Game of Thrones S8 |OT3| My watch has ended. (FULL SPOILERS) (See Staff Post)

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Jaime doesn't randomly turn to Cersei. His purpose for going to King's Landing is to persuade her to surrender.

He stays with her in the end because he knows he is about to die and so is she. He has nothing to lose by returning to Cersei. His last words are comforting. It's the same thing as what Bran says to Theon.
The last thing he learns before leaving is that Dany was ambushed and lost a Dragon. Sansa informs him that she won’t get to see Cersei executed.

Persuade her to surrender when she appears to be winning?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The last thing he learns before leaving is that Dany was ambushed and lost a Dragon. Sansa informs him that she won’t get to see Cersei executed.

Persuade her to surrender when she appears to be winning?

Surrender to prevent Daenerys from doing what she did, flee in exile. It's important for Jaime to be with his sister. They're not planning on having sex again.

Given the super fast characters turns, which makes more sense, him returning to be with her at the end or him hating her and choking her to death?

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Surrender to prevent Daenerys from doing what she did, flee in exile. It's important for Jaime to be with his sister. They're not planning on having sex again.

Given the super fast characters turns, which makes more sense, him returning to be with her at the end or him hating her and choking her to death?
Him throwing her out a window.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep acting like the Seven Kingdoms breaking up to be independent kingdoms again is a good thing? That is a bad thing, do people not realize that the Seven Kingdoms were constantly at war with each other. Aegon's Conquest brought stability and relative peace, there were wars but nothing like the amount of wars prior to the Conquest. Westeros was chaos before Aegon's Conquest, returning to that chaos would not be a good thing.

I’m not a reader of the books and I understand Jaime is different in the book, but I have to ask if people genuinely thought this guy deserved any different of an ending? I’ll admit that I never liked Jaime as a character through the show and that’s largely cus I felt it never gave me a genuine reason to.
There ya go.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/book-jaime-redemption-knight-lannister-v-show-jaime-fuck-boi-lannister-lets-do-this.100344/

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton
Why do people keep acting like the Seven Kingdoms breaking up to be independent kingdoms again is a good thing? That is a bad thing, do people not realize that the Seven Kingdoms were constantly at war with each other. Aegon's Conquest brought stability and relative peace, there were wars but nothing like the amount of wars prior to the Conquest. Westeros was chaos before Aegon's Conquest, returning to that chaos would not be a good thing.

:-p

We can have a sequel series set a few hundred years in the future, and the opening pilot would essentially be:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm actually surprised they didn't have Cersei and Jaime start fucking for their last moments. They could never help it before and it would've actually been amusing this time with seeing rocks crush them in the middle of it.

Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Jaime was only ever going to die one of three ways.

Either side by side with Cersei during the destruction of King's Landing
Killing Cersei during the destruction of King's Landing
With Brienne during the destruction of King's Landing/fighting the whitewalkers

They chose the worst of the three endings, but remember, I highly doubt George didn't tell them this...
Yeah but how do you reconcile the that with Cersei being prophecized to die via strangling by the little brother

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
There is no perfect answer and GRRM isn't trying to support any one political structure over another. That isn't the point.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Dany going full fire and brimstone and having it all be resolved in one episode reminds of Supernatural. A character would undergo some massive change and then it would be resolved in the next episode, shit was infuriating cause I wanted to see what the status quo would be like with such a change, how different all the usual interactions would be.

I hope Dany goes full Sheev in Revenge of the Sith next episode, if it's only one episode I need the memes to be immortal.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton
Dany going full fire and brimstone and having it all be resolved in one episode reminds of Supernatural. A character would undergo some massive change and then it would be resolved in the next episode, shit was infuriating cause I wanted to see what the status quo would be like with such a change, how different all the usual interactions would be.

I hope Dany goes full Sheev in Revenge of the Sith next episode, if it's only one episode I need the memes to be immortal.
Yeah if we’re going stupid, I want it to be full stupid.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There ya go.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/book-jaime-redemption-knight-lannister-v-show-jaime-fuck-boi-lannister-lets-do-this.100344/
Just read and holy shit. George probably regrets giving them his books to adapt. Could do you maybe do a write up on Jon?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I read this when you posted it and I’m not sure if you’re disagreeing with me? Talking strictly about show Jaime, and regardless if he’s well written overall or consistent, is he the type of character people are genuinely upset didn’t receive a better ending? He’s never come across as a character I should genuinely like and root for, to me. So, I was not at all surprised he made his way back to Cersei knowing full well she was about to be obliterated To either escape with her or go down with her.

I can see why if book Jaime did this it’d be some bullshit, but show Jaime? I don’t see it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I read this when you posted it and I’m not sure if you’re disagreeing with me? Talking strictly about show Jaime, and regardless if he’s well written overall or consistent, is he the type of character people are genuinely upset didn’t receive a better ending? He’s never come across as a character I should genuinely like and root for, to me. So, I was not at all surprised he made his way back to Cersei knowing full well she was about to be obliterated To either escape with her or go down with her.

I can see why if book Jaime did this it’d be some bullshit, but show Jaime? I don’t see it.
This is the problem, especially since Show Jaime followed Book Jaime for near 4 seasons. How can the man who saved King's Landing suddenly declare he's never cared for innocents? It's a gross misreading of his character that fundamentally fails to understand who he is and what he cares about.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Just read and holy shit. George probably regrets giving them his books to adapt. Could do you maybe do a write up on Jon?
Hmmm, this is a interesting one that I think I will tackle. People kept pestering me about Stannis, but they are so different between Book and Show that it'd be near pointless. But, I did end up writing those Stannis Treatsie posts a few weeks back. Still, there's too much fi a disparity between Show Stannis and Book Stannis to even merit such a write up. However, Jon Snow would be a good thread especially since the show currently wants to portray him as some honorable idiot to a fault when Book Jon Snow is far more nuance and not so concerned with honor.

EDIT:

Whoops, double post.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, this is a interesting one that I think I will tackle. People kept pestering me about Stannis, but they are so different between Book and Show that it'd be near pointless. But, I did end up writing those Stannis Treatsie posts a few weeks back. Still, there's too much fi a disparity between Show Stannis and Book Stannis to even merit such a write up. However, Jon Snow would be a good thread especially since the show currently wants to portray him as some honorable idiot to a fault when Book Jon Snow is far more nuance and not so concerned with honor.

EDIT:

Whoops, double post.
So in that case were Ned and Robb the only Starks who were honor bound?

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that Jaime line "I never really cared for them" line even made it past the cutting room floor. It's weird no one contested that. He literally left Cersei 6 episodes ago to defend innocent people for the sake of humanity

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know, going back and watching the third episode of the series, it's kinda funny. Even Joffrey had some good ideas now and again (Giving Westeros a standing army). Like, even the most batshit character in the entire series had a good idea. Now Tyrion is dumber than Joffrey.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I have another bone to pick with this last episode. This goes into the previous season, and episode 3 of this season

Can we all agree that zombie Viserion breathes fire? If not, tell me what you think he breathes.

If we agree that zViserion breathes blue fire, blue fire is way hotter, and way more intense than standard yellow fire. The wall has magic woven into it, so perhaps the combination of a dead dragon being a magical creature as well as blue fire being so intensely hot, was enough to breach a hole in the wall. So that's last season.

This season, in episode 5, we see Drogon blast stone buildings of King's Landing down to the ground while he's also burning the people. So dragonfire as destructive capabilities. Then in episode 3, there was a scene where Jon was trying to outrun a zombie horde. He closes a gate inside the castle walls, bounding them temporarily, but eventually they break it down and chase him again. As Jon is running, he then encounters zViserion who he then deals with the rest of the episode. Except, what happened to the zombie horde that was following him?

As a viewer, I just deduced that zViserion blasted them to smithereens himself with the blue fire. Blue fire would deal more damage to the zombie army than yellow fire again. But if this isn't how the zombie horde disappeared then it doesn't make sense. Jon should be cornered between the zombies and the zombie dragon.

Now, onto my main point. Jon isn't able to escape zViserion and he's hiding behind Winterfell stone. Except, we see how Drogon's standard yellow fire blasts stone apart in King's Landing, and knowing blue fire is so much hotter and more intense than yellow fire, then how did it not explode and crush Jon behind his back when he was using the stone as cover?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So in that case were Ned and Robb the only Starks who were honor bound?
Well, Ned Stark is more nuanced than that, especially since we know he lied most of his life about Jon Snow. People seem to think Ned Stark was some idiot, easily killed because of his stubbornness. But, it took a whole season for the varying factions in King's Landing to take him down. His "honor" or kindness killed him, but he was never so honorable that he'd walk his whole family into sword point. Robb's "honorable" act was marrying Jeyne Westerling in the books. But, unlike the show he didn't marry her out of some blind love, but because he didn't want to father a bastard. The tragedy is that Catelyn is partially responsible for Robb's eventual downfall because Robb grew up seeing how Catelyn treated Jon and didn't want his child treated the same, thus he marries Jeyne.

Book Jon cares about honor, but he has a responsibility as Lord Commander to protect the realm and his men. And thus, he has to make some hard choices. Choices that run up against the concept of honor. He's not some bastion of truth incapable of telling a lie. He'll lie when he has to, beg if he needs to, barter/compromise when he can, and threaten where it's required. Remember even in the show, Jon Snow was once a dude that entered Mance Rayder's tent on a false notion of peace in order to assassinate him. The show then abandons this concept to preserve lily white, goody Jon Snow. The books are all about exploring this aspect of his character and the notion of what is right.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that Jaime line "I never really cared for them" line even made it past the cutting room floor. It's weird no one contested that. He literally left Cersei 6 episodes ago to defend innocent people for the sake of humanity
Not that it completely exonerates D&D... But I kinda thought he was kidding when I was watching it the first time.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao
Well, Ned Stark is more nuanced than that, especially since we know he lied most of his life about Jon Snow. People seem to think Ned Stark was some idiot, easily killed because of his stubbornness. But, it took a whole season for the varying factions in King's Landing to take him down. His "honor" or kindness killed him, but he was never so honorable that he'd walk his whole family into sword point. Robb's "honorable" act was marrying Jeyne Westerling in the books. But, unlike the show he didn't marry her out of some blind love, but because he didn't want to father a bastard. The tragedy is that Catelyn is partially responsible for Robb's eventual downfall because Robb grew up seeing how Catelyn treated Jon and didn't want his child treated the same, thus he marries Jeyne.

Book Jon cares about honor, but he has a responsibility as Lord Commander to protect the realm and his men. And thus, he has to make some hard choices. Choices that run up against the concept of honor. He's not some bastion of truth incapable of telling a lie. He'll lie when he has to, beg if he needs to, barter/compromise when he can, and threaten where it's required. Remember even in the show, Jon Snow was once a dude that entered Mance Rayder's tent on a false notion of peace in order to assassinate him. The show then abandons this concept to preserve lily white, goody Jon Snow. The books are all about exploring this aspect of his character and the notion of what is right.
So you think he shouldn’t have told Sansa and Arya the truth about himself?

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Jon keeps screwing his aunt and they live happily ever after with her as the rightful queen.

...yeah, that's a shit, terrible ending and I'm glad Jon told his family.

siteseer

Oct 27, 2017
ps4, pc
wow you guys are so pissed you're even going after that piddling amount of troops in the promo. there are like less than 200 dothraki, less than 500 unsullied. if she had 20k or 30k to start with she'd be down more than 99%. lol