• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
True.

Sometimes I just install a game because I saw a single positive mention about it on this forum.
Especially indie games, when the install sizes are thankfully small. It makes it really easy to try a bunch of titles I would've probably ignored.

Now imagine if Xcloud will allow us to try those games without a download at all. The engagement will grow exponentially.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is me exactly.

Having Game Pass got me playing more Game Pass games, obviously, but it's also made me more likely to buy other titles that previously I'd have put off for a sale or whatever.

I think having things on Game Pass day one, reminding me what playing a game when it first comes out is like, has made me more likely to jump in on new stuff.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I discovered Outerwilds, replayed Gears 3 (after leaving half way 8 years ago), just started Shadows of Tomb Raider (and loving it).

I'm definitely branching out, and yes, I'm playing more then I used to.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I believe people are branching out and trying different genres.

But I refuse to believe people are buying more games because they're paying for a subscription service that literally gives them access to hundreds of titles. I call bullshit on that no matter how many times they repeat it. It makes no sense at all, and the message we've been hearing everywhere else is that people are buying less games.
These subscription services and free game giveaways are cannibalizing game sales.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Bu-bu-but wasn't Game Pass bad for the industry and totally unsustainable?

This has nothing to do with Game Pass being sustainable tho. They need more people to pay for the service, because people using the service to play more games will not change anything $$$ wise, tho it's good news for another reasons.

All the devs need to be properly paid (Which they are i think, at least for now) and this need to be lucrative as well in the long run (Which is probably not a thing yet, MS is still on the investment phase and all). This is not something that will happen unless a lot more people subscribes the service continuously and at the proper price instead of that $1 deal.

Not saying Game Pass will not be sustainable in the long run, just that it's not today, since MS are still eating the costs.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I can without any doubts confirm that. Since Game Pass is a thing, I'm playing and discovering many more games, often games I wouldn't even have thought about without Game Pass. The service has a pretty good & high paced rhythm to add new games, so there is always something new to check out.
The question is if that translates to buying games of other genres.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
They go out to stores and buy more games than they did before they joined."
An impressive 91% of subscribers say they have played a title they would not tried without Xbox Game Pass
Did they interogate all of their subscribers, because that's how it sounds like.

And still no subscribers number, shame.

suddenly they were seeing a lot of sales on other platforms. No More Robots said when Descenders went into Game Pass from Xbox Game Preview, they saw a positive impact on other platforms."
What other platforms ? The game is available on Xbox and PC only.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
Did they interogate all of their subscribers, because that's how it sounds like.

And still no subscribers number, shame.

What other platforms ? The game is available on Xbox and PC only.

There will be opt in surveys but most reliable data is through the internal metrics xbox will use to determine success, engagement, usage cohorts.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surprising to me personally. I didn't use my Xbox much last year but GP has been pivotal this year in me using it much more.

Same here. It hasn't affected my total time spent on games, but it's made my time in the Xbox ecosystem go up, while it's gone down on Steam and Playstation.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, me too.

Since i got gamepass i stopped buying Indie Games. Before i was buying at least one per month for my Switch but that stopped.
This is me. Once they announced that Bloodstained was hitting GP, I've stopped buying most indie games. I'll wait for them to eventually show up on Gamepass.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this stat is extremely misleading - people who subscribe via gamepass buy 40% more games? Doesn't sound like causation to me - or at least not obviously.

It's probably more like - the type of person who knows and cares about gamepass was probably already buying a lot more games than the average gamer and, who knows, 40% over the average may actually be a reduction for these people (ie maybe before gamepass they were buying 60% more than the average)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This has nothing to do with Game Pass being sustainable tho. They need more people to pay for the service, because people using the service to play more games will not change anything $$$ wise, tho it's good news for another reasons.

All the devs need to be properly paid (Which they are i think, at least for now) and this need to be lucrative as well in the long run (Which is probably not a thing yet, MS is still on the investment phase and all). This is not something that will happen unless a lot more people subscribes the service continuously and at the proper price instead of that $1 deal.

Not saying Game Pass will not be sustainable in the long run, just that it's not today, since MS are still eating the costs.

The more games are on Gamepass, the less individual developers get money from Microsoft.
Unless Microsoft switches to a "you get paid on how much the people spend in your game" which is another can of worms.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are the actual metrics of monetary success of the service for people (interested in that angle of the industry) to discuss.
It's almost no arguing that GP is a best deal for the consumer
No offense to you personally but

1) this entire gen MS has been almost completely silent regarding that kind of info.At this point I feel like people here are yelling at the clouds

2) originally when the above started and they stated MAU that was brushed aside as a meaningless metric. Now that they don't report MAU I ve seen posters asking for it. It's kinda funny tbh

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If Netflix has show us anything, it's that ubiquity is the key to success with any kind of subscription. Right now, Game Pass is only available on two platforms: Xbox One and Windows. Bundle it with XCloud, though, and it's on your TV, it's on your phone, it's on every set-top box.

You have to be wilfully blind to not see a future where streaming is the de facto standard for gaming, and local hardware is the enthusiast's choice the way 4K BluRay players are today. I don't see any future where that doesn't happen.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd love to know %age completion stats on this.

I downloaded a fat amount of Apple Arcade games and have simply not bothered with them.

Feb 26, 2018
No offense to you personally but

1) this entire gen MS has been almost completely silent regarding that kind of info.At this point I feel like people here are yelling at the clouds

2) originally when the above started and they stated MAU that was brushed aside as a meaningless metric. Now that they don't report MAU I ve seen posters asking for it. It's kinda funny tbh

1) you probably right but I still have hope
2) well reporting MAU only can be a bit pointless so that's why I asked for more than just that

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
If Netflix has show us anything, it's that ubiquity is the key to success with any kind of subscription. Right now, Game Pass is only available on two platforms: Xbox One and Windows. Bundle it with XCloud, though, and it's on your TV, it's on your phone, it's on every set-top box.

You have to be wilfully blind to not see a future where streaming is the de facto standard for gaming, and local hardware is the enthusiast's choice the way 4K BluRay players are today. I don't see any future where that doesn't happen.

Yeah, i think that would be pretty damned cool. Xcloud and Gamepass. Stadia from what I saw doesn't seem to have much of a focus on indie gaming. I wish XCloud had more indie games, but it has enough to interest me. Gamepass is amazing value.

Definitely will consider picking up a Scarlett if I have the money.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

This.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
For a very long time now, I have said that the loss of demos, rentals, and the ability to resell games has significantly reduced how likely I am to take a chance on something new.
I played so many more games, and a much bigger variety, when the penalty for trying something new was only my time or $5-10.

I hate having to spend a lot of time poring over reviews to see what other people thought, and then gamble on a $30-60 product that I might not even like. Most of the time that result in a game getting added to my wishlist and I'll pick it up later in a sale, rather than buying right away.
When the cost was free (demo) or low (rental/new game that can be resold) I'd buy a game and draw my own conclusions about it. There are many times where my own opinion on a game has not agreed with the mainstream gaming press.
I don't like it being tied into a subscription service, but this is a step in the right direction.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I can attest that I've tried some titles/genres on it that I wouldn't have normally purchased. It's an excellent service and is open to this sort of thing :)

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, but what about me. I have no actual interest in Gamepass. I have a lot of the games it already has and i just want to play the latest hot new thing. But then Gears 5 comes out. So i subscribe to Gamepass, and unsubscribe directly afterwards. I just got a triple A game for a steal. And after playing Gears i continue buying games like i usually do. And Gamepass has no effect on my shopping decisions whatsoever. But if i understand this correctly, my spending in that month does count towards the "Gamepass increases sales" mantra, while actually it doesn't. I just got a cheap game, thats all. I wonder how many people like me muddy the water of these statistics.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Well, Microsoft will face bankrupcy but at least people are playing more and more varied games!

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Ok, but what about me. I have no actual interest in Gamepass. I have a lot of the games it already has and i just want to play the latest hot new thing. But then Gears 5 comes out. So i subscribe to Gamepass, and unsubscribe directly afterwards. I just got a triple A game for a steal. And after playing Gears i continue buying games like i usually do. And Gamepass has no effect on my shopping decisions whatsoever. But if i understand this correctly, my spending in that month does count towards the "Gamepass increases sales" mantra, while actually it doesn't. I just got a cheap game, thats all. I wonder how many people like me muddy the water of these statistics.

I think you are one of the minortiy of the minority. I assume most people subscribe because of the amount of games they get and not to play only 1 game of it.
If everyone would be as you than gamepass would clearly have no future at all, but that is not the case.

Also the report doesn't state that the habits change for everyone.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

You are assuming that a lot of people just sub for that one hotness and immediately jump ship afterwards but I think that's just the minority. What actually happens is that a lot of people stay subscribed when they see the vast amount of games that are coming month after month.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
giphy.gif

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Plenty of people do this on Netflix too. Still, after something like Stranger Things launches, a lot of people keep their subscription for Netflix running. Your behavior is probably collateral damage for them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Game Pass will be successful. Why would anyone not want Game Pass to be successful?
Because imo it requires significant funding that may be difficult for other manufacturers in the short-term, which is an issue for fanboys. So they attack its integrity out of fear. This type of service can co-exist with conventional consumption of gaming.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

This sort of behaviour won't be a surprise to MS: they will expect it and have forecast for it, no doubt. Sure, you and I don't understand how it's worthwhile - but you and I aren't a successful trillion-dollar company.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
1) because we all know why

2) some have a fear that if this becomes very successful then in the future subscription services will be the only way in order to play games.

3) Some fear that future dev payment will be tied to time spent playing, which will then cause:

a) A shift in type of games available
b) unnecessary padding and bloated games

4) Payment for devs go the Spotify route, where big ass publishers get a lot of money and devs get pennies

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Why do we have so many idiots snarkily declaring "but people said gamepass is bad" posts as if this is no disproven or something.... Like what's that about? Goddamn some posters on ERA just make this place unreadable. It's like how do you not understand these most basic arguments put forth.
As smaller developers the repercussion/fears of the habits and view on the value of games that gamepass might spread among users is very real regardless of how favorable the conditions currently are when MS is willing to take the hit for the program. It's a long term view with real arguments.
For customers though gamepass is indisputably great but don't be a fucking selfish dick and disregard the concerns developers have just cause you're saving money.

And if you don't believe this to be a thing maybe take a look at the mobile market where clearly the monetization models put fourth have greatly influenced and conditioned its user base towards certain monetization schemes which have made certain types of games a lot more prevalent than others.

Last edited:

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think that XGP can grow with more higher-profile episodic games launched on the service. Thief of Thieves is a good game that has me interested in future episodes. I'm much more likely to buy subsequent episodic seasons than not, having played (and enjoyed) the game already.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I bump that percentage a bunch. I've played 30 games on game pass since April. Out of these, 27 are completed (credits or similar), 9 games that I had considered buying but never got to and 21 games that I tried just because I could. Some games were outside genres I normally play (the first I tried was Forza Horizon 4 and loved it!). I wish that games would kinda list the length of the games, since I like to play more games that are somewhat shorter (~5 hours)

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
For whatever reason, I bought GamePass for PC, installed three games, never played them, and then four months passed.

Outer Worlds will change that at least