• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Seems that in the last period the sales of Capcom games over Steam were higher than over SIE sales.

gamebiz.jp

カプコン、「Steam」経由の売上が急増 20年3月期は全体の売上の15.6%にあたる128億円に | gamebiz

カプコン<9697>は、2020年3月期において、Valveの運営する「Steam」経由の売上が急増したことを明らかにした。その売上高は128億8800万円となり、全体の売上に占める割合は15.6%となる。前の期(2019年3月期)は10%に満たなかった。これはソニー・インタラクティブエンタテインメント(SIE)経由の売上高85億8300万円を上回る水準だ。同社の決算報告によると、主力タイトル「…

Translation:

Capcom has revealed that sales via Valve's Steam have surged in the fiscal year ending March 2020. Its sales came in at 12.888 billion yen, representing 15.6% of total sales. In the previous fiscal year (ending March 2019), it was less than 10%. This is higher than the 8.583 billion yen in sales via Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE). According to the company's earnings report, its mainstay title "Monster Hunter World: Iceborn" was a big hit. Sales of "Devil May Cry 5", "Resident Evil 2", and "Monster Hunter: World" also increased.

I wonder if the chinese market plays a big role in that.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That's not surprising at all. Physical is still fairly big on consoles. But still, they're seeing an amazing growth. And that platform alone representing 15% of Capcom's total sales is fairly good.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No surprise. Monster Hunter World is a huge hit on PC, plus steam sales are 100% digital, which means more revenue for Capcom.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not like PC gamers have a choice but to buy these games digitally? But regardless, it's clear Steam has been doing very well for Capcom.

PC is a platform that can simply no longer be ignored. Unless you're Activision.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Well, Capcom has relatively smart regional pricing, a decent optimization and usually releases their games day and date with consoles (there're still exceptions like MHW of course). Obviously, Chinese market being PC oriented doesn't hurt either. In any case, I hope some of the Japanese companies who still didn't get the memo can realise from the success of Capcom and Sega that there's a significant audience for their games on PC.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The title says Steam > PSN (digital only), but the quote says Steam > SIE (retail+digital).

Which of the two is true?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Not a big surprise given how big Monster Hunter World is on PC. I also recently saw that Chinese customers alone have 800 million music subscriptions compared to 200 million Spotify users in the west. Steam is just huge in markets where consoles don't play a huge role.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The article says SIE was lower though.
I just calculated from this
They sold 4.95m physical units, accounting for JPY 12.9bn
3.25m physical units were for PS4 = 65.6%

65.6% of JPY 12.9B gives JPY 8.4bn sales on PS4 roughly

JPY 8.4bn (PS4 physical) + JPY 8.6bn (PSN) = JPY 17bn

Maybe I'm wrong but even if we only counted JPY 5bn for physical instead of 8.4, it's still higher

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I would imagine it refers to PSN sales only as SIE is the merchant that handles those transactions, while physical PS4 titles don't necessarily go through Sony.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Not like PC gamers have a choice but to buy these games digitally? But regardless, it's clear Steam has been doing very well for Capcom.

PC is a platform that can simply no longer be ignored. Unless you're Activision.

this seems weird. they had a choice. they voluntarily rejected it over the past many years...

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I'm wrong but even if we only counted JPY 5bn for physical instead of 8.4, it's still higher

Also if Steam was biggest platform for Capcom then having only 15.6% share (in the article) of total sales doesn't make sense. It would need to be way higher.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Nah it seems about right. It seems the article meant digital by SIE.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Do consoles even have regional pricing anymore? I know that here we pay equivalent of EU prices converted in Rubles.
Game devs can set their own regional pricing on consoles but as far as I know, there's no recommended regional pricing system like Steam has so it's up to the devs to manually set them and more often than not, they just seem to not bother. There's some onus on the console manufacturers to implement an automated regional pricing system like Steam so I'm not gonna lay all the blame on publishers. Still, I think they could just hire some people to compare Steam and console market prices and alter them accordingly.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
its mainstay title "Monster Hunter World: Iceborn" was a big hit.

Isn't Iceborne broken on PC? And it was released much later than consoles. It's a shame they haven't sorted that out when that audience is now a significant proportion of their revenue.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Let's say that digital sales account for 50% of total sales on PS4 (which is pretty much the norm nowadays), it means that Steam is just 4+ billion less than total PS4 sales. It's more or less in-line with results from other publishers, for example Ubisoft.

Do consoles even have regional pricing anymore? I know that here we pay equivalent of EU prices converted in Rubles.
Sony is the only one that supports regional pricing for me. However, the prices aren't that great nowadays.

They used to be very generous in early to mid PS4's life, like $30 for God of War at launch.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
this seems weird. they had a choice. they voluntarily rejected it over the past many years...

While true, let's not forget that publishers did everything possible to make owning a physical disc for PC games a way worse experience than digital with all manners of copy protection including tying keys to a single account.

At which point the only advantage of a retail copy is you don't have to use your credit card.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
With MS and Sony onboard, how long before Nintendo jumps in?
Never I think. Unlike MS that has tons of other business and also owns the OS where their PC games are played, and Sony that also has quite a bit of other areas, Nintendo is a games company, so they are more susceptible to not profiting from their own console.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Every Activision game is on PC except (for now) Crash (were the Switch omission is actually worse)

They also have some of the biggest PC games under the Blizzard umbrella so that statement is kind of false. That is unless you make the wrong statement that PC equals Steam

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Every Activision game is on PC except (for now) Crash (were the Switch omission is actually worse)

They also have some of the biggest PC games under the Blizzard umbrella so that statement is kind of false. That is unless you make the wrong statement that PC equals Steam
I was referring to the absence of CTR and Crash 4. And the year delay for both Crash & Spyro trilogies.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
So it means that both Steam and PSN sales combined only account for 25% of Capcom's total earnings ? Seems very low and unrealistic.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So it means that both Steam and PSN sales combined only account for 25% of Capcom's total earnings ? Seems very low and unrealistic.
Mobile
zfD6ZK0_d.jpg

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Never I think. Unlike MS that has tons of other business and also owns the OS where their PC games are played, and Sony that also has quite a bit of other areas, Nintendo is a games company, so they are more susceptible to not profiting from their own console.
Never say never lol.
Mario Is Missing! Deluxe HD Collection will hit Steam someday!

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Capcom has relatively smart regional pricing, a decent optimization and usually releases their games day and date with consoles (there're still exceptions like MHW of course). Obviously, Chinese market being PC oriented doesn't hurt either. In any case, I hope some of the Japanese companies who still didn't get the memo can realise from the success of Capcom and Sega that there's a significant audience for their games on PC.

Had relatively smart regional pricing. They've moved towards the same craziness as the rest of the big pubs, sadly.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to the absence of CTR and Crash 4. And the year delay for both Crash & Spyro trilogies.
Vicarious Visions obviously doesn't have the manpower to do all 4 systems at once for Crash 4, they may even lack the know how to do the Switch release. It may also be an issue on Toys for Bob's front and their availability to do the porting job.

CTR is Beenox so I'm nto sure why it's not on PC yet (I honestly thought it already was). But seeing how both Trilogies ended up as Humble Monthly games, It doesn't look like they were good performers on PC. This may explain Crash 4's absence and CTR missing the boat.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Vicarious Visions obviously doesn't have the manpower to do all 4 systems at once for Crash 4, they may even lack the know how to do the Switch release. It may also be an issue on Toys for Bob's front and their availability to do the porting job.

CTR is Beenox so I'm nto sure why it's not on PC yet (I honestly thought it already was). But seeing how both Trilogies ended up as Humble Monthly games, It doesn't look like they were good performers on PC. This may explain Crash 4's absence and CTR missing the boat.
Toys for Bob is developing Crash 4 btw, not VV.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
With MS and Sony onboard, how long before Nintendo jumps in?
They technically ported a few games to the Shield but they didn't release them in the West. The profit well from the hardware and the software and their development costs are lower, so they have even less reason to port to PC than Sony.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They technically ported a few games to the Shield but they didn't release them in the West. The profit well from the hardware and the software and their development costs are lower, so they have even less reason to port to PC than Sony.
Nintendo had nothing to do with those too, they sub-licensed them to Nvidia directly and they were released only in China.

The best shot at seeing anything Nintendo on PC would probably come from a licensing deal like that (old/emulated games, maybe region/store exclusive) with maybe Nvidia or Tencent. Slim chance but still a chance. Or maybe more instances with IP sold back to devs like the deal with Platinum for W101.