• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
ggu1blignjz21.jpg

Good luck, Star Wars fans!
Screenshot_20190521-135320_Chrome.jpg

womp womp

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
But Tyrion is a CENTRAL figure to the entire war. You cannot tell the story - you literally can't describe the sequence of events - without once mentioning his name. It's impossible.

Honestly you can do this. You just rewrite things. Stories don't have to be true. Very little of everything in the bible is corroborated by external sources, and there are even some historians who doubt the Israelites' captivity in Egypt and escape over the Red Sea (or the Reed Sea, or whatever) are historical events.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Honestly you can do this. You just rewrite things. Stories don't have to be true. Very little of everything in the bible is corroborated by external sources, and there are even some historians who doubt the Israelites' captivity in Egypt and escape over the Red Sea (or the Reed Sea, or whatever) are historical events.
Yeah but it makes no sense in the context of it being written as the events are still happening and tyrion is still alive

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first part of the episode was the worst and completely agree with FilmCrit Hulk's take:

(small thread)

Seems a lot of people tend to reduce directing to "cool shots". It wasn't well directed at all. Tyrion walking for minutes, standing over his dead family for so long, that scene in prison with him and Jon, and worst for me, the final scene between Dany and Jon (though that's more on the writing) "I don't know what's good" "yes you do, you have always done! This is our reason.. Etc". Was getting SW prequel vibes "so you say love has blinded you?"
Drogon burning the throne was as subtle as a sledgehammer #symbolism.

The rhythm of everything was completely off, to slow to give an emotional punch although the actors tried to act the shit out of it.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Jeez, ok. If you say so.

The idea of there being countless Three-Eyed Ravens is a show ass-pull. And at no point was that idea elaborated, or even hinted at that it was something possessing the users. Three-Eyed Raven isn't a separate entity, it's the moniker that comes with the ability set and the endless knowledge that shapes a person's persona.

Yep. In the books, it's not an entity. Just one of Bloodraven's nicknames.

The official title is a greenseer which is another word for wizard.

Oct 25, 2017
So.

I've watched it. The only good thing was Jon interacting with Drogon (emerging from snow, in particular... ha! from Snow, get it. GET IT YOU F-- ) , but the whole inconsistent ash-snow versus "now it's sunny, and everyone is here", kinda bothered me.

I have very little feelings towards it since the real ending is episode 3 anyway. "Winter is coming", and it should have come to King's Landing with the dead in tow. Honestly, what I had expected from the intro at episode 1 was that they would finally reveal where the crypt under Winterfell goes, leading into a tunnel all the way to the south (perhaps passing the crypts of the first men even), so that the plan could fail and some heroes could make it south for a last stand, rather than what we got. Bran could have "lived" through warging, and sending Sam and Tyrion (and Sansa) into the crypt as its defenders would make more sense if they were leading a desperate charge deeper into them, rather than hiding.
Something like that. Either way, combining a 'status quo' story with a 'stand or fall together' story was never going to work. You can't have your Aristotelean fiction and a Hegelian fiction at the same time.

As for Dany, show Dany has been a consistently bad queen (that white savior complex) so her end was hardly unexpected, but there still being so many unsullied and dothraki around.... uurgh.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
- Meera explicitly says Bran died in that cave.
- Bran also stated he is the 3ER raven now, not Bran
- Bran says numerous of times that he keeps an overview that everyone are where they are suppose to be, which means if they are not where they are suppose to be, 3ER mainpulates the world somehow
- Bran is dead and is the 3ER, that means the 3ER has taken over and is posessing Brans body, whatever the power of 3ER is, for all we know, the lord of light and 3ER is the same.
- Bran says he knew what was gonna happen when they named him king, confirming he somehow knows the future as well.

Bran is dead and is posessed by the 3ER which means 3ER is king.

Isaac has refuted that theory. Bran is the Three Eyes Raven. It's the same continuing conscious, it's just that Bran has tons of memories that aren't his. When he says that he's not Bran anymore he means that Bran's memories are only a smart part of who he is now.

Bran: "I remember what it was like to Brandon Stark but I remember so much else now."

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first part of the episode was the worst and completely agree with FilmCrit Hulk's take:

(small thread)

Seems a lot of people tend to reduce directing to "cool shots". It wasn't well directed at all. Tyrion walking for minutes, standing over his dead family for so long, that scene in prison with Jon, and worst for me, the final scene between Dany and Jon (though that's more on the writing) "I don't know what's good" "yes you do, you have always done! This is our reason.. Etc". Was getting SW prequel vibes "so you say love has blinded you?"
Drogon burning the throne was as subtle as a sledgehammer #symbolism.

The rhythm of everything was completely off, to slow to give an emotional punch although the actors tried to act the shit out of it.

Yeah I hate this too. Leave the directing to the professionals. They should have brought back Neil Marshall or Alan Taylor or someone like that for the finale (since David Nutter and Miguel Sapochnik were already bust with other episodes). Or Michelle McLaren.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yeah but it makes no sense in the context of it being written as the events are still happening and tyrion is still alive

You're expecting it to be something like the Red Book of Westmarch, but this isn't how histories work in real life. People write what they want to read.

The scene in which this is presented is a brief moment of comic relief at the end of a massive and brutal fantasy epic. It's a funny and wry look at the process of marginalisation.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This was all marketing. I did not have any interest in ever reading any of the books, but now this show has disappointed me so thoroughly that now I'm STRONGLY considering reading them all just to get a "better" (more coherent, really) ending.

Come to the thread that I'm starting this week.

We have a lot of show only fans joining in to start a read of the story and some people wanting to re-read.

Show spoilers allowed but book spoilers need to be hidden.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
You're expecting it to be something like the Red Book of Westmarch, but this isn't how histories work in real life. People write what they want to read.

The scene in which this is presented is a brief moment of comic relief at the end of a massive and brutal fantasy epic. It's a funny and wry look at the process of marginalisation.

But it falls completely flat. Tyrion basically started everything. He's been hand to three different kings. It makes no sense, and it does nothing to either relieve anything, or tells us anything about anything. It's extremely stupid.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meera being written out of the history of the war of the five kings makes sense. She is an unsung hero that no one will remember in history:

Same with people like Gilly, Podrick, and Tormund.

It would be egregious, but you could even see someone like Seleyse not being mentioned in a history of the war, if the historian focused on Stannis and his red priestess and didn't feel the need to name who his queen was.

But Tyrion is a CENTRAL figure to the entire war. You cannot tell the story - you literally can't describe the sequence of events - without once mentioning his name. It's impossible.

How do you even describe the start of the war without mentioning that Cat abducted the queens brother to charge him with murder which in turn caused the kingslayer to attack the hand of the king, murder his men, and cripple him for life?

How do they mention the death of Tywin Lannister without mentioning that he was killed by his son, the imp?

How do they talk about princess Myrcella being poisoned in Dorne without noting the hand of the king that sent her there.

How do they mention the death of the king at his own wedding without noting who was charged with the murder? How do they mention the Dornish prince being killed during a trial by combat without mentioning what the trial was even about?

How do you talk about Sansa Stark being married off without mentioning that she was first married to the Lannisters?

How do they mention the invading Danerys Targaryen without once noting who her hand was?

Tyrion is one of the most popular people in all of Westeros, even before he did anything notable. Arya was dying to see "the imp" in the first episode. Cat knew of his reputation before she had even met him. Oberyn described in season 4 that everyone was interested to see him when he was just a baby because he is perceived as this monstrosity. He is basically a Westerosi celebrity, infamous and hated.

But most important, he is directly tied to the story of the war.

Nothing about this "you aren't mentioned in a 5000 page book about this ten year period of war" makes a lick of sense. It was only put in there for a joke. There is nothing about it that rings true or acts as a parallel to history.

+1 to this. And you could even consider this a brief summary of Tyrion's involvement in significant events.

That scene just cemented how almost all of the writing beyond Season 5 has been done with very little consideration for anything beyond having a bit of on-screen spectacle or joke to laugh at.

Except it's quite hard to laugh at the joke if you have any memory of the previous 72 episodes and your brain's immediate first reaction is to go "what the fuck?" at the incredulity of the bit. You need it to be at least plausible to be funny.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
His heroic deeds or intentions being written out, sure. Him not being mentioned in the history books at all, even as the villain of the story, makes no sense.

I agree it would make more sense for him to be written into history as a straight villain (Richard III is pretty clearly an inspiration for Tyrion), but given he's randomly been elevated to Hand, it would also kind of make sense for the Archmaester to very quickly remove the villainous Tyrion storyline and just leave it all out. Like, there's half a page now that just says "Then Tywin died" with elaborate illustrations now covering up what used to be a whole bunch of florid prose about the evil Imp cackling as he watched his father die. Weird lapses in old histories where the author clearly just doesn't want to discuss some point are pretty common, like histories that only mention glorious victories in a war they lost, and since writing is rare and expensive back then, no competing version shows up to fill in the gaps and within a few years the knowledge to even know it's incomplete is gone.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last episode was amazingly bad. Not only was it terrible plot-wise but it was also just plain boring.

Episode 5, while terrible plot-wise, at least wasn't boring to watch.

Tyrion, Dany and Jaime were the major characters that the show ended up betraying the worst.

Tyrion ended up being the dumbest Lannister ever and just a completely different person - but not in a good way.

Dany went mad and bad in 120 minutes.

Jaime was 8 seasons of character development that ended up being nothing and meaning nothing.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
But it falls completely flat. Tyrion basically started everything. He's been hand to three different kings. It makes no sense, and it does nothing to either relieve anything, or tells us anything about anything. It's extremely stupid.

What can I say? The Small Council convening is the only scene I've seen from Season 8 and I love it. It remains to be seen whether I'll ever buy that boxed set and watch it all through from where I last ended after Season 4, but I have no complaints about the writing there. Subversion of audience expectations, Pratchett couldn't have written it better.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy enough
How do you even describe the start of the war without mentioning that Cat abducted the queens brother to charge him with murder which in turn caused the kingslayer to attack the hand of the king, murder his men, and cripple him for life?
Carolyn Stark falsely imprisoned a Lannister nobleman, leading to the start of the war of the five kingdoms.
How do they mention the death of Tywin Lannister without mentioning that he was killed by his son, the imp?
Tywin Lannister died at the hand of a whore.
How do they talk about princess Myrcella being poisoned in Dorne without noting the hand of the king that sent her there.
While visiting with the Dornish, the princess was murdered by the royal family.
How do they mention the death of the king at his own wedding without noting who was charged with the murder? How do they mention the Dornish prince being killed during a trial by combat without mentioning what the trial was even about?
King Joffrey the Cruel died at the hand of an unknown assassin
How do you talk about Sansa Stark being married off without mentioning that she was first married to the Lannisters?
Easy. Just refer to Ramsay as her second husband. Don't mention the first.
How do they mention the invading Danerys Targaryen without once noting who her hand was?
Daenreys and her loyal advisors invaded Westeros. It's suspected that the former slave Missandei served as her hand.

Tyrion is one of the most popular people in all of Westeros, even before he did anything notable. Arya was dying to see "the imp" in the first episode. Cat knew of his reputation before she had even met him. Oberyn described in season 4 that everyone was interested to see him when he was just a baby because he is perceived as this monstrosity. He is basically a Westerosi celebrity, infamous and hated.

But most important, he is directly tied to the story of the war.
True. But he can be reduced to an accident of birth by cruel historians. His other achievements can be attributed to others.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
What can I say? The Small Council convening is the only scene I've seen from Season 8 and I love it. It remains to be seen whether I'll ever buy that boxed set and watch it all through from where I last ended after Season 4, but I have no complaints about the writing there. Subversion of audience expectations, Pratchett couldn't have written it better.

But the scene doesn't exist in a vacuum. The scene is tone deaf. The entire scene. It's incongruent, and the Tyrion-not-being-mentioned gag just felt like a slap in the character's face. If that's the only scene you've seen, then I get it can be seen differently, but you're sitting there, realizing you're at the end of this epic journey. This isn't Friends, where a well timed last joke is really fitting. This is the end of the game of thrones, and that scene doesn't work for so many reasons.

What is this subversion of audience expectations? What is done well here?

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
When the remaining Starks stood on that pier and said their goodbyes, it hit home how rushed this season felt. All of those interactions should've been memorable moments that hit hard, but they did nothing for me. Even Jon saying goodbye to Arya, which should be an easy homerun, felt kinda hollow to me. There's so much development missing that these pivotal scenes come out of nowhere and do nothing. This truly is 'scene missing: the season'
They should have been separate scenes, like whenever Jon leaves for the wall in S1. But, you know, rushed

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
People have been doing this a lot. See also justifying Bran being King because him and Jon were in the shot when the ruler of the 7 kingdom's full title was said in the first episode of the series. Like GRRM specifically asked for it to be shot that way.

They knew from before season 1.

game-hrones-game-of-thrones-iron-throne-preview-hbo-reminder-40962562.png

The original intro for Game of Thrones even had a raven land in the throne in the end

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy enough

Carolyn Stark falsely imprisoned a Lannister nobleman, leading to the start of the war of the five kingdoms.

Tywin Lannister died at the hand of a whore.

While visiting with the Dornish, the princess was murdered by the royal family.

King Joffrey the Cruel died at the hand of an unknown assassin

Easy. Just refer to Ramsay as her second husband. Don't mention the first.

Daenreys and her loyal advisors invaded Westeros. It's suspected that the former slave Missandei served as her hand.

True. But he can be reduced to an accident of birth by cruel historians. His other achievements can be attributed to others.
This is plain stupid. The people involved with the history are still alive and in power. And there is zero motivation for the maesters to distort their history of the past 5 years to this extent. "Let's remove Tyrion for kicks and giggles" without any political goal that would make it necessary.

They wrote it for a joke. Stop defending it as anything deeper than that.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cant say a single thing about the person who ended up on the throne in terms of what his motivations are, what his character predispositions are, who he is, what he does. Like they literally put a character who was so unimportant to the story that he missed an entire season, on the throne. And I can't say anything about this character without having to make a ton of assumptions for the writers to reach that conclusion. I struggle to think of a worse written character on the show.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is plain stupid. The people involved with the history are still alive and in power. And there is zero motivation for the maesters to distort their history of the past 5 years to this extent. "Let's remove Tyrion for kicks and giggles" without any political goal that would make it necessary.

They wrote it for a joke. Stop defending it as anything deeper than that.
Same thing as how Jon Snow escapes history. It was covered up. Just like most of human history, not everyone gets their due

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's impossible for Tyrion to not be in the book, he killed Tywin. The only explanation is the TER is the Citadel's big cheese and he told them to keep his name out, so as to not sully the name of his hand.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Season 5 is good, but not that good.

I think the only legitimately good episode of season 8 is "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms." It's also an episode made retroactively worse by episode 4.
100% just means all the critics recommend it. Not that it's a perfect score. I'd certainly recommend the season, can't say the same about Season 8 of GOT.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've only watched up to the end of Season 4 but already she's basically a fire-breathing vigilante at that point. Maybe because she wasn't fricasseeing people in Westeros nobody noticed what she was like to live with.
Or maybe killing slavers and rapists isn't the same as civilians.

Since you're in season 4 did you notice all of her attempts to make sure 0 civilians are harmed to the point where she chains up her dragons after they harmed 1 innocent.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing as how Jon Snow escapes history. It was covered up. Just like most of human history, not everyone gets their due

What? Please. The writing is bad. It makes no sense. That we can sit and make up contrived reasons for why this was put in that scene doesn't make up for the fact that the scene is bad, and that 'joke' is terrible.

I've only watched up to the end of Season 4 but already she's basically a fire-breathing vigilante at that point. Maybe because she wasn't fricasseeing people in Westeros nobody noticed what she was like to live with.

She's a queen. The first episode of this show starts off saying that it's a ruler's responsibility to punish those that need to be punished. Ned takes no pleasure in the beheading he does, but he tells Bran that this is part of what being a ruler is. It is further cemented by Jon's reluctance to do the same, then his realization that it is a necessary evil.

Daenarys is queen, and she can sentence people to death. She does so by her own rule, and she views it as a necessary evil. She is challenged for it, but she makes good cases for why she's done it. This is not the same as being as crazy as she suddenly turns out in this season.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. What the fuck were they smoking, when:
- They said that the Dothraki basically all died in Episode 3
- Arya rode away on that white horse, only to be without it again in the next episode?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or maybe killing slavers and rapists isn't the same as civilians.

Since you're in season 4 did you notice all of her attempts to make sure 0 civilians are harmed to the point where she chains up her dragons after they harmed 1 innocent.

She changes after she returns from the Dothraki grass sea precisely because she is sick of seeing people use her mercy against her. Even in the books, once the Dothrakis come to her, she is thinking about it all and concludes with "Fire and blood!"

I suggest watching the succession scene from s7 with Tyrion at Dragonstone. She is literally saying she must rule with fear and commit mass murder as others have to win her war.

The show didn't make it obvious enough how much she changed upon returning to Mereen. But that isn't the real problem; the real problem is we have no reason to believe people would believe Jon is the true heir, nor care, nor support Cersei over Dany especially since she manages to take the city without killing civilians. THAT was the real mistake the writers made that ruined up her character.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. What the fuck were they smoking, when:
- They said that the Dothraki basically all died in Episode 3
- Arya rode away on that white horse, only to be without it again in the next episode?

Because of Arya's arc, I have retroactively come to abhor the end of The Many Faced God arc. It was so interesting. Then she just decided to stop, but retain all the powers. Bleh.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Isaac has refuted that theory. Bran is the Three Eyes Raven. It's the same continuing conscious, it's just that Bran has tons of memories that aren't his. When he says that he's not Bran anymore he means that Bran's memories are only a smart part of who he is now.

Bran: "I remember what it was like to Brandon Stark but I remember so much else now."

This was my thinking also.

Jaime was 8 seasons of character development that ended up being nothing and meaning nothing.

Yup.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
But the scene doesn't exist in a vacuum. The scene is tone deaf. The entire scene. It's incongruent, and the Tyrion-not-being-mentioned gag just felt like a slap in the character's face. If that's the only scene you've seen, then I get it can be seen differently, but you're sitting there, realizing you're at the end of this epic journey. This isn't Friends, where a well timed last joke is really fitting. This is the end of the game of thrones, and that scene doesn't work for so many reasons.

What is this subversion of audience expectations? What is done well here?

I'm kinda assuming that the whole thing is a series of massive bloodbaths and ice zombies and barbecues, with the survivors left slowly rebuilding a society from the ruins. Maybe seasons 5-8 are nothing like that, maybe it was all a hero's quest that everybody expected to end with ewoks dancing around and R2D2 putting on disco light shows for the kids, in which case that scene might fall flat.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
She changes after she returns from the Dothraki grass sea precisely because she is sick of seeing people use her mercy against her. Even in the books, once the Dothrakis come to her, she is thinking about it all and concludes with "Fire and blood!"

I suggest watching the succession scene from s7 with Tyrion at Dragonstone. She is literally saying she must rule with fear and commit mass murder as others have to win her war.

The show didn't make it obvious enough how much she changed upon returning to Mereen.
That still doesn't make any sense why she targeted the civilians and structures instead of the actual red keep.

Batman is a vigilante too but I wasn't surprised to see him not want to nuke the city in TDKR or poison it in Batman Begins.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm kinda assuming that the whole thing is a series of massive bloodbaths and ice zombies and barbecues, with the survivors left slowly rebuilding a society from the ruins. Maybe seasons 5-8 are nothing like that, maybe it was all a hero's quest that everybody expected to end with ewoks dancing around and R2D2 putting on disco light shows for the kids, in which case that scene might fall flat.
I'll try my best to not be an ass but maybe actually watch seasons 5-8 before trying to analyze them and refute other people's points.