• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and black men as well. But gamers will whine and be racist like they've shown before when it's s female lead or like BFV. Then you'll get the can't relate people trying to hide their thinly veiled racism.

Oct 25, 2017
What's my ulterior motive for wanting more Latina women in games? OP made a list of white women, none of them were Latina. Their point about every female protag being white is entirely true, and entirely relevant to my want for more Latina or native American representation, or anyone else wanting their race represented. Again, what's my ulterior motive?
Did I say you had one? No. If you made a thread about wanting more Latina and Native American representation, is this post below going to help with that? "Don't ask for one race, ask for all?" Should I accuse you of erasing other marginalized groups because you asked for Latina representation. Just because you were specific with what you wanted for an unrepresented group?

Thank God someone said it.

It gets really frustrating when gamers use "black ppl" as a blanket term for all POC. I know their intentions are pure, but in asking for diversity, you don't need to erase other marginalized groups out of the discussion.

Just something to bear in mind.

.....Like you did in the first place?
That's not what happened.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general we need more diversity in protagonists. Seems like it's hard to stray away from the typical macho revenge clichés in almost any game that isn't extremely story-heavy and relatively light on gameplay (a là Life Is Strange), as if battling this giant evil, trying to save someone or revenge are like the only motivating factors one can start a quest for, and to do so you need to be a skilled male combatant or a masculine girl. There are exceptions, far more than some decades ago, but more diversity is needed, and not just in regards to the colour of skin.

YuriCloud3

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I agree. And please dev put fat people too. I almost never seen any fat guy or lady leading a game recently

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Did I say you had one? No. If you made a thread about wanting more Latina and Native American representation, is this post below going to help with that? "Don't ask for one race, ask for all?" Should I accuse you of erasing other marginalized groups because you asked for Latina representation. Just because you were specific with what you wanted for an unrepresented group?

What? For anyone who can't be bothered to go through the thread:

"People talking about representation for other races have ulterior motives"
You: "thank you! They think we can't see through that."
Me: "what's my ulterior motive for talking about Latina representation?"
You: "no I never said that."

I've already said I agree that we need more black women, but I'm also not going to add that we need to see more native American and Latin women. If you think I have an ulterior motive, feel free to tell me what it is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Already mentioned it in the OP. That game came out FIVE years ago and the developers haven't had a black women lead in their games since - nor has anybody else in the mainstream space. It's literally a wasteland out here.

Uncharted Lost Legacy and Dishonored Death of the Outsider are quite big for you to ignore like this

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Why is it about black and not about just people of color or more ethnicity as a whole? Not even trying to be inflammatory here, been a few threads lately where I have thought this, we need more diversity in general but yeah I agree

Because no one is more marginalized than the black woman on this planet. PoC is a catch-all phrase meant to blanket talk everyone and it ultimately serves to undermine black people and even in this topic people were too quick to dismiss the notion the TC brought up.

Absolutely black women should be featured more as the main protagonists and even as the antagonist going forward.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017

I've already said I agree that we need more black women, but I'm also not going to add that we need to see more native American and Latin women. If you think I have an ulterior motive, feel free to tell me what it is.
It's cause you're not directly championing the issue at hand, any discussion of additional issues detracts the impact from the OPs statement.

Or I presume that's the argument anyway, I agree with you after all.

All of us here agree on diversity all round.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it about black and not about just people of color or more ethnicity as a whole? Not even trying to be inflammatory here, been a few threads lately where I have thought this, we need more diversity in general but yeah I agree
I agree with you op 100%. Danm this thread went to shit on the first post, black people can't have shit around here sometimes.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
It's cause you're not directly championing the issue at hand, any discussion of additional issues detracts the impact from the OPs statement.

Or I presume that's the argument anyway, I agree with you after all.

All of us here agree on diversity all round.
Considering the title is "black women" but the OP says: "Black and brown women" I'm not sure what I'm allowed to discuss.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
How is demanding more Black and African decent people in games racist towards other ethnic groups? What a silly thing to take away from the OP.

Yes, please on yhis subject. I would love a strong black female lead in way more games. 1 every 10 years ain't even remotely acceptable.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A follow up for AC Origins with Aya would have been amazing. Missed opportunity.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Well luckily we are getting Kassandra with Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Mediterraneans, particularly olive skinned people such as the Greeks, Southern Italians and Sicilians, southern Spaniards, Berbers, the Levantine peoples, etc are not well represented in media and are typically stereotyped as mafia bosses or shifty people and such. Hopefully Kassandra proves to be a well rounded character.

Last edited:

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Strange Brigade deserves credit for a lot of things gameplay, but also for Nalangu Rushida one of the four main characters and the default choice when you start up.

Strange_Brigade_Members.jpg

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Its always that though isnt it ? A zero sum game. Ive seen this brought up a number of times and you cant begin to imagine how incredibly racist this community comes off to asians and brown folk at times.

"Get your own thread ! this is a white people black people zone ."

I wonder why so many hide under the guise of diversity, progressiveness and growth when youre just asking for a big game/movie led by someone who looks somewhat like you.
This^

If game developers went for diversity in general then I bet we'd have more black protagonists compared to the usual white-black.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Well I agree with the OP.

I also want more diversity in general but I find the faux backlash in that the OP can't be specific without marginalizing other minorities to be disengenuous. The desires aren't mutually exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017

Then what are you going after me for because I still did not say that. Just saying.

This is the kind of post I'm agreeing with.

Well I agree with the OP.

I also want more diversity in general but I find the faux backlash in that the OP can't be specific without marginalizing other minorities to be disengenuous. The desires aren't mutually exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
It's always funny, but frustrating, to see people try to deflect from the main point made in this discussion. Literally goes hand in hand with OP's last sentence.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
Imma just leave these two posts together.
Cool, no self awareness at all even after denying your own statements after being shown them. Keep being curt tho, that's nice.

Ulterior motives, give me a break. You're disingenuous at best and glib at worst; not to mention hypocritical earlier in the thread.

Ignored.

Last edited:

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I always make a black woman when I'm given a character creator in a game. I'm a man and I'm half black, but I pass for white so I'm definitely not making characters that look like me. I'll never understand that argument that players need characters to look like them. So weird to me.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
-_-

Death of the outsider is already mentioned in my OP.

Nadine is not the protagonist of LL

If you know about death of the outsider why did you say "its been five years since and we never had anything else"? Also why are you disqualifying chloe?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely! I'd love more games with black women protagonists. I really enjoy playing games and reading books about people different than myself.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been saying and asking for this for the last half a decade.

Back on gaf posters would pat themselves/ourselves on the back and throw a mission accomplished party for diversity whenever the latest redhead lady protag was revealed.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. We need more black females as leads. Nadine was awesome, I wish Naughty Dog would let us play as her. Good thing I can choose her in the multiplayer.

Last edited:

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
clementine-always-remembers.jpg

(Shame about the timing, huh?)

But yeah, sure, more wouldn't hurt.

Good fucking luck getting it to happen any time soon though. Publishers know they risk a backlash, either from the anti-SJW crowd for "forced diversity" or from the social justice crowd for not portraying minorities correctly. They also know that games sell just fine with white/male protagonists.

OP
OP
Vela

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I've been saying and asking for this for the last half a decade.

Back on gaf posters would pat themselves/ourselves on the back and throw a mission accomplished party for diversity whenever the latest redhead lady protag was revealed.

What is it with redheaded white women in games? Remedy's Control had the same thing, Meryl from MGS had it, Aloy, Joanna Dark, Nariko in Heavenly Sword, Lilith in Borderlands, etc.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I find it disheartening that indigenous people and Indigenous American/ Canadian characters are frequently and completely glossed over in discussions of this nature. The original colonial wound was wrought by the systemic destruction of these people; a wound for which almost no nations or dominant cultures have apologized. In a decade of gaming I can think of maybe one instance of indigenous lead representation—Devlin Roe (spelling?)—from inFamous. A female indigenous character that wasn't a tokenistic shaman or Pocahontas-style love interest could surely never be found in gaming's annals. That any grievances regarding a lack of representation of this sort aren't acknowledged in most racially-charged debates is doubly sad. There's a complete lack of awareness and a focused disregard toward indigenous people, where if we acknowledge their claims, we therefore invalidate or lessen the importance of our own, more current and topical issues.

This isn't to derail the thread, which is important if not messaged in the most constructive way (I understand what the OP was trying to say, though I see why some took umbrage). That said, I think there's a separate discussion that should occur on indigenous representation, and one perhaps on inclusion in general: how much to force, what to force, and where to force it.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
What is it with redheaded white women in games? Remedy's Control had the same thing, Meryl from MGS had it, Aloy, Joanna Dark, Nariko in Heavenly Sword, Lilith in Borderlands, etc.

Remedy at least gets the "excuse" of basing all their characters on their models. Speaking of Borderlands, TPS had Aurelia, if a game with multiple possible protagonists counts.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I agree but please no forced black protagonists in games where it doesn't make sense just for the sake of being inclusive.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Why anyone would say no to a new Uncharted trilogy starring Nadine is beyond me.

Naughty Dog, pls respond.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Oh and re: red headed white women in games and fiction. It's a trope that's grown over the past decade with the statistical rarity and 'uniqueness' of red hair implying magical powers or inheritance. I'm guilty of creating a character of that sort, though she was directly inspired from the Celtic figure The Morrigan (her name is actually Morigan). Otherwise I write a tremendously diverse and coloured cast of characters.