• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
gccxbanner9vut3.png

Recent Subtitled Releases:

Ep. #239 - Go by Train! 64

Ep. #283 - Athena

Ep. #288 - Super Werewolf Chronicle WARWOLF

Ep. #297 - Castlevania Rondo of Blood (Part 1)

Ep. #298 - Castlevania Rondo of Blood (Part 2)

DVD Special Challenge - Resident Evil Director's Cut

Ep. #299 - The House of the Dead

Ep. #213 - China Warrior

Ep. #305 - Pokemon Snap

Ep. #253 - It's Bazar de Gozarre's Game, If You Please

Ep. #205 - Mole Mania

Ep. #249 - Photo Boy

Ep. #317 - The Legend of Zelda (Part 1 of 2)

Ep. #318 - The Legend of Zelda (Part 2 of 2)

Ep. #277 - Pac-Land

gamecenter20cx20listjdu9v.jpg

kacho_gifani.gif
What is GameCenter CX?

A Japanese TV series about the escapades of an employee (Shinya Arino, aka the "Kacho" or "Chief") of the fictional company "GameCenter CX". Each episode details his attempts at defeating one selected retro video game, usually over the course of a day, or sometimes longer. Arino, who is actually a comedian, portrays himself on the series as someone who is hopeless at most video games, though he claims to be skilled at certain genres. Whether he is actually any good or not, well, that's up to the viewer to decide.

During the course of an episode, there are various interludes where Arino is shown traveling across Japan, usually to an arcade (or "game center") suggested by a viewer of the series. Other humourous segments are also interspersed throughout an episode to offer a reprieve from the gaming action.

kacho_gifani.gif
How do I watch this thing?

The show has aired regularly on Fuji TV in Japan since 2003 and continues to this day. An English dubbed version of the series called "Retro Game Master" was briefly streamed online, but (to my knowledge?) is no longer available through legal means. Many episodes of the series have been subtitled and released online by fans; the group which had been best known for this has all but retired, but a new group has recently taken up the mantle and new releases are being posted regularly! For a listing of episodes and whether they have been subtitled, see here.

kacho_gifani.gif
Spinoffs and Specials

In addition to the main series, various special episodes have been released, such as Arino's trips to USA and Paris, and the live on-stage Super Mario 30th Anniversary special featuring Super Mario Maker. Nintendo has also collaborated with GCCX to release a number of episodes through their own services, obviously featuring various Nintendo games, both modern and classic. The Balloon Fight episode with the late Satoru Iwata is especially great, so give it a watch!

kacho_gifani.gif
Where do I start?

Basically anywhere is fine, so either ask for recommendations, or just look at the list and watch an episode whose featured game tickles your fancy. There is no need to start from the beginning. In fact, the first season is structured somewhat differently from the others, so you may want to start elsewhere to get a good idea of what the series is like.

kachoon3cuqb.png

In this house we appreciate Clov

Last edited:

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I love this man and love this show. This came from a time where let's play weren't even conceived. Pioneer show on TV no less.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the Shikoku special. I haven't laughed this hard in quite awhile.

It's been a bit since I've kept up with GCX; gotta do some backtracking and watch some preivous episodes. ^_^

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Arino is going to play the original DRAGON QUEST for the 250th episode.

Isn't it his favorite series ? I'm sure he beat it a bunch of times.

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...I wonder what they'll do to make that an interesting episode. The first DQ seems way too grindy and easy for the show.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Watching this thread for more Arino.

Guy never fails to put a smile on my face.

My favorite episode is the Tokimeki Memorial one, it's great.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always surprised when I turn on my Switch and see a new Arino video in the sidebar, seems like he's been doing a lot of those lately for Nintendo. Also makes it sad when you realize that there's so many new vids out there and translations have really slowed down.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Last Continue needs to be the official theme of Reset Era.

Thanks for the heads up btw. Will watch the new episodes tonight.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So happy to finally have an OT for this, the show is amazing!

Also, new episodes. \o/

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kacho... RESET!
What I wouldn't give for nice, official, translated DVD/bluray season sets. So sad. Anyway, glad this thread exists.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I need to make this a regular watch again. It's been awhile, but it has me smiling every time I watch it.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Kacho... RESET!
What I wouldn't give for nice, official, translated DVD/bluray season sets. So sad. Anyway, glad this thread exists.

There was that one Discotek release of those Kotaku localized episodes.
81yPAbvWaIL._SL1500_.jpg

But it's been long out of print.

I'm surprised Netflix hasn't attempted putting it on their service yet. They've worked with FujiTV before (Terrace House) but i guess they don't think nabbing the necessary rights for everything is worth the effort.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was that one Discotek release of those Kotaku localized episodes.
81yPAbvWaIL._SL1500_.jpg

But it's been long out of print.

I'm surprised Netflix hasn't attempted putting it on their service yet. They've worked with FujiTV before (Terrace House) but i guess they don't think nabbing the necessary rights for everything is worth the effort.
Oh I have that, it's solid. I want what Japan gets, though. And I suspect licensing is extremely tough for this show, hence the tepid attempts in the past.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
New episode translated
mod edit: do not post links to pirated materials

I believe the 5 min pre-show was also translated, but this is the full challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
New episode translated
mod edit: do not post links to pirated materials

I believe the 5 min pre-show was also translated, but this is the full challenge.
Wait wasn't the Mario Maker Live Challenge translated a long time ago? So the new release is just the pre-show?

edit: hm maybe this is different from on live on stage thing from a year or two back? That would be great if so!

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I had completely forgotten this show what with Trump, the GAF exodus, and the lull in fansubbed episodes! Thanks so much for the bump!

This show makes me so happy.

edit: I MISSED THREE EPISODES. HOORAY

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really feels like the translations are back, and alive. One of my favorite shows.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Kacho is the best, I think I've watched everything up to ep 150. Gotta get back to it soon.