• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-called-the-7-kingdoms-when-there-are-9-of-them
7 kingdoms, but technically 9 regions, including the crown lands, post-conquest. I guess we had:
Starks- North
Edmure - Riverlands
Robin - vale
Yara - Iron islands
Gendry - Stormlands
Sam - Reach
Tyrion - Westerlands
New prince - Dorne
The answers were -
Dorne, Stormlands, Iron Islands, Vale, Reach, and Westerlands. The north wasn't included because they seceded.

I'm mad because Bronn was not present there, so how could he be representing the Reach? I've also never heard the Riverlands referred to as the Westerlands on the show.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
to me, the show lost a chunk of it's magic when they killed off Stannis

latest

for the piece of shit he was, he was the wild card that kept the show extremely entertaining to me, it helps he was written spectacularly

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The answers were -
Dorne, Stormlands, Iron Islands, Vale, Reach, and Westerlands. The north wasn't included because they seceded.

I'm mad because Bronn was not present there, so how could he be representing the Reach? I've also never heard the Riverlands referred to as the Westerlands on the show.
The Riverlands aren't the Westerlands. In the book or the show.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Why is Bronn even on the council? He got the nicest castle in Westeros and instead of living there he's gonna stay in a city that just got burnt to the ground while trying to fix the crown's crippling debt.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Of all the issues, the Jon Snow reveal leading to absolutely nothing bothers me the most.

Season 5 ends with his death.
Season 6 he is revived and ends with the big reveal that he is the rightful King.
Season 7 ends with Sam and Bran learning and agreeing that he is the rightful King.
Season 8 Sam tells him, urging him to take the throne. All the theories and prophecies, most of which confirmed true by revealing his parents, point to him being brought back from the dead to destroy the darkness. Nope. Arya kills the Night King. Ok so maybe now the tension between him and Dany will be over his rights to the throne. Nope, she goes mad and he kills her cause she's crazy.

In the end, him being Lyanna and Rhaega's son didn't matter at all. Jon was the character I fell in love with narratively. Always kicked down, raised as a bastard, banished to the Night's Watch, no one ever believed him or in him, Cat Stark didn't even raise him with love, and now when finally his big moment comes....nothing. He isn't even involved in the two big battles of the season. Those episodes he just stood around.

None of the lore hinted at for seasons comes out. Yeah he is a central character and technically he gets a happy ending, after killing his love, but I expected so much more from his arc.

I was expecting at least a monologue from him to the lords or ppl of KL. Maybe a callback to Ned.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
The more and more I think about it, it just would have made more sense for them to divide the two threats, Cersei and Night King, over the last two seasons. 7 episodes for the buildup and end to the Cersei storyline and the last 6 episodes to wrap up the Night King and the final decision on who ends up on the throne.

Or switch the order. By combining both threats and Dany turning all into 6 episodes, it forced way too much story into a small number of episodes. Nothing felt as emotional and powerful as it should have. Cersei dying should have been a big deal. Euron too. Jaime, the Night King, and finally Dany.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't change any character at all. Was just like this minor errand they had to deal with on a random Tuesday.
I don't think Bran would have become King if he didn't foresee the plan to give Arya the dagger and make himself bait to kill the night king. I don't think the endgame would have taken place without the white walkers invading.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Bronn even on the council? He got the nicest castle in Westeros and instead of living there he's gonna stay in a city that just got burnt to the ground while trying to fix the crown's crippling debt.
Same reason Olenna got her daughter to be Queen and Mace was previously Master of Coin- The Reach is responsible for much of the country's food supplies and may be the wealthiest of the Kingdoms in the wake of the issues Casterly Rock is having.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
He was probably mandated by HBO to appear as much as possible because viewers like him.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Same reason Olenna got her daughter to be Queen and Mace was previously Master of Coin- The Reach is responsible for much of the country's food supplies and may be the wealthiest of the Kingdoms in the wake of the issues Casterly Rock is having.

Why would Bronn care about any of that? He doesn't even understand how loans work.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Grey Worm following orders because they're orders and killing the Lannisters even if they surrendered: first Grey Worm says the order is to kill all of those who follow Cersei. Well she is dead, and they surrendered. Second, Grey Worm used to be in the same position the prisoners are, following orders because he had to. Should have been properly confronted.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

The logic that the Lords of the Reach would just accept a complete unlanded stranger ruling them is freaking stupid.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Grey Worm following orders because they're orders and killing the Lannisters even if they surrendered: first Grey Worm says the order is to kill all of those who follow Cersei. Well she is dead, and they surrendered. Second, Grey Worm used to be in the same position the prisoners are, following orders because he had to. Should have been properly confronted.
I think it's pretty clear that he was in bloodlust mode ever since Missandei, and it was evidenced when he chucked his spear last episode (being egged on by Dany's actions). So I think there's some personal liberties being taken here in terms of the Lannister executions.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Bronn care about any of that? He doesn't even understand how loans work.
He doesn't, but Bronn loves titles and prestige. He's the guy who keeps going for promotions just because he loves promotions and the good life that comes with that status. The power doesn't interest him, the executive class reclining airline seats do.

I expect he'll probably farm it out to someone who can actually do the job in the future, who will proceed to embezzle from him.

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the issues, the Jon Snow reveal leading to absolutely nothing bothers me the most.

Season 5 ends with his death.
Season 6 he is revived and ends with the big reveal that he is the rightful King.
Season 7 ends with Sam and Bran learning and agreeing that he is the rightful King.
Season 8 Sam tells him, urging him to take the throne. All the theories and prophecies, most of which confirmed true by revealing his parents, point to him being brought back from the dead to destroy the darkness. Nope. Arya kills the Night King. Ok so maybe now the tension between him and Dany will be over his rights to the throne. Nope, she goes mad and he kills her cause she's crazy.

In the end, him being Lyanna and Rhaega's son didn't matter at all. Jon was the character I fell in love with narratively. Always kicked down, raised as a bastard, banished to the Night's Watch, no one ever believed him or in him, Cat Stark didn't even raise him with love, and now when finally his big moment comes....nothing. He isn't even involved in the two big battles of the season. Those episodes he just stood around.

None of the lore hinted at for seasons comes out. Yeah he is a central character and technically he gets a happy ending, after killing his love, but I expected so much more from his arc.

I was expecting at least a monologue from him to the lords or ppl of KL. Maybe a callback to Ned.
Also, a small issue but I hate how insignificant him riding Rhaegal ended up feeling. In the season 7 I thought it was quite cool how Drogon approached him, hinting at some bond due to his Targaryen lineage. I envisioned the moment where he rides a dragon before people know, and they're like "wtf only the blood of the dragon could do that". Instead Dany's just like "hop on" like it's one of her pet horses. They have their Aladdin magic carpet ride and she didn't seem phased at all that this Northern bastard can ride a dragon.

Episode 3 wouldn't have played out much differently if Rhaegal was riderless and Jon was on the ground. Episode 4 Rhaegal dies and Jon doesn't care. He had no bond to him. No more dragon riding for Jon but it didn't really matter aside from Tormund hyping his friend up to push Dany into crazy territory. If this season didn't move at such a ridiculous pace we could have had another Dance of the Dragons between Jon and Dany.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Something that's bothered me is how Bran being King is kind of a good move because he is at least powerful but the people in charge of all the kingdoms are seriously unequipped for being in charge of anything:

Robyn - a spoilt kid who was breastfed for too long and knows next to nothing about ruling.
Edmure - has been treated like a joke since the very beginning and has no respect from anyone.
Yara - laughs about democracy but took part in a Kingsmoot. She might at least be decent in command though.
Gendry - a bastard blacksmith with no history of ruling anything at all whatsoever.
Sansa - the queen in the north herself, who through her constant strife with her allies managed to gain independence for the region. The same region which probably benefits the least from being independent.
Tyrion - is he even lord since he is also hand of the king? Is the west just ungoverned now
Dorne guy - unknown.

And then the small council has plenty of problems too

Oct 27, 2017
Gendry should have been King. I will maintain that to my death. He's the only rightful heir. The Targs were supplanted but ultimately failed to regain the throne. The crown should have revered back to the Baratheons.

LONG LIVE KING BULL

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bronn won't rule the Reach in the books at least.

And if any of Roberts bastards rule Storms End it will be Edric Storm.
Someone with Noble blood on both sides and raised as a lord.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something that's bothered me is how Bran being King is kind of a good move because he is at least powerful but the people in charge of all the kingdoms are seriously unequipped for being in charge of anything:

Robyn - a spoilt kid who was breastfed for too long and knows next to nothing about ruling.
Edmure - has been treated like a joke since the very beginning and has no respect from anyone.
Yara - laughs about democracy but took part in a Kingsmoot. She might at least be decent in command though.
Gendry - a bastard blacksmith with no history of ruling anything at all whatsoever.
Sansa - the queen in the north herself, who through her constant strife with her allies managed to gain independence for the region. The same region which probably benefits the least from being independent.
Tyrion - is he even lord since he is also hand of the king? Is the west just ungoverned now
Dorne guy - unknown.

And then the small council has plenty of problems too
Having weak/ineffectual people under you is a good thing if you want to consolidate authoritarian power. Gutting external agencies and consolidating power within the executive offices Is what you see them do in the real world. If Book Bran ends up truly being Galaxy Brain Littlefinger, it makes total sense. (And allowing the North to be independent would also play into that, as Sansa would be by far the most strong-willed opposition figure.)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bronn won't rule the Reach in the books at least.

And if any of Roberts bastards rule Storms End it will be Edric Storm.
Someone with Noble blood on both sides and raised as a lord.

Why would Gendry stay legitimized (in the show) anyway. Dany was queen of nothing. Never even crowned.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also, a small issue but I hate how insignificant him riding Rhaegal ended up feeling. In the season 7 I thought it was quite cool how Drogon approached him, hinting at some bond due to his Targaryen lineage. I envisioned the moment where he rides a dragon before people know, and they're like "wtf only the blood of the dragon could do that". Instead Dany's just like "hop on" like it's one of her pet horses. They have their Aladdin magic carpet ride and she didn't seem phased at all that this Northern bastard can ride a dragon.

Episode 3 wouldn't have played out much differently if Rhaegal was riderless and Jon was on the ground. Episode 4 Rhaegal dies and Jon doesn't care. He had no bond to him. No more dragon riding for Jon but it didn't really matter aside from Tormund hyping his friend up to push Dany into crazy territory. If this season didn't move at such a ridiculous pace we could have had another Dance of the Dragons between Jon and Dany.

Used to emphasize that Jon is a thread to Dany I guess. So people would have something to say about him at the party after.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Is it safe to say that if Bran wasn't climbing and being a peeping Tom and Jaime couldn't keep it in his pants in episode 1, that none of this would happen.

Sorry. Having a little fun.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. You can see the setup for it w/ the Tarlys and Tyrells being taken out, but it's another "didn't do enough setup" thing from S7/8.

Even then with the Tarlys, Sam's sister is still around lol. She would supersede Ser "shit falls in my lap" Bronn and should easily be able to rally the Reach behind her. I hate how suddenly all the intricate realm rules don't apply.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel Drogon not burning Jon would have worked better if Drogon was wounded, panting, and had trouble even igniting his fire. Show that Dany pushed him to his limits.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cersei robbed the Reach to pay for the crown's debts (and the GC), though.

Oct 25, 2017
So what would happen to the Lord already governing at Storms End? Bran just kicks him out of the castle?
GregariousHarmoniousLaughingthrush-size_restricted.gif

Seriously though, House Swann was probably governing the Stormlands in place of the Baratheons.
I'm sure a legitimised Baratheon would be welcomed back to their ancestral home..the lad was at the great council when they announced Bran as king.
So in the show universe he's pretty much Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storm's End.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jaime was 8 seasons of character development that ended up being nothing and meaning nothing.

That they tried to put a neat bow on it with Brienne, a woman he cruelly left after essentially giving her pity sex, writing nice things about him was indeed a choice.

I think the only legitimately good episode of season 8 is "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms." It's also an episode made retroactively worse by episode 4.

Correct.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This guy was dead on about Bran, not as much the sisters.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this scene again. It feels like a completely different show. There was just nothing close to scenes like this in this last season.