• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Xbox-Series-X-2e81.jpg

The lack of Series X exclusives for the first year or so is certainly odd but it is not completely unprecedented. Nintendo released the Legend Of Zelda titles Twilight Princess and Breath Of The Wild on both new and old consoles. Despite owning a GameCube I bought a Wii on release day for Twilight Princess. I also bought Breath Of The Wild on Switch despite having a Wii U. (Although that was not at launch as I waited until Mario Odyssey was released.)

The console market is very cyclical, with platformer holders having to regrow their installed base every console generation. This leads to cyclical profits where a lot of money is invested in a new console and it takes a few years to get a return on investment and then a few years later the cycle restarts. The Xbox division is likely to be far more cyclic than other divisions within Microsoft and will not achieve the investors requirements of year-on-year growth because of these console cycles, whereas other Microsoft divisions will be able to provide continual grow.

I can easily see a structure where there are three Xbox consoles on the market at any one time and each has around a 10-year life. So every two to three years a new Xbox model is introduced and the bottom model stops being sold. This enables Microsoft to always have a premium $600+ machine (Series X) that is best in class but also a competitive mass market $400 model (Lockhart) and a budget $200 option (One X).

Combining Game Pass and xCloud would also ease the transition from owning local hardware to streaming. At the point a gamer's Xbox console no longer runs the latest games locally they may find that their Internet infrastructure has improved enough that playing the game via xCloud is good enough and they do not need to update their physical console.

With multiple Xbox models in one gen, and customer choices with game pass and xcloud, the author makes a good case imo. What do you think ERA?

Full article at GameCentral

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Thread title is misleading.

This isn't GameCentral's take. It's a sent-in letter. And it shows.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should really, really point out in your title OP that the article is from a reader... Which it says straight away if you click on your own link. They do this every weekend, which also means it is somewhat old.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think the industry needs to move forward en push the hardware and game graphics/physics and whatnot. So I'd like to see exclusive software on my brand new console that utilizes all of it's new features, while being able to play my current backlog.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Whether you disagree or agree with the topic of the thread, you could have at least given some sort of opinion whether it was one sentence or one paragraph, not drive by post "lol" and add nothing of value to the discussion. I literally clicked on the thread and your post was the only response for at least a minute or two, come on man.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't change the title. Maybe a mod can. If they don't mind doing it

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you posted a 4 day old article without understanding who exactly the author is which is explicitly stated right away... in the first two words.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
From my understanding it's more that consoles used to be a vehicle to the first party experiences and now Microsoft is using gamepass as the vehicle instead. You don't need the newest console to experience the gamepass vehicle so Microsoft doesn't need to be selling the series x as hard or with gimmicks. They just need to make a good console

But honestly barring a couple of anomolies most of the best console exclusives come out in years 4-7 of the console life cycle in my opinion

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
This seems wrong. I haven't heard anyone expect the series x to be above 600, and the writer skipped over the original Xbox one being the base model, not the Xbox one x. And is Lockhart even coming right now?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox ex is fine if the the specs they told me about in the next gen thread are true.

That SSD is gonna be life changing.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Word. This should be the road Switch should follow to stay on the market for many years to come without letting the huge library get wasted.
I don't get how players don't see it, think of your Steam library and imagine in next year a Steam 2 was coming and you had to buy a new PC while you also kept the old PC to play your previous games.
And then likewise Switch 2 comes or Nintendo Ultra U or whatever and you are like "when will Wind Waker UHD will get released on my Ultra U Nintendo" since each new console has its own library.
Steam is doing it for almost two decades now, Apple and Google have been doing it for the last decade, Microsoft has been doing it the past generation but only becomes apparent.
The only odd ones here are Sony and Nintendo.. but they will have to follow. PS4 is not compatible with PS5 but starting from PS5 I expect Sony to do the same.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Because i posted before and no one had a problem with it. You can always report it for a title change. It happened before.
So it's okay to post a deliberately misleading title because you already did it once and no one called you out on it? That's your argument?

Are you a fangirl or a troll?

Edit: Just read that your original post had its title changed and yet you reposted this with a misleading title. So troll. Glad for the confirmation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Word. This should be the road Switch should follow to stay on the market for many years to come without letting the huge library get wasted.
I don't get how players don't see it, think of your Steam library and imagine in next year a Steam 2 was coming and you had to buy a new PC while you also kept the old PC to play your previous games.
And then likewise Switch 2 comes or Nintendo Ultra U or whatever and you are like "when will Wind Waker UHD will get released on my Ultra U Nintendo" since each new console has its own library.
Steam is doing it for almost two decades now, Apple and Google have been doing it for the last decade, Microsoft has been doing it the past generation but only becomes apparent.
The only odd ones here are Sony and Nintendo.. but they will have to follow. PS4 is not compatible with PS5 but starting from PS5 I expect Sony to do the same.

Just imagine a switch with an SSD good lord.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So it's okay to post a deliberately misleading title because you already did it once and no one called you out on it? That's your argument?

Are you a fanboy or a troll?
Is the same title of the article. Posted on that website. Is needed to add that is an opinion from a reader than a mod should add because I can't edit it now.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's where I am at. I prefer MS approach of releasing their games on PC and giving the option to buy them on steam or use gamepass. If anything it makes it more likely to invest on their hardware for the first time ever.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony and Microsoft next gen systems have historically always been about pushing tech or graphics boundaries, even out the gate, and one of the ways to highlight or exemplify that was visa a slew of launch window first party next gen exclusives. To me having none this time around, at least for the first year or two, represents worse value proposition for the Series X, essentially turning it into a glorified but substantial PC style upgrade as opposed to a proper next gen cut off.

Perhaps the strategy will work for Microsoft and perhaps being held back by the Xbox One won't really hinder things much due to clever scaling and distribution of developers and resources, and perhaps Sony doesn't capitalise on next gen exclusives in the first year or two, we'll see I guess.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I agree with the idea, but I don't agree that Microsoft has a game on the level of a Zelda to really leverage it. Halo ain't it, chieftess.
A quick google fu says Breath of the Wild sold around15 million, while Halo 4 sold around 10, and Halo 5 number are 5 millions within the first three months.

Considering the smaller install base and the lack of foothold in Japan, it really might be.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but... no?
I will never buy a new console without exclusive games if I already have the previous one...
Why I should buy a PS5 if the same games are available and just graphic upgraded from PS4?
Why choose between and Xbox if the same games are on PC and I already have a good one?
Exclusives are what make systems sell. I got a Gamecube to play Re and Re0 when they came out just on that system...

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I understand that. What I don't understand is why you posted a 4 day old article without understanding who exactly the author is which is explicitly stated right away... in the first two words.
So we are doing threads on reader letters now...

Not sure why we're ragging on OP for using the literal title of the feature verbatim. Instead of worrying about the reader in question or how old the article is (really? 4 days old is an issue?), how about we talk about the content itself lmao. The author brings up some salient points to be honest.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the same title of the article. Posted on that website. Is needed to add that is an opinion from a reader than a mod should add because I can't edit it now.

Again wrong- it clearly says 'reader's feature' which like I say they do every weekend. I'm distinctly getting the impression that you never actually clicked on the article yourself since you've demonstrated here you didn't know its title or the first two words that commence it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
instead of telling people over and over that you can't change the thread title, which people already know, you can just report your own op and ask for a different title

ive done this with my own threads several times, and it gets changed pretty quickly usually

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why anything in that article proves that having no exclusives is genius. The business outline would be exactly the same with or without exclusives, but exclusives would be more incentive to buy into the family.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Microsoft next gen systems have historically always been about pushing tech or graphics boundaries, even out the gate, and one of the ways to highlight or exemplify that was visa a slew of next gen first party exclusives. To me having none this time around, at least for the first year or two, represents worse value proposition for the Series X, essentially turning it into a glorified but substantial PC style upgrade as opposed to a proper next gen cut off.

Perhaps the strategy will work for Microsoft and perhaps being held back by the Xbox One won't really hinder things much due to clever scaling and distribution of developers and resources, and perhaps Sony doesn't capitalise on next gen exclusives in the first year or two, we'll see I guess.

I don't fundamentally disagree with your opinion but there are a lot of signs out there that we are experiencing a shift in the way that things were done historically. A more organic, PC-like phasing out of older hardware instead of the hard cut-off of the traditional console cycle may be the way things will be done in the future.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I think we will see all games on all launchers at some point with Sony maybe lagging behind a year or two on their exclusives.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hmmm, they say that about Nintendo, but the platforms with cross generation titles were basically equivalents in terms of power and architecture. That's not how it works for Sony & Microsoft - they have set out their stall on being in the power race and they have to live up to it.

Sony will get the best of both worlds. The third parties will develop for the install base (cross gen) and Sony will develop flagship showcase titles. Sony usually go out generations guns blazing and start very slow, this time there is a palpable gap. I would be surprised if they don't go in hard. It could be generation defining if they don't.

Also, they know when to stick the knife in with marketing as with the used games thing. If they don't lead with "why buy tomorrow's hardware to play yesterday's titles", then they're missing an opportunity.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Again wrong- it clearly says 'reader's feature' which like I say they do every weekend. I'm distinctly getting the impression that you never actually clicked on the article yourself since you've demonstrated here you didn't know its title or the first two words that commence it.
Kinda hard to get quotes from the article if I did not clicked on the article don't you think. Also don't worry if the mods want they will change it. I don't want you to lose sleep over it.

They add it now. Want to comment on the article now, instead of keep derailing it?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't fundamentally disagree with your opinion but there are a lot of signs out there that we are experiencing a shift in the way that things were done historically. A more organic, PC-like phasing out of older hardware instead of the hard cut-off of the traditional console cycle may be the way things will be done in the future.

The only 'sign' is that Microsoft is adopting this strategy, we already know for Sony it's business as usual and that they will have next gen exclusives.

And I always have and always will have a dislike towards the notion of a constant PC like iterative cycle. It just inhibits technical and graphical advancements, and unnecessarily retains a far weaker lowest common denominator floor by which everything far more advanced is unnecessarily anchored to. The reason we've traditionally had next gen cut offs in the first place was to avoid that, something even PC gaming enthusiasts have benefitted from.

Thankfully Microsoft has hinted that in only plans to have cross gen only games for the first year or two, so in reality they're only delaying the cut off point for this arbitrary period of time and hopefully not any longer.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only 'sign' is that Microsoft is adopting this strategy, we already know for Sony it's business as usual and that they will have next gen exclusives.

And I always have and always will have a dislike towards the notion of a constant PC like iterative cycle. It just inhibits technical and graphical advancements, and unnecessarily retains a far weaker lowest common denominator floor by which everything far more advanced is unnecessarily anchored to. The reason we've traditionally had next gen cut offs in the first place was to avoid that, something even PC gaming enthusiasts have benefitted from.

Thankfully Microsoft has hinted that in only plans to have cross gen only games for the first year or two, so in reality they're only delaying the cut off point for this arbitrary period of time and hopefully not any longer.

PS4 and PS4 Pro were basically just hardware upgrades you would do on PC but cheaper.

Just be happy PS5 will be a monster for such a cheap price!

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Imagine continuing to derail the thread over the incredibly insignificant circumstance of who exactly wrote the piece lol. Never change guys.

Anyway, Microsoft's strategy on positioning XSX as a device to push higher performance of cross gen games instead of pushing next gen exclusives is an interesting one. Not quite sure if it will bear fruit, but I figure with an increased focus on having all your games in one place via game pass, and playing them on other devices via xcloud, actual box sales are less of a priority than ever before.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Edit: Just read that your original post had its title changed and yet you reposted this with a misleading title. So troll. Glad for the confirmation.
I'm a troll because I didn't knew I had to put (reader submission)?

Also if you want to insult me get at least the pronoun right.

Screenshot_2.png

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Not sure why we're ragging on OP for using the literal title of the feature verbatim. Instead of worrying about the reader in question or how old the article is (really? 4 days old is an issue?), how about we talk about the content itself lmao. The author brings up some salient points to be honest.
Nah it's easier to counter the author than the arguments.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I agree that series X doesn't need an exclusive to showcase it. I do think, tho, that MS needs an exclusive first party to show its xbox capabilities (both One, one x and series X).
Going with third party only might be way too risky, and doesn't show investment.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that series X doesn't need an exclusive to showcase it. I do think, tho, that MS needs an exclusive first party to show its xbox capabilities (both One, one x and series X).
Going with third party only might be way too risky, and doesn't show investment.

I bet a third party surprises us before any first party.

HDR is way bigger than anything any hardware can do, and that takes actual human skill to implement.

Imagine current games with good HDR but also Ray Tracing.