Game of Thrones S8 |OT3| My watch has ended. (FULL SPOILERS) (See Staff Post)

Volimar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she had a shitload of dothraki and Unsuillied posted on the other side of Winterfell during the battle that never got any camera time...

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she had a shitload of dothraki and Unsuillied posted on the other side of Winterfell during the battle that never got any camera time...
If the show was smart enough to say that some of them were holding places like Dragonstone, Highgarden, and Casterly Rock during the battle of Winterfell, and they've since met up, it would feel like less of an ass pull when more and more of them seem to show up each episode.

OP
OP
shira

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Please if you are going to guess what is happening in the finale spoiler tag it.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
It's fitting D&D are going to do Star Wars. The heel turn that Dany goes through in this episode was about as convincing as Anakin's in ROTS.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Hey... What are the odds that Dany does indeed 'break the wheel', get taken out, and then the 7 kingdoms are left to rule themselves independently?

What if no one sits on the throne?
That isn't 'breaking the wheel'. That's neatly dismantling it until a kingdom becomes strong enough to subdue the others and restablish The Iron Throne.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's rather funny how that short clip with Coster-Waldau in the tweet leaves out the last few words of his answer to the question for no apparent reason. Where he is concluding with "I don't how to do this! How do you do it? And they go yeah we hear you, just try it........and then it turns out okay". Hard to understand cutting someone off mid sentence.

To be fair about the Conleth Hill interview, while he doesn't definitely say he hates the show, the final season or his own ending (that he liked). He does mention that his character seemed to lose all his intelligence in the end and just appeared for weather reports because he seemed to know nothing anymore. It seemed to be something that disappointed him that his character didn't have much importance and meaning anymore as you also said. Hill also admits that it's rather personal and selfish thing and the nature of multi-character show. He would have also wanted a final scene with Littlefinger and to be there when he died, because he was his nemesis. But I don't know how that could be taken as throwing shade either.
Right. I mean I think those points are all fair, even if some are a bit of a reach (another Littlefinger/Varys scene would've been cool but I'm not sure where or how that happens, unless you delay Littlefinger's death until after Dany arrives?), but not exactly the "the GoT cast is turning on the showrunners" narrative that some are trying to push. There was another one with Lena Heady, where she mentioned having mixed feelings the first time she read the script for The Bells because she had wanted Cersei to go down in some big action scene, and that was framed as not her not liking the story. But, like Hill and Coster-Waldau and Harrington, she said she came to like the final result. In any event, whatever people were disappointed with about Cersei's death, I'm not sure it's improved on at all by having her go down fighting haha.

It's fitting D&D are going to do Star Wars. The heel turn that Dany goes through in this episode was about as convincing as Anakin's in ROTS.
having rewatched that movie recently for the first time in ages, Anakin's turn was way worse and more sudden than I remember it being. I actually think that movie is alright overall, all things considered, but that scene in particular was just an enormous jump in character development, it was like he flicked a switch.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton

I was on board the moment Jaime pushed Bran out of the window. That’s when I realised that this was going to be special and different show.

DrForester

Oct 25, 2017

New promo image.

Holy fuck! King's Landing is actually completely gone. It's literally just ruins now.

It didn't seem like that much damage was done last episode but I guess the fire spread tremendously.

Daenerys gonna rule from Dragonstone then or as Queen of the Ashes?

So, so Dothraki and Unsullied breed via Meiosis or something?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

New promo image.

Holy fuck! King's Landing is actually completely gone. It's literally just ruins now.

It didn't seem like that much damage was done last episode but I guess the fire spread tremendously.

Dany was going for literally half the episode and when Arya woke up there was nothing but ashes and destroyed buildings....

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton
How does Dany get Drogon to attack stuff that isn’t specifically a threat? I suppose Drogon can tell enemies firing at them easily, but for like the city was she just going,

“Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys!”

For 30 minutes straight?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
How does Dany get Drogon to attack stuff that isn’t specifically a threat? I suppose Drogon can tell enemies firing at them easily, but for like the city was she just going,

“Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys!”

For 30 minutes straight?
Dragon riding is similar to warging.

Dracarys is the cool one liner for the audience's benefit

Jan 19, 2019
100%

He seemed kinda pissed he was sidelined the last few seasons.

New promo image.

I really thought the white walkers reduced her army to way less then that

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

For 30 minutes straight?
Dragons share a semi-psychic bond with their riders. As Tyrion said they know who their rider's enemies and friends are.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? So she’s in a trance while riding, or do you mean her and Drogon are somehow connected so if she looks at something to strike Drogon also senses it and hits the target?
Like they're connected telepathically and they know what the rider wants to do. Which makes more sense than her shouting commands and twisting some back spikes to command him to do complex flight maneuvers.

Jon even said as much in that scene from episode 1 of this season. "It's like he knew where I wanted to go" or something.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton
Dragons share a semi-psychic bond with their riders. As Tyrion said they know who their rider's enemies and friends are.
Like they're connected telepathically and they know what the rider wants to do. Which makes more sense than her shouting commands and twisting some back spikes to command him to do complex flight maneuvers.

Jon even said as much in that scene from episode 1 of this season. "It's like he knew where I wanted to go" or something.
So Drogon knows her enemies and still targeted the civilians? Dragons are supposed to be more than just brute animals right?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So Drogon knows her enemies and still targeted the civilians? Dragons are supposed to be more than just brute animals right?
Daenerys knew she was targeting civilians. That's why it's garbage.

Dragons are supposed to be pretty smart animals, but still just animals. They and their rider they've bonded to have a special connection, though.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was just saying she didn't have to kill all the civilians like that to "break the wheel".
I feel like you're not getting the point, here.

When she says 'break the wheel', she simply means 'break it for everyone who is not a Targaryen.'

She believes the throne belongs to her, by birthright, and that it was stolen from her family by the usurper. It's why when she sees her dream slipping away (Jon's rightful claim), she realizes that in order for her to fulfill her 'destiny' she needs to be the dragon- She needed to send a statement: Bend the knee or die.

It's why I really don't hope D&D don't go with the 'she just snapped, bruh!' angle, because it's actually a really powerful story arc without throwing in the insanity angle.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Jaime was only ever going to die one of three ways.

Either side by side with Cersei during the destruction of King's Landing
Killing Cersei during the destruction of King's Landing
With Brienne during the destruction of King's Landing/fighting the whitewalkers

They chose the worst of the three endings, but remember, I highly doubt George didn't tell them this...

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I’m not a reader of the books and I understand Jaime is different in the book, but I have to ask if people genuinely thought this guy deserved any different of an ending? I’ll admit that I never liked Jaime as a character through the show and that’s largely cus I felt it never gave me a genuine reason to.
His turn back to Cersei is just so odd. It’s so abrupt that it’s jarring.

Bronn informs Jaime that Cersei sent him to end his life. He also learns that Cersei’s army ambushed Dany and killed one of her dragons. Next thing you know he is leaving Winterfell and heading back to her.

I know that deep down he still has feelings for her but why the suddenly random turn?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Jaime doesn't randomly turn to Cersei. His purpose for going to King's Landing is to persuade her to surrender.

He stays with her in the end because he knows he is about to die and so is she. He has nothing to lose by returning to Cersei. His last words are comforting. It's the same thing as what Bran says to Theon.