• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
There has been a big resurgence in vinyl records as collectors items. CD's are dead compared to digital/streaming media, but the vinyl record has found a new life during this era of media. Sound quality is often great, you can select tracks, coloured vinyl and big cover art with gatefold sleeves is a thing of beauty. I don't see C-cassettes or MiniDisc doing a return but vinyl and digital music can coexist.

Movie soundtracks on vinyl have never died and we've had a steady amount of great VGM released on vinyl as well!

Most of this stuff is very limited and expensive, but cool as hell as collectables.

Check lists of stuff available(released):
Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Video-Game-Music-on-Vinyl/196505
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_soundtracks_released_on_vinyl

List of Upcoming/Rumoured titles:
https://blipblop.net/upcoming-releases/

Check this selection of under 500$ record players:
https://imgur.com/a/u7Bey

What items you have in your collection? Any lost gems?

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought my first vinyls yesterday: the limited edition of the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack.

I do not have anything to play vinyls on, however. Recommendations?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes! I was looking for this thread. Glad to see it's here.

I received my Stardew Valley LP from Fangamer last week and I love it. It looks absolutely incredible. I just checked and saw that it's still available, so make sure to get it if you don't have it yet.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yay!

I'm still waiting for my Chime# vinyl. There were a couple of people in the old thread before shit went down that said they finally got theirs so hopefully mine turns up this week...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2- I see you in my restless dreams...

Also Gunstar Heroes. Never played the game but that sound is ACES. Oh my am I excited to procure it in the future.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
First thread I subscribed to, naturally. :)

On topic: Furi OST is so damn good. More people need to own this.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! Glad to see this thread.

Gentle reminder from an old man fighting a losing battle: vinyl is the plural for vinyl.

Silent Hill 2- I see you in my restless dreams...

Also Gunstar Heroes. Never played the game but that sound is ACES. Oh my am I excited to procure it in the future.

Gunstar soundtrack is one of the best MegaDrive soundtracks for sure, and it's also one of the best games of its genre, so I recommend giving it a spin if you have any fondness at all for run n guns.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gunstar soundtrack is one of the best MegaDrive soundtracks for sure, and it's also one of the best games of its genre, so I recommend giving it a spin if you have any fondness at all for run n guns.
Well looks like I'll be playing something besides Metal Slug 3 for the tenth time this month, thanks for the recommendation!

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting on that Nier boxset to arrive :P~~~

Screen-Shot-2017-09-19-at-10.50.20-PM.png

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have been all over Automata if a) I had the funds :lol and b) they chose better tracks! I'm more of an atmospheres person than the rocking stuff on those selections. Ah well.

Beautiful art nonetheless.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Well looks like I'll be playing something besides Metal Slug 3 for the tenth time this month, thanks for the recommendation!

Oh boy if you like Metal Slug, you'll dig Gunstar Heroes. It's probably the best designed-for-console run'n'gun out there. Full of ideas, tons of weapon combinations, bosses for days, amazing music... pardon the pun but it's a real Treasure.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Still waiting on Silent Hill 2 or Symphony of the Night from Mondo, every Monday is a frantic dash to the inbox to see their Music Weekly's.

Last game soundtrack I picked up was their Silent Hill release (which was phenomenal) but my latest pickup was the music of Twin Peaks (all the licensed tracks from the new season)

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously need to see if I can get the halo wars limited edition soundtrack. Thing looks beautiful on red vinyl

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Last vinyl purchased was Metal Slug and I'm hoping the rest of the series get a vinyl release from DD. I started collecting vinyl roughly 5 months ago and it has grown to about 25+. I picked up Dark Souls 3 over at Think Geek, so in the coming weeks I'll be grabbing the other two.

I am looking to buy older vinyl from games and flexi Japanese releases mostly. I love the obscurity! I have about 3 flexi discs of compilation tracks, but that's it.

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If any New England-ERA knows of Newbury Comics, they're carrying select Data Disc, Mondo, and other releases (Far Cry 5, Far Cry Primal, Halo, etc.). Few weeks ago I purchased The Alchemist & Oh No Present Welcome to Los Santos for the cheap.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I bought my first vinyls yesterday: the limited edition of the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack.

Thank you so much for making me aware of this! I'm surprised it was still available but I managed to get an order in. $44 with shipping included to the UK. I don't have a player recommendation based on first-hand experience as I'm one of those people who is collecting vinyl before even owning one, but I have often seen the Audio Technica LP60 or LP120 mentioned as good starter players. Might be worth looking into them.

I almost pre-ordered the Nier box set earlier but I'm doing my best to restrict my purchases to soundtracks I genuinely love, and while I have enjoyed many of the Nier tracks I've heard, I haven't even played the games yet. Buying them would feel a little disingenuous, I suppose. I think the only soundtracks I'm holding out for at this point are Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid (if it's ever issued) and Mass Effect when it's not an absurd price.

Spwni

Oct 27, 2017
Konami has basically one of the worst reputations in the industry at the moment but man I love how they are just all aboard the vinyl train.

I bet they're happy licensing out the properties as they sure as hell don't do anything with them.

That said, just picked Contra and Castlevania II from mail yesterday. Got them from Norman Records as they had a soundtrack sale and managed to pick the last copies of both under £20/record. My only gripe with Mondo releases is the original art created for them as I would prefer having original art from the games - Super Castlevania's cover is just so bland and doesn't really scream "Castlevania". I have to admit the art on Contra and Castlevania II records is ok.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up pre-ordering the NieR & NieR: Automata Box Set, receiving my VA11 HALL-A Vinyl Set (so nice!), and deciding to get the Transistor Milky White Vinyl Set.

You got me guys, you got me.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
still wishing i had $ for Panzer Dragoon, it's the last data-discs one i'm after

i mean i adore OutRun but they could've combined a few of those, honestly

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to know we got rpbtz up in here! And everyone else of course.

@bozo I wish I had Contra III in my posession, it's currently tied up with an order of the Jaws 2LP that's been delayed. Ah well! It will be worth the wait.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see this thread back in action. Nice OP and title! Was posting as RaidenZR in a previous life, but trying on a new name.

On topic- Kid Dracula looks like good fun. Will be getting that. Now, someone convince me to grit my teeth and empty my wallet for Cuphead...

rpbtz

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a new(-ish) label called Curator will be launching a Kickstarter for a remastered version of the OST to Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo on different formats including vinyl, which will also feature new contributions from Jim Guthrie, Danny Baranowsky, Ace Waters and more. It should go up on November 1st. Teaser tracks and Kickstarter teaser on their page here: https://curator.audio/

On the topic of Kickstarters Materia Collective should be launching a new one soon for an orchestral Castlevania album, which will also have a vinyl option.

Glad to know we got rpbtz up in here! And everyone else of course

Glad to be here with the rest of you as well :)

Now, someone convince me to grit my teeth and empty my wallet for Cuphead...

I bought it and despite it being a tad too pricey imo it is a really, really nice package. I'm quite happy with the pressing quality as well. I saw someone on Discogs saying they had issues with their copy, but mine plays perfectly.

Something that might soften the blow to the wallet is the current Humble Day Of The Devs bundle - the $9 tier includes a 20% off voucher for iam8bit that's valid until the end of the year: https://www.humblebundle.com/day-of-the-devs-2017

Radirgy

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well throw this one out there for anyone interested.

TECHNOuchi still needs reserves to fund the vinyl release of ChainDive -Arrangements-
https://qrates.com/artists/missingsoul/items/14377

ChainDive is a little known action game on the PS2 which he and Hideyuki Eto composed for back in 2003. I personally consider it Yuji's best work. The game has never had an official soundtrack despite interest from him (to release one) and fans of his music, due to the game's poor sales and some licensing issues crap. So this is better than nothing.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it and despite it being a tad too pricey imo it is a really, really nice package. I'm quite happy with the pressing quality as well. I saw someone on Discogs saying they had issues with their copy, but mine plays perfectly.

Something that might soften the blow to the wallet is the current Humble Day Of The Devs bundle - the $9 tier includes a 20% off voucher for iam8bit that's valid until the end of the year: https://www.humblebundle.com/day-of-the-devs-2017

Yeah, I saw you mention that in the VGM vinyl Discord the other day. I quickly considered doing just that but it's not that good of a deal for me personally since 1) I only game on PC occasionally, if not rarely and 2) I already own many of games I would want on PC or other systems.

I'm still thinking about it, though. And iam8bit's automated emailer has let me know it's sitting in my cart two times now.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to the Cuphead soundtrack and it is so fucking delicious, just really wonderful music. I can't wait to play the game but I'm eyeing the set as well, despite the price gouging absurdity of it all.

Then again, I'll probably just burn a CD of it and be done with it at the rate they have sales, lol.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Looks like a new(-ish) label called Curator will be launching a Kickstarter for a remastered version of the OST to Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo on different formats including vinyl, which will also feature new contributions from Jim Guthrie, Danny Baranowsky, Ace Waters and more. It should go up on November 1st. Teaser tracks and Kickstarter teaser on their page here: https://curator.audio/

This is oddly really exciting to me. I spent dozens of hours with putt putt as a kid. Probably explains my love for adventure games and visual novels so much. Hoping that this KS is reasonable with its prices.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made a standard-non game soundtrack vinyl thread (like the Stuck in the Past from that other forum)? I'm happy to if no one else has dibs.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone order and receive the Cuphead vinyl from Amazon? I just got mine, wondering if there was any catch between ordering it there vs iam8bit.

rpbtz

Oct 26, 2017
Data Discs will be having a leftover sale tomorrow at 5PM UK time. They'll have copies of the following titles:
DNZlsyEW4AETKKB.jpg

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Phew, thankfully I have everything I want there. My wallet is safe. Anyone who's interested in Panzer Dragoon should jump on that Limited Edition, it's probably my favourite looking Ltd release by them, it really looks amazing in person.