in the books but was a pretty minor character here. I think that could explain why GRRM picked him as king but why his choice seems so weird in the show. They failed miserably in developing Bran's character given where he ends up.
I highly doubt GRRM knows the ending. The guy explicitly said he didn't even know what happens next in the following chapter he was writing and had to write several versions to see what works. This is Full Metal Alchemist all over again. Dumb and Dumber were forced to be writers on their own and they suck at it.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I have to say the fact that the entire mood seemed to change, with sunshine and rainbows just after Dany died kinda goes against everything this story stood for.

This isn't really a bittersweet ending. It's a happy ending for people who are able to stretch suspension of disbelief to unimaginable levels.

If GRRM goes the same route, I will film myself eating all of his books

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I had a crazy ass dream that Sam was actually a murderous sadist and killed a bunch of people in a secret epilogue and then another war starts lol

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I highly doubt GRRM knows the ending. The guy explicitly said he didn't even know what happens next in the following chapter he was writing and had to write several versions to see what works. This is Full Metal Alchemist all over again. Dumb and Dumber were forced to be writers on their own and they suck at it.
Nah he knows the ending but he doesn't know how he gets there yet. He's repeatedly said the ending will be broadly the same in the books.

Oct 25, 2017
Jon really just found out his true identity only to be forced out of the Kingdoms and I understand why.
He would've been a political tool for many Lords as he's the last Targaryen alive.
Some want him dead for killing Daenerys, others would want him to become King, as long as he remained South of the Wall there will always be some issue, worse still if he had children with any highborn lady. He really did have to go. His life was simpler as Jon Snow, Bran didn't have to put that on him, this is sad af.

If only it was written better.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have to say the fact that the entire mood seemed to change, with sunshine and rainbows just after Dany died kinda goes against everything this story stood for.

This isn't really a bittersweet ending. It's a happy ending for people who are able to stretch suspension of disbelief to unimaginable levels.

The season being condensed into 6 episodes was terrible.

The ending shot of one episode should have been drogon flying off with dany and jon alone in the throne room.

Instead we get the weirdest tonal shift ever

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the bittersweet part is that Dany murdered millions and had to be put down

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I feel like it could easily have been 2 episodes.... it felt like 2 episodes compressed into one. Much like episode 4

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bran punishing Jon by sending him to the NW was a ruse to get Greyworm to be okay that Jon was actually sendt to where he belongs, his home, the north with the wildlings, Ghost and Tormund.

Alliser Throne: "You will be fighting their battles forever".

Happy with the ending.
Jon will just stay behind the Wall now?

He fucks off to the north where he doesn't have to bother with politics.

Jon entering the NW was like

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Bran punishing Jon by sending him to the NW was a ruse to get Greyworm to be okay that Jon was actually sendt to where he belongs, his home, the north with the wildlings, Ghost and Tormund.

Alliser Throne: "You will be fighting their battles forever".
Not just Greyworm, Yara Greyjoy wants his head too. I'm sure Dorne is not a fan of him either.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So we all agree that the best bit of writing in this entire season was Varys talking to the little girl about Dany not eating, very subtly implying that he was trying to have Dany poisoned?

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Just finished the last episode. I didn't actually hate it in context with episodes 4 and 5. I think episode 4 and 5 kicked me through the stages of grief and I was already at acceptance well before starting episode 6.

I really didn't like a lot of the 'developments' during episode 4 and 5 regarding Dany for the most part. Euron too. He was either sadistically overlevelled or outright fodder. As many have said before me he was whatever the plot needed him to be.

As a continuation of episode 4 and 5 I found 6 to be pretty good. I still don't like, or outright hate most of the arcs from those episodes. Not really even because of their conclusions, it just felt like we were being given answers/plot points without being shown proof of working.

I did like seeing John actually interacting with Ghost. It was a miracle they could get the budget for that sort of thing.

James Darmody

Nov 22, 2018
I can accept Bran being leader but he never finished his training and the mark he received from the NK left open the possibility that he wasn't what he portrayed himself to be. That would've been an interesting thread at the end of the show but I understand they didn't have enough time to flesh that out.

Also Bran the Broken, is that there to inspire the small folk to think that anyone from any walk of life can be King. Lmao so are they endorsing a meritocracy? All the problems of the council scene remind me of criticisms people have with meritocracy in general. At least the decision making aspect of it. Bran was a safe pick if they wanted to shake the table they should've made Davos King.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think a large part of why the show felt hollow to me at this last moment is that it literally was quite hollow. It's just a handful of actors in a derelict city deciding the fate of the land in a vacuum. All this talk of the people and apart from the scene of Cersei walking through the streets being spat on we never really see the people's opinions on all of this throughout the entire show.

Also the Jon and Danaerys scene, why on earth was she alone with no security at all, it almost made the while thing feel like a dream. Plus I expected that huge moment of him killing Danny to take place in front of all the assembled lords. Would have been far more impactful but then I guess he really would have had to have been executed on the spot..

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Just like the whole season, no logic behind almost anything that happened during the finale episode .. "great, magnificent" ending to a previously fantastic show

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The scene with them going north showed the snow thawing and plants emerging.

I belive the implication is The White Walkers were the reason beyond The Wall was a frozen hell scape and it was magic induced. "The Land of Always Winter" was the White Walkers main area of operation for thousands of years and likely the source of "Winter"
I didn't see any signs of spring (though I was watching on a fairly small screen, so I might've missed some finer details) and I didn't get that implication at all. I mean, it's not like it has always been winter at the Wall. There are periods when it's so warm that the wall starts to melt. I haven't gotten the impression that the world of GOT completely foregoes natural climate based on location. Even if the White Walkers bring a really harsh winter with them magically somehow, I don't think their disappearance will make North of the wall all that much more livable. Like, maybe they don't freeze to death, but it still seems like a fairly harsh & barren land.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't know how Tyrion thinks Bran will inspire people lol.

Jon Snow still avenged the Red Wedding and in the end, even though he bent the knee to Dany, he still killed her and ultimately that lead to the North being a independent kingdom. All he got for that work is a job at the wall. Not even a T shirt.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was a fake leak that had the NK win at Winterfell and everyone had to retreat to the iron islands. That sounded a lot more plausible to me.

But deus ex arya happened

The original leaks from a year ago seemed so stupid as to be unbelievable (Arya leaping at the Night King with a dagger, Bran elected King, etc.). But they were true... all of it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
When Bran was like "I should check on Drogon" I was like awww yeeeeah rubs hands together let's see what's going on in The Shadow Lands or wherever.

But then Bran just wheels out of the scene lmao
;_;

Oct 27, 2017
When Dany goes mad in the books, she'll have done it after a lot more time of build up and the story will be told from her perspective so you'll have a better idea what she's thinking. I imagine it'll be framed much different. Also I expect she'll do more than just sack KL.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also the Jon and Danaerys scene, why on earth was she alone with no security at all, it almost made the while thing feel like a dream. Plus I expected that huge moment of him killing Danny to take place in front of all the assembled lords. Would have been far more impactful but then I guess he really would have had to have been executed on the spot..

I briefly thought the same thing, but I think the implication was that Drogon was the security, and Jon was able to get past (and was ultimately spared) because of his blood and his intimacy to Dany.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
When Bran was like "I should check on Drogon" I was like awww yeeeeah rubs hands together let's see what's going on in The Shadow Lands or wherever.

But then Bran just wheels out of the scene lmao
;_;
I still maintain/hope that Tyrion's "ask me in 10 years" and "don't be so sure we won't meet" is leaving the door open for a revival season in decade.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has the show ever done multiple long fade to black transitions to show the passage of time? They were fucking with the language of the show

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also I am sure literally every single person who is familiar with the history and lore of the series finds it fucking hilarious that Sansa gets to separate the North from the 7 Kingdoms and yet the generic Prince of Dorne that was present said literally nothing about it. The lore surrounding Dorne and their attitude towards being apart of the 7 kingdoms is well founded and has been set in stone since Aegon the Conqueror. It has been a running theme of both the books and the show. Its the very reason why people are so hostile towards Dorne and its people.

The idea that literally any Martell or representative of Dorne would ever take such news without saying anything at all or even trying to speak up is not only completely unbelievable it is fucking hilarious. D&D have never read the lore of the series. That scene proved that much to me. That was one of the most unbelievable moments of the entire episode to me due to just how blatantly it went against everything that GRRM had ever written about Dorne and its people.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
When Dany goes mad in the books, she'll have done it after a lot more time of build up and the story will be told from her perspective so you'll have a better idea what she's thinking. I imagine it'll be framed much different. Also I expect she'll do more than just sack KL.
not really, I think the whole point of hte series is that no matter the motive, once they get power, they all become "corrupt"

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Also I am sure literally every single person who is familiar with the history and lore of the series finds it fucking hilarious that Sansa gets to separate the North from the 7 Kingdoms and yet the generic Prince of Dorne that was present said literally nothing about it. The lore surrounding Dorne and their attitude towards being apart of the 7 kingdoms is well founded and has been set in stone since Aegon the Conqueror.

The idea that literally any Martell or representative of Dorne would ever take such news without saying anything at all or even trying to speak up is not only completely unbelievable it is fucking hilarious. D&D have never read the lore of the series. That scene proved that much to me.

That was one of the most unbelievable moments of the entire episode to me due to just how blatantly it went against everything that GRRM had ever written about Dorne and its people.

Bowed. Bent. Broken.

Shambles

Oct 25, 2017
they just didn't want to fuss with that exposition and i can't blame them (limited to 120 mins) but yeah it is pretty funny when you think about it.

"i dunno man, i think she tripped and fell off the tower or something? let me know if you find her"

"Does anyone have a mop for this bloo- I mean, cranberry juice on the floor?"

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I will never get over Tyrion, the prisoner, being allowed to shape the world's government while Jon Snow was the only person punished despite being the one guy who had the right to do what he did.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So right after Dany saw the throne in her vision in the house of undying, see turns, walks away and sees Drogo and her baby and unites with them. So it means she was always gonna die after seeing the throne for the first time.