• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Holy fuck! King's Landing is actually completely gone. It's literally just ruins now.

It didn't seem like that much damage was done last episode but I guess the fire spread tremendously.

Daenerys gonna rule from Dragonstone then or as Queen of the Ashes?

The Unsullied just keep multiplying!

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey... What are the odds that Dany does indeed 'break the wheel', get taken out, and then the 7 kingdoms are left to rule themselves independently?

What if no one sits on the throne?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Calling a character stupid is imo the worst, laziest piece of criticism because 9 times out of 10 when people say this character is stupid, they're projecting their own hindsight + third-person omniscience onto a character who would naturally have neither. But having said that, Jon is just that stupid. He's honorable to the point of idiocy. He shouldn't have told Sansa, he shouldn't have told Dany in the first place, he shouldn't have told Cersei he pledged himself to Dany, and so on and so on. Jon is just a bad leader.
What amplifies his stupidity is that he knows what happened to Ned due to being honourable to a fault yet he doubles down on it rather than learning that it's easier to change things when your head is still on your shoulders.

He has Ned's "muh 'onour" issues cranked to 11 mixed with Stannis' "muh dootee" stat maxed out as well. It's insane that he hasn't died a second time at this point.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
What amplifies his stupidity is that he knows what happened to Ned due to being honourable to a fault yet he doubles down on it rather than learning that it's easier to change things when your head is still on your shoulders.

He has Ned's "muh 'onour" issues cranked to 11 mixed with Stannis' "muh dootee" stat maxed out as well. It's insane that he hasn't died a second time at this point.
I feel like he probably only lived because he was staying in the north.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about Tyrion is that while his plans for Casterly Rock or anything to do with Cersei were failures, he was useful in getting Dany to trust Jon. Especially when Jon's first reaction to Dany was to basically defy her.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
That only works if they take a season that expands the gap in between defeating the Night King and Dany/Jon marching on King's Landing. The reason he leaves Brienne in the middle of the night is because if he waits any longer Cersei will be dead by the time he gets there anyway.

Absolutely, but the chain of events are so sudden that I didn't find it believable that Jamie would do it in that manner, if anything the Brienne stuff should have happened sooner and show Jamie being conflicted about where his life was taking him and his inability to escape his true nature.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hey... What are the odds that Dany does indeed 'break the wheel', get taken out, and then the 7 kingdoms are left to rule themselves independently?

This was my prediction at the beginning of the year, although I had Dany destroying the throne and letting the seven kingdoms to rule themselves. Think it's safe to say that won't be happening now lol, but I could see Jon now fulfilling that role instead.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Right. Actors clashing or having differences of opinion with their writers/directors happens all the fucking time.

That only works if they take a season that expands the gap in between defeating the Night King and Dany/Jon marching on King's Landing. The reason he leaves Brienne in the middle of the night is because if he waits any longer Cersei will be dead by the time he gets there anyway.

I forget where, but I was reading an article somewhere yesterday that was framing some quotes from how Conleth Hill hated the last few seasons, hated that Varys was killed, etc. And then I go read the original interview and he says repeatedly he likes where it all ends up and how Varys goes out, but still felt personally bad about being killed off and wished Varys had been a bigger role in the last couple seasons though understands that he's not one of the main characters. Too many people are trying to make mountains out of molehills with their "see! the actors hate it too!!" takes just to validate their own feelings about S8, 7, etc.
It's rather funny how that short clip with Coster-Waldau in the tweet leaves out the last few words of his answer to the question for no apparent reason. Where he is concluding with "I don't how to do this! How do you do it? And they go yeah we hear you, just try it........and then it turns out okay". Hard to understand cutting someone off mid sentence.

To be fair about the Conleth Hill interview, while he doesn't definitely say he hates the show, the final season or his own ending (that he liked). He does mention that his character seemed to lose all his intelligence in the end and just appeared for weather reports because he seemed to know nothing anymore. It seemed to be something that disappointed him that his character didn't have much importance and meaning anymore as you also said. Hill also admits that it's rather personal and selfish thing and the nature of multi-character show. He would have also wanted a final scene with Littlefinger and to be there when he died, because he was his nemesis. But I don't know how that could be taken as throwing shade either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Speculation:

That's my guess after the last episode. The Seven Kingdoms began after a Targaryen atrocity and show of force, and basically will end after one. Dany wanted to Break the Wheel, and that's it. Somebody here mentioned that the Targaryen dynasty was an improvement for the best, but the last 50 years (out of about 300) have been generally bad leadership. She's a foreign invader, and has only a single dragon to try to rule the entire continent.

I think Sansa being so thoroughly competent and deserving to be queen has pushed me over the edge on it. She has absolutely no claim to the Seven Kingdoms, but she'd be a great queen. So why not Queen in the North?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she had a shitload of dothraki and Unsuillied posted on the other side of Winterfell during the battle that never got any camera time...

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she had a shitload of dothraki and Unsuillied posted on the other side of Winterfell during the battle that never got any camera time...
If the show was smart enough to say that some of them were holding places like Dragonstone, Highgarden, and Casterly Rock during the battle of Winterfell, and they've since met up, it would feel like less of an ass pull when more and more of them seem to show up each episode.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
It's fitting D&D are going to do Star Wars. The heel turn that Dany goes through in this episode was about as convincing as Anakin's in ROTS.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017

That isn't 'breaking the wheel'. That's neatly dismantling it until a kingdom becomes strong enough to subdue the others and restablish The Iron Throne.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's rather funny how that short clip with Coster-Waldau in the tweet leaves out the last few words of his answer to the question for no apparent reason. Where he is concluding with "I don't how to do this! How do you do it? And they go yeah we hear you, just try it........and then it turns out okay". Hard to understand cutting someone off mid sentence.

To be fair about the Conleth Hill interview, while he doesn't definitely say he hates the show, the final season or his own ending (that he liked). He does mention that his character seemed to lose all his intelligence in the end and just appeared for weather reports because he seemed to know nothing anymore. It seemed to be something that disappointed him that his character didn't have much importance and meaning anymore as you also said. Hill also admits that it's rather personal and selfish thing and the nature of multi-character show. He would have also wanted a final scene with Littlefinger and to be there when he died, because he was his nemesis. But I don't know how that could be taken as throwing shade either.

Right. I mean I think those points are all fair, even if some are a bit of a reach (another Littlefinger/Varys scene would've been cool but I'm not sure where or how that happens, unless you delay Littlefinger's death until after Dany arrives?), but not exactly the "the GoT cast is turning on the showrunners" narrative that some are trying to push. There was another one with Lena Heady, where she mentioned having mixed feelings the first time she read the script for The Bells because she had wanted Cersei to go down in some big action scene, and that was framed as not her not liking the story. But, like Hill and Coster-Waldau and Harrington, she said she came to like the final result. In any event, whatever people were disappointed with about Cersei's death, I'm not sure it's improved on at all by having her go down fighting haha.

It's fitting D&D are going to do Star Wars. The heel turn that Dany goes through in this episode was about as convincing as Anakin's in ROTS.
having rewatched that movie recently for the first time in ages, Anakin's turn was way worse and more sudden than I remember it being. I actually think that movie is alright overall, all things considered, but that scene in particular was just an enormous jump in character development, it was like he flicked a switch.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
xsSeSaz_d.jpg

I was on board the moment Jaime pushed Bran out of the window. That's when I realised that this was going to be special and different show.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Holy fuck! King's Landing is actually completely gone. It's literally just ruins now.

It didn't seem like that much damage was done last episode but I guess the fire spread tremendously.

So, so Dothraki and Unsullied breed via Meiosis or something?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

Dany was going for literally half the episode and when Arya woke up there was nothing but ashes and destroyed buildings....

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
How does Dany get Drogon to attack stuff that isn't specifically a threat? I suppose Drogon can tell enemies firing at them easily, but for like the city was she just going,

"Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys!"

For 30 minutes straight?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
How does Dany get Drogon to attack stuff that isn't specifically a threat? I suppose Drogon can tell enemies firing at them easily, but for like the city was she just going,

"Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys! Dracarys!"

For 30 minutes straight?
Dragon riding is similar to warging.

Dracarys is the cool one liner for the audience's benefit

Nemesis-T Type

Alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
100%

He seemed kinda pissed he was sidelined the last few seasons.
courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

New promo image.

I really thought the white walkers reduced her army to way less then that

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

For 30 minutes straight?

Dragons share a semi-psychic bond with their riders. As Tyrion said they know who their rider's enemies and friends are.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? So she's in a trance while riding, or do you mean her and Drogon are somehow connected so if she looks at something to strike Drogon also senses it and hits the target?
Like they're connected telepathically and they know what the rider wants to do. Which makes more sense than her shouting commands and twisting some back spikes to command him to do complex flight maneuvers.

Jon even said as much in that scene from episode 1 of this season. "It's like he knew where I wanted to go" or something.