• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Game Pass Ultimate is great, I got the free upgrade and more games on PC is ace but with my now having access to some of the same games on both Xbox and PC.

After installing a few one thing jumps out as 'a bit crap' and it's that it doesn't carry progress and have cross saves on all of the titles that are on both systems. I guess I've been spoilt with Play Anywhere.

Games on Both PC and Xbox Game Pass

Game with Cross Save [Play Anywhere]

• ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Astroneer
  • Crackdown 3
  • Disneyland Adventures
  • EVERSPACE
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Full Metal Furies
  • Gears of War 4
  • Guacamelee 2! Complete
  • Halo Wars: DE
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition
  • Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
  • Moonlighter
  • Old Mans Journey
  • ReCore Definitive Edition
  • Riptide GP: Renegade
  • Ruiner
  • Rush: A Disney-Pixar Adventure
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Silence - The Whispered World 2
  • Snake Pass
  • State of Decay 2
  • State of Decay 2 - Heartland
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Super Lucky's Tale
  • Supermarket Shriek
  • Tacoma
  • Wargroove
  • We Happy Few
  • Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection
Separate Progression
  • ABZU
  • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
  • Bomber Crew
  • Braid
  • Bridge Constructor Portal
  • Brothers
  • Clustertruck
  • Gears of War Ultimate Edition
  • Halo Spartan Assault
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hello Neighbor
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
  • Metro Exodus
  • MudRunner
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • Neon Chrome
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Oxenfree
  • RiMe
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shenmue I & II
  • Smoke and Sacrifice
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • SUPERHOT
  • Surviving Mars
  • The Banner Saga
  • The Banner Saga 2
  • The Flame In The Flood
  • The Gardens Between
  • The Surge
  • The Turing Test
  • Vampyr
  • Void Bastards
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
  • Wizard of Legend
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

All The Game Pass Games Listed HERE

What are your thoughts on this Era? Seems like the Play Anywhere is falling away but feels more important than ever with this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Hopefully they can add some sort of API to their cloud saves for the Win32 games to link, it's a shame you can't bounce between them on each platform not we are in a cross progression, play anywhere world.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed to load up Shenmue and see that my Xbox save wasn't there.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the challenges for Microsoft, next-gen, will be making sure that saves are completely universal between X360, X1, Scarlett and PC, regardless of which version you're playing. Though I suspect it's gonna be harder for older games as some of them likely require tinkering by the original devs.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is it harder because Win32 apps are more open to modding, and do MS want modded games flying around in the Xbox Live sphere? E.g. people unlocking all their achievements?

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Is this something that Microsoft can even fix on their end. Seems like something that the developer themselves would have to implement.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like something they didn't do yet due to achievements... I'd presume. Hope they get it in there

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Bridge Constructor Portal is a weird one too, says Xbox Live Cloud Saves in the description, shows friends who have played on Xbox on the hub page but not Play Anywhere.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
One of the challenges for Microsoft, next-gen, will be making sure that saves are completely universal between X360, X1, Scarlett and PC, regardless of which version you're playing. Though I suspect it's gonna be harder for older games as some of them likely require tinkering by the original devs.

Yeah, especially with xcloud, tho that seems to be following Xbox builds.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuck I really wanted to continue my progress in Ori on PC.

Now I have to turn on my Xbox for the first time in a year 😭

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, converted my xbl and gamepass to ultimate and I'm covered until July 2021. Pretty damn cool as I can take advantage of the PC gamepass now.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
i think this will come in due time. i'm really just happy there are more choices for game pass on PC now. finding some gems that i'm really enjoying!

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Just came here to research this. I'd like to sign up for ultimate with the idea that I can move back and forth between console and PC. Hopefully over time this just becomes a standard for cross save.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really good thread, I assume MS will be looking to put policy in place to support it moving forward, ie change thier tooling now to support PC progression and vice versa. I'd have thought it would be more beneficial for 3rd parties in the long run.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
This is up to the developer to implement, MS already provides the tools. Developer choice is a good thing.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think that Ori would be supported.

Fuuuuck I really wanted to continue my progress in Ori on PC.

Now I have to turn on my Xbox for the first time in a year 😭

Found this thread because it's very confusing right now to tell which games have what features. I see where the features are listed in the PC app, but it needs some sort of easier to digest feature summary like a table for each game.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate that list is because I've been bouncing between Ori on PC and console and there is cross-progression even though it's not listed as Play Anywhere. It syncs the save each session.

It does list Cloud Saves for it in the PC app, so maybe that covers cross-save/progression. I don't think being Play Anywhere is required for that. It's very confusing.

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know where the hell in Windows 10 the Xbox (beta).exe launcher is located? Or where the games are installed? I can't find the file path no matter how hard I try, and I tried Googling it several times.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I can't seem to download the monthly Xbox 360 gold games. Xbox one I have no issues. Otherwise loving playing Forza 4 on both my laptop and Xbox.

Oct 29, 2017
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
Thanks, but from here I was able to find the folder "Microsoft.XboxApp_48.54.25001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" which looks like the closest thing that makes the most sense to where the Xbox executable file would be located at. I found "XboxApp" there but it has a generic icon on it (not the xbox icon I have a shortcut of on my taskbar) and when I try to run it it says:

"XboxApp.exe - System Error

The code execution cannot proceed because SharedLibrary.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

The code execution cannot proceed because mrt100_app.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

Huh? I can run it fine using the shortcut...so weird.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yea, to be clear, Play Anywhere is BETTER than just having cross save/progression. Play Anywhere ALSO means cross buy and typically crossplay. If a game is play anywhere, you don't need to have GPU to take advantage of it on multiple platforms. That said, if you have GPU, a play anywhere title is functionally the same as one that has shared progression. I also hope that this will just become more of a thing moving forward. Might be something MS builds into game stack or becomes easy to implement in the 3rd party middleware engines.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Play Anywhere is not dead, it just will mostly be a first party thing in the future. I don't think we'll see many games like Shadow of Mordor and Resident Evil 7 in the program again, maybe some indie titles will be included though. Publishers like to cash in twice if they can.

Cross-save and cross-progression are very important though, I fully agree with you, OP. I'm not sure if all game can enable this technically, how many resources publishers would still put into older games. It's the same with Xbox Live integration and achievement support. I do expect new releases to be much better at this though, especially once Game Pass for PC goes out of Beta.