• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
I don't doubt that statement, but to me, subscriptions have the complete opposite effects. I love 'em but I won't buy a single game that's on there and it makes me way more wary to buy indies in general.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great news that something disruptive and great for consumers is working out. Did they tell you why they love it?
Aren't they worried about the imminent collapse of the gaming market because of it?

The points I heard the most.

- you can potentially strike day one deal where you receive extra exposure, due to free marketing from the gamepass program. Word of mouth then drives further interest.

- once initial sales have tapered entering gamepass allows for a a new lease of life. A boost of engagement from a new player base, driving further revenue opportunities.

- people try your game who may not have. Which is what's reflected here.

Evidence they have gathered through poles etc and direct contact with their player base, is that customers are trying the games who normally wouldn't. This is great overall as players who didn't think they would be fans of a genre, find out they are. The risk of exposure to the customer is reduced greatly. They dont have to spend big money to see if they like a type of game.

Everyone I spoke to believed that the industry is heading this way, and was going to be no matter what. Mirroring netflix etc.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the negative spin all the time for Game Pass here. It's no doubt one of the best services ever for us gamers and have we so far seen any negative reports from developers? If you go with that negativity all the time, make sure to jump in and enjoy it while you can if you think it'll soon go away.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK

- you can potentially strike day one deal where you receive extra exposure, due to free marketing from the gamepass program. Word of mouth then drives further interest.

- once initial sales have tapered entering gamepass allows for a a new lease of life. A boost of engagement from a new player base, driving further revenue opportunities.

Evidence they have gathered through poles etc and direct contact with their player base, is that customers are trying the games who normally wouldn't. This is great overall as players who didn't think they would be fans of a genre, find out they are. The risk of exposure to the customer is reduced greatly. They dont have to spend big money to see if they like a type of game.

Everyone I spoke to believed that the industry is heading this way, and was going to be no matter what. Mirroring netflix etc.
Great, thanks for the insight.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
I play all kinds of games as long as it's quality.
I've been using it for months, but I haven't bought a game.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018

The thing is, I used to buy TV series on DVD and music on CD/digital, but ever since Netflix and Spotify became a thing I have not purchased a single one of those. Which makes me doubt Game Pass users are really buying more games than before.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
I wonder how many of those new games/genres that these people tried ended in them actually completing them? Was it just a matter of trying a few things and then going back to the same old games or did they complete and try others of the same genre?
Also I wonder how many of the $1 subs were just trying as much as they could before it expires?

Its easy to pull stats that reflect well if you dont dig too deep.

But hey I could be completely wrong. I guess we'll see over the coming months (unless they do another cheap offer).

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The thing is, I used to buy TV series on DVD and music on CD/digital, but ever since Netflix and Spotify became a thing I have not purchased a single one of those. Which makes me doubt Game Pass users are really buying more games than before.

Well, not all games are on Game Pass/PS Now like all music is on Spotify/Apple Music
Not all games of Game Pass/Ps Now catalogue are there from the start like most of the TV content these days are on Netflix/HBO etc
Not all games on Game Pass/Ps Now are there forever
People not interested on Game Pass/Ps Now games can buy them from day 1 unlike Netflix Original content

There are certain differences that still push people to buy, and getting used to consume more games can drive to actually buy more

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
I think a difference is that (more for spotify) that things are not going away from these services.
(yes I know netflix drops stuff all the time) but their own stuff stays on the platform and that is what a lot of people are there for.

Gamepass has stuff in rotation and takes a lot longer to beat a game then to watch a tv show / movie and more replay value.
When your in the middle of fallout new vegas and you want to play and it gets cut off your more likely to buy it and continue to play after it leaves gamepass.
It also helps that you get a big discount on games that are in gamepass.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Redbox devalues games too...what if everyone subscribes to it? How are these devs gonna get paid?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is ppl did the exact game thing with PS Plus IGC. Probably with Games with Gold too. I just don't think there were any articles about it. So it makes sense.

Games I normally wouldn't have tried I did because of the service. And it made me start looking at types of games I normally would skip over. This seems like a no brainer.

Back when PS+ was awesome on Ps3 I got it to play all the recentish AAA games on there like Arkham City. Then bought a vita due to the amount of games already had in my library. That in turn got me trying and then buying a load of indies as I preferred them on a handheld. Then they dried up on vita so I bought a switch.

So in conclusion wanting to play Arkham City on PS+ eventually resulted in me buying Celeste on Switch. So I get it, services like this change buying habits across systems in unexpected ways.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of those new games/genres that these people tried ended in them actually completing them? Was it just a matter of trying a few things and then going back to the same old games or did they complete and try others of the same genre?
There are games I paid $60 and never finished them. If you don't like something you just don't bother with it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

It sounds like you prefer a subscription model, but you are currently forced to buy video games when you would prefer to receive your entertainment through a service like gamepass?

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It sounds like you prefer a subscription model, but you are currently forced to buy video games when you would prefer to receive your entertainment through a service like gamepass?
The reason Spotify and Netflix are so convenient to me is because they allowed me to stop buying that media. With Gamepass is a bit more tricky since, at least for now, even though they have some titles I could be interested in, there's still a lot of stuff I'd need to buy regardless, which makes it not as convenient.

We'll see how it evolves. But it definitely draws my attention more than say Stadia, that's for sure, and I can see myself using it a few years from now (especially now that Microsoft owns studios I enjoy like Obsidian and inXile).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Also I wonder how many of the $1 subs were just trying as much as they could before it expires?

Its easy to pull stats that reflect well if you dont dig too deep.

But hey I could be completely wrong. I guess we'll see over the coming months (unless they do another cheap offer).
I haven't finished a majority of $60 games I purchased because they are usually not that enjoyable enough all the way through the single player.

I would buy new games to play the new hype thing and then go back to playing COD, Or now Destiny.

With Gamepass now whenever I need that hit of something new it's just there and I save myself money. The last game I spent money on was the Assaassin Creed game with Alexious, the Spartan. Game is amazing the character is amazing but it's a HUGE game and never finished it. Feels like a waste of $60. I don't waste money on Gamepass.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I play more but I have only beaten ONE, Steamworld Dig 2.
Feel like I just have less tolerance for games when using GamePass. Gears 5 got rather dull quickly? instantly dropped. Shadow of War is boring from the beginning? dropped. Whereas I feel like I am more patient on Switch, PS4 and well... non-GamePass games.

I think it's a good that GamePass is so accessible but at the same time I feel like it creates a few problems such as less people sticking to games and maybe even deteriorating their value, if that makes sense. "Why pay $60usd? I'd rather wait for GamePass". Which is also why I doubt Sony or Nintendo go for that model

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
This information doesn't mean a lot to me without retention rates/average time played or something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This information doesn't mean a lot to me without retention rates/average time played or something like that.
Yep. Like, I try out far more games thanks to PS+ but a good majority of them get uninstalled after that, and several I never even add to my "collection".

For things like Humble Bundle, I mostly try the ones I really want and give away the rest.

Have heard some not-so-nice things about how gamepass can affect the future first party games, let alone larger third party titles. Here is hoping it doesn't turn out that way and we don't see repeats of situations like what happen to Psyonix when the game blew up so much that the server costs exceeded what they had made putting it on PS+ and it was Steam sales that saved them from going under.