• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
Can I run game pass or the games as non steam games in steam so I can stream to my tv in the living room? Sometimes I feel like playing on my couch and steam makes that easy.
How did you do this? I never have issues with Windows Update but trying to update to 1903 has failed and spit out an error even after Googling a bunch of possible solutions. I recently migrated to an NVME ssd so I hope it's not related to that.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
try this:

dont know if it will help.

I heard that Windows has problems when a File is big. Metro took me almost 8 hours. I have an 400mbit connection ......

gonna try to download forza tomorrow and see how that goes. Smaller games were lightning fast.

btw. @ everybody: download Streamworld dig 2. Such a great addictive game . Loved the first game and the second one is pulling me down the mine again.
Thanks for that tip. Seems it should be default at 100 and you can limit it yourself.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was only interested in this to play Metro Exodus, but judging by the issues reported here...I might just hold off for the Steam release next year (hoepfully). I'm not installing that Epic crap

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
After the new Xbox app downloaded, a restart, and Metro is installing. We'll see how it goes as far as launching the game when it's done.

PetyrBaeless

Apr 3, 2019
So far, few issues with Gamepass. However, I'm trying to get Forza Horizon 4 to run properly and I'm having no luck. Every time I try to run Benchmark mode, the game crashes. Any of y'all got any advice for this issue?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how many new subs Microsoft got in the last 3 days. I never planned to jump in this gen and was waiting for next gen xbox but this Gamepass deal made me rethink that and i too am now in this till 2022.

I am thinking about buying a cheap xbox one S for all the gamepass for console games until Project scarlett comes out end of next year. Its a really long time to just use gamepass on pc. Also not all gamepass games are on pc so it would make sense and the games are clearly optimised for the console . PC ports are hit and miss. Like Metro exodus is showing right now. Its a mess.
My Gold was going to expire in two weeks, so I needed to renew it anyways. I just saved $540. I already bought the gold subs months ago. I still have one left lol.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Welp...

xbox-gamepass-ulti.png
How do you pay ahead?

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I love how everything Microsoft does is still hilariously broken in so many ways, but we're all too happy with such a great deal to be as angry as we'd normally be.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed there was a new update for the Xbox app on the windows store, just downloaded it.

Anyone who has been having problems might want to check it out and see if it fixes anything.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So I posted this in the Game Pass thread, but this seems a more appropriate place.

This has been a complete pain in the ass for me. downloaded Void Bastards, Slay the Spire and Banner Saga. Void Bastards and Slay the Spire give me an error when I try to launch them that looks like this:
0qF2z8Wl.jpg

I'm now trying to download Wargroove and it won't let me even download it. I'm completely up to date on my PC. Tried another game and got the same problem, just gives me the error code that everyone seems to be getting for Metro. I tried bypassing the app and just going straight to the store, but it still gives me the same error (Code: 0x80070005). For whatever reason, Banner Saga works fine.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn...I guess you've already tried this, but have you manually deleted the softwaredistribution folders etc ? We use that method here at work when Windows updates fail to install from our SCCM server

Just google softwaredistribution and windows updates to get the method if not. I think that was one of the last things I did previously before using the update assistant, maybe that made the difference.
Finally got around to trying this too, no such luck. Same shit. I think there's probably just one solution if I want to play Gamepass games on my PC: reinstall Windows. The dumbest shit.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good to know that they put a fancy new coat of paint onto the dumpster windows store without improving any of the underlying experience at all

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Are they separating Gamepass from console and PC? I've had Gamepass on Xbox for nearly a year already, which gave me some games on PC as well. Does this just mean now I get more games?

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how many new subs Microsoft got in the last 3 days. I never planned to jump in this gen and was waiting for next gen xbox but this Gamepass deal made me rethink that and i too am now in this till 2022.

I am thinking about buying a cheap xbox one S for all the gamepass for console games until Project scarlett comes out end of next year. Its a really long time to just use gamepass on pc. Also not all gamepass games are on pc so it would make sense and the games are clearly optimised for the console . PC ports are hit and miss. Like Metro exodus is showing right now. Its a mess.
Someone at corporate Microsoft is grinning wildly, rubbing his hands together while whispering "yesss yesssss" 🤣

Jan 22, 2018
How would I go about doing this? Because I've been trying to install Wolfenstein 2 for three days and it's still stuck on starting.
In my experience with the Windows Store, if a download is stuck it's an account issue. You'll usually find that if you disconnect your Microsoft account (turning it into a local account) then log in another user and connect your Microsoft account to that, it will download. Obviously not a great fix, but the alternative can be to reinstall Windows...so making a second account is the lesser of two evils. Welcome to the Windows Store.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Getting an error when I try and download Halo Wars Definitive. Everything else installs/works just fine. WTF.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally got around to trying this too, no such luck. Same shit. I think there's probably just one solution if I want to play Gamepass games on my PC: reinstall Windows. The dumbest shit.

Do you get an error code when it fails ? If so, it may be worth posting it on the Microsoft support page or an unofficial site such as tenforums.com to see if someone there can assist further.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I never could get the so to finish. Kept on going up to 7 hours and it's only a 2.5gb file. Tried several tips like registry and windows settings and nothing :(

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I mentioned before, but when i had errors downloading windows store games, I connected via ethernet instead of wifi and it worked. This might not work for you but might be worth a shot.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
I subscribed, tried downloading Everspace, and keeps failing and it's telling me I need to install it on my system drive. Is this a requirement for all games?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you get an error code when it fails ? If so, it may be worth posting it on the Microsoft support page or an unofficial site such as tenforums.com to see if someone there can assist further.
I'm currently pursuing the issue on answers.microsoft.com with a very helpful poster. Fingers crossed we manage to get it sorted.

Oct 26, 2017
So Metro Exodus still doesn't work (Sign in issue) and now that I decided to try Forza Horizon 4, it just instantly goes away once a window even pops up lol

I guess the one positive is this means the $5 during the beta will go longer since this seems pretty bad so far on my end at least.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After a couple hours, I finally got game pass working. It was quite an adventure:

1.) After subscribing for $1, I tried downloading a couple games from the Microsoft store app -- it let me download and run these games, but there was obviously some sort of DRM / verification problem since they all refused to play (for example, ReCore would be stuck at the title screen even after pressing "start" or "A", others just refused to load or similarly soft locked at the title screens).

2.) Ok, I'll try the Xbox beta app. Oh wait, it won't let me install because I'm not running 1903. Let's spend half an hour updating Windows, manually, because apparently some AMD RAID nvme driver doesn't work in 1903, and that disqualifies my computer from updating via the Windows Update settings even though I'm not using any RAID setup with my drives. I am forced to update via the Windows media creation tool.

3.) Windows is now updated and my start button / menu refuses to work at all. Apparently because I "debloated" my Windows 10 install previously by removing unwanted App packages, this broke 1903. After some App package management via powershell to re-add Cortana and the "Shell Experience Host", we have a fixed start menu. Google also tells me that even things like corrupted/broken App tiles can completely ruin the start menu. Like, WTF, Microsoft?

4.) Ok, let's get the Xbox Beta app. Huh, I can't sign in at all. Blank page.

5.) Google tells me to download the "Xbox console companion" app, sign into that, and it will magically sign me in on the Xbox beta app. Ok, the Xbox console companion app is spitting out an error 0x406 at me and won't let me sign in either.

6.) More Google tells me that error 0x406 is occurring because I don't have the "Xbox Identity Provider" app installed.

7.) Lo and behold, installing the identify provider fixes the sign in problem with the console companion app (but not the beta app).

8.) After signing in to the console companion app and manually restarting the xbox beta app, we are finally signed in and able to download gamepass stuff. I still can't sign into the Xbox beta app without using the companion app as a proxy. Lol.

9.) Apparently the "Press Enter to Start" issue on ReCore was the game attempting me to log into my Microsoft account, which for some reason failed when downloading it from the MS Store but not this Xbox app. A suitably janky DRM system to go with my janky install experience.

Now, if I wasn't technically inclined and didn't have some sys admin experience, this shit would've made me give up. Getting Gamepass to work on PC has been like pulling teeth. I sincerely hope the final release out of beta streamlines some of this stuff.

That was cathartic. End rant.

Vakuf

Oct 25, 2017
With metro having trouble and this still being in beta. Decided to cancel until everything gets sorted out and comes out of beta phase. Def gonna keep my eye on it.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I am still trying to find out if the games shown at the conference that said "play with xbox game pass at launch" includes always the pc pass too.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question. I cannot for the life of me find the end of my breakaway cable for my 360 controller. I wanted to use that since it would be much more easily compatible but alas I cannot find it. So is it easy enough to use a Dualshock 4 or something with the Gamepass app? Or would I have to do some dumb shit like try to emulate a xbox controller for it to be able to work?

OP
OP
Rynam

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Question. I cannot for the life of me find the end of my breakaway cable for my 360 controller. I wanted to use that since it would be much more easily compatible but alas I cannot find it. So is it easy enough to use a Dualshock 4 or something with the Gamepass app? Or would I have to do some dumb shit like try to emulate a xbox controller for it to be able to work?

DS4 works in some games, but if you want to use it in everything I think you're better off emulating a xbox360 controller with DS4Windows. https://ryochan7.github.io/ds4windows-site/

Mathew Oakman

Oct 11, 2018
After a couple hours, I finally got game pass working. It was quite an adventure:

1.) After subscribing for $1, I tried downloading a couple games from the Microsoft store app -- it let me download and run these games, but there was obviously some sort of DRM / verification problem since they all refused to play (for example, ReCore would be stuck at the title screen even after pressing "start" or "A", others just refused to load or similarly soft locked at the title screens).

2.) Ok, I'll try the Xbox beta app. Oh wait, it won't let me install because I'm not running 1903. Let's spend half an hour updating Windows, manually, because apparently some AMD RAID nvme driver doesn't work in 1903, and that disqualifies my computer from updating via the Windows Update settings even though I'm not using any RAID setup with my drives. I am forced to update via the Windows media creation tool.

3.) Windows is now updated and my start button / menu refuses to work at all. Apparently because I "debloated" my Windows 10 install previously by removing unwanted App packages, this broke 1903. After some App package management via powershell to re-add Cortana and the "Shell Experience Host", we have a fixed start menu. Google also tells me that even things like corrupted/broken App tiles can completely ruin the start menu. Like, WTF, Microsoft?

5.) Google tells me to download the "Xbox console companion" app, sign into that, and it will magically sign me in on the Xbox beta app. Ok, the Xbox console companion app is spitting out an error 0x406 at me and won't let me sign in either.

6.) More Google tells me that error 0x406 is occurring because I don't have the "Xbox Identity Provider" app installed.

7.) Lo and behold, installing the identify provider fixes the sign in problem with the console companion app (but not the beta app).

8.) After signing in to the console companion app and manually restarting the xbox beta app, we are finally signed in and able to download gamepass stuff. I still can't sign into the Xbox beta app without using the companion app as a proxy. Lol.

9.) Apparently the "Press Enter to Start" issue on ReCore was the game attempting me to log into my Microsoft account, which for some reason failed when downloading it from the MS Store but not this Xbox app. A suitably janky DRM system to go with my janky install experience.

Now, if I wasn't technically inclined and didn't have some sys admin experience, this shit would've made me give up. Getting Gamepass to work on PC has been like pulling teeth. I sincerely hope the final release out of beta streamlines some of this stuff.

i'm having exactly the same issues.....

Done the manual update of windows, then it booted up but stayed on the green screen with the xbox logo. If I run it as administrator it goes to the next screen where is just goes black !!!

Any ideas anyone????

My laptop is current get i7 with a 1070 and 32gb of ram so plenty powerful enough.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know the VPN situation with gamepass?

Gamepass is in the Japanese bureaucracy limbo and has been delayed over 2 years now and seems to not be showing any signs of life at the moment. Apparently the approval of console game ratings and being able to sell pc versions of things are not related at all, and since gamepass offers both for games its not been approved yet.

This country has a BS system for everything, even playing damn games, geeze.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, Metro apparently didn't save. So when died an hour into the game all I could do was go to the main menu...Did they not test this shit at all?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I mentioned before, but when i had errors downloading windows store games, I connected via ethernet instead of wifi and it worked. This might not work for you but might be worth a shot.
My pC is hooked up via WiFi in the living room but have a WiFi extender with Ethernet out. will try that when I get up officially ( it's 5am here lol)

What a mess but will try some of these things too.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
That hasn't been my experience -- the game remained stuck at 720p, won't save system settings, and won't save my game.

Same issue here. Seems the Metro executable doesn't have write permissions to the default save folder. Since it took me forever patching up my system to even be able to run this game at all, I don't want to start messing around with the permissions and folders... again. But I think it has to do with that, anyway. Running the .exe as an admin might work, but the .exe file is locked inside the WindowsApps folder which is owned by TrustedInstaller.

Microsoft SERIOUSLY need to do a complete 180 on this whole setup. You can't be locking down folders away from the Admin user of a computer - I should be able to at the very least list the files in the directories.

Also... They're likely using their existing CDN to deliver these games, but that seems to be shared or something with every other downloadable that Microsoft offers, be it Windows Updates, Office, etc. This is likely why I can't get the Store to max out my connection anywhere near where Steam or similar can.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any issues downloading or launching the few games I've tried so far but...

I really want to play CrossCode with a 360 pad but the game will not recognize it at all. I found a suggested fix by the dev, but it's for the Steam version, i.e., a version where you can go into the game's install directory and mess around. Windows locking me out of my game installs is not in the spirit of the whole "Win32 for all!" initiative they're trumpeting.

Any advice?

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Man, i cancelled my sub. The fact that i own a large amount of these games already on Steam, the piss poor performance i'm getting with a game like gear of war ultimate edition and the fact that some other win games may make it over to steam just isn't enough for me to keep the service. The service is good for people who are starting out on PC, though.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
No issues here. Game pass on pc is running beautifully. Download speeds could be better.

I'm just waiting for a patch for Void Bastards. There's a bug where the controller stops working. The patch has been sent to MS, it just needs to be approved. According to my direct message with the dev.