• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
Subscribers to Xbox Game Pass are buying more titles and trying a wider variety of genres than they did before joining.

That's the message from ID@Xbox lead Agostino Simonetta, who shared data from the subscription service with attendees at yesterday's GamesIndustry.biz Investment Summit in London.

"People that join the subscription are way more engaged," said Simonetta. "Well, they have a lot of free games to play -- but actually they're way more engaged outside the subscription. They go out to stores and buy more games than they did before they joined."

He went on to reveal that this increase in number of games played has also shown Xbox users trying a wider variety of games. An impressive 91% of subscribers say they have played a title they would not tried without Xbox Game Pass, while Microsoft has noticed members are playing 30% more genres than they did before joining.

"We're leading on subscription, developers are going on the journey with us and we're seeing them publicly commenting... the Afterparty team the other day said after seeing their game go on Game Pass day and date, suddenly they were seeing a lot of sales on other platforms. No More Robots said when Descenders went into Game Pass from Xbox Game Preview, they saw a positive impact on other platforms."

Courtesy of gamesindustry biz

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" He went on to reveal that this increase in number of games played has also shown Xbox users trying a wider variety of games. An impressive 91% of subscribers say they have played a title they would not tried without Xbox Game Pass, while Microsoft has noticed members are playing 30% more genres than they did before joining."

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good message, and story...but my weird take away is that I want a t shirt that says "I'm 30 percent more genre!"

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and console warring over a series of posts
But then how do we explain Gears 5's weaker sales?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
" He went on to reveal that this increase in number of games played has also shown Xbox users trying a wider variety of games. An impressive 91% of subscribers say they have played a title they would not tried without Xbox Game Pass, while Microsoft has noticed members are playing 30% more genres than they did before joining."

Clearly those are outliers, we know the service doesn't have much to offer beyond a few hidden gems and it's impossible for gamers to play a game when it's going to leave the service eventually.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
But then how do we explain Gears 5's weaker sales?

I think maybe they are just talking about sales of specific genres that some might not have bothered with prior to playing them on Game Pass. So they play them, then want something similar that's not on the Game Pass and go buy them. I honestly don't really see how these services make their money either over simply having people purchasing their games. Especially when it's a day one release that ends up on the subscription. I can't see how this would actually help The Outer Worlds since everyone can just play it for $5.00 or whatever. Are they making money off of people who just never buy games anyway? That compensates for losing the sales from those that would have purchased it if they had no other option?

Renting games has existed in some form since the 80s, but these services seem to be trying to compete with stuff like Redbox and Gamefly more than anything.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Game Pass will cause another Rocket League type mega hit eventually. Where being "free" for 1 platform gave it ridiculous amounts highly positive word of mouth.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Game Pass is an excellent service. I hope MS goes all out next gen. :)

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's obvious that the reduction in first party sales will be the new buzzword brought up for....how long do we think? well into next gen?

I can totally believe that gamepass increases sales overall across the xbox library.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
But perhaps it's in the same way as when I play games using my GBA flashcart? I have definitely noticed that there is a direct relationship between paying for a game and appreciating its value. When I can play anything, at any time I like, sometimes I feel like the things I am playing have little value (when in fact, the opposite is true).

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It definitely opens up options you didn't think of before. I signed up for PS Now the other day and almost found myself playing through the entire Lost Planet trilogy. And then I realised, what the fuck.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The other side is:

"Hey developers, our customers on gamepass don't play your game very long or often and get out and buy other games instead."

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
But perhaps it's in the same way as when I play games using my GBA flashcart? I have definitely noticed that there is a direct relationship between paying for a game and appreciating its value. When I can play anything, at any time I like, sometimes I feel like the things I am playing have little value (when in fact, the opposite is true).

What's the price point where a game starts to lose its value? $5? $10?

Do the games available through Plus or Gold hold less value than if you'd bought them at their full retail price?

Oct 29, 2017
Does stand to reason that people would be more willing to try out different genres and different kinds of games than they usually do, given that it's effectively free for them once they're subbed. If anything would break people out of the endless comfort zone diet of FIFA, Fortnite, GTA and COD, it would be something like Game Pass.

But the retail sales don't correlate with their claims here. They are tremendously down; and Gears 5 was completely cannibalised by its Game Pass release. I absolutely do believe that people become more engaged with games in general & more willing to step outside their genre comfort zone after subscribing to Game Pass (it would be weird if they didn't!); but there's no way that it isn't having a deleterious effect on retail (and that includes digital retail too).

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Duh they are free on the service

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that was the amazing part for me about this. A developer of a relatively small indie game that got put on Game Pass explained that, the day they were added to Gamepass, the actual SALES of the game rose, too. If I remember right, he mostly explained it by the fact that you just get so much more advertisement space, that you get featured on the dashboard and are more visible to so many more people. Sadly, I can't remember the game anymore.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
What's the price point where a game starts to lose its value? $5? $10?

Do the games available through Plus or Gold hold less value than if you'd bought them at their full retail price?

It's a great question I honestly cannot answer. It's just a feeling in myself that I have noticed and I wondered whether others had felt that way as well. When I can consume anything I want, at any time, for nothing, I can become ambivalent about it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can without any doubts confirm that. Since Game Pass is a thing, I'm playing and discovering many more games, often games I wouldn't even have thought about without Game Pass. The service has a pretty good & high paced rhythm to add new games, so there is always something new to check out.

Oct 28, 2017

I've 'tried' an excessive amount of netflix shows I would never watch otherwise. Says nothing about my enjoyment or the quality of the show. This whole thing reads like a fluff piece just to put out some positive numbers on gamepass.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't surprising to me personally. I didn't use my Xbox much last year but GP has been pivotal this year in me using it much more.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Duh they are free on the service

Yes, but this is what the main takeaway is supposed to be (I think):

"People that join the subscription are way more engaged," said Simonetta. "Well, they have a lot of free games to play -- but actually they're way more engaged outside the subscription. They go out to stores and buy more games than they did before they joined."

I never really considered the service myself until recently. I normally buy every game that I am really looking forward to around release (which have been fewer titles per year), but then I also end up finishing it within a week or two, and maybe replay it once. After that though? Unless it's an older, and somewhat short game, it usually just sits forever. So, do I want to spend $50 - $60 for a game I will realistically be engaged with for around two weeks, or pay $5.00 and have another two weeks for whatever? Decisions, decisions, but it won't affect my genre preferences since there's barely anything I want to play that's there that I haven't already played anyway.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Doesn't that mean GamePass users will be more honest about whether or not the game they're playing is actually good, versus falling into the sunk cost fallacy of 'I paid $80, it's a good game'?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was the amazing part for me about this. A developer of a relatively small indie game that got put on Game Pass explained that, the day they were added to Gamepass, the actual SALES of the game rose, too. If I remember right, he mostly explained it by the fact that you just get so much more advertisement space, that you get featured on the dashboard and are more visible to so many more people. Sadly, I can't remember the game anymore.
That's caused by the advertising space. The important part to note here is that it's non-subscribers who are choosing to buy the game instead of Game Pass after seeing the game.

The only time a Game Pass subscriber would buy a game on the catalog is if they're not planning to keep Game Pass but wants to keep playing a game after GP expires.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've 'tried' an excessive amount of netflix shows I would never watch otherwise. Says nothing about my enjoyment or the quality of the show. This whole thing reads like a fluff piece just to put out some positive numbers on gamepass.

And there are people who do enjoy it and then become fan of a franchise of a genre.
They arent talking about enjoyment also. They are talking about people trying.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I find myself trying out new games all the time but I tend to bounce off many of them. A huge variety but lots of stuff I download and never play haha.

Ultimately physical sales numbers might be down on some titles but player retention seems much better and, in my opinion, that is what really matters. It seems perfect for some of those AA and indie titles that get a constant push of new players as the service gets bigger. Also seems great for smaller MP focused games, as the user base stays stable. It's a shame when stuff gets taken off aka Onrush.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I can without any doubts confirm that. Since Game Pass is a thing, I'm playing and discovering many more games, often games I wouldn't even have thought about without Game Pass. The service has a pretty good & high paced rhythm to add new games, so there is always something new to check out.
Yup. The Gardens Between and the Descenders are great.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Subbed to Gamepass and got Gears 5 through that so I had $$ left over so I bought BL3 which I never would have if I had bought Gears.
Also playing games I enjoyed gets me interested in what other games that dev had made or is making.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
It's true for me, so many games I never would have touched. I'm enjoying them. Beat a couple of the Tomb Raiders, I'm playing Shadow of War and Shadow of the Tomb Raider currently. Love Gamepass and GwG. I am about to start up some Ninja Gaiden 3 too!

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm genuinely interested in the finance of it all, but we won't ever hear.
With more studios they are investing tens of millions more a year into games and I'm wondering whether they are making that back. Lets say Gears costs $60 million to develop and several tens of million more to market. That is an awful lot of subscribers required to cover the cost of that. Obviously there'll be a greater number of players buying DLC, but that balance is what is interesting to me, as that is the gambit Microsoft have made.

When you consider they'll be dropping sequels for:

Halo
Gears
Forza
The Outer Worlds
Fable

...and others on the service day one, its an interesting position.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I have played a shit ton of games on gamepass that I normally would not have bought.

admittedly, I haven't bought a game on my XBO since gamepass came out.

I will continue to stay a GPU subscriber.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
True.

Sometimes I just install a game because I saw a single positive mention about it on this forum.
Especially indie games, when the install sizes are thankfully small. It makes it really easy to try a bunch of titles I would've probably ignored.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember them talking about how TONS of people who never play puzzle or physics-based titles tried a game like Human Fall Flat. The low entry price point makes it so easy to experiment with games out of your comfort zone, and makes you second think about what games you actually need to buy. I, for one, am barely buying games anymore, as I realize that there is no point in buying games unless they're dirt cheap or unless I am desperately in need of playing it at launch. Because if I can get the game "free" a couple months later, then I am saving my money for sure.