• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
OT4gOX5.png

This article from Gameblog.fr is a doozy. They spoke to various sources in the know about Kojima and Konami during MGSV's development. It touches on some things like how the concept of Survive originated in the development of MGSV as a zombie mode DLC (internally referred to as MGSV.5) and how Chapter 3 wouldn't have added anything meaningful to the story we ended up getting.

But what really caught my eye was some background on P.T

Obviously nothing is confirmed so take with a grain of salt. A quick TL;DR if you don't want to read the whole thing.
  • P.T was developed in secret by a small team and a very limited number of people knew it was going to be released
  • Important people at Konami who needed to know it existed did not know and first found out when it was announced at Gamescom 2014 alongside the public. This is apparantly the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to Kojima's relationship with Konami
  • Kojima (who was Vice President of Konami at the time) worked with Sony to create a shell company in order to publish P.T on PSN while most employees at Konami knew nothing about this
  • As a result, Konami PR found themselves having to answer questions from eager customers about a Silent Hills once the news came out that P.T was a playable teaser for a new SH game
  • One of the main reasons Kojima was fired from Konami was because he used part of MGSV's budget to develop P.T
  • Kojima didn't really have to report to people and his freedom within Konami at the time was a point of major tension between the two
  • The heat between Kojima and Konami is gone now and communication between them has resumed, an avenue of collaboration between KojiPro and Konami is possible
The full article is here: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/91090-revelations-sur-les-plans-de-kojima-pour-le-dlc-de-metal-gea

I had to machine translate but if there's some French Era users in here that wanna translate parts, feel free.

There is a very good video that talks about P.T and its development, and how doubts about pursuing big AAA experiences really seeped into Konami and the higher ups when they started achieving success with mobile, namely with Dragon Collection. The mentality being that they're making money every day with this low-cost mobile game while Kojima asks for millions to develop a new game engine, a new MGS, open multiple studios on the west coast of the States etc... so P.T really must have exaceberated the situation.

The producer on Dragon Collection went on to become President of Konami a few months before MGSV released and it was around then that Konami started leaving AAA behind, with him stating that they would be doubling down on mobile so I do think some of these claims have some sort of weight behind them.

I'll be honest though, I really do find it hard to believe that he managed to keep the game this much of a secret. I know he was VP and all but you're seriously telling me they had no idea what he was working on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God forbid he developed something everybody wanted.
I'm glad PT existed.

I look forward to trying to get it onto my future PS5.

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be careful with GI'd be careful with Gameblog but this is the most badass stuff ever if true

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"One of the main reasons Kojima was fired from Konami was because he used part of MGSV's budget to develop P.T"

Well. Sounds like he stole from Konami. You don't get to do whatever the fuck you want with money that isn't yours. Earned the firing as far as I am reading.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
don't trust gameblog
they're like our Daily Sun
Noted 👍

I do want to take this with a grain of salt, but I'm curious if any other insiders have heard similar things. Like I said in the OP, the notion of Kojima developing P.T behind Konami's back when he was already on for a new Silent Hill game seems absolutely ridiculous but the idea of Konami increasingly getting frustrated with him hemorrhaging money while mobile games were making bank seems really plausible tbh.

Kinda glad he's in a position where he can just do whatever now, the company culture at Konami seems pretty rigid though if the stuff he did was true, it kind of is out of pocket. They are a company at the end of the day and the only thing in mind are profits.

That bit about Konami and Kojima being cool now, other insiders as of late have been talking about that too.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it would be better to use that budget to finish MGS V instead

I doubt whatever funds he used to develop PT in 'secret' represented even a fraction of what was needed to finish MGSV.

I mean, you still gotta let your company know what you're doing.

Sure, and they fired him for it which is fair if true. But at the same time it is up to the company to be aware of what their employees/contractors are working on.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do we need some dumbshit made up P.T. rumor every six months or something?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If Kojima sacrificed MGSV's chapter 3/a big chunk of the game just to make P.T., I'm gonna be SO mad

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
brehs, if he stole money to make PT, he would be in jail

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
If this were the case, why wouldn't Konami mention this? Hardly seems like something that needs to be covered up and would have saved them a PR nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
It does explain how undercooked and unfinished phantom pain is. Only makes my opinion of Kojima sink further. I would have fired him too for that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to believe Konami would be willing to work again like the articles suggests with someone that did what this article alleges.

Just butting heads, going over budget, etc sure. Maybe that cools off. But like using allocated funds for secret projects doesn't seem like the type of thing that gets smoothed over.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I've always speculated if that were the case, but Konami couldn't have possibly not known about Silent Hills before that, could they?

It doesn't sound very believable, unless the article states that Silent Hills being led by Kojima was already in production and known by the higher ups in the company, and it's the demo itself that was the problem. But even then, if the game WAS already in pre-production, then I find it a little doubtful that they had to secretly use MGSV's budget to develop its demo.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
Gameblog is not really a very respected place as far as journalism go and they give no reason to believe their source is reliable.

With that said, the story is plausible.

If Kojima sacrificed MGSV's chapter 3/a big chunk of the game just to make P.T., I'm gonna be SO mad

The article basically says that there was no chapter 3 planned. Honestly I don't understand the myth around this chapter considering the story is completely wrapped up by the end of the game, aside from the Eli stuff.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If this were the case, why wouldn't Konami mention this? Hardly seems like something that needs to be covered up and would have saved them a PR nightmare.
Why would they air dirty laundry? Doesn't seem very in line with Japanese corporate culture.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda wild that he still managed to create one of the best horror experiences in secret from even his bosses lol.

If this is true of course. We just had an example of games journos making things up about game developers, so people in this thread shouldn't be so quick to throw Kojima under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.