• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/hCfr5eCtLao

Paid Nintendo Switch Online members can buy a pair of Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers and redeem each one for a digital game in the voucher catalog to score savings!

Fan favorites like Splatoon 3, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, and many more are included.

Video is unlisted, so I think it wasn't supposed to go up yet. Vouchers only left the Americas territory whereas Europe and Japan still have them and never lost them.

Dec 2, 2020
I use this deal all the time (in the UK). £42 per digital game at launch is amazing value versus when I buy at launch on PS5 and the first party games are £70 a pop...

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Way better to have them than not, but between them getting pulled, the limited discount, the one-year expiry date, and the Nintendo Online Required to Purchase and Redeem req, these have always been such a thin, miserly fucking attempt at customer service.

EDIT: aaaand set to private.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It's strange that they ever left in the Americas, and only the Americas.
I've always thought it was because the US had a very high digital adoption rate and they were mostly used to get other countries to start going digital. I think they're bringing it back because their game releases seem like they're going to slow down after Zelda and this is an easy way to generate more revenue without discounting the games.

Oct 27, 2017
Vouchers + a Direct this week? Hold me yall

I've always thought it was because the US had a very high digital adoption rate and they were mostly used to get other countries to start going digital. I think they're bringing it back because their game releases seem like they're going to slow down after Zelda and this is an easy way to generate more revenue without discounting the games.
Then wouldn't it be the exact opposite? Why would you remove something that's encouraging people to buy more digitally? It's not like the savings are eating much into Nintendo's profits. These games have LONG since broken even and everything spurning on sales is just extra. Although I've heard that they removed it because US retailers were often matching the sales anyway with physical copies so they weren't being used as much

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
If they bring this back, I'll buy Pokemon Scarlet immediately, and not sure what to use the other one on, probably Zelda.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Then wouldn't it be the exact opposite? Why would you remove something that's encouraging people to buy more digitally? It's not like the savings are eating much into Nintendo's profits.
If people are already buying digital you're just losing money by giving them the games for $50/ea. However, they can use vouchers to influence other regions that don't buy digital as often (Europe, Japan, etc) to switch to buying digital with vouchers. Idk just a theory I've had for why it's not a thing in NA.

These games have LONG since broken even and everything spurning on sales is just extra. Although I've heard that they removed it because US retailers were often matching the sales anyway with physical copies so they weren't being used as much
Oh interesting, I've never heard of that. My hypothesis was just Americans seem to have a higher digital % compared to other regions so no real reason to give them vouchers.

Oct 27, 2017
If people are already buying digital you're just losing money by giving them the games for $50/ea. However, they can use vouchers to influence other regions that don't buy digital as often (Europe, Japan, etc) to switch to buying digital with vouchers. Idk just a theory I've had for why it's not a thing in NA.
Yeah, but they're not really losing money. The whole point of sales is that after a game has recouped its costs everything after is pure profit. Most of these games have likely already broken even so if the increase in purchases from the vouches offsets the slight discount, then they make more overall. And because these aren't actual price drops to the games, Nintendo can still maintain the whole "our products don't ever decrease in value" image

Last edited:

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing attention to BotW still selling for $60 is almost diabolical but also good advertising.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I loved this when it was here and will definitely take advantage for Kirby in March.

Nov 21, 2017
Nice deal, but I'm too attached to physical games and my ability to resell at such a small loss. It's wild how much Nintendo games maintain their value. In the end I end up saving more doing that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Vouchers are amazing, I can't understand NoA.
Combined with the 10% gold coins rewards of the past 3 months, vouchers were very much worth it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Tears of the Kingdom launch discount, here I come!!

Actually if Sparks of Hope qualifies, I'll probably insta buy that too!

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Cereza and Metroid Prime on discount lets gooo (prime is not in the video I am just posting my excitement for possibilities)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if that means more big drops this year and maybe announced at the same direct that announces vouchers are back.

I'm sorta blanking on anything I'd want besides Tears and even that i'm honestly probably just gonna wait a while.