• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 18, 2017
"That I've come to destroy your cities, burn down your homes, murder you and orphan your children. That's Cersei Lannister, not me."

She wasn't lying. She was going to murder their children too.

Yeah because the latest episode took place immediately after that speech. No events took place inbetween, and Dany wasn't already an asshole at that point.

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah something took place in between. She won the war. Then she "made it personal."

She suffered heavy personal losses and was betrayed by her closest advisors.

I get some blowback because the quality has dipped, and I actually agree there could be a case that an official HBO re-edit with small reshoots could improve things.

But that won't happen and the reaction online is so OTT. I assume most of it comes from Star Wars fans or something.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
yihj8a25bdy21.jpg

giphy.gif

8j36a0v3vdy21.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
She suffered heavy personal losses and was betrayed by her closest advisors.

I get some blowback because the quality has dipped, and I actually agree there could be a case that an official HBO re-edit with small reshoots could improve things.

But that won't happen and the reaction online is so OTT. I assume most of it comes from Star Wars fans or something with a grudge against D&D. Or weird Dany fans.
"Blowback because the quality has dipped" is what the show has received for the past 3 seasons. The last episode is the worst reviewed in the history of the show.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
This video makes me a bit sad. Damn. What could have been if only Jaime's ending had been more satisfying. But it's still a pretty cool video and very well done.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Dany-as-white-American-imperialism" is probably the dumbest take on this whole situation and I will forever blame the showrunners for injecting this unnecessary racial element to her story.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

This older interview, tho.

I wonder if how candid that documentary is going to be. Though with it being produced by HBO, I doubt it will be very critical.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Daenerys, in S02E04:

When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me. We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground.

Video source
Relevant:

Foreshadowing Is Not Character Development

Season 8's writing sets Daenerys up to lose.

- She chooses to delay her ambitions for the Iron Throne to help defend Westeros from the White Walkers. Her reward is the loss of a dragon and a reduced army.

- She surrounds herself with good advisors to temper her Targaryen impulses, including two of the smartest people in the land, Varys and Tyrion. When it suits the writers, their judgment suddenly leads Dany to disaster.

- Poorly written situations are contrived to drive Dany to the edge. She "forgets" about the Iron Fleet and is somehow unable to spot it from the air, resulting in the loss of a dragon and later her best friend, Missandei.

The writers placed Daenerys in an unwinnable situation. She makes prudent and noble choices and is punished for them, which is not consistent with previous seasons. Her madness was foreshadowed, but the choices she makes to get there are not justified by the writing, especially in Season 8.

Last edited:

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
What wasn't satisfying about it? Dude died with his one true love. He wasn't Jamie of old times anymore.

He was exactly "Jaime of old times". That's the problem. His character kinda went nowhere and ended up in the same spot it started. He had a pointless fight with Euron. Claimed he didn't care about innocent people and died hugging it out with Cersei. I'm not super upset about it but c'mon let's not pretend his story had some kinda wonderful conclusion.

Oct 25, 2017
This video makes me a bit sad. Damn. What could have been if only Jaime's ending had been more satisfying. But it's still a pretty cool video and very well done.

Such a well made video. I love these.

"Dany-as-white-American-imperialism" is probably the dumbest take on this whole situation and I will forever blame the showrunners for injecting this unnecessary racial element to her story.
Lol at this being the "dumbest take". I've seen worse.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
He had legitimately become my favourite character heading into S8

I feel nothing now. I barely reacted to his death because I was so disappointed they just had him run back to Cersei and say shit like he doesn't care about innocents
If it's any comfort, he completely wasted Brienne's time, and the audiences time too, by backpedaling on a seven season long redemption arc.

Oh wait, that's not comforting at all.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
If it's any comfort, he completely wasted Brienne's time, and the audiences time too, by backpedaling on a seven season long redemption arc.

Oh wait, that's not comforting at all.

Brienne had become one of my favourites too so yeah it doubly sucks.

They have one episode to give her a good ending other than being a blubbering mess. My fear is she gets very little or no screen time

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly just put Davos on the throne, one of the few characters remaining with a working class background

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Brienne had become one of my favourites too so yeah it doubly sucks.

They have one episode to give her a good ending other than being a blubbering mess. My fear is she gets very little or no screen time
Brienne deserves a well written and fitting ending just as much as Jaime. Sadly that's only possible for one of them now, and I'm not so confident about it. The finale has a huge mess to clean up, and who knows if the writers will even remember which characters had some of the strongest material in prior seasons.

Honestly just put Davos on the throne, one of the few characters remaining with a working class background
A reluctant ruler who understands and sympathizes with the people would be the best thing for Westeros. But this is Game of Thrones, so that probably won't happen.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I feel like you missed Jamie's arc of S2-S7.
The notion of a "I used to be bad, and now I'm good!" arc for Jamie is so boring, and so not ASOIAF. It's far more interesting, and far more realistic to have a character like Jamie really try to do his best, but having true redemption being just out of his grasp, and having him succumb to his demons anyway. Frankly, I hope the story resolves in a similar way in the books, because it was one of the more poignant endings of a character in the series for me so far.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The notion of a "I used to be bad, and now I'm good!" arc for Jamie is so boring, and so not ASOIAF. It's far more interesting, and far more realistic to have a character like Jamie really try to do his best, but having true redemption being just out of his grasp, and having him succumb to his demons anyway. Frankly, I hope the story resolves in a similar way in the books, because it was one of the more poignant endings of a character in the series for me so far.
He didn't succumb to his demons though, did he? In the sense that "succumbing" implies some sort of observable process. He simply dropped everything and ran back to Cersei, with a throwaway line about being a hateful person. That's not good or satisfying storytelling, it's a twist that ignores the fundamentals of character writing by making his choice sudden and inexplicable if you follow the show episode-to-episode and watch how Jaime changes.

The writers had an end point for Jaime, and rather than take him there, they picked him up and dropped him there.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
He didn't succumb to his demons though, did he? In the sense that "succumbing" implies some sort of observable process. He simply dropped everything and ran back to Cersei, with a throwaway line about being a hateful person. That's not good or satisfying storytelling, it's a twist that ignores the fundamentals of character writing by making his choice sudden and inexplicable if you follow the show episode-to-episode and watch how Jaime changes.
That's a problem with the execution. Where he ends up is where I want that character to end up, but it definitely needs to be justified way better, just like literally every plot thread in these past couple of seasons of GoT.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That's a problem with the execution. Where he ends up is where I want that character to end up, but it definitely needs to be justified way better, just like literally every plot thread in these past couple of seasons of GoT.
Yes, that's the main problem as I see it. Most of the issues with this season aren't what happens, but how it happens. So much is rushed, so many essential steps left out.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you missed Jamie's arc of S2-S7.
Not really

So many people wanting different outcomes that even if the petition would ever succeed (it will never ever of course) it still would be impossible to please the fans of each and every character.

He was exactly "Jaime of old times". That's the problem. His character kinda went nowhere and ended up in the same spot it started. He had a pointless fight with Euron. Claimed he didn't care about innocent people and died hugging it out with Cersei. I'm not super upset about it but c'mon let's not pretend his story had some kinda wonderful conclusion.
The fight with Euron was dumb as fuck but the rest was obvious. Cercei is is one true love. The mother of his children and even one on the way. People should be happy for him.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Jaime in the end was like a relapsing alcoholic. I know a lot of people hated that, because it basically nullifies seasons of development, but.... I do think it fits somewhat. Again, it could've been done better if his heel turn wasn't in the same episode he has sex with Brienne; just another symptom of things being rushed.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's the same issue I have with Dany's turn: Jaime went up to Winterfell to potentially die for the survival of the human race. Dany did as well. To change from that to run back to Cersei's side, ESPECIALLY after what Jaime did with Brienne is so unsatisfying.

Being poignant doesn't make it good and frankly doesn't resolve his arc in any sort of way. If the writers' point is that life isn't like that, that's fine, but it is incredibly unsatisfying.

Jaime in the end was like a relapsing alcoholic. I know a lot of people hated that, because it basically nullifies seasons of development, but.... I do think it fits somewhat. Again, it could've been done better if his heel turn wasn't in the same episode he has sex with Brienne; just another symptom of things being rushed.

Agreed. If you had one or two more episodes where you see a gradual discontent growing in Jaime with his life in Winterfell, I think it'd be far more well done. It's just such a swing.

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I wanted to see Jaime and Cersei slip out of King's Landing unnoticed and live out the rest of their days in peaceful anonymity while the rest of the world burns and fights over scraps. That would have been a subversive ending befitting GoT.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Personally, I wanted to see Jaime and Cersei slip out of King's Landing unnoticed and live out the rest of their days in peaceful anonymity while the rest of the world burns and fights over scraps. That would have been a subversive ending befitting GoT.

Not sure that the evil power holders escaping their fate and living happily ever after can be described as subversive....

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Mad Queen turn wasn't bad, or even unexpected. The way the show set it up, however, was terribly flawed. THAT'S the issue.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017

But she already took it with fire and blood. Then she looked at the red keep, flew there and destroyed it. Along with the entire fucking city.

Say what you want but it was out of character for her to mindlessly kill truly innocent people. It simply never happened before this episode and the transition was too fast. You don't turn her into a caricature within 3 episodes. They even ruined other characters to make this crap happen.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not invested at all (haven't watched past season one), but I do enjoy the memes. Here's another reductive one for you:

60448040_10155988538927513_7567808959113854976_n.jpg
mUh bIRtHrIgHt.

Real talk though they should've shown more examples of her burning people alive in very questionable situations.
Still, she's never been all good. She had her streaks of tyranny throughout the series.
That's the problem with would-be kings and queens, isn't it? Having a chosen one complex makes you look shitty, ask Stannis.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
But she already took it with fire and blood. Then she looked at the red keep, flew there and destroyed it. Along with the entire fucking city.

Say what you want but it was out of character for her to mindlessly kill truly innocent people. It simply never happened before this episode and the transition was too fast. You don't turn her into a caricature within 3 episodes. They even ruined other characters to make this crap happen.

I honestly haven't watched the show to know. I just think it's a funny reductive take of what happened.