• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed the episode. Very cinematic and well down. The only gripes I have are about Jaime... I feel like went from sleeping with Brienne to, I need to rescue Cersei right now real quick. Wish there was more to it than him just finding Cersei and dying together. The Dany thing is something they've been foreshadowing for a while now, I really didn't have a problem with her snapping.

Someone summed it up nicely but GRRM writes really believable characters and let's his characters find their way through the story. It ends with great characters, but he clearly struggled with getting it characters in the right spot at times (he cites Dany in Mareen as an example). With an end date you have D&D trying to really funnel everything back in, in a short amount of time. The strength of GRMM characters is probably what's taking him so long to write it all. Wish they went with more episodes but, clearly, can't dwell on that anymore lol.

Yep, and just before this episode Euron's arrows steamrolled Dany's dragons.

It definitely felt more like they caught the other damaged dragon by surprise. Once aware, Drogon evaded all the other arrows last week too. This week she used the sun's glare and came down on them at a steep angle.

In a show about magic and dragons... that makes enough sense to go with it.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
The NYT spot-on in its analysis. Money quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/arts/television/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-bells.html

From the beginning, Daenerys has been merciless with enemies like the witch Mirri Maz Duur, the Essos slave masters, the Lannister army and the Tarlys. Back in Qarth she promised to "lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground." (Done and done.) As I wrote before this season began, messianic streaks as profound as hers can, like Targaryens, go either way.

The problem is we've seen far more evidence that she has deep sympathy for the downtrodden, seemingly born of she herself being treated like chattel in the early phases of this story. It was the main driver of the viewer sympathy that just got upended on Sunday.

"In that swollen moment as the bells rang and everyone watched to see what the Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains would do, I thought she would fly straight for Cersei, her understandable flaming rage at the woman who has legitimately wronged her in multiple ways leading to the sort of tragic unintended consequences that can result from messianic leaders following impulsive instincts.
But what we got was Dany deciding to methodically mass murder the exact same kinds of people she lifted up to forge her savior reputation
. (Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, Scorcher of Innocents doesn't have the same ring to it.)"
I think we started to see signs of her change in season 7, and what happened in the last episode wasn't out of step with that. She became obsessed with her identity and what she felt was her right to the throne of the seven kingdoms, and she placed its importance above all else.

This was apparent when she:

*Demanded that Jon bend the knee even after she knew he was a genuinely good person and would be a reliable ally (and after falling in love with him!), despite the position that'd put him in in the North.
*When Sansa was understandably angry with the situation in S8E1, Daenerys, instead of allowing Sansa her anger, said "you should respect your queen"
*When Jon revealed to Daenerys his true identity, her sole concern was keeping her claim to the throne, regardless of who had the better birthright. Not even ruling together (as lovers!) seemed to have crossed her mind.

Her becoming Queen of *all* seven kingdoms became paramount, regardless the cost. I disliked this change of character, because it seemed very at odds with her identity in earlier seasons, but it foreshadowed her decision to destroy King's Landing out of anger.

She became wrapped up in her own desires, and had began to feel that even her own allies were attempting to keep her from her throne, while the only adviser she fully trusted had just been executed before her. As she said in the last episode, she will now rule through fear.

I was #TeamDaenerys prior to her landing in Westeros.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Agreed completely. I thought she was gonna do that too. Rushing towards the Red Keep and burning it all down as part of her vengeance against the Lannisters/Baratheons/etc., and civilians dying as collateral damage while Tyrion and Jon go "noooo dammit", would have been OK. I'd have accepted it.

But Dany going out of her way to target civilians was just completely unearned.
Right, and then their forces using that as permission to sack the city would make more thematic sense.

Still allowing all the horror and "what have I done" moments for Jon. Dany can double back and attack troops in civilian populations if she wants to ratchet it up.

But of course her flying to the red keep to destroy it denies Sandor's arc, Jaime's ridiculous arc, Arya's ridiculous arc, so they had to have her just mow through civilians for thirty minutes for plot reasons.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the bells started ringing and Dany obviously started feeling very conflicted, I thought it was because she did not want to let Cersei have a chance to escape alive. She got up and started flying to the red keep, and I thought she was just going to decimate it right there, but then she started attacking the lower city in a seemingly random fashion and nothing made sense anymore. That was pure character assassination.

Will be the most memorable example of character assassination I've ever seen. Sleeping it over didn't change the fact that I'm still baffled at how dirty they did Dany this episode.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
It's probably inevitable. This would have been a completely outstanding 9th episode in a 10 episode season, but even then people probably are just mad because they like Dany and want her to be a hero (like what happened with Stannis, who everyone bafflingly worshipped even though/because he was a complete fascist). We got it as a slightly-undermotivated 5th episode which probably exacerbates the reaction, but I think it would've happened anyway. Fandoms always seem to want neat bows and weddings.
Nah. Dany isn't a character I like very much (book and show), and I believe they just ruined her arc completely. It's not even what happened, it's what lead us there.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I hate S7/S8 of GoT like 90% of the time, but even my jaded ass had to take a little pause at the FANTASY EPIC that was Cleganebowl.

Look at this fuckin scene! It's like a fantasy novel cover come to life, it's got elements of Luke and Vader, it's got a necromancer whose power is immediately rendered useless. This was nothing like I imagined yet so much more than I hoped for.

o4pj56cwlwx21.png

I said these exact words when this shot came up.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reddit is a goldmine.

9h4x6apenyx21.jpg

Battle Lighting has been turned up 3000x. Complaints that the Battle of Winterfell was too dark have been heard, so Dany will be flying Drogon systematically up and down every alley of King's Landing and torching every building with dragon fire to ensure maximum lighting is reached.

The Mountain was a QTE (quick time event) boss fight.

This is bullshit, I spent $5.99 on the Golden Company lootbox and they were useless

also you guys still haven't added the elephants that were in the concept art and press conferences before this expansion.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Wow, That was an awesome episode. Been loving this season.

As expected Era hates it.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Nah. Dany isn't a character I like very much (book and show), and I believe they just ruined her arc completely. It's not even what happened, it's what lead us there.

I do think it's rushed but in the first 7 seasons Dany
-burns innocent people
-burns innocent people
-burns innocent people

Also I was speaking mostly of the "casual" (tv-only, not theorizing) fandom. The books definitely do a better job complicating Dany to the point where I can see disliking her in the books, but I'm not really sure why you'd dislike her in the show when she gets a lot of real hero edits

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I like how they made it seem like Cersei had a chance and then the battle ends with just Drogon.

Why did Dany need an army again?

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Agreed completely. I thought she was gonna do that too. Rushing towards the Red Keep and burning it all down as part of her vengeance against the Lannisters/Baratheons/etc., and civilians dying as collateral damage while Tyrion and Jon go "noooo dammit", would have been OK. I'd have accepted it.

But Dany going out of her way to target civilians was just completely unearned.
I think someone said that this is what she meant by "fear it is, then" when she spoke to jon. This was a message to preempt anyone who would fight her for Jon.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bran was nowhere to be seen in this episode. I guess his infinite wisdom was not worth much at all? Or does he pull a "Dr. Strange" where he lets bad things happen in order for better things to come?
Perhaps, it's better for Jon to see Dany for what she is rather then trying to convince him.

Say what you want about Stark sense of loyalty and honor (something I love about them) but the lines are always clear for them, even if they don't like it.

People fucked Jon, he cut thier heads off, he didn't blame other "influences", he firmly stood with the idea, if influences are going to come at him, then come.

He cut down his own man during the onslaught, that's leadership.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If Cersei had elephants it would've gone way differently.

Bran was nowhere to be seen in this episode. I guess his infinite wisdom was not worth much at all? Or does he pull a "Dr. Strange" where he lets bad things happen in order for better things to come?

I mean yeah, he pretty much said the same with Jamie and Theon. Also does he even care what the world of man does... he seemed to only care about the long night.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Are we sure the bells didn't start playing Seth Rollins' theme song and Dany took the "BURN IT DOWNNNNNNNN!" part too literal?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oh man we got a Griffith stan and not even in a Berserk thread
I will admit that
Fantasia is dope

I'm far from a Griffith stan. My point was that at least the people who try to justify his actions have an argument to make. There's no argument that could be made to justify what D&D made Dany do. It didn't make sense in the moment, and it was unsupported by her development over the last seven seasons.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For the most part, I've still enjoyed this season but just like last season, it's feeling rushed. Less episodes was a mistake for sure.

Dany going mad was done far too quick, when it should have been done with more build up, making it more believable. They should have had more hints of her going mad over the last few seasons, not just in 2 episodes this season lol.

Then on the other end of the scale, we got 2 massive build up's, both from the very first episode onward (Night King / WW's and Cersie) and they both ended with disappointing whimper, instead of some grand, satisfying pay off.

I did enjoy the Kings Landing battle or should I say slaughter lol plus Cleganebowl and Jamie vs Euron though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Some ground rules for this thread:
  • Do not post content from leaks under any circumstances in this thread (use the Leaks thread for this). Posting such content, including disguised as "speculation" or "prediction", will be harshly moderated.
  • Please post all speculation and prediction for the finale in spoiler tags. Obvious jokes don't need to be spoiler-tagged but it might still be safer to do so.
  • Be civil when discussing and disagreeing. Avoid generalizing, antagonizing, or trolling other members.
  • Examples of the above include calling critics of the season as "hater nerds", or calling defenders of the season as "dumb". This is poor behaviour and will result in harsher moderation than before going forward.
Thank you for understanding.
547640182375972864.png

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when this was Tyrion:

tumblr_n5fw94agDO1s7rkafo4_250.gif

tumblr_n5fw94agDO1s7rkafo2_250.gif

Now he's all about the Geneva Conventions and getting his own allies killed.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have no issue with that logic or her being able to defeat them, it's all in how the show has presented these things to us. The crossbows being a legitimate threat was built up for years, we do see one kill a dragon (because they were hiding behind rocks I guess). But then when they are finally used in a large battle at scale they do ABSOLUTELY nothing, and we get the exact same fly by of her destroying them 4 or 5 times. It felt like a youtube parody video more than anything. Even a stupid throwaway line about them being hard to turn or having some sort of blindspot would have been nice, but nah Dany just shows up and goes super warlord.

To your point, every time we've seen the dragons in battle they don't fuck around and typically wreck house. It was just a very eye rolling reveal to me.

But that's kind of their point to Cersei not surrendering prior. Drogon's been hit once, Rhaegal got done dirty...huh maybe I can wait this shit out if the dragons are effectively neutralized. It makes her overconfident. Makes her think she can get away with murdering Missandei and flipping Dany the bird. There's really no conflict if the ballistas don't exist to buoy up Cersei's confidence.

But, when you're defending a fixed position with these hulking weapons and Dany already knows where they are? And she's shown she can dodge ice lances and ballistas quiet effectively when she knows they're there? Byeeee.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I'm hoping the final battle is actually against Aegon in the books, with Cersei having died well before. That seems to be what they're setting up anyway.

That would be awesome but I think it's unlikely given that GRRM shared the denoument with D&D. I think the first 4 episodes' material will be super different but I think this episode and the next one will be more or less the same.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
That's why I don't buy the idea that it was foreshadowed. She's been vengeful and angry at times but it's always been really targeted at specific wrongs on really terrible people. Warlocks, slavers, and witches were killed but never really at the expense of innocents. When her dragon killed a single innocent they were chained up. The Mad King went mad over time without a triggering event aside from paranoid delusions with no basis. This is not that.
Exactly, this was handled so so poorly, there was absolutely no reason for her to turn on the people lol, her anger was squarely with Cersei and Euron and to a lesser extent their armies. That moment ruined this whole episode. Make it believable.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I hate S7/S8 of GoT like 90% of the time, but even my jaded ass had to take a little pause at the FANTASY EPIC that was Cleganebowl.

Look at this fuckin scene! It's like a fantasy novel cover come to life, it's got elements of Luke and Vader, it's got a necromancer whose power is immediately rendered useless. This was nothing like I imagined yet so much more than I hoped for.

o4pj56cwlwx21.png

Yeah this shot was fucking beautiful. Definitely felt like concept art come to life.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
You know what ?

I don't want another live adaptation when the books are done. The actors are too deeply associated with the characters.

BUT an animated series following the exact same plot from the books... I would like that.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Should've blown up the Red Keep first.

Yep, should have gone STRAIGHT FOR THE WOMAN SHE IS SO ANGRY AT and burned the whole thing to the ground. Then in the chaos innocents get hurt and her allies start going oh dear. Even then if you really want to go further have her then start burning EVERYTHING after that to make her become the complete insane mad queen they apparently wanted?

As it is, she didn't even care about getting to Cersei lol. Wasted all that time, Cersei could have left ages ago. :\

Are we supposed to believe Dany does all that then after her people are like "Cersei got away your grace." and she just shrugs. WTF WAS THE POINT OF ALL THIS? Didn't even get her revenge.

"But she mad tho."

:|

Oct 25, 2017
That would be awesome but I think it's unlikely given that GRRM shared the denoument with D&D. I think the first 4 episodes' material will be super different but I think this episode and the next one will be more or less the same.
Eeeeeggh you're probably right. I'd love for the books to be very meaningfully different than the show. Young Griff seems like too important of a character for him to not factor into the ending in some way.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean this was all foreshadowed not only in the books, but Bran's visions right?

He saw crumbling Red Keep.

He saw dragon(s) flying over King's Landing.

Overall, I think the story will end well - the problem has been the pacing these last 2 season. We're sued to much more fleshed out characters, and that would have helped a lot in understanding why Dany went fill CrayQueen.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
I think we started to see signs of her change in season 7, and what happened in the last episode wasn't out of step with that. She became obsessed with her identity and what she felt was her right to the throne of the seven kingdoms, and she placed its importance above all else.

This was apparent when she:

*Demanded that Jon bend the knee even after she knew he was a genuinely good person and would be a reliable ally (and after falling in love with him!), despite the position that'd put him in in the North.
*When Sansa was understandably angry with the situation in S8E1, Daenerys, instead of allowing Sansa her anger, said "you should respect your queen"
*When Jon revealed to Daenerys his true identity, her sole concern was keeping her claim to the throne, regardless of who had the better birthright. Not even ruling together (as lovers!) seemed to have crossed her mind.

Her becoming Queen of *all* seven kingdoms became paramount, regardless the cost. I disliked this change of character, because it seemed very at odds with her identity in earlier seasons, but it foreshadowed her decision to destroy King's Landing out of anger.

She became wrapped up in her own desires, and had began to feel that even her own allies were attempting to keep her from her throne, while the only adviser she fully trusted had just been executed before her. As she said in the last episode, she will now rule through fear.

I was #TeamDaenerys prior to her landing in Westeros.
I believe we all got the hints. However, that kind of behavior from Dany was still somewhat "acceptable", for someone who is used to rule as an absolute monarch. Like Tyrion said to Varys, kings and queens don't like to have their authority questioned. We all saw her becoming gradually greedy towards power, but that wasn't really enough to justify last episode's slaughtering.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He lets bad things happen for the greater good. Only thing is, there's no indication that he cares about the human on human conflict since the NK has been defeated. I feel like if it were up to him he'd go back to that tree in the North.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

Turns out Emilia only acted so well in that episode because she thinks "grief and hurt" justifies genocide...although maybe she didn't actually know what Dany did when she recorded that scene?

As an actor, she's got to try to get into her character's headspace somehow. I don't blame her. She can't just go "yep, she's crazy"

This interview also draws attention to how dumb it is when even the person playing the character can't justify what a turn it was to murder the whole city. She's trying to justify it, but it's just bad and unearned

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yep, and just before this episode Euron's arrows steamrolled Dany's dragons.

This is just being negative for the sake of being negative. Euron lucked out against a distracted Dany and a wounded dragon. They succeeded in a surprise attack that led them to become overconfident.

Next thing they know, Dany and Drogon actually come prepared and all their bullshit little weapons mean nothing. It's basically the bad guys playing themselves, and Cersei's delusional speech is the proof.

You guys keep asking for nuance but you refuse to hear anything that isn't hammered in your skull.