• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Apparently Grip is getting a vinyl release:

Collectors-Edition-Art.jpg

"We're super excited to have Hospital Records on board, bringing their industry-leading line-up to GRIP: Combat Racing and joining forces with the rest of our great soundtrack roster," said Chris Mallinson, Game Director for GRIP: Combat Racing. "We think players will love pumping the huge tunes we've got in the game."

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Brand confusion/dilution of quality; potentially lower sales; competition...

So DD and the license holders answer is to fold like a pack of cards and let the bootleg vinyl have the market instead of i dunno issuing a cease and desist etc......seems a bit counter productive.

Im sure DD holds enough clout and quality reputation in the retro videogame vinyl market to easily over come the sales of this bootleg......heck theres been a good number of DD past catalogue that has seen vinyl releases from bootleg vinyl long before this and thats never stopped them before.....as the quality of DD releases has all been that much higher, so whats changed this time around

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Grip is getting a vinyl release:

Collectors-Edition-Art.jpg

"We're super excited to have Hospital Records on board, bringing their industry-leading line-up to GRIP: Combat Racing and joining forces with the rest of our great soundtrack roster," said Chris Mallinson, Game Director for GRIP: Combat Racing. "We think players will love pumping the huge tunes we've got in the game."

Hell yes, more Hosptial goodness! I remember when the GRIP Kickstarter launched, they mentioned having dnb artists like Technical Itch on the soundtrack, which is one of the reasons I backed it back then. Glad to see they're trying to keep that going. Definitely getting this.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
It is really strange though, because how likely is it that a bootleg Ecco release has the reach and exposure that a fresh Data Discs release (with Sega's promotional help) has? The two of them on twitter, plus Mondo for US distribution makes it easy to overshadow any prominent bootleg. It doesn't add up.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Wow... there are bootlegs records? How does that even work?

Especially the VGM community is rampant with them. It's not that hard really, a person sends music files to the plant's engineering team, they master it and press it. It's not legal, but also not monitored enough to make it impossible.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree the issues I listed are very "corporate" and likely anyone with any interest would probably know the difference between a DD release and a bootleg and want to support official releases.
Most of the numbers given for the bootlegs are relatively small with no outside distribution. If you don't know, you don't know.
I think it sucks that bootlegs are restricting official releases.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it sucks that bootlegs are restricting official releases.
This is the first time I've ever seen bootlegs being cited (in any genre or sub genre) as a reason to pre-halt production as in, it sounds stupid as hell and there's probably other reasons.

But this is not the site to discuss piracy of any kind.

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
mondocastle.jpg

Mondo teasing Castlevania Rondo and Symphony of the Night vinyl releases for next week. Finally!

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Symphony of the Night is probably the only record I'd begrudgingly pay ridiculous shipping costs to the UK for (IIRC Mondo is US distribution only right?)

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Symphony of the Night is probably the only record I'd begrudgingly pay ridiculous shipping costs to the UK for (IIRC Mondo is US distribution only right?)

All the previous Castlevania's have come over to EU resellers (vinyl-digital, Juno, NormanRecords etc.), usually within a couple weeks of the Mondo release. It's probably safe to wait.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
This looks delightful. Power disc slip mat and digital download are nice bonuses too. Picked one up.
Mine already shipped! Also, if anyone is interested in buying Night at the Woods at Ghost Ramp I would wait. They often put their preorders on sale and may not adjust the price of your preorder. They screwed me over on my preorder for a couple of records and I'll never preorder from them again.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Mondo just posted details about Rondo and Symphony of the Night vinyl:
https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-lp

SOTN_FC_1024x1024_0a156982-a4ba-4632-8b0f-998a73c2d431_1024x1024.jpg

allthreediscs_9609df39-7927-4b80-a904-d33f446b1765_1024x1024.jpg

CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT - ORIGINAL VIDEO GAME SOUNDTRACK 2XLP. Composed by Konami Kukeiha Club. Artwork by Jasmin Darnell. Available on three different colorways: 2X 180 Gram Black, Gold, and Bone (limited to 1,000 copies), 2X 180 Gram Bone / Silver Swirl with White splatter, and 2X 180 Gram Translucent Red colored vinyl. Expected to Ship Early November 2018.$35

Mondo, in partnership with Konami, is proud to present the soundtrack to one of the most iconic and important video games of all time: CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT.

Originally released for the Playstation 2, SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT is considered one of the most essential video games of all time and one of the parents of the genre now known as 'Metroidvania.' The story follows Alucard, the son of Dracula, directly after the events of RONDO OF BLOOD, and his investigation into the sudden reappearance of his father's castle.

This double LP features 41 tracks from the game (including 7 bonus tracks from the Sega Saturn version of the game) all remastered for vinyl and featuring all new original artwork by Jasmin Darnell. Available on three different colorways: 2X 180 Gram Black, Gold, and Bone (limited to 1,000 copies), 2X 180 Gram Bone / Silver Swirl with White Splatter, and 2X 180 Gram Translucent Red colored vinyl.
SOTN_GATE_cropped_1024x1024.jpg

RONDO_FC_1024x1024_3b9ae297-38b9-4a96-a6dc-748ecba5befa_1024x1024.jpg

CASTLEVANIA: RONDO OF BLOOD / DRACULA X - ORIGINAL VIDEO GAME SOUNDTRACK 2XLP. Music by Konami Kukeiha Club. Artwork by Oliver Barrett. Pressed on 2X 180 Gram Colored vinyl (Disc 1: Blue with Black Splatter and Disc 2: Red with Black Splatter). Expected to Ship Early November 2018. $35

Mondo is thrilled to premiere the next in our on-going CASTLEVANIA soundtrack series with the PC-Engine title CASTLEVANIA: RONDO OF BLOOD, and the game's Super Nintendo port CASTLEVANIA: DRACULA X.

Originally released only in Japan on the PC-Engine (a system known in the US as the TurboGrafx-16), RONDO OF BLOOD is one of the most widely missed chapters of the CASTLEVANIA saga. Better known now as the "prequel" to the hugely popular and influential title CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT (the first level of which is a re-creation of the final battle of RONDO OF BLOOD). The story follows Richter Belmont, descendent of Simon and Trevor, on his journey to save his girlfriend and her little sister Maria from the clutches of Dracula.

The game was eventually ported to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System a few years later but due to the limitations of the hardware, the port of RONDO OF BLOOD was re-made and re-named CASTLEVANIA: DRACULA X - a streamlined and more linear version of the game, featuring a soundtrack better suited to the system's capabilities.

Featuring artwork by Oliver Barrett and pressed on 2X 180 Gram vinyl (Disc 1: Blue with Black Splatter and Disc 2: Red with Black Splatter).
6--Rondo_of_Blood_1024x1024_c1381581-ded4-4bf2-aa04-e63c0ad1ef16_1024x1024.jpg

Reissues of their other CV soundtracks are back in stock on Wednesday, too!

I know he clearly has an effeminate look but that Alucard cover illustration is pushing it.
The other artwork and the Rondo cover is pretty great, though.

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm being stupid, shipping to the UK will only be $15 (I just added 2 random LPs from the site to test it) which is ace. Definitely getting both!

Anybody know if Mondo releases come with a digital download code?

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I like both artworks thankfully, though I think Symphony would be improved without the red boarder.

I'll be going for the red vinyl out of the three choices.

Unless I'm being stupid, shipping to the UK will only be $15 (I just added 2 random LPs from the site to test it) which is ace. Definitely getting both!

Import fees can be killer, I've been burnt importing Mondo's before. They'll be onsale in the UK within a few weeks normally unless you're really set on the limited colour option.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mondo just posted details about Rondo and Symphony of the Night vinyl:
https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-lp

Reissues of their other CV soundtracks are back in stock on Wednesday, too!

I know he clearly has an effeminate look but that Alucard cover illustration is pushing it.
The other artwork and the Rondo cover is pretty great, though.
Noooo I'm on holiday this week... I think 1pm Wednesday is 7pm in Edinburgh, right!?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017

Anybody know if Mondo releases come with a digital download code?

The only one from them I've bought was Katamari and I don't recall a code being in the package... can't say I looked though either.

Definitely grabbing SotN! I'm not sure which style I'll get though... I don't really care for the LE one much so I might just get the bone/silvery one.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
The CV restocks reminded me (a) how amazing SCIV sounds on vinyl and (b) how absolutely dreadful the cover art is for that release.

In general the art has been all across the board for these but in terms of the sound quality I've been very happy overall with 1-4.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
When Xenogears comes today I'll have eight game soundtracks on vinyl and still no record player.

It's getting a bit silly. I'm definitely stopping until I can rationalize picking up a record player and all I need to go with it.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
I wonder what next for Mondo and Konami. It's weird that after SH1 release, we haven't saw SH2/SH3/SH4 yet.

Maybe next year, it will be the 20th anniversary for franchise.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
When Xenogears comes today I'll have eight game soundtracks on vinyl and still no record player.

It's getting a bit silly. I'm definitely stopping until I can rationalize picking up a record player and all I need to go with it.
You have to start enjoying it at some point. I think I had about 30 records before I really started listening to them. I have a bad habit of purchasing games and movies that I never get to but I've been slowly getting through listening to my vinyl collection and it's been a blast.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017

I was exactly like you until I got my record player a few weeks ago. Don't worry. It feels silly but man I'm so happy I didn't miss those records I bought now that I have a player.

Definitely try to get a player soon. I'm one of those people that really ever listened to music when I was driving but now I sit in my theater room listening to my records all the time.

Last edited:

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's a CD release but maybe of interest to some...

0014446708_107mc24.jpg

From Bandcamp:
The seventh installment of the Prescription for Sleep: Game Music Lullabies comes as Prescription for Sleep: Celeste. It features Metal Gear Solid and Bayonetta composer Norihiko Hibino on saxophone and Etrian Odyssey and PersonaQ performer AYAKI on piano as GENTLE LOVE, joined for the first time in the series by guest violinist maiko and the composer of Celeste, Lena Raine, acting as co-producer.

Game soundtrack of the year for me so far, interesting to see what other composers can do with it. Obviously Celeste is on vinyl proper via Ship to Shore.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Got the limited copy SOTN version. Wish it wasn't the worst colorway though, the other two are a lot nicer.

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Got mine, went with Red for SotN because the tri-colour looked terrible. Red was the most aesthetic for me, could care less about exclusivity, etc...