• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, this is a interesting one that I think I will tackle. People kept pestering me about Stannis, but they are so different between Book and Show that it'd be near pointless. But, I did end up writing those Stannis Treatsie posts a few weeks back. Still, there's too much fi a disparity between Show Stannis and Book Stannis to even merit such a write up. However, Jon Snow would be a good thread especially since the show currently wants to portray him as some honorable idiot to a fault when Book Jon Snow is far more nuance and not so concerned with honor.

EDIT:

Whoops, double post.
So in that case were Ned and Robb the only Starks who were honor bound?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that Jaime line "I never really cared for them" line even made it past the cutting room floor. It's weird no one contested that. He literally left Cersei 6 episodes ago to defend innocent people for the sake of humanity

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know, going back and watching the third episode of the series, it's kinda funny. Even Joffrey had some good ideas now and again (Giving Westeros a standing army). Like, even the most batshit character in the entire series had a good idea. Now Tyrion is dumber than Joffrey.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I have another bone to pick with this last episode. This goes into the previous season, and episode 3 of this season

Can we all agree that zombie Viserion breathes fire? If not, tell me what you think he breathes.

If we agree that zViserion breathes blue fire, blue fire is way hotter, and way more intense than standard yellow fire. The wall has magic woven into it, so perhaps the combination of a dead dragon being a magical creature as well as blue fire being so intensely hot, was enough to breach a hole in the wall. So that's last season.

This season, in episode 5, we see Drogon blast stone buildings of King's Landing down to the ground while he's also burning the people. So dragonfire as destructive capabilities. Then in episode 3, there was a scene where Jon was trying to outrun a zombie horde. He closes a gate inside the castle walls, bounding them temporarily, but eventually they break it down and chase him again. As Jon is running, he then encounters zViserion who he then deals with the rest of the episode. Except, what happened to the zombie horde that was following him?

As a viewer, I just deduced that zViserion blasted them to smithereens himself with the blue fire. Blue fire would deal more damage to the zombie army than yellow fire again. But if this isn't how the zombie horde disappeared then it doesn't make sense. Jon should be cornered between the zombies and the zombie dragon.

Now, onto my main point. Jon isn't able to escape zViserion and he's hiding behind Winterfell stone. Except, we see how Drogon's standard yellow fire blasts stone apart in King's Landing, and knowing blue fire is so much hotter and more intense than yellow fire, then how did it not explode and crush Jon behind his back when he was using the stone as cover?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

KHw4sjr.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So in that case were Ned and Robb the only Starks who were honor bound?

Well, Ned Stark is more nuanced than that, especially since we know he lied most of his life about Jon Snow. People seem to think Ned Stark was some idiot, easily killed because of his stubbornness. But, it took a whole season for the varying factions in King's Landing to take him down. His "honor" or kindness killed him, but he was never so honorable that he'd walk his whole family into sword point. Robb's "honorable" act was marrying Jeyne Westerling in the books. But, unlike the show he didn't marry her out of some blind love, but because he didn't want to father a bastard. The tragedy is that Catelyn is partially responsible for Robb's eventual downfall because Robb grew up seeing how Catelyn treated Jon and didn't want his child treated the same, thus he marries Jeyne.

Book Jon cares about honor, but he has a responsibility as Lord Commander to protect the realm and his men. And thus, he has to make some hard choices. Choices that run up against the concept of honor. He's not some bastion of truth incapable of telling a lie. He'll lie when he has to, beg if he needs to, barter/compromise when he can, and threaten where it's required. Remember even in the show, Jon Snow was once a dude that entered Mance Rayder's tent on a false notion of peace in order to assassinate him. The show then abandons this concept to preserve lily white, goody Jon Snow. The books are all about exploring this aspect of his character and the notion of what is right.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that Jaime line "I never really cared for them" line even made it past the cutting room floor. It's weird no one contested that. He literally left Cersei 6 episodes ago to defend innocent people for the sake of humanity

Not that it completely exonerates D&D... But I kinda thought he was kidding when I was watching it the first time.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao
Well, Ned Stark is more nuanced than that, especially since we know he lied most of his life about Jon Snow. People seem to think Ned Stark was some idiot, easily killed because of his stubbornness. But, it took a whole season for the varying factions in King's Landing to take him down. His "honor" or kindness killed him, but he was never so honorable that he'd walk his whole family into sword point. Robb's "honorable" act was marrying Jeyne Westerling in the books. But, unlike the show he didn't marry her out of some blind love, but because he didn't want to father a bastard. The tragedy is that Catelyn is partially responsible for Robb's eventual downfall because Robb grew up seeing how Catelyn treated Jon and didn't want his child treated the same, thus he marries Jeyne.

Book Jon cares about honor, but he has a responsibility as Lord Commander to protect the realm and his men. And thus, he has to make some hard choices. Choices that run up against the concept of honor. He's not some bastion of truth incapable of telling a lie. He'll lie when he has to, beg if he needs to, barter/compromise when he can, and threaten where it's required. Remember even in the show, Jon Snow was once a dude that entered Mance Rayder's tent on a false notion of peace in order to assassinate him. The show then abandons this concept to preserve lily white, goody Jon Snow. The books are all about exploring this aspect of his character and the notion of what is right.
So you think he shouldn't have told Sansa and Arya the truth about himself?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Jon keeps screwing his aunt and they live happily ever after with her as the rightful queen.

...yeah, that's a shit, terrible ending and I'm glad Jon told his family.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow you guys are so pissed you're even going after that piddling amount of troops in the promo. there are like less than 200 dothraki, less than 500 unsullied. if she had 20k or 30k to start with she'd be down more than 99%. lol

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Why is Daenerys ruling bad?
It completely undermines the messaging about monarchy and power seekers, which is arguably something that has always been consistent throughout the seasons. A happy fairytale ending where a just monarch rules the 7 kingdoms with her lover is fan fiction made manifest.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
It completely undermines the messaging about monarchy and power seekers, which is arguably something that has always been consistent throughout the seasons. A happy fairytale ending where a just monarch rules the 7 kingdoms with her lover is fan fiction made manifest.
i don't think it should be 100% happy, there should be peace at the end with a cost

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love when a 73 episode series changes main antagonist three times in the final three episodes

Just like Naruto!

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tough to say, Book Jon has no qualms lying. But, I suspect Book Jon's resurrection will cause a deeper change in his character. He's not going to shrug it off like the show.
I keep hearing people say though that Jon's mind didn't really die since he just warged into ghost. So I don't know if he's going to exhibit a big change, then again I'm not a book reader so what do I know.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Tough to say, Book Jon has no qualms lying. But, I suspect Book Jon's resurrection will cause a deeper change in his character. He's not going to shrug it off like the show.
I always felt like the fact that he got resurrected was shrugged off super quick in the show, he just picked up where he left off. Granted the show never made it a point to make a big deal out of it like Dondarion who despite saying he comes back weaker every time, never shows it. He even got infinite pine resin out of the whole thing which seemed like a pretty swell deal.

Him being dead in the books but alive in the show probably explains why he just kinda hangs around and never seemed to do anything, he is a D&D creation through and through.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the betting odds of Jon being on the Iron Throne must have multiplied since last week. Right?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The Seven Kingdoms are fuuuuuucked no matter who rules. If it's Dany then, oh boy. Inc lots of people burning. If it's Jon then he won't be able to rule anyone, he'll get betrayed every 2 seconds. Dude has too much Ned in him.

Might as well just go back to there actually being Seven Kingdoms and not more Iron Throne.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Well considering she is capable of genocide when things don't go her way I think that is a pretty bad look for a potential monarch.
i'm in agreement with the super long OP of that other thread where her capability and committing genocide was just to make the audience hate her. she was never like that before

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/ente...game-of-thrones-mental-health-trnd/index.html
It gets to a point where you're almost craving something negative, so you can just sit in a hole of sadness
I still lie in bed at, like, 11 o'clock at night telling myself all the things I hate about myself

Wow did not know Sophie and Maisie suffered through depression in the making of GoT. I know the Joffrey actor quit acting.

Honestly, I want a normal life. I don't want any of this crazy, crazy world because it's not worth it.

source: http://www.officialfearnecotton.com/news/2018/2/26/happy-place-podcast

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So the betting odds of Jon being on the Iron Throne must have multiplied since last week. Right?
are you tryna say that jon becoming king has become a more likely or less likely possibility? the higher the odds for X, the LESS likely X is to happen

(high odds mean you'd get a lot of money back on a successful bet, because you're betting on an outcome that was deemed as unlikely)

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
i'm in agreement with the super long OP of that other thread where her capability and committing genocide was just to make the audience hate her. she was never like that before
She was always like that before. She always had within her the ability to do bad things. There were hints and foreshadowing going as far back as Season 2 as to who she was and where she was headed. Her recent hardships, family heritage, and lack of any advisers to check her worst impulses finally led to her going over the edge completely.

The main problem is that D&D wrote themselves into a hole and forced themselves to rush everything which led to them butchering the execution of the Mad Queen plotline.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
She was always like that before. She always had within her the ability to do bad things. There were hints and foreshadowing going as far back as Season 2 as to who she was and where she was headed. Her recent hardships, family heritage, and lack of any advisers to check her worst impulses finally led to her going over the edge completely.

The main problem is that D&D wrote themselves into a hole and forced themselves to rush everything which led to them butchering the execution of the Mad Queen plotline.
this thread has talked to death about hints and foreshadowing of Dany going mad and while she had a temper she never hurt someone innocent and on the contrary always showed remorse for them and fought for them and injustice against them is what motivated her

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
this thread has talked to death about hints and foreshadowing of Dany going mad and while she had a temper she never hurt someone innocent and on the contrary always showed remorse for them and fought for them and injustice against them is what motivated her
That was on Essos. She had no reason to invade Westeros.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This was posted a few pages back and covers your concerns better than I could.

q798s4907yx21.jpg

Dany always had the ability to do evil things, but since she was only hurting those who "deserved it" in the eyes of the readers/viewers we were willing to look past it and not see it for what it was.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I never fully got on the hype train with this show, and so didn't have huge expectations for the finale to begin with, but I've still found the finale fairly enjoyable and nothing that's happened has been particularly shocking really in terms of "twists"

I'm not seeing the hate for this episode or season really :/