• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Remember when this was Tyrion:

tumblr_n5fw94agDO1s7rkafo4_250.gif

tumblr_n5fw94agDO1s7rkafo2_250.gif

Now he's all about the Geneva Conventions and getting his own allies killed.
Characters grow and change.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm far from a Griffith stan. My point was that at least the people who try to justify his actions have an argument to make. There's no argument that could be made to justify what D&D made Dany do. It didn't make sense in the moment, and it was unsupported by her development over the last seven seasons.
Have we ever seen Dany lose so much that personally meant to her so quickly? Followed by how alone and betrayed she felt by literally everyone around her. I agree with Emilia that it's less genetic madness and moreso someone with a dragon being pushed their to absolute limit mentally.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He lets bad things happen for the greater good. Only thing is, there's no indication that he cares about the human on human conflict since the NK has been defeated. I feel like if it were up to him he'd go back to that tree in the North.

I do love how they've completely changed the nature of the 3ER into unemotional history books when they are clearly NOT that in the novels.

D&D kinda forgot that Yara exists.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I was really expecting Cersei to have some sort of plan, too. We see wildfire explosions all over the city so I guess there was some trap in place but they were just crushed by Drogon who used Agility and it was super effective.

Cleganebowl was at least a +

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Except Griffith had lost everything and was at his lowest point. He was physically destroyed, felt betrayed, and had lost his dream. He was backed into a corner, and given a way out.

Dany had won. She's lost a lot, sure, but she'd won. Nothing the show presented justified her losing her goddamn mind, torching thousands of innocent women & children. Hell, she locked her "children" up in a dungeon because they killed one child.
That moment when you realize Griffith was more justified in his actions than Dany O_O. (He even had a smaller body count than her...)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly surprised more people, especially here with its progressive bent, didn't criticize the episode more. I mostly enjoyed it, while I think the season has been a shit show due to the Army of the Dead resolution and toss aside, at least I felt this episode closed a bunch of arcs. Maybe not in entirely satisfying ways and a whole lot of jumps from A to Z with nothing in between, but at least Kings Landing is toast, Cersei, Euron, Jaime, Cleganes, Varys, and Qyburn are dead, and Lannisters forces are wiped out.

I'm surprised more people aren't enraged by

-- Dany goes nuts because a man rejected her. Episode could have easily had her go crazy because her second dragon or Missandei die (moved from prev episode) but nope, its because Jon rejects her and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Is the lesson from GoT that women are not fit to rule? That really seems to be the narrative, especially when combined with Cersei. The "after episode" stream with the two writers also confirm Dany went mad because of Jon, so its not really meant to be open ended, they literally wrote it that way.

- Cersei, the women who put her children above all else and controlled her own destiny once she realized she could, dies crying in the arms of the man she only truly loved and really did pretty much nothing in season 8. No plans, backup strategies, political maneuvering, alliances, etc just "welp guess Its time to die". Crushed by a rock.

- Was Brienne of Tarth's final scene crying over the man she loved rejecting her and going back to his true love? The only female knight in the 7K who has been a pillar of morality and strength for 7 seasons finishes like season 1 sansa?

This is such a bad take to me and not at all what the show was saying. Dany realized that she was not going to get the love of the houses of Westeros. That the leader of the North would not marry her to put the love he has from people with hers to fill in the gap for what she was not getting from the people of Westeros. People boiling it down to Dany being rejected by a man so she killed thousands of people are really stretching to paint the show in a bad light and ignoring all of the character work they have done.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Slept on it. Dreamt that Dany didn't kill hundreds of civilians for no reason and became the kind, wonderful Queen Westeros needed, ushering in an era of peace. Jon stood by her side as her supportive, platonic husband or whatever. Then I woke up. Still mad. Mostly sad.

There was obviously always some darkness in Dany, like there is in every character on this show. Dany was born in darkness, on the run her whole life with only her abusive brother to keep her company until she finally found a way to break free from being a victim. So it's not surprising that when she began to feel backed into a corner, losing her loved ones, feeling isolated and rejected by the world, she'd feel the urge to do anything to prevent ending up in that dark place again. But the hope was always that she would overcome that darkness rather than succumb to it.

The "mad queen" bus came for her hard in the last 2 episodes, which is pretty much the worst end I could've imagined for my favorite character. And while I know it was a culmination of shit piling up that provoked her rage, I certainly wasn't expecting a FUCKING BELL to be the last thing that pushed her overboard. Dany's always been fierce and unforgiving toward her enemies, but I always believed in her goodness, in her determination to fight for the weak and innocent. I know she had good intentions when she came to Westeros and that becoming her father was the last thing she ever wanted, so it's all just very depressing...

I know some people like to say the show's been shit for a while but I pretty much still loved it until the last 2 episodes blindsided me. Can't imagine any ending that'll satisfy me and not make me look back on the show with bitter resentment now.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of you are being way too rough on this episode.

It had solid ideas, but similar to The Long Night, it just failed to execute them in a smarter, more satisfying way.

1. Dany going mad has been foreshadowed for like 4 fkn seasons. It was largely her advisers that kept her in check this entire time. Even in Essos. Not sure why everyone is saying she was character assassinated. The whole breaker of chains, breaking the wheel, dany will save us all aspect of her character has been gone for a WHILE. The issue with this episode is she went mad with seemingly no logical trigger. Missandei died last episode. She got the surrender of the city. Why did she snap then? Once again, good idea, bad execution.

2. Jamie's character. I agree he needed more conflict with Cersei but it has been abundantly clear he still loves her. That has ALWAYS been a part of his character. I think he should have made it to her sooner or at the very least had some sort of conflict with her. I mean hell, the entire point of him going to KL was to try and convince her to give up/run away. Him dying embraced with her is fine. He just needed much more payoff. I think people are just upset the queenslayer theory didn't come true.

3. Arya makes perfect sense. She has been on a revenge tour since Bravos. The Hound and Aryas arc finally culminates. She learns to stop being obsessed with revenge. She tries to help the innocents. She was used as a prop to show the KL suffering this episode and thats fine. Because it seems the show is setting up a confrontation with her and Dany.

4. Cleganebowl. It was dope. Just needed to be longer imo.

5. Varys dying. Makes perfect sense for Dany's character. Yes, Tyrion failed her but Varys was the one planning actual treason against her.

I think the only dumb parts of this episode was Euron, the crossbows being innefective (But that is honestly largely only because of how stupid they were last episode) and the lack of Bran/Winterfell stuff. One of Bran's visions came true. He spent his life trying to save the people against the long night but is ok with Dany torching tens of thousands of innocents. I'd also like to think Tyrion and Brans off screen conversation is going to lead to something more interesting. Sansa needed some screen time this episode as well.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I think everything that needs to be said about this episode has been said, but I just want to add that the Jamie-Tyrion conversation this episode hit me so damn hard.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Exactly, this was handled so so poorly, there was absolutely no reason for her to turn on the people lol, her anger was squarely with Cersei and Euron and to a lesser extent their armies. That moment ruined this whole episode. Make it believable.
I'm far from a Griffith stan. My point was that at least the people who try to justify his actions have an argument to make. There's no argument that could be made to justify what D&D made Dany do. It didn't make sense in the moment, and it was unsupported by her development over the last seven seasons.

I think the outline for this was there and just not filled in enough at all. But just to try to be nice to the showrunners, they do show Dany making a lot of pretty hardcore tyrannical decisions. (Remember when she was like "hi Sam btw sorry I burned your family to death for not swearing their undying loyalty to me 5 min after I showed up haha good chat). It's hard because I assume in the books we'll get some kind of moment where we get "out" of Dany's POV and see that a lot of her decisions in her POV chapters were far less heroic than we thought, like how she handled Meeren, the slavers, etc. But in the show they've been doing her POV and mixing in bits where we go "why did she burn those people", just maybe not with enough of a critical lens to fully prep for her burning King's Landing.

Then again, D&D love TWISTS so maybe they thought it would be better if it came out of nowhere, who knows

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
One thing just occurred to me - I've been loyally watching this show from day one and yet absolutely none of the character deaths this season so far have had any emotional impact on me whatsoever. Maybe because I've been just expecting them all to die? I dunno, but none of them have been surprising. When Jaime died in the last episode my reaction was basically "hmm." Though that was because I thought the framing of his and Cersei's deaths was pretty lame.

Actually, scratch that, Qyborn's sudden death caught me off guard and was pretty hysterical.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Dany is she has a very narrow definition of slavery, which justifies her actions against the people of Kings Landing. She doesn't believe them to be slaves, but supporters of an undeserving tyrant queen.

The hypocrisy on display is intentional. She's all to happy to be the Queen of the people when it's people who haven't overthrown and murdered her family historically, but when it's Westerosi's she hold all of them accountable.

An the thing is, those perceptions have never wavered. She was ready to burn Kings Landing the second they reached Westeros. It's only her advisers that have prevented it from happening until now.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Eeeeeggh you're probably right. I'd love for the books to be very meaningfully different than the show. Young Griff seems like too important of a character for him to not factor into the ending in some way.

I looove young Griff thanks for reminding me about that character. Man I gotta reread the books, I'm getting whiplash trying to remember all the differences lol

Oct 28, 2017
*Demanded that Jon bend the knee even after she knew he was a genuinely good person and would be a reliable ally (and after falling in love with him!), despite the position that'd put him in in the North.

And then proceeds to put her life and the lives of her children in danger to save Jon north of the Wall and joins him in the fight against the WWs. What did that have to do with claiming the iron throne? She still had a moral compass, it wasn't a shrewd move to form an alliance with him.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really? There are plenty of shows I and many people stop watching because there not enjoyable anymore. Why watch something to complain about it week after week for sometimes years? It's pathetic honestly.

Because there was a very clear endpoint. And because none of us watched the show with the hope that it'd be disappointing. We hoped it'd surprise us with a return to form.

This isn't a Walking Dead situation, where the show very clearly doesn't have any intention of ending and potentially giving fans closure. We'd known for a while that the show was due to end with the eighth season, and we hoped it'd be a good, satisfying ending.

Quit insulting people for being critical of something they like. It's idiotic and it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Best episode of the season imo.

The Dany heel turn definitely didn't get enough time in the oven.. but it is what it is. Have to be blind to not see it coming.

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
woulda been okay with the dany heel turn if they had full seasons in 7 and 8 to make it seem less like she hit a "mass murder/genocide" switch.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
You guys have put way too much stock in Dany becoming the benevolent savior queen.

Dec 22, 2017
I am a completely casual fan of the show, and have skipped entire seasons to get caught up as I only watch with friends. I had zero expectations or investment in the characters, so to me it was a fine episode.

I am enjoying all the discussion and back and forth though. As an overly passionate Star Wars OT "purist" I totally get it, and it's cool to be on the outside looking in. Carry on!

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
It's not even that, because in broad strokes I think it makes some sense.
It's how we got here that's causing a lot of strife.
Oh yeah I agree completely. My post doesn't really make sense, her show arc to get there was what ruined it, not necessarily the moment itself.
I do think it's rushed but in the first 7 seasons Dany
-burns innocent people
-burns innocent people
-burns innocent people

Also I was speaking mostly of the "casual" (tv-only, not theorizing) fandom. The books definitely do a better job complicating Dany to the point where I can see disliking her in the books, but I'm not really sure why you'd dislike her in the show when she gets a lot of real hero edits
Oh I misinterpreted your post as just general fans. As for disliking her in the show, I just feel her storyline felt disconnected too long, and then when she arrived in Westeros I felt the stakes were lacking for what should've been a huge turning point.
Mad Queen Dany is always something I saw happening because there was enough foreshadowing for it to happen. I just don't believe the Daenerys two episodes ago would even think about doing what she did.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed completely. I thought she was gonna do that too. Rushing towards the Red Keep and burning it all down as part of her vengeance against the Lannisters/Baratheons/etc., and civilians dying as collateral damage while Tyrion and Jon go "noooo dammit", would have been OK. I'd have accepted it.

But Dany going out of her way to target civilians was just completely unearned.

Well, then she wouldn't be the mad queen. Problem is they are rushing to an ending. This season should have been all about white walkers and have additional lore/backstory on their motivations, etc. This season should have ended with a more built up end of the NK/WW.

Next season would have been a return to more of a political drama and be a a slow build to power hungry madness so she is a more deserved/logical mad queen. This is supposed to be like the penultimate episode of season 9, not happening on the 5th episode of a 6 episode 8th season. Whole thing is just rushed.

Cersei and Jaime is pure just trash writing. They had the obvious chance at a decent arc with Jaime ending her and a more satisfying end to a decade long villian. Instead they went with that garbage. They didn't need more time to hash that out. They just wrote (or maybe GRRM did) a piss poor character arc and end of Cersei.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I think the outline for this was there and just not filled in enough at all. But just to try to be nice to the showrunners, they do show Dany making a lot of pretty hardcore tyrannical decisions. (Remember when she was like "hi Sam btw sorry I burned your family to death for not swearing their undying loyalty to me 5 min after I showed up haha good chat). It's hard because I assume in the books we'll get some kind of moment where we get "out" of Dany's POV and see that a lot of her decisions in her POV chapters were far less heroic than we thought, like how she handled Meeren, the slavers, etc. But in the show they've been doing her POV and mixing in bits where we go "why did she burn those people", just maybe not with enough of a critical lens to fully prep for her burning King's Landing.

Then again, D&D love TWISTS so maybe they thought it would be better if it came out of nowhere, who knows
But that was an army that faced her on the battlefield, it wasn't foreshadowing for her murdering thousands of people she had no qualms with.

Flying straight for the castle and attempting to kill Cersei, inadvertently killing innocents with the debris? Sure, that's believable. Not this.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
They should've waited till this episode to kill off Rhaegal.

That'd make the scorpions and defense of the city make so much more sense. We wouldn't go from "scorpions are extremely good at killing dragons" to "these are terrible". And having one of her dragons die in that moment would add another reason for Dany to go off on the city.

Sitting atop Drogon tearing up thinking about Jorah and Missandei and then Rhaegal gets pincushioned and falls. Snap happens.

This would have been much more digestible.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest frustration atm is its clear we're going to get a really sad depressing ending and it was always advertised as bitter sweet. I don't see how this ends any way but bitterly. I don't see any positives.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While I personally do think that "Mad Queen" will be in the books in some way, shape, or form (as the whole point of the dragons thematically is that winning using such a destructive force renders victory pyrrhic), everyone pointing to that as a reason for last night's laughable absurdity is ignoring the fact that it still made no sense whatsoever.

Even if we are to draw parallels to Aerys II, it's important to note that he grew steadily paranoid and crazy over many years. His ultimate insanity was a gradual process that was the result of multiple events. Further, his defining act as the Mad King - attempting to burn down King's Landing - was a premeditated scheme meant to deprive Robert Baratheon of the capital if it looked as though he was going to win. His "burn them all" moment wasn't some final psychotic snap - it was him realizing that the rebellion was about to be won, and an order to Lord Rossart to ignite the wildfire caches he had hidden away for that exact purpose many months before, directly following Jon Connington's loss at Stoney Sept.

So, no, Daenerys final breaking point does not make sense even in comparison to the Mad King. With Aerys, we know why he acted the way he did. Here? Well, D&D said that Jon rejecting her was the "trigger," or however they put it. She even agreed to Tyrion's surrender conditions before the battle, and although she has felt great loss this season, has been speaking out against tyrants every chance she gets. And then, after certain victory, decides to massacre innocents needlessly? They made little to no effort to explain why she opted to simply slaughter civilians in the street after complete victory was secured. They just did it for the shock and awe twist. That's all the show has been about for years now.

As a young girl, her family is butchered and she is shipped halfway across the world into hiding.

She grows up with nothing but stories of the throne she was promised, and an abusive, entitled older brother who claims he deserves it more. When that brother dies, she sees an opportunity for the throne to be hers specifically, and to justify all of the suffering she has unfairly endured.

When she gives up for the first time (after losing her husband, and his army) she walks into a funeral pyre and yet emerges with three dragons – a miracle, if ever there was one, and surely a sign that she is meant for great things.

She does her best to lead her people through feast and famine, all in the name of one day claiming what is rightfully hers. She has a string of very mixed results while trying to rule, but we tell ourselves that these are the failures of a great future leader and eventually it will all have been worth it.

Then she does the unthinkable and crosses the narrow sea with three dragons, a Dothraki horde, and an army of fiercely loyal fighters, where a handsome king in the North who is loved by most asks for her help in saving the world. Of course she does the right thing and agrees to help him.

But in doing so she is punished – first by fate, in losing one of her dragons, one of her most loyal subjects, and half of her army, and then later by the Queen who promised to join her in saving the Kingdom. That same Queen repays the favor by killing one of her dragons and beheading one of her few friends. The Queen's subjects - who she was promised were still loyal to her family after all this time - remain indifferent.

Oh and that King she fell in love with? Turns out he has a better claim than she does, everyone loves him more than her even though he doesn't want the throne or her hand in marriage, and even her own closest advisors betray her by spreading word of who they want on the throne. Not her.

And so a woman who has grown up envisioning this day her entire life, finds herself humiliated and alone with exactly one advantage left to press: a dragon. And when her enemies – the same enemies who have picked at her every ounce of mercy she has ever shown, who would have gladly seen her shot out of the sky and dragged through the streets – decide that they would like to conveniently surrender, she looks at the Red Keep and remembers what happened to her father, her family, and her friends, and all that they suffered.

Thus she snaps, and decides to rule through the only advantage she has left: the fear of her dragon, of fire and blood and absolute power, and the stories that will be passed on after this day.

The civilians of this city mean nothing to her at this point, even if they might have had things played out differently. Others created the context of her madness, but she makes the choice.

She is a tragic hero.

Last edited:

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny as hell to me for all the bitching people did about the nonsensical shit that got Rhaegal killed that Dany's grand plan to wipe out Cersei's army is to....attack them in broad daylight and let plot armor do it's job lmao. Suddenly Euron's fleet and Cersei's battery of scorpions ain't shit because Dany is mad? Lol ok.

Makes Rhaegal look like he went out like an even bigger chump if the ballistas are that ineffective now all of a sudden. They really didn't give a fuck and just wanted to get this over with geez.

In other news the preview next week has me intrigued but based on this season I'm guessing it's gonna be real anticlimactic and none of this development is gonna pay off in a meaningful way.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the episode. Last episode is going to be awesome. I hope Arya kills Dany in Greyworm face.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that, because in broad strokes I think it makes some sense.
It's how we got here that's causing a lot of strife.
Agreed, I never liked Dany that much and I definitely think the show was leading to this point. Hell, I think I would have been very disappointed if they gave her a happy glorious white saviour ending. But they botched the execution so badly that it's not even remotely satisfying