• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
There was an HBO leak where executives talked about it. They talked to GRRM about killing Bran instead of Daenerys and GRRM insisted that Bran live and Dany die.

Potentially fake, potentially real.

HYAWlKE_d.jpg

We really need to stop taking every random Reddit or 4chan "leak" so seriously. George hasn't had any serious involvement in the show since S4. And even then he wasn't making the creative decisions.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine everyone showing up with their armies, and you're Dorne seeing the pitiful gathering of forces arrayed in front of you doing some quick math in your head like...

giphy.gif

"The Reach has no army, the North and the Vale barely have one, the Riverlands are a joke, and the Unsullied + Dothraki + Yara can be convinced to join us. We can totally roll on all of them right now if we wanted to!"

When was time out called on the Game of Thrones, and why would Dorne of all people not be thinking about getting one over on the people (North, Vale, Riverlands, and Lannister) whose rebellion caused the death of their beloved Princess? These are people that were perfectly fine with their Prince being murdered because he wasn't going fast enough for their revenge plot. Yeah, these guys would totally not take advantage of a gift horse this freaking good. All their armies and leaders in one place too? Damn.
Dorne would be in the best position but they likely just finished a civil war and all the other kingdom's are spent and exhausted from years of war.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
My comment is a general criticism of the use of the term "unearned" in internet discussions of fiction. I'll simply observe that it's not a term I've encountered in literary criticism. From various responses here it seems to be essentially "it doesn't mesh with my complex fan theory of certain key characters' motivations and inner resources."

That's okay. Just bear in mind that the writer may have their own theory which will almost certainly clash with many fan theories. It seems ironic to me that some commentators here are even accusing the writers of raiding internet discussion forums for ideas. Even if they had done that, it couldn't have possibly made everybody happy.

And alas I keep having to come back to the exceptionally high viewing figures. If this season was really so awful, why has it proven so wildly popular? Why have the Nielsen numbers for this show had a monotonic season-on-season climb, if it's so poorly written? You can try to shrug this off, but clearly HBO is doing something right.

So using vague terms like "unearned" is not going to cut it. You have to try harder than that.

So you've never heard a critic complain about unearned payoffs, or a lack of causality in character/story developments?

It's not a vague concept at all.

Your dismissing very clear, objective, issues with causality in this series... And you haven't even seen half of it.

Most of the criticism I've seen hasnt been with the plot itself, but with the absence of the character development to make the plot seem reasonable. That and they ignored character developments that had been built up over the course of the last 8 season.

Many people who do have problems with the plot, likely wouldn't, if the build up was written such that the plot seemed plausible. Most people learned early on that this series has no problem giving beloved characters unfortunate outcomes... But people love it anyway because it always happens as a result of characters behaving as they've been established.

If a developer has a "theory" about a characters motivations and inner resources, then they should SHOW it, so that fans can perceive the character that way. They shouldn't show a characters motivations to be one way for 7.66 seasons, then change it at the last minute.

Finally, this was the culmination of an amazing series, with fantastic actors, and top notch cinematography. Even with the bad writing there's a lot of good to see. So yeah HBO is doing somethings right. People were heavily invested in it and wanted to see the end. The high viewership shouldn't be surprising. I didnt like the season at all, but I watched every minute of it as soon as it aired. Viewership isn't a measure of quality writing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Majority of the popular fan endings are in my opinion considerably better. For the ending, I'd have liked if D&D wasn't obessively trying to "outsmart" the audience, and simply concluded the storylines they've been nurturing for 8 years appropiately. I've said it before multiple times, but as "predictable" and "safe" Jon killing the Night King would have been, it would have still been considerably better, even if nothing else about the episode changed. Why? Because you can now go back, rewatch the series, and enjoy a well rounded character arc. His resurrection, the prophecies, his goal to unite people to fight a bigger threat than eachother, everything comes to a satisfying conclusion. And then, maybe the Night King getting offed with a single stab wouldn't have been so criticized. People WANTED the Night King to live because Arya jumping out of nowhere was simply underwhelming and unearned. Nothing really comes after it. It's practically forgotten 20 mins into the next episode. With Jon? See, now THAT would have been cause for celebration, and Dany getting jealous would've been even more justified.

As for Dany's turn, I think it was the right thing to do, BUT, it needed to happen way earlier. If you only have 2 episodes to go then making one of your main characters do a full 180 turn with paper thin reasoning "seeing the Red Keep set her off" is just.... what. Because, what have we got out of it? A single Hitler-esque speech, and a weird, out of character dialouge with Jon. And that's it. Was there any emotional payoff? Not really, the time skip made sure of that.

And Bran as king? If GRRM told them he'd be king, then I'm sorry, where was the bloody build up? Or did GRRM phone Dan and Dave like 30 mins before they had to submit the script? Because it's utter bullshit. I honestly think that they "hid" Bran on purpose to have a "GOTCHA!" moment in the finale. We stopped seeing Bran's flashbacks, visions after S6, and we've only gotten vague unrelated bullshit since. Sansa being beautiful on the night she was raped, the origins of his wheelchair etc etc. Oh, yeah, wow, great, 8 seasons of people backstabbing and scheming to take the iron throne, but the one to take is the guy that pretended not to care until the very last moment where he smirks and goes "WhY Do YoU tHiNK i CaME AlL tHiS wAY"
That's the problem with Dave and Dan. They just jumped from this guy not 'wanting' anything to becoming King, with no indication.
I can say that for a lot of the characters this season. They skipped a good amount of character development and motivations so we can be shocked the moment Dany torched KL, or Bran becomes King. It should feel earned but it doesn't really, I should be able to rewatch the show and find the hints that would build up to these moments. Like the moments before the Red Wedding.
About Bran, there are some references in the books, though they're subtle. And a few have made theories on Bran becoming King.
Now that we know Bran becomes King I wonder how GRRM will set it up.
I still need to be sold on the idea, but I'm not averse to it. The crippled boy reaching the top but on his way he lost his humanity sounds like something that could be done well under a great writer.

We'll see I guess. All I know is that most of these character turns will feel earned in the books. At least, I hope so.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that D&D's original pilot episode for GoT was so bad that HBO was forced to reshoot the entire thing.

In the literary world this is what we call "foreshadowing."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
589ukp9100031.jpg

Rickon is more popular than Bran lol.

Rickon's even more popular than Catelyn. The hell?

Catelyn and Sansa have large hatedoms though.

Bran's always been the Stark that people are apathetic to because to they don't really get his role in the story and he's not a badass. It's why a lot of endgame theories for him amounted to Bran fucks off back into a cave to become tree because I have no clue what the point of him living past the end m is.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It really wasn't. It was what the whole series was leading to and it was over way too soon.

it's pretty easy to understand, and it's absolutely appropriate to the last two seasons of GOT. You're really speaking from a place of ignorance.
In grand total the white walkers occupied less than 5% of screen time.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
My comment is a general criticism of the use of the term "unearned" in internet discussions of fiction. I'll simply observe that it's not a term I've encountered in literary criticism. From various responses here it seems to be essentially "it doesn't mesh with my complex fan theory of certain key characters' motivations and inner resources."

That's okay. Just bear in mind that the writer may have their own theory which will almost certainly clash with many fan theories. It seems ironic to me that some commentators here are even accusing the writers of raiding internet discussion forums for ideas. Even if they had done that, it couldn't have possibly made everybody happy.

And alas I keep having to come back to the exceptionally high viewing figures. If this season was really so awful, why has it proven so wildly popular? Why have the Nielsen numbers for this show had a monotonic season-on-season climb, if it's so poorly written? You can try to shrug this off, but clearly HBO is doing something right.

So using vague terms like "unearned" is not going to cut it. You have to try harder than that.

You keep posting combative and condescending responses to people that actually watch the show and ended up disappointed. Why?

You haven't even finished it yet. I really do not understand what is compelling you to argue so ardently, when you haven't even finished your own personal consumption of the underlying media.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You keep posting combative and condescending responses to people that actually watch the show and ended up disappointed. Why?

You haven't even finished it yet. I really do not understand what is compelling you to argue so ardently, when you haven't even finished your own personal consumption of the underlying media.
It really is quite something.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

I suppose not actually seeing the final season is one way I could understand someone defending it, lol.

But no, not really. That's really bizarre to see someone arguing so adamantly about things they haven't seen yet themselves.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The WW/NK storyline is the biggest blunder of the whole show. What a big fucking waste.

The Nk should have destroyed Winterfell, not having the long night lasting only 1 night.

The fact that the NKs only purpose was ImaKillYouAllImaSoSpooky is tragically sad and terrible. Fuck Dorne, fuck the Bran crowned King. The NK dying is the dumbest thing in the whole show.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The WW/NK storyline is the biggest blunder of the whole show. What a big fucking waste.

The Nk should have destroyed Winterfell, not having the long night lasting only 1 night.

The fact that the NKs only purpose was ImaKillYouAllImaSoSpooky. Fuck Dorne, fuck the Bran crowned King. The NK dying is the dumbest thing in the whole show.
It was so disappointing because they did their best to keep ramping up the anticipation of the showdown with those memorable end of season WW shots, obviously culminating in the wall getting destroyed at the end of s7. I would've been fine with the WW not being the final big bad, but the way they were disposed of was rushed to say the least. The reception to this season only started to take a real nosedive with ep4, but ep3 already sealed the deal for me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It was so disappointing because they did their best to keep ramping up the anticipation of the showdown with those memorable end of season WW shots, obviously culminating in the wall getting destroyed at the end of s7. I would've been fine with the WW not being the final big bad, but the way they were disposed of was rushed to say the least. The reception to this season only started to take a real nosedive with ep4, but ep3 already sealed the deal for me.
I remember a lot of people going "oh, dont worry that surely wasnt it, just wait til we see what Bran was doing during the battle in one of the remaining episodes!"

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017

yeah

ep 1 was ok
ep 2 was lovely
ep 3 killed my hopes for the rest. I just read spoilers after it. kinda just threw my hands up in a fit of disappointment.

it's more frustrating to me because the show literally created a leader for them and showed us hardhome live, which may or may not be POV in the books. that's more buildup that purely exists only in the show, if anything. sigh. even people I know irl that are completely satisfied with the show still agree that the WW plotline ending that way was too anticlimactic.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fact that the NKs only purpose was ImaKillYouAllImaSoSpooky is tragically sad and terrible. Fuck Dorne, fuck the Bran crowned King. The NK dying is the dumbest thing in the whole show.

The NK winning would have made a better ending.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Watch this if you (and others haven't already) and get depressed.

There was so many things they could have explored with the NK, WW, prophecies etc. but all went down the train.

The NK winning would have made a better ending.

I honestly expected Jon would make a pact between the WW/NK and the others. How amazing wouldn't that have been?

And before anyone goes "Well they don't communicate, they are just a mindless killing machine" well how did Craster manage to get that deal/pact with the NK?

NK just dying is just so bad. Maybe at least get Dany to sacrifice her, Jon killing her in order to create the flaming sword and defeat the NK if the NK just had to die.

Big fan of this theory: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Season 7 end seemed like some really bad stuff was about to go down.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
I'd have liked if D&D wasn't obessively trying to "outsmart" the audience, and simply concluded the storylines they've been nurturing for 8 years appropiately. I've said it before multiple times, but as "predictable" and "safe" Jon killing the Night King would have been, it would have still been considerably better, even if nothing else about the episode changed. Why? Because you can now go back, rewatch the series, and enjoy a well rounded character arc.

Exactly my thoughts on where so many characters ended up. The main characters' arcs just went in circles rather than culminating in climaxes. I just don't see the Night's Watch, North of the wall, Braavos, and Dany Essos stories retaining much rewatchability for me in the future.

With the exception of Daenerys; who just flipped a switch and transformed to a villain with no more gray areas. They even tried to humanize Cersei at the 11th hour while demonizing Dany in the most ham-fisted way. I think her arc suffers most from execution rather than the idea behind the turn. Needed much more care and finesse in my opinion. Should have been tragic, instead it's just something that happens.

Jon; if he wasn't going to factor into the NK climax after 7 seasons of setup, or even utilize his lineage for the throne which was front and center since season 6, why keep the character around? Does his character or the story gain anything by him living passed season 5? If anything, his heritage being revealed after death would have been more fitting and tragic as an unfortunate, what could have been tale for the rightful king. Stannis could have taken Winterfell back and easily fulfilled the role Jon played.

Tyrion; he was clever and shrewd for 4 seasons but once joining Dany, he becomes inconsequential and can't accomplish anything of note. He's never shown to be bitter after everything Cersei put him through. He just sort of falls into hand of the 3ER and that's it. No grand play or scheming. I would think his arc would culminate in a calculated play on the level of a Tywin or dying in the attempt.

Cersei; I feel like her character died with the Sept. She was basically a caricature from there on out. Mustache twirling and wine drinking villain trying to keep her throne. She planned Robert's death, attempted to kill Tyrion multiple times and had a brilliant play with the Sept then never interacts with the cast in a significant way. She was ready to kill herself rather than surrender in s2, but becomes an emotional wreck at the end. After she slides past cleganebowl, it's like a fever dream. Would have liked one last moment for her to outsmart everyone who overlooks how far she's willing to go. She was the closest Lannister to Tywin to me.

Jaime; his entire arc was treading water. Breaking the wheel just to invent it all over again. Instead of getting his own climactic moment of redemption or failure, he gets lumped in with Cersei so their arcs can crash and burn together. In a constant battle between honor and loving Cersei, it seemed as though he might finally reach a boiling point after Bronn threatened him and Tyrion, but no, runs back to Cersei. No twist, no drama, no climax. Just a romantic disaster movie ending. Have him fail to reach Cersei, find Cersei too late, save her but die, kill her, just about anything but what we got I would have liked more.

Arya; Everyone's favorite little sociopath who started out as a curious kid that hated convention but got caught up in betrayals and murders of her family. Meeting Jaqen inspires her to become a faceless assassin as a means to avenge her family. Unfortunately, her arc effectively ends after murdering the Freys and Littlefinger. She falls into the role of savior in a war she didn't know about or even really acknowledge until she commissions a staff from Gendry. Her arc was all vengeance for her family and the plot just brushes it aside. She just takes Sandor's advice and runs through KL for her life and that's it. Unless you count I know a killer when I see one. Wiping out a family, avenging her father, slaying the NK all amount to accomplishments on her resume and she becomes kid Arya again off on an adventure. No payoff to her vengeance or faceless training, just anticlimax from Braavos to Winterfell.

Sansa; the maiden who wanted nothing but to be a queen for a handsome prince is dragged through hell but accomplishes her childhood dream after becoming an independent and shrewd player of the game. It sounds really good on paper, but what we got on screen ends up feeling unearned and a bit nonsensical. She talked about family and food rationing more than anything, but betrays her family out of hate for a woman that saved her family and the north. The north which would have ceased to exist without Dothraki, Unsullied and the Veil gets independence from the rest of the kingdoms and Sansa rules it because 3ER prefers KL to WF or something, I guess? Did she want to be queen? Did she fall into it? Did she choose ruling over family? How about showing us some of the cleverness and intelligence that gets her on that throne outside of just exposition from Arya. Her arc was so undercooked and lacked the Cersei/Littlefinger forward thinking that it needed to show she sacrificed others for what she wanted.

Side characters like Theon, Davos, Jorah, Brienne, and Drogon were done the most justice, to varying degrees. I like where they went and how they got there. Theon sacrificing himself for 3ER is kind of lame in hindsight though. Drogon not even getting a closing shot is head scratching. He and Dany deserved more in that finale.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to take anyone's criticism of the finale seriously when they start shitting on season 4 or saying it was overrated to begin with.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Ha! I've reached season 2, episode 5 in my GoT rewatch. In it, right after we see Theon make the decision to go after Winterfell, we cut to Arya preparing sausages for Tywin and its war council.

Coincidence? Maybe. But really funny nonetheless!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling you get when you're watching Cobra Kai and you realize its first two seasons are better than GoT seasons 7 and 8.

giphy.gif

It's that same feeling I got when I realized watching The Phantom Menace that The Matrix and even The Mummy were better films. Thanks for bringing that feeling back D&D, 20 years later.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
But I couldn't keep my promise.
And all this horror that has come to my family,
all because my son is a fucking sociopath.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many months have passed since Cersei found out she was pregnant?

We know it takes, what, 2 months to get to Winterfell from Kingslanding on horse with a regiment of soldiers? The majority of the show spent a ton of time on transit and establishing distance.

We can forgive the show for cutting from one location to another because we can assume they just skipped over the 2 months travel to Winterfell, etc.

BUT CERSEI SHOULD BE SHOWING. SHE SHOULD BE POPPING. SHE PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE ALREADY HAD THE BABY.

That means either she wasn't pregnant and is completely delusional or the show decided Westeros is the size of Maine now.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The book are apparently very lovecraftian, especially with Euron, and now I really want to read them ;_;

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The book are apparently very lovecraftian, especially with Euron, and now I really want to read them ;_;
I'm not seeing how lovecraftian themes would have anything to do with Euron but I didn't read the books.

I suppose the Wight Walkers, as an existential and unknowable threat, could be read as lovecraftian.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Gonna peep my own thread that I just started:

I'm not seeing how lovecraftian themes would have anything to do with Euron but I didn't read the books.

I suppose the Wight Walkers, as an existential and unknowable threat, could be read as lovecraftian.

He's evil Bran Stark but with Lovecraftian imagery embedded into his story. He's a combination of Nyarlathotep, Saruman and Randall Flagg.

The dreams were even worse the second time. He saw the longships of the Ironborn adrift and burning on a boiling blood-red sea. He saw his brother on the Iron Throne again, but Euron was no longer human. He seemed more squid than man, a monster fathered by a kraken of the deep, his face a mass of writhing tentacles. Beside him stood a shadow in woman's form, long and tall and terrible, her hands alive with pale white fire. Dwarves capered for their amusement, male and female, naked and misshapen, locked in carnal embrace, biting and tearing at each other as Euron and his mate laughed and laughed and laughed…"

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This scene.. that score.. damn man

What used to be

Hughhhh god damn this is so good. Its so easy to forget how good this show used to be after the past few seasons. Fuck man had they wrapped it up with this level of quality it'd be considered for goat status. Not sure they ever could have managed without Martins material to go off of anyway but man, what a missed opportunity.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
How many months have passed since Cersei found out she was pregnant?

We know it takes, what, 2 months to get to Winterfell from Kingslanding on horse with a regiment of soldiers? The majority of the show spent a ton of time on transit and establishing distance.

We can forgive the show for cutting from one location to another because we can assume they just skipped over the 2 months travel to Winterfell, etc.

BUT CERSEI SHOULD BE SHOWING. SHE SHOULD BE POPPING. SHE PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE ALREADY HAD THE BABY.

That means either she wasn't pregnant and is completely delusional or the show decided Westeros is the size of Maine now.
She was not pregnant.
She played Euron and Jaimie like a fiddle.

Source: me.