• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
rm6v5ea9ha031.jpg

Daenerys shitting or this?

tenor.gif

Why is it that it's now after 8 seasons that we're finding out just how bad of a writer they are? Like how did I only find out in 2019 that Benioff wrote Wolverine Origins? Were people trying to tell us this stuff and we just ignored them for all those years?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Why is it that it's now after 8 seasons that we're finding out just how bad of a writer they are? Like how did I only find out in 2019 that Benioff wrote Wolverine Origins? Were people trying to tell us this stuff and we just ignored them for all those years?

You can find crap in the credits of a lot of writers, most people period have worked crap jobs. Outside of pure nepotism, it's how people get a foothold in the industry and I'd bet projects like Wolverine Origins had lots of studio pressure or things otherwise out of the control of the writer.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Book readers were beating this drum for years, but they were told that their critiques about changes from the source material for the worse were of no concern

When Jaime killed his cousin in Season 2 I remember the shit storm that created in the book thread. Little did I know, that was only the beginning of the Jaime/Cersei gaffes

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And excerpts from Benioff's books were posted multiple times and we always laughed at how bad they were.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
How do book readers feel about Bran? I remember liking him quite a bit in the books. I can see why the ending wouldn't necessarily suck in the book as opposed to the tv show. Hard to say if the actor or script is most responsible for the character being so unlikable.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do book readers feel about Bran? I remember liking him quite a bit in the books. I can see why the ending wouldn't necessarily suck in the book as opposed to the tv show. Hard to say if the actor or script is most responsible for the character being so unlikable.
Showrunners told Isaac (the actor) to play Bran this way. So probably them.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Jon Snow's theme from Season 6 was used more. I loved how it was used throughout the season, from his resurrection to the Battle of the Bastards.

I always think about this one when reading his book chapters. It says a lot about him imo.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
tenor.gif

You only had to watch from season5 onwards to know they are bad writers.

Last edited:

NightKingistheWaif

alt account
Banned
May 14, 2019
Tyrion after Bran decides to make him hand: I thought I was wise but I wasn't. I thought I knew what was right but I didn't

This right after he pleads for Bran and argues he would be the smartest choice. I wonder what the Lords were thinking, or if they were thinking at all in the whole sequence.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Drogon was headed to Volantis. Dany and Drogon had never been to Volantis. Why would Drogon be flying to a specific place he's never been to? 🤔

Drogon = Series MVP.

Drogon even understands the climb to power was the problem according to the show:

"Then the dragon comes in and the piece starts to pick up. It becomes more powerful and powerful. It builds to what you think is going to happen next: the dragon killing Jon. But he melts the throne. Then the music shifts into a very powerful piece with the main title's melody in it. Clearly, the real intention is the dragon understands the reason why Daenerys is dead is the urge for power and the throne. I don't want to say the throne was "useless," but there are bad things that come out of the urge to get to powe"r.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Lord of Light is not quite finished with her. She still needs to assassinate the rest of the world

If Drogon is indeed able to comprehend what the Iron Throne is and what it cost Dany (as the post by The Gunslinger seems to indicate), then he won't be flying Dany back to Westeros at all. He's smart enough to understand symbolism, smart enough (or is it instinct?) to know what Volantis is and who exist there, and that tells me he won't let it all happen again.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I don't get why the symbol of the throne being destroyed is supposed to be powerful when they just get a new king anyway? it makes no sense, unless the writers are really dumb and think it was LITERALLY the iron throne that was the problem not what it symbolised.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If Drogon is indeed able to comprehend what the Iron Throne is and what it cost Dany (as the post by The Gunslinger seems to indicate), then he won't be flying Dany back to Westeros at all. He's smart enough to understand symbolism, smart enough (or is it instinct?) to know what Volantis is and who exist there, and that tells me he won't let it all happen again.
Can he save her from herself?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Can he save her from herself?

Yeah. Imagine if the US' nuclear arsenal could think for itself and told the politicians and generals "no"?

I don't get why the symbol of the throne being destroyed is supposed to be powerful when they just get a new king anyway? it makes no sense, unless the writers are really dumb and think it was LITERALLY the iron throne that was the problem not what it symbolised.

I absolutely hate the whole "ambition and wanting power is bad" garbage they've pulled with Dany. They've got people in the final episode pulling long gestating power and ambition moves and the only one framed as being bad is Dany's. GTFO (not you).

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still cannot believe Jon was exiled to the Wall instead of willingly choosing to go there. Writing 101: The Best Character Moments Are When the Character Chooses What To Do!

Imagine if
Voldemort had killed Harry instead of Harry choosing to be killed by Voldemort. It would have landed like a wet fart.
. That's what Jon being exiled felt like.

I adamantly believe that the inconsistency in quality across plotlines and seasons is a bigger barrier to recommending the show than the problems of the last few episodes.

"You should totally watch Game of Thrones! Just stop after the fourth season."

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Book readers were beating this drum for years, but they were told that their critiques about changes from the source material for the worse were of no concern

When Jaime killed his cousin in Season 2 I remember the shit storm that created in the book thread. Little did I know, that was only the beginning of the Jaime/Cersei gaffes
Yeah that was goofy. Sometimes I forget about the slip ups in the golden seasons.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like "You should stop watching scenes that aren't in or about King's Landing!"

Somebody will eventually do a fan edit that is just King's Landing and the immediately relevant scenes (like Tywin's Riverlands scenes). It will be a better show.

I did still love the S6 King's Landing scenes so you might have a point. What's wild is that for years people said the strongest material was King's Landing. It's as close to a fact as you can have with a subjective subject matter. And then the show decided -- IN THE FINAL SEASON -- to leave exactly 1 interesting character in King's Landing. If they were just going to surround Cercei with The Mountain and Qybyrn, they would have been better off killing her in S7. What a waste.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough, I just re-watched the episode where Jamie kills his cousin. "You'll have to die." Such mustache-twirling shit.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is she going to wake up and suddenly be a completely different person? What's her arc from there?

Goes back to a place that isn't a smelly, ugly dump, and isn't filled with hateful people? 🤷‍♂️

Does she really need an arc that's more important than taking care of the people who genuinely love her in Dragon's Bay (that's what it's been renamed to right)? She is a Queen in her own rights, and has a responsibility and duty to her people. And yes, waking up and knowing that Westeros isn't home would be a profound and enlightening moment. Home and all the people she cares about and care about her are in Dragon's Bay.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The book are apparently very lovecraftian, especially with Euron, and now I really want to read them ;_;

I've read them all and there isn't much lovecraftian stuff, not more than there is the Lord of light, The Seven, The Wyrwood Tree's, blood and black magic, I always expected there to be with the Greyjoy's and their whole motto but so far not so much.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Lots of GoT fans for the last few years

YvJB6ot.gif

They wanted to believe D&D were somehow going to magically stick the landing no matter how the story kept careening off into an abyss.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017

I'm ok with him being King but I need more character development for him. The problem is the how, not the what.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of GoT fans for the last few years

YvJB6ot.gif

They wanted to believe D&D were somehow going to magically stick the landing no matter how the story kept careening off into an abyss.

Also having the book readers separate from the show only watchers meant that we didn't know what was and wasn't book material (at least till the later seasons). Until season 6, I thought everything we were watching was sourced from the books.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Image is deleted. What was it?

Molly wore a powder blue catsuit that zipped up the back. Winter wasn't over yet, and this is what she wore.
She had what seemed to be a permanent wedgie. All the men within sight had noticed this condition. An old man chewing potato knish stared at her ass, glanced back at Tabachnik, and then resumed staring at her ass. The other men pretended not to stare at her ass, pretended to look up only at appropriate moments -- as when the conductor announced something unintelligible -- and then sneakily stared at her ass. When Tabachnik caught them, they would quickly look away, but Tabachnik wanted people to stare at her ass. He wanted the whole world horny for Molly Minx.
--David Benioff, When the Nines Roll Over

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Goes back to a place that isn't a smelly, ugly dump, and isn't filled with hateful people? 🤷‍♂️

Does she really need an arc that's more important than taking care of the people who genuinely love her in Dragon's Bay (that's what it's been renamed to right)? She is a Queen in her own rights, and has a responsibility and duty to her people. And yes, waking up and knowing that Westeros isn't home would be a profound and enlightening moment. Home and all the people she cares about and care about her are in Dragon's Bay.
I dunno, I just don't see the need to have her kill almost a million people, die because of it, then get resurrected just move somewhere else. Plus that's now how the Lord of Light resurrects people, at least according to the show.. there needs to be a purpose. For Jon it was stopping a tyrant from literally taking over the world.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I still cannot believe Jon was exiled to the Wall instead of willingly choosing to go there. Writing 101: The Best Character Moments Are When the Character Chooses What To Do!

Imagine if
Voldemort had killed Harry instead of Harry choosing to be killed by Voldemort. It would have landed like a wet fart.
. That's what Jon being exiled felt like.

"You should totally watch Game of Thrones! Just stop after the fourth season."

Good comparison.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

I tried to tell people for years, but fans were eager to ignore and forgive the garbage writing for dem Tits & Ass & Dragons

But whatever. Feels good being vindicated.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hey guys I'm starting to think these d and d fellas may not be very good writers.