• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
GDC roundtable on unionization is about to start. John Brindle will be live tweeting the discussion.

Starting to see this pop up in a couple of my feeds; seems to have debuted along with GDC.

https://www.gameworkersunite.org/

WHY WE ARE ORGANIZING

Have you ever felt exploited by the game industry? Are you in a precarious situation? No job stability and in desperate need of support? Are you losing hope that you can work in a landscape you love at all?

Welcome to Game Workers Unite!

We are a currently-forming anonymous and horizontal organization of people dedicated to advocating for workers' rights and the crafting of a unionized games industry. We represent all workers in game development and we seek to increase the visibility of our cause through community building, sharing resources, and direct action. We seek to bring hope to and empower those suffering in this industry.

Game Workers Unite is attending GDC 2018 and has several direct action campaigns planned.

Site seems to still be coming together but at the moment they're soliciting stories of exploitation and harassment at game studios and passing out materials at GDC. I'm sure we'll get more info as the week continues.

Couple stories coming in with that hashtag already. Open in Twitter to read the whole thread.

Last edited:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
As someone in the industry (though admittedly not a dev) I welcome this with open arms.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Now let's see how the major publishers out there will try to keep their workers out of a union.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Can't see this happening in gaming. Too many kids out of college willing to work crazy hours for their dream industry.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

I hope they can expand to a sizable amount of affiliates so they can have a considerable impact in the working conditions of the industry.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Good. The industry needs this. It's gonna be tough as hell to get it in place though. Publishers are going to fight it hard.

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There is too many new workers looking for a job, this organization will just wipe out all this youth in favor of who is already in the industry.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This is desperately needed here's hoping it actually takes off and takes hold of enough people to remain viable

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Consider me legitimately surprised. I sincerely hope this leads to good results.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the executive director of the IGDA (International Game Developers Association) talked to USGamer about the game industry unionizing following their panel on the subject.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/igda-director-union-crunch-interview

I want to talk about your GDC talk this week, "Union now? Pros, cons and consequences of unionization." Specifically the talk synopsis mentions, "What unionization can mean for game developers including both good and bad." Can you explain that to me? What is the "bad" of unionization?

JM: So I think one of the challenges that game developers have is that we tend to think of game development in our region, and in our area. So for example a game developers union would by nature be very different than STJV in France which is the game developer's union in France. There are very different laws governing unions, there are very different cultural expectations. That would be very different from a union in South Korea. And South Korea for example just announced laws limiting the number of hours employees can work. So I think one of the things that I'm really looking forward to doing in that talk is to hopefully get people to think about what unionization means on a regional level but also on a global level. And if you unionize in one country what does that mean? Are there repercussions there? If you unionized just in one sector, so if you had a artist's union but not a programmer's union, what would that mean?

More on the site.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this backed by some shady ass "celebrity" or something? Was that a different thing?

Edit: Nevermind, that was a lobbyist group.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Kinda think thise launching it should be more public, but this seems to be at least a move in the right direction.

mugwhump

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I'm sure the big pubs will fight this tooth and nail though.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And there are plenty of studio heads willing to pay very little to those kids because they know they'll accept. And this is one of the reasons we need an union.

Not to mention half of those kids are actually just interns and are let go immediately following a season, but at least the resume lines exist, right?

Really glad this is happening.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yea! Long overdue! I hope they gain some serious traction and things start to change for the better for developers in the years to come.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wish them the best of luck. The industry needs it but will also fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Damn i was late on this. Wrote up an OP and everything, i'll just dump it here

Disclaimer: I'm a big lefty though relatively unexperienced in current day (as opposed to historical) labor movements

Looking around my twitter feed where a lot of my mates are at GDC and there looks to be a lot of unionising talk, more so than I usually recall. Kotaku has a holding article up and are promising a few more articles throughout the week, seems like a bit of a movement is organising.

p1uwodfzhk8tqtb6qjq4.jpg

Seperately looks like the International Game Developer Association had an interview with US Gamer where director Jen McLean discussed her GDC talk about unionisation. I'll let the interview speak for itself and I'll edit in the speech if it's online as well.

Jen McLean said:
I want to talk about your GDC talk this week, "Union now? Pros, cons and consequences of unionization." Specifically the talk synopsis mentions, "What unionization can mean for game developers including both good and bad." Can you explain that to me? What is the "bad" of unionization?

JM: So I think one of the challenges that game developers have is that we tend to think of game development in our region, and in our area. So for example a game developers union would by nature be very different than STJV in France which is the game developer's union in France. There are very different laws governing unions, there are very different cultural expectations. That would be very different from a union in South Korea. And South Korea for example just announced laws limiting the number of hours employees can work. So I think one of the things that I'm really looking forward to doing in that talk is to hopefully get people to think about what unionization means on a regional level but also on a global level. And if you unionize in one country what does that mean? Are there repercussions there? If you unionized just in one sector, so if you had a artist's union but not a programmer's union, what would that mean?

I imagine North America as a region is one of the larger regions for game developers. And we had in this past year high-profile layoffs and shutdowns from big companies—Visceral for example. It still feels like there's really no protection for developers that get laid off. There's always grassroots, Twitter campaigns like #GameJobs. Wouldn't a union protect developers from these occurrences?

JM: So I think it depends. We can't assume that there is one single cause of layoffs. So for example if you are a relatively small studio that has laid off a team, odds are you laid them off because you can't afford them anymore. A union's not going to change that, access to capital is going to change that. [emphasis added by OP] If you are EA shutting down Visceral it's for a different reason that's not necessarily access to capital it's because your relationship with your shareholders and how you are using capitals to further shareholder return on investment. It's a completely different situation... We tend to focus on the stories that get a lot of attention like Visceral, but we need more data.

Last I recall generally of unionisation was some offshoot discussion during the SAAG voice actor strikes where capital as usual tried to play devs against the VAs and their 'greedy unions' (lol) which kinda just highlighted for me that, as usual, game devs were getting fucked. I note the interview talks about game dev unions like STJV (Le Syndicat des Travailleurs et Travailleuses du Jeu Vidéo) in France. Obviously labor laws and requirements will vary from country to country, but are there other gamedev unions I'm missing?

Speaking of which, how's the unions in your field of business, era?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. I'm not in the industry, but if writers and actors can have a union, I think devs ought to have one too. The stories you hear coming from the top studios sound positively crushing if you ever want a life outside of work.

It's gonna be an uphill battle, for sure.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I'm for a union for game devs, but I'll await with baited breath for the first thread on "omg my favourite game is getting delayed over a strike".

Yep, this is going to happen, and more than once. And I pretty much predict some entitled asshole to bitch and whine about it regardless of the fact that these People are fighting against exploitation of the highest order ...

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Adding my voice in support of this. We know devs and game journos visit this site. Them seeing us normal folk support this should be encouraging at the very least!

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
All the best wishes for everyone who's trying to make this work.

You guys really deserve better conditions and workplace, so i hope this will be successful in the long term.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The industry direly needs it apparently, as corporate/crunch culture is extremely strong.

Good on them.

Feb 16, 2018
game development scheduling and revenue is an unreliable mess

i hope they're only targeting big publishers, not the other 99% of developers that need the ability to adjust staff as needed

exploitative publishers might represent a lot of revenue, but they're only a tiny fraction in terms of quantity of creative output

as a point of comparison, the software industry doesn't see much unionizing