• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how this is the exact same company that just a little over 6 years ago was telling people that if they didn't have access to a constant internet connection then the product for them was to buy an Xbox 360. Now they have a no man left behind strategy and I don't hate it, but I don't think it's necessarily good either. What's wrong with having a balance of new games coming to old hardware for the first year while supporting your new console? The power feels wasted if you the first party isn't going to push that power early on when most 3rd party devs cling to last gen for as long as possible already. These upgraded consoles have been underwhelming so far and a future that depends on selling itself through minor differences that the devs choose for your games seems like a silly one, because let's be real. I don't think we are getting the options pc players have across the board for these consoles..

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There wouldn't be an incentive for me to buy a new platform if there are no games to truly take advantage of its tech specs in the first years.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know what would be even more genius?. Launch a new console with zero games. How has nobody done it yet?.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at people complaining that this opinion piece was submitted by a mere reader and not the highly respected and infallible wordsmiths at *checks notes* GameCentral.

We are all used to the Killer App model of new system launches but maybe it's time we got more comfortable with consumer choice in lieu of the launch spectacle? It's entirely possible that a cross-gen game could highlight the strengths of the new console better than an exclusive.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As a relatively new X1S owner I'm glad I'll have the option to play everything for the next few years without having to make two somewhat redundant $500 console purchases. However as a fan of gaming I rather not see things hamstrung by 8 year old netbook CPUs, RAM limitations, slow drives, etc... well into next gen.

xCloud would've been a nice compromise IMO. Let those with last gen hardware stream Scarlett games.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol at people complaining that this opinion piece was submitted by a mere reader and not the highly respected and infallible wordsmiths at *checks notes* GameCentral.

We are all used to the Killer App model of new system launches but maybe it's time we got more comfortable with consumer choice in lieu of the launch spectacle? It's entirely possible that a cross-gen game could highlight the strengths of the new console better than an exclusive.
Good lord.