• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the writing leaves a lot to be desired on how she got to this point, in part because her acts of brutality before have always had an out or caveat we can use to justify it. She is a hero in Essos but once she sailed for Westeros she couldn't really be called well-meaning anymore. She says she wants to break the wheel and free the people, but IMO that wasn't something we were supposed to take at face value.

Why not? She was obviously rather sincere about freeing the people of Essos and she arguably had less connection to them than she did with the commonfolk of Westeros?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Calling a character stupid is imo the worst, laziest piece of criticism because 9 times out of 10 when people say this character is stupid, they're projecting their own hindsight + third-person omniscience onto a character who would naturally have neither. But having said that, Jon is just that stupid. He's honorable to the point of idiocy. He shouldn't have told Sansa, he shouldn't have told Dany in the first place, he shouldn't have told Cersei he pledged himself to Dany, and so on and so on. Jon is just a bad leader

Jon being such an honorable dope is only a thing in recent seasons. In S4 he tried to murder Mance in his home during a peaceful negotiation.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? She was obviously rather sincere about freeing the people of Essos and she arguably had less connection to them than she did with the commonfolk of Westeros?
Her "connection" to Westeros was an ill-placed level of entitlement. It's probably my reading of the books colouring my view of this, but Essos itself was just brutality we could justify that she'd use as a stepping stone to take Westeros.

Oct 25, 2017
You think I'm talking about just him bringing Dorne and the Reach on board right? Wrong lol. Go back further. No assassination attempt on her, high chance Visarys is still crying in a hut somewhere wondering when Drogo will keep his end of the promise.

Even better...they are the Dothraki. Turns out we didn't see them all die. They just dropped their flaming weapons and booked it to the hills.
Ah yeah, you're right. Varys had it out for them back then.

Her "connection" to Westeros was an ill-placed level of entitlement.
Muh birthright

Oct 27, 2017
I truly truly hate that there are so many Unsullied still left. The framing of the battle against the NK and the aftermath and consequences of it going forward is a travesty of writing.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even better...they are the Dothraki. Turns out we didn't see them all die. They just dropped their flaming weapons and booked it to the hills.
Since they all seem to be on horse back they're probably dorthraki.
Lmao that manny Dothraki lived?!? Unbuhfuckinglievable!!!
Mirri Maz Duur, fortune teller or something from earlier seasons.
Oh her.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
She wouldn't have brought thousands of her people to possibly die on a foreign shore. Once she had set up her capital city in Essos she was set for life, but she wanted even more than that. She has spent most of her life in Essos, she knows it better than Westeros by a long mile.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame they killed off Ser Barristan so soon. Would have been the perfect character to view this story through.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
All of this wouldn't have happened, if the didn't "kill off" the young griff. The last Season would have made a lot more sense. But no, they decided to focus all on Cersei.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Just wait for that scene I think it was in season 5 where there's a close up of some random dude's balls for no goddamn reason.
Haha, vaguely remember that now that you mentioned it. Tried to google it too, but all I found was story by Harrington almost losing his balls during filming. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kit-harington-balls-testicle_n_5cb7495fe4b0c53a1705b7e2?guccounter=1

Also found this interesting in the same article, as Harrington is part of that youtube video that keeps being reposted about the actors hating the final season like it was Brie Larson. The article is from last april, after the premiere and mixed reactions.

Harington took a ballsy stand against anyone who had a problem with the show's latest episode during an interview with Esquire published Monday.

"I think no matter what anyone thinks about this season — and I don't mean to sound mean about critics here — but whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their [negative] judgment on it, in my head they can go fuck themselves," he said, sounding testy.

The actor added that he "doesn't give a fuck" about what people think about the show's last few episodes because "I know how much work was put into this."

Edit: His reaction to the first episode script

And the actor admitted that he, too, was critical when he first saw the script for the pilot episode back in 2009.

"I remember thinking, What is this crock of shit? I don't understand this. I'm going to have to read this again," Harington recalled. "And I read it again. And I'm like, I still don't get this shit at all. I think it's kind of weird, but it's HBO and alright, let's do it. I would love to get this. And I think that's what people feel when they start watching it. Or when they hear about it. Like, "No. Fantasy—weird."

He added: "But you watch it, you invest in it, and you go, "Okay, I'll buy into this world. Fine. I'm in."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, vaguely remember that now that you mentioned it. Tried to google it too, but all I found was story by Harrington almost losing his balls during filming. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kit-harington-balls-testicle_n_5cb7495fe4b0c53a1705b7e2?guccounter=1

Also found this interesting in the same article, as Harrington is part of that youtube video that keeps being reposted about the actors hating the final season like it was Brie Larson. The article is from last april.

Harington took a ballsy stand against anyone who had a problem with the show's latest episode during an interview with Esquire published Monday.

"I think no matter what anyone thinks about this season — and I don't mean to sound mean about critics here — but whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their [negative] judgment on it, in my head they can go fuck themselves," he said, sounding testy.

The actor added that he "doesn't give a fuck" about what people think about the show's last few episodes because "I know how much work was put into this."
I don't blame him really, the amount of work and effort the cast and crew put into this is mind blowing, so I get where he's coming from.
Don't necessarily agree with it though. But it does throw a wrench at those thinking Kit hates this season lol.

Jan 31, 2018
phCeRLj.jpg

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She wouldn't have brought thousands of her people to possibly die on a foreign shore. Once she had set up her capital city in Essos she was set for life, but she wanted even more than that. She has spent most of her life in Essos, she knows it better than Westeros by a long mile.

She grew up in the Free Cities, which were very different to those places she later went to liberate.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Big dick calculated move by Dany would be to have Grey Worm kill Jon in the middle of the chaos of the battle and blame the Lannisters for it.

Superimposing my own interpretation of the story here, but IMO she is so mentally isolated at this point that I think shes willing to put up with Jon despite his wishy washiness because she at least believes he is honorable to a fault – and maybe because he is also the only other Targaryen.

Jon is her last vulnerability, and tragically probably her fatal weakness.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Also found this interesting in the same article, as Harrington is part of that youtube video that keeps being reposted about the actors hating the final season like it was Brie Larson. The article is from last april, after the premiere and mixed reactions.

Edit: His reaction to the first episode script

And the actor admitted that he, too, was critical when he first saw the script for the pilot episode back in 2009.

"I remember thinking, What is this crock of shit? I don't understand this. I'm going to have to read this again," Harington recalled. "And I read it again. And I'm like, I still don't get this shit at all. I think it's kind of weird, but it's HBO and alright, let's do it. I would love to get this. And I think that's what people feel when they start watching it. Or when they hear about it. Like, "No. Fantasy—weird."

He added: "But you watch it, you invest in it, and you go, "Okay, I'll buy into this world. Fine. I'm in."
I don't blame him really, the amount of work and effort the cast and crew put into this is mind blowing, so I get where he's coming from.
Don't necessarily agree with it though. But it does throw a wrench at those thinking Kit hates this season lol.

Kit does mention in the behind the scenes that he was pissed at first when he found out Maisie killed the NK

Meaning he was pissed at the table read since that was the first time he saw what the scripts had. Must've been awkward.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Kit does mention in the behind the scenes that he was pissed at first when he found out Maisie killed the NK

Meaning he was pissed at the table read since that was the first time he saw what the scripts had. Must've been awkward.
Haha, I looked that clip up. I'd want to be the one killing Night King too if I was in the show, but I don't have the acting talent or looks for being at it. Emilia Clarke seemed like she was surprised too, also thought it could have been her or Jon. But also said that everyone was whooping and cheering at Maisie at the read. It's indeed bit awkard if Harington made a scene about it, considering how much pressure Williams already felt being a small girl killing the big baddie instead than the heroic man many people expect. Even her boyfriend said it should had been Jon instead (I find that bit dickish from the boyfriend). Though Harington seemed to come around to it "eventually Although Harington, like Williams, also thought his character would be the one to kill the Night King, he actually liked the twist as well. "It gives Arya's training a purpose to have an end goal," Harington told E.W. "It's much better how she does it the way she does it. . . . There's also something about it not being the person you expect. The young lady sticks it to the man."

Also chuckled at this from Williams "So then I was like, Fuck you Jon, I get it!"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

That's not really an issue, an actor is required to do their job, just because they have views on the character doesn't mean the screenwriter or director should listen to them. In this case, he's absolutely right as he's literally back by the source material. But, they aren't monsters for not listening to him. Mark Hamill had some stupid ass ideas for Luke in ROTJ and Lucas listened and nodded but then went, "nah, we're no doing that."

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I really think people are reading too much into these behind the scenes/interview anecdotes. Some of it is just goofy stuff actors say about their roles, especially when they're not allowed to talk about them.

One interesting thing though is in that interview with Nik posted a few posts up, he says he had these issues with things not making sense since season 4. <thinking emoji>

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
All of this wouldn't have happened, if the didn't "kill off" the young griff. The last Season would have made a lot more sense. But no, they decided to focus all on Cersei.

Eh, her torching King's Landing after they surrender wouldn't be better if fAegon was on the throne. It would make Varys not as idiotic but in the end the real problem her cartoonish turn due to the compressed timeline of episodes. The only way to save it is to have a different timeline of events that doesn't result in her "snapping" in the penultimate episode and the removal of any kind of nuance over whether or not Dany needs to be taken out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's not really an issue, an actor is required to do their job, just because they have views on the character doesn't mean the screenwriter or director should listen to them. In this case, he's absolutely right as he's literally back by the source material. But, they aren't monsters for not listening to him. Mark Hamill had some stupid ass ideas for Luke in ROTJ and Lucas listened and nodded but then went, "nah, we're no doing that."

Right. Actors clashing or having differences of opinion with their writers/directors happens all the fucking time.

Lmao, absolutely how I feel about how they treated Jamie's character. I wouldn't even be mad about how Jamie died, but they needed another arch of Jamie coming to terms with his inability to live a life without Cersai instead of him just suddenly leaving Brienne in the middle of the night.
That only works if they take a season that expands the gap in between defeating the Night King and Dany/Jon marching on King's Landing. The reason he leaves Brienne in the middle of the night is because if he waits any longer Cersei will be dead by the time he gets there anyway.

I really think people are reading too much into these behind the scenes/interview anecdotes. Some of it is just goofy stuff actors say about their roles, especially when they're not allowed to talk about them.

One interesting thing though is in that interview with Nik posted a few posts up, he says he had these issues with things not making sense since season 4. <thinking emoji>
I forget where, but I was reading an article somewhere yesterday that was framing some quotes from how Conleth Hill hated the last few seasons, hated that Varys was killed, etc. And then I go read the original interview and he says repeatedly he likes where it all ends up and how Varys goes out, but still felt personally bad about being killed off and wished Varys had been a bigger role in the last couple seasons though understands that he's not one of the main characters. Too many people are trying to make mountains out of molehills with their "see! the actors hate it too!!" takes just to validate their own feelings about S8, 7, etc.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah people really do have rather exaggerated reactions to these things. It's hardly throwing shade or anything to pitch your own ideas and vision to directors, writers or showrunners. Kinski and Herzog regularly had fist fights and literally threatened to kill each other, that's alarming. What Coster-Waldau is describing there is rather ordinary. And I'm interested to hear about it, but people take it to ridiculousness.