• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Arya killing Night King, Jon Snow not being Azor Ahai, Varys being killed by Dany, etc, etc aren't GRRM then you're crazy - the only way that changes is GRRM wanting to change up from the series and outline he originally gave.

- There is no "Night King", one big bad in the books. There's a historical Night's King but it isn't the same.

- Arya killing the Walker leader is all D&D. They have said as much.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should've waited till this episode to kill off Rhaegal.

That'd make the scorpions and defense of the city make so much more sense. We wouldn't go from "scorpions are extremely good at killing dragons" to "these are terrible". And having one of her dragons die in that moment would add another reason for Dany to go off on the city.

KvotheStrife

May 29, 2018
Just show of hands, how many prople who hated this outcome feel like GRRM will do a much better job of it if/when the books catch up?

Or are Dany's actions so reprehensible that it retroactively ruins a lot of the series, regardless of how fleshed out it is?

Not a loaded question, just genuinely curious because I'm convinced this was always where Martin was headed.
The things is how to get there not what happened

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
The NYT spot-on in its analysis. Money quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/arts/television/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-bells.html

From the beginning, Daenerys has been merciless with enemies like the witch Mirri Maz Duur, the Essos slave masters, the Lannister army and the Tarlys. Back in Qarth she promised to "lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground." (Done and done.) As I wrote before this season began, messianic streaks as profound as hers can, like Targaryens, go either way.

The problem is we've seen far more evidence that she has deep sympathy for the downtrodden, seemingly born of she herself being treated like chattel in the early phases of this story. It was the main driver of the viewer sympathy that just got upended on Sunday.

"In that swollen moment as the bells rang and everyone watched to see what the Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains would do, I thought she would fly straight for Cersei, her understandable flaming rage at the woman who has legitimately wronged her in multiple ways leading to the sort of tragic unintended consequences that can result from messianic leaders following impulsive instincts.
But what we got was Dany deciding to methodically mass murder the exact same kinds of people she lifted up to forge her savior reputation
. (Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, Scorcher of Innocents doesn't have the same ring to it.)"

she mad though

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I need to stop reading Era after watching GoT.

Each time I'm like "that episode was sooo good - great change up, let me see what Era thinks" and each time I come away confused. Especially when I watch with girlfriend or chat with friends who all have pretty positive responses (with some minor nitpicks).

I mean there's some very valid points. There's not enough characterization happening as they are condescending 2 massive novels into 2 to 3~ seasons when it should have been about 4 seasons. If you had some episode padding that really allowed character motivations to develop, it would be better. Now the Dany switch was being foreshadowed for quite a while though.

But "worst tv series ever" and "D&D are hacks butchering this series" are such extreme hate watch hyperbole. First, I really don't understand hate watching - is your time so invaluable that you rather spend your Sunday evenings watching something you hate? Second, all the major plot points are still George RR Martin. The huge difference is just the really shrinking down the timeline and not getting enough characterization in. But if you don't think Dany becoming Mad Queen, Arya killing Night King, Jon Snow not being Azor Ahai, Varys being killed by Dany, etc, etc aren't GRRM then you're crazy - the only way that changes is GRRM wanting to change up from the series and outline he originally gave.
There is no night king in the books.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Visuals were good but some scenes were felt so cheap. Like the 200 Golden company men or the 20 people invading and walking through King's landing streets. This is the same show that gave us battle of bastards. Wtf happened.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the best Miguel Sapochnik episode in terms of direction only?
(I know he did the Gift but that was ok.)

Hardhome
Battle Of The Bastards
The Winds Of Winter
The Long Night
The Bells
Battle of the Bastard is the best medieval fight in the entire series.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate S7/S8 of GoT like 90% of the time, but even my jaded ass had to take a little pause at the FANTASY EPIC that was Cleganebowl.

Look at this fuckin scene! It's like a fantasy novel cover come to life, it's got elements of Luke and Vader, it's got a necromancer whose power is immediately rendered useless. This was nothing like I imagined yet so much more than I hoped for.

o4pj56cwlwx21.png

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
They've spent 2 entire seasons, and at least a few parts in each season before that, building her up to this point of breaking. It's basically the only plot-line in Game of Thrones that feels entirely earned at this point.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Book readers gonna be mad when Jaime does the same thing in the books

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
The sad thing about this season is that outside of the writing, everyone brought their A game. Music, directing, acting... all of it is so good.

I think the director(s) and the producer(s) are also to blame. At one point, someone should have stood up and say that things aren't right.
Also I think Drogon basically breathing C4 isn't something the writers came up with.

The only thing to praise imo is acting. The one thing that saves this season from being called worthless and disgraceful.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Visuals were good but some scenes were felt so cheap. Like the 200 Golden company men or the 20 people invading and walking through King's landing streets. This is the same show that gave us battle of bastards. Wtf happened.
You gotta keep in mind there is more than one entrance to Kings Landing. The attackers and defenders were likely spread out across the various entrances to the city.

600px-Kings_landing_ACOK_map.gif

Heelpop

Oct 28, 2017
Just shaking my head at some of the stuff D&D said in inside the episode video. Jaime and Cersei supposed to die together because they came in the world together, Sandor Clegane's death had to be death by fire (after all he has endured all his life)

Bloody hell

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
D&D are working from an outline of the whole story that GRRM gave them, so all of the major plot beats are direct from GRRM. How they get there is pretty much up to them (GRRM hasn't written an episode in ages, he apparently kept turning in scripts that were way too long, to everyone's surprise)
I hadnt heard that.

Speaks to the utter arrogance of Weiss and Benioff though that has them convinced this shit they have produced after the source materials road maps dried up is up to par enough to dismiss the guy who has written the best episodes of the show because his stuff is more bloated....In a show that has continually rushed through the material to great disservice.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
They've spent 2 entire seasons, and at least a few parts in each season before that, building her up to this point of breaking. It's basically the only plot-line in Game of Thrones that feels entirely earned at this point.
The break idea was fine. It's been foreshadowed for a while The execution wasn't.

They spent two seasons on what should have been 5.

No doubt in my mind this will be a great ending in the books

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
Jamie getting stabbed through his torso TWICE, then being able to walk all the way up to the Red Keep was pretty lame. But I guess they had to write in a way for him to finally see Cersei again, so they can die together. Their double death was very unsatisfying, as I was hoping to see Cersei's head on a stake, at least.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Um where are we supposed to discuss speculation for next episode if we can't do it here?

I get putting speculation in spoilers, but forbidding it entirely in the only OT for the show seems completely ridiculous. We have literally nowhere else to talk about it at. There is only this thread and the leaks thread and thats it. Are we supposed to have a 3rd thread just for speculation?

Morrigan Finale Fireworker shira
Does a mod who knows the ending want to make that thread?
Morrigan Finale Fireworker Volimar

It's going to get tricky with people just outright posting the leaked ending and hiding behind - it's just a guess though.
I'm fine with whatever the mods want to do.
I think requiring spoiler tags on speculation and then having people say what they are speculating about is a fair compromise? That way people know exactly what they are going to be seeing ahead of time and can decide for themselves if they want to click or not.

For example

*insert speculation here

*insert speculation here*

Then just leave it up to the mods and the members if they think anyone is a little too spot on?

Morrigan
I propose the following:

- Thread title to say "No untagged finale speculation".
- Force speculation on the finale to be in spoiler tags, using the format suggested above by Coyote.

Not allowing speculation at all makes no sense and is not an unfair or enforceable rule, IMO.

I can draft a mod-post and threadmark it, if you like. I'll also add something about civility because things are getting heated way too often in here.

While I personally do think that "Mad Queen" will be in the books in some way, shape, or form (as the whole point of the dragons thematically is that winning using such a destructive force renders victory pyrrhic), everyone pointing to that as a reason for last night's laughable absurdity is ignoring the fact that it still made no sense whatsoever.

Even if we are to draw parallels to Aerys II, it's important to note that he grew steadily paranoid and crazy over many years. His ultimate insanity was a gradual process that was the result of multiple events. Further, his defining act as the Mad King - attempting to burn down King's Landing - was a premeditated scheme meant to deprive Robert Baratheon of the capital if it looked as though he was going to win. His "burn them all" moment wasn't some final psychotic snap - it was him realizing that the rebellion was about to be won, and an order to Lord Rossart to ignite the wildfire caches he had hidden away for that exact purpose many months before, directly following Jon Connington's loss at Stoney Sept.

So, no, Daenerys final breaking point does not make sense even in comparison to the Mad King. With Aerys, we know why he acted the way he did. Here? Well, D&D said that Jon rejecting her was the "trigger," or however they put it. She even agreed to Tyrion's surrender conditions before the battle, and although she has felt great loss this season, has been speaking out against tyrants every chance she gets. And then, after certain victory, decides to massacre innocents needlessly? They made little to no effort to explain why she opted to simply slaughter civilians in the street after complete victory was secured. They just did it for the shock and awe twist. That's all the show has been about for years now.
Excellent post, agreed completely.

I need to stop reading Era after watching GoT.

Each time I'm like "that episode was sooo good - great change up, let me see what Era thinks" and each time I come away confused. Especially when I watch with girlfriend or chat with friends who all have pretty positive responses (with some minor nitpicks).

I mean there's some very valid points. There's not enough characterization happening as they are condescending 2 massive novels into 2 to 3~ seasons when it should have been about 4 seasons. If you had some episode padding that really allowed character motivations to develop, it would be better. Now the Dany switch was being foreshadowed for quite a while though.

But "worst tv series ever" and "D&D are hacks butchering this series" are such extreme hate watch hyperbole. First, I really don't understand hate watching - is your time so invaluable that you rather spend your Sunday evenings watching something you hate? Second, all the major plot points are still George RR Martin. The huge difference is just the really shrinking down the timeline and not getting enough characterization in. But if you don't think Dany becoming Mad Queen, Arya killing Night King, Jon Snow not being Azor Ahai, Varys being killed by Dany, etc, etc aren't GRRM then you're crazy - the only way that changes is GRRM wanting to change up from the series and outline he originally gave.
No, this is wrong. There is no Night King in the books.

Now, some of those major story beats are indeed GRRM's, but you'll notice the complaints are not about that, but about how it wasn't earned or didn't make sense. It's entirely possible to write a convincing descent into madness for Dany and I have faith that GRRM will succeed at it; hell, he made Jaime, a dude who pushed a child out of a window to protect his incestuous affair, sympathetic. People aren't complaining that Dany had a heel turn, but about how it happened because it was ridiculously contrived.

Anyway, stop assuming that the TV show is faithful to what GRRM will write, because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. D&D themselves admitted that the Night King, and later, Arya killing him, was their invention.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you. I didn't care for a few episodes this season, but I really enjoyed episode 2 and this one. Still few issues here and there, but overall very well done and fun to watch. Game of Thrones post-books would have been a near impossible task for any writing team.
I enjoyed the whole season so far. ERA seems to be a negative feedback loop for people that want to hate the show.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I've slept on it and... I still can't believe that Danaerys's turn, which has been build to for almost a decade, still somehow felt unearned. The show has cared far too much about sympathizing for Dany, and that gives her turn total whiplash. That, plus the fact that the contents of her turn make no sense. It would still be a turn if she unintentionally killed innocents in pursuit of her goals. Like, if she smashes up the castle in search of Cersei and hundreds of civilians get smushed by falling rubble, she's still the bad guy there and it's less absurd in terms of her character motivations than straight-up burning innocent people. Absolutely no subtlety in the way it was executed. Well-intentioned people can still hurt others, and this seemed to be the story they were going for with her. Instead they turned her into a fucking cartoon villain.

So yeah, I'm still frustrated.
They should've waited till this episode to kill off Rhaegal.

That'd make the scorpions and defense of the city make so much more sense. We wouldn't go from "scorpions are extremely good at killing dragons" to "these are terrible". And having one of her dragons die in that moment would add another reason for Dany to go off on the city.
This would have been great. Two birds, one stone.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has really disliked most of everything this show's been serving up for the past 4 or so seasons, I thought that episode was actually pretty good besides the usual naff shorthand writing.

It felt strangely GoT'nsy in a way I haven't felt in a long time even if it was done on a huge epic scale: It wasn't a simple good vs evil battle as we've been observing for the past few seasons. It was once again about the tragedy of the powerful running amok with their petty games and hunger with the larger population being the ones who pay the ultimate price. The Hollywood/soap opera schlock was largely removed to make way for harrowing, chaotic misery being served up by the very characters we've been empathising and growing with.

Unlike the White Walkers, which once served as strong allegory for climate change but ultimately represented nothing but lazy writing, the dragons have finally fulfilled their role as allegory for nuclear bombs and it's terrifying. A true Hiroshima-like terror that feels tangible and relevant. It helped that Arya felt like a real human again rather than the bland badass she's been for a while now. It was really well directed which I had low expectations for after the 3rd episode which wasn't anything special. But here it felt really nicely grounded in the perspectives of the characters and their harrowing experiences. I liked that once Dany went off, they didn't feel the need to present anything from her perspective. She immediately switched to a terrifying force of nature coming from the skies - her presence always felt without needing to be up close with her.

For all the good though, there was a great share of shit too. Clegane-bowl was something that I never thought would be a good idea and lo and behold, it wasn't. Felt like we were cutting back and forth between a harrowing rendition of the Hiroshima bombings and a scene from Attack of the Clones. Just jarring in the worst way.

Dany going mad just doesn't have strong enough motivation behind it and in hindsight feels like a minor disaster for her character arc. I don't care how angry she was about the previous episode's events - there's simply no good explanation as to why she wouldn't fly straight to Cersei's tower and murder her there and then. That's where her vengeance and rage lie. She damn near killed every single person in the city besides Cersei. There needed to be far more work put into this, whether its her madness (anger, recklessness and tyranny are not examples of symptoms of madness. Dany simply hasn't shown any signs of this at all up until this point), actual disdain for King's Landing and its people as a whole, or a logistical reason as to why she can't simply go straight to the citadel and so she begins burning the city instead (such as the ballistas are armed around the citadel, so she can't fly near).

Jaime... well.... yeah, awful stuff. This isn't a turn for the character. It's a complete and utter regression in the laziest way.

Otherwise, by far the best episode of the season so far and maybe of the past few seasons, of which I hold admittedly low standards for.
This matches how I feel about it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I propose the following:

- Force speculation on the finale to be in spoiler tags, using the format suggested above by Coyote.

Not allowing speculation at all makes no sense and is not an unfair or enforceable rule, IMO.

I can draft a mod-post and threadmark it, if you like. I'll also add something about civility because things are getting heated way too often in here.
Thank you!

Also weren't you supposed to be getting some sleep? lol

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
They tried to warn Cersei several times about what would happen. Hell even S7 said "yea no Dany might steamroll this..."

Army of the dead which had a dragon of its own, backed by ice magic and harsh weather made us forget all those times Dany's dragons steamrolled through a conflict between regular humans.

Yep, and just before this episode Euron's arrows steamrolled Dany's dragons.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Speaks to the utter arrogance of Weiss and Benioff though that has them convinced this shit they have produced after the source materials road maps dried up is up to par enough to dismiss the guy who has written the best episodes of the show because his stuff is more bloated....In a show that has continually rushed through the material to great disservice.

I don't think it's arrogance as much as the fact that the show eventually has to end, so a 4-hour version of the Blackwater just isn't going to fit into what is ultimately about an 80-hour show lol

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a chance to see it and, man, what a dumb fucking episode. It's a shame, because it could have been a great episode if they had done the actual writing work for make this stuff believable.

The worst two things for me were probably these:

- Drogon's plot armor getting activated and all of the scorpion ballistae suddenly failing miserable despite the conditions being far better. It's just impossible to take this at face value after seeing what happened to Rhaegal last episode.

- Dany. I'm sure it's already been said to death in these threads, but they did not earn the Mad Queen thing at all. Not even close. She never once expressed any desire in gleefully slaughtering hundreds of thousands of innocent people and children. She was fine with collateral damage if it meant removing Cersei and her people, but even then she wanted to do it to guarantee no more tyrants would rule over the people. Her destroying the upper part of the city and the red keep would been in character, but just indiscriminately flying through the entire city and obliterating it? No, not at all. That was completely random and out of character.

Sucks that the writers have been favoring pure spectacle over making anything make sense in context for... well a good while now.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Yeeeeeeep. The Night King was invented for the show so the Audience would have a face to put with the enemy rather than the heroes facing a nameless faceless enemy horde.

So they will still win in the books, but it won't be because Arya killed the Night King. Its one of the things I most want to know from the books now actually. How do they really win?

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
This whole season feels so incredibly rushed. What's the reason for summing up the story in one season, when it could have easily spread over two?
Since it's not following the books anyway, why does HBO feel the need to end it in one season?

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell is that indeed. As far as the positives of episode 5 are concerned,

The directing, special effects, and acting were top notch.
Tyrion freeing Jaime was a touching scene. Well done.
Cleganebowl was pure fan service done right. RIP the hound.
Qyburn's death scene was short but sweet. Killed by his own creation was cool.

The ridiculousness of this shortened season is simply staggeringly disappointing. To those saying Dany going "full Mad Queen" was fully in line with where her character has been going from the very start is bullshit. The thing people need to understand is Dany NEVER attacked the people, she literally never turned her anger, her dragons on women and children. Imaging Dany flying around Kings Landing yelling dracarys while watching little boys and girls go up in flames, mothers and children exploding. I don't mind Dany going crazy to some degree, and I've never been a big fan of hers in all honesty, however what she did in episode 5 goes against everything she ever believed in and fought for, and was character assassination to the highest degree. Just a massive head-shake.

Varys and his overall arc, treacherously stating while speaking with Jon "men decide where power resides, weather or not they know it is" was sexist and a disappointing end to his character.
Bran? Utterly useless. Cercei, while doing her best to bring about this war and her prophecy (remember that)? Pointless and useless. Jaime? Disappointing and useless. Arya? Useless. Euron and his fleet of ships, from one episode to another? A giant WTF and head-shake.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Which was largely Varys's point: Maybe the person who doesn't lust for the throne should have it.
She's seen that she can free millions of slaves and more by "taking the throne" in Essos. She started out not wanting or expecting it either, but she found she could do good with her power. It is more than just MUH DESTINY, but that whole break the wheel thing hasn't been at the forefront of her character since... Tyrion and Varys took over as hand and advisor? Hold on a second

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate S7/S8 of GoT like 90% of the time, but even my jaded ass had to take a little pause at the FANTASY EPIC that was Cleganebowl.

Look at this fuckin scene! It's like a fantasy novel cover come to life, it's got elements of Luke and Vader, it's got a necromancer whose power is immediately rendered useless. This was nothing like I imagined yet so much more than I hoped for.

o4pj56cwlwx21.png

In terms of spectacle and visual direction, I think it was a stellar episode. Some cool shit happened, but Cleganebowl was really the only thing that felt earned.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
But if you don't think Dany becoming Mad Queen, Arya killing Night King, Jon Snow not being Azor Ahai, Varys being killed by Dany, etc, etc aren't GRRM then you're crazy - the only way that changes is GRRM wanting to change up from the series and outline he originally gave.
Lol uuuuuh

The Night King only exists in the show and Benioff and Weiss have explicitly stated Arya killing him is their idea, so....

Jan 10, 2018
Bran was nowhere to be seen in this episode. I guess his infinite wisdom was not worth much at all? Or does he pull a "Dr. Strange" where he lets bad things happen in order for better things to come?

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

o4pj56cwlwx21.png
I'd agree with you, except the fight itself was entirely close shot fast cuts. I thought this and the Jamie/ Euron fight were some of the worst shot one on one fights of the series. Shame because the bigger battles this episode were great.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I propose the following:

Yeah go for it, "read staff post" in the title would be much appreciated