• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I signed up and paid and... I forgot I need the app. And windows won't update.

Uhhhh, ok, it's my fault I rushed to do it. And I see the workarounds, I just wish it was easy lol

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Yeah and some older games are receiving new updates too. For example last update for Fez in steam was 1.12 but the gamepass version is showing as 1.13 (beta). Good to see that Polytron is releasing games in Xbox again after all the issues that Phil Fish and Xbox Arcade Updates policies.

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, changed my storage location to my g:\ drive but I'm still getting the same error relating to system drives? Why is Windows 10 always so weird with app storage from the app store? Any advice?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I subscribed for a couple of months and let my subscription lapse in January but this announcement has me back in the saddle. Can't beat $1 for the first month and five on a regular basis. if they improve their storefront and the app and make everything just work then I'll be pretty happy with the service given the offerings. it's always nice not to have to pay for multiplayer on PC as well so good on them for not trying to shoehorn that in.

Oct 26, 2017
Just to make sure, you're on the current version of win10 (Build 1903)? Many games are only available for that build. If you are then yeah could mean they aren't unlocked everywhere yet.

Yes. That's how I could download the Xbox beta app, in fact. It couldn't be installed otherwise.

I can't install games like Void Bastards, Slay the Spire, Imperator Rome or Metro Exodus.
I could install games like FH4, Astroneer and Wargroove.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
OP thank you for the detailed instructions, definitely not straightforward right now. Hopefully it gets better.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having issues installing Metro? I open the Microsoft store link, but install is greyed out and won't let me click.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Lol I've been trying to pay for it for the past hour.

TAKE MY DOLLAR MICROSOFT!!!!

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. That's how I could download the Xbox beta app, in fact. It couldn't be installed otherwise.

I can't install games like Void Bastards, Slay the Spire, Imperator Rome or Metro Exodus.

Yeah, you cant install the games marked "administrator approval required for installation". Neither can I. There used to be a popup everytime you wanted to install a game that needs admin, but now it seems broken.

Also, in the Windows store it shows I have no compatible devices to install Void Bastards, even though I double checked and I do.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm in the lucky bunch as installing games work (like Metro Exodus) and I can actually choose which drive to use haha

Oct 30, 2017
Rebooting solved my issue.

Me, at work, ALL THE TIME: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Me, at home: "I AIN'T REBOOTING SHIT!"

You'd think I'd learn from troubleshooting people's issues....

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you cant install the games marked "administrator approval required for installation". Neither can I. There used to be a popup everytime you wanted to install a game that needs admin, but now it seems broken.

Also, in the Windows store it shows I have no compatible devices to install Void Bastards, even though I double checked and I do.

That sounds like maybe disabling UAC temporally would fix the issue.

For now I will await, I'm in no hurry.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I hope they will lower the price for Game Pass on console to make a parity with PC version. I understand that they want to be competitive with other stores on PC so that's why the price is so low. But they also have a competition on console side which they are losing badly right now. This pricing just doesn't feel right especially considering Live Gold paywall.
It already says this is an introductory price. Expect PC Gamepass to increase in price to match Console Gamepass once it gets more games.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
is it £1 for the first month in the UK too. I'm looking at the gamepass in the windows xbox store thingy and it says the first month is 3.99. am I missing an offer somewhere?

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Works great here. With the current game selection it has Insane value for $1. Very good value for $4 and good value for $10.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I think folks having DRM issues should just wait till after the conference before going nuts in troubleshooting (rebooting can't hurt though 😀).

That's said I am kind of dreading the 1903 update. I have Pro so usually run about 12 months behind with feature updates (on 1803 right now). However, what the hell, I have everyrhing backed up, versioned so worst comes to worst it will be the normal Win store experience.

Once it officially launches
giphy.gif

Oct 30, 2017
I think folks having DRM issues should just wait till after the conference before going nuts in troubleshooting (rebooting can't hurt though 😀).

That's said I am kind of dreading the 1903 update. I have Pro so usually run about 12 months behind with feature updates (on 1803 right now). However, what the hell, I have everyrhing backed up, versioned so worst comes to worst it will be the normal Win store experience.

Unplug external storage and disc drives and uninstalled BattlEye. I don't understand the storage and disc drive reasoning, but having those plugged in blocked the update for me.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
Anyone else unable to sign in to your account inside the Xbox app? Nothing happens if I click sign in. Tried reinstalling and rebooting, can't get it to work.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Just subbed on the website. Opened MS store app on PC and am now instaling Crackdown 3. Seems to be working absolutely fine in the UK right now.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this complete devaluation of games is a good thing in the long term but as a consumer idgaf.
Pretty much.

It would be so interesting to hear what Microsofts actual end game for gamepass actually is. And I'm not talling about the rosey red words out of Phil Spencer on stage or in interviews, but what internally they want to achieve with the service.

It would seem to me that they'd either need to skyrocket the price or every single game on the service would have to have some secondary source of income like microtransactions and or dlc ion order for devs/publishers to actually make money.
Gamepass could result in games being devalued even more than they already are.
Why buy a game for a whopping 60$ when you get so many for a couple of bucks a month from gamepas`?
This. So many third parties pissed off they can't sell premium mobile games, now they're about to do the same to the outside of mobile market.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think with that list of games I am in. I see two of my most recent game purchases are on that list already.

Is there a reason to look into ultimate if you don't have an Xbox and won't until next gen at the earliest?

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hot damn that's a ridiculously good deal. Many of those titles have been on my wishlist. Coupled with first-party titles like MCC and Gears this is honestly a no-brainer. Makes me wonder what they have in store for the conference if this is already announced.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

It might not be the reason, but it looks like the games you can install are UWP and the ones you can't are Win32.

Or at the least, the ones you can were on the Win 10 store previously and the ones you can't just dropped on the store today.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, I think with that list of games I am in. I see two of my most recent game purchases are on that list already.

Is there a reason to look into ultimate if you don't have an Xbox and won't until next gen at the earliest?
Nah, Ultimate is pretty good if you have an Xbone and already got Live/GamePass. Otherwise just do PC GamePass. You can always convert later on if you get Xbox Next.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
i had more trouble buying it, than logging on it and getting xbox beta app, it showed on the ms store and got it from there, didnt had to get the op links for it, and all the games are ready for install, no greyed out ones.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The MS store app in Windows 10 is absolutely the worst interface I've ever seen in my entire life. Want to find a list of gamepass games within the app? Takes a bunch of clicks and then it doesn't even show you all of them. I don't think there is a way to see them all.

Want to see your installed games and only your games? Takes like 5 clicks, and all of that is undone each time you navigate away.

Want to uninstall a game? Can't do it from the app. Because why would you want to uninstall a game from a piece of software that manages your library of games? That'd be silly.

This app feels like it was custom designed to prevent anyone from using it. This is so bad it makes me not want to play anything on it even for $1. You thought EGS app was bad? OHHhhhhhhhhhh baby at least that app shows you your games all at once in one click. Novel idea, I know.

MS store is the anthem of game launchers

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
is it £1 for the first month in the UK too. I'm looking at the gamepass in the windows xbox store thingy and it says the first month is 3.99. am I missing an offer somewhere?
Yep, £1 for the first month.

The MS store app in Windows 10 is absolutely the worst interface I've ever seen in my entire life. Want to find a list of gamepass games within the app? Takes a bunch of clicks and then it doesn't even show you all of them. I don't think there is a way to see them all.
I was expecting some sort of Game Pass landing page that showed me all the stuff I have and I figured I just couldn't find it.

It can't actually be that that's not possible, can it?

Oct 26, 2017
It might not be the reason, but it looks like the games you can install are UWP and the ones you can't are Win32.

Or at the least, the ones you can were on the Win 10 store previously and the ones you can't just dropped on the store today.

LOL, it would be hilarious if they can't get to download and install a normal Win32 app. I thought UWP were the ones who were problematic :P

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Want to see your installed games and only your games? Takes like 5 clicks, and all of that is undone each time you navigate away.

Want to uninstall a game? Can't do it from the app. Because why would you want to uninstall a game from a piece of software that manages your library of games? That'd be silly.

This app feels like it was custom designed to prevent anyone from using it. This is so bad it makes me not want to play anything on it even for $1.
They have a new app out for it. You can get the beta.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

This app feels like it was custom designed to prevent anyone from using it. This is so bad it makes me not want to play anything on it even for $1.
Except you don't need the store anymore?