• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Let's see if Microsoft's genius strategy pulls them out of their perpetual third place in console sales position this coming gen. It probably won't, but they should make a tide sum from their service offerings.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
An iterative console strategy is going to encourage developers to constantly be optimizing for new hardware in order to stay ahead of the curve. The floor will still raise, but more fluidly than waiting for a console generation to arbitrarily end.

I completely disagree, an iterative cycle would just push PC development to be anchored to a lower ceiling for longer. Eg now many PC games will potentially have to be designed with Xbox One level hardware in mind even into 2021/2022, whereas otherwise many could have been designed or optimised solely around SSD's, far better CPU's/GPU's etc as the minimum requirement sooner, especially or notably first party games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I feel (and this is just my opinion) that Microsoft has realized that they aren't in the console business, but the gaming business. They want to maximize the number of people who play their games and the revenue that comes from games. And they're beginning to understand that the console is only one piece of that puzzle. Game subscription and game streaming are the future, and all their recent decisions (all exclusive games available on Gamepass day 1, simultaneous PC launch for all exclusives, all exclusives cross-gen for 2 years, expanding Xcloud beta to countries like India) are simply focused on maximizing the reach of their games.
Spot on. Like I said earlier, they'll enter the next generation with a potential userbase consisting of XB1, XSX, Microsoft Store, Steam, Game Pass and xCloud. And on top of all that they have big streamers that will go live playing their 1st party games day 1 essentially helping them with marketing. It's a massive difference compared to if they only made the games run on a newly launched XSX.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that. Historically it has been devs (third party and otherwise) that have pushed for better hardware and the benefits that come with it, including the move to next gen only (see Bungie on Destiny 2, Epic pushing Microsoft to include more ram with the 360 etc).

I'd imagine the only reason cross gen games are initially even a thing with multiplatform devs is because early on the install base is simply too low with next gen consoles the opposite being true for the older systems) to make next gen exclusives immediately financially feasible or less risky, hence they rely on first party studios to take the brunt of that risk in order to further incentivise next gen purchases and/or a faster rate of adoption or transition speed.

Lest we forget having multiple SKU's is actually far more work for studios, requiring more devs, time, resources and testing, which ultimately takes away from time, resources and devs that could be allocated to the next gen version of a game instead.

This is always the case, we get 2 versions of games at the start of the gen, and is probably the norm for larger publishers, so isn't necessarily a shock or unexpected overhead, it may end up being easier as MS are likely to smooth that process with their tooling and support to acknowledge it's family of consoles unlike previous gens.

Lockhart/XSX is a base of 50m+ day one, that lowers the risk tremendously for its content creators.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I get Microsoft wanting to make their software accessible, but at this point why have the console? Why not just become a third party software developer, and try to release on as many platforms as possible? If they want to sell to power users, release it for PCs with the most powerful settings. For consoles, PS4 or PS5, and the switch of course for handhelds. Then just liscense to Stadia for the other platforms?

It's kinda hard to both have an ecosystem, and also make your games accessible. You need to give people incentive to buy into your ecosystem. Sure there will be those who buy an XXboxXseriesOneX1 for the flops and Ks, but the most serious of power users already have and build PCs. Since consoles rarely are at the zenith of technology, and the jump between generations isn't as stark as past gens, software is ultimately going to be what pulls people into upgrading. And it's going to be hard to convince people to buy a new Xbox if it plays the same games as their old on, and all the exclusive killer apps are on the competition.

I'm not against Microsoft trying to be accessible, but having a console platform at the same time just seems a little redundant.

May 25, 2019
London
I get Microsoft wanting to make their software accessible, but at this point why have the console? Why not just become a third party software developer, and try to release on as many platforms as possible? If they want to sell to power users, release it for PCs with the most powerful settings. For consoles, PS4 or PS5, and the switch of course for handhelds. Then just liscense to Stadia for the other platforms?

It's kinda hard to both have an ecosystem, and also make your games accessible. You need to give people incentive to buy into your ecosystem. Sure there will be those who buy an XXboxXseriesOneX1 for the flops and Ks, but the most serious of power users already have and build PCs. Since consoles rarely are at the zenith of technology, and the jump between generations isn't as stark as past gens, software is ultimately going to be what pulls people into upgrading. And it's going to be hard to convince people to buy a new Xbox if it plays the same games as their old on, and all the exclusive killer apps are on the competition.

I'm not against Microsoft trying to be accessible, but having a console platform at the same time just seems a little redundant.

The incentive is Game Pass and xCloud. I pekoe my Game Pass subscription because I get to play games like Outer Worlds and Ori for $10/month as opposed to paying $60 for them new. The console is for people who like the ecosystem but are historically more comfortable playing on a user friendly box they can hook up to their TV.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I'm a troll because I didn't knew I had to put (reader submission)?

Also if you want to insult me get at least the pronoun right.

Screenshot_2.png
is this your argument?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They pretty much started that this gen , made it much easier to not want to buy an XBO, if Sony actually follows suit with putting their games on PC then I have no reason another Sony console either. So I guess if they care more about software over hardware and their ecosystem then sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Right - I'm trying to parse this and apologies I'm rather tired. Context you say? What meaning I'm trying to make from it? Yes? I'm saying that there's a lot of Microsoft 'puff' pieces going around at the moment - which this falls under - especially as the OP didn't mention it was a reader comment and not the publications stand. The gist is that Microsoft's next gen strategy is 'some genius' - well I'm saying let's see about that. It don't think it's going to help them shift any more consoles than they historically do (compared to their competing video game console companies), but I do expect it make them more money through services. What's wrong with that?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right - I'm trying to parse this and apologies I'm rather tired. Context you say? What meaning I'm trying to make from it? Yes? I'm saying that there's a lot of Microsoft 'puff' pieces going around at the moment - which this falls under - especially as the OP didn't mention it was a reader comment and not the publications stand. The gist is that Microsoft's next gen strategy is 'some genius' - well I'm saying let's see about that. It don't think it's going to help them shift any more consoles than they historically do (compared to their competing video game console companies), but I do expect it make them more money through services. What's wrong with that?

You could have just posted this opinion to begin with is my point, and you dont need to apologize.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The incentive is Game Pass and xCloud. I pekoe my Game Pass subscription because I get to play games like Outer Worlds and Ori for $10/month as opposed to paying $60 for them new. The console is for people who like the ecosystem but are historically more comfortable playing on a user friendly box they can hook up to their TV.
But the Game Pass will work for me no matter if I play it one Xbox One, Xbox X, or PC right? If they're the same games across platforms, then what reason would I have to upgrade right away? The user friendly box people are also the same people who normally don't mind taking a performance hit if it means they can play their games cheaper and with less complications. So if Halo is the next big killer app, and my options are sinking $450 to play it on a new console vs. $60 on a console I own, I'm likely to continue playing on my current console.

The only time I could pontentially see the upgrade worth it is when those games start to look dated and run sluggish in comparison, and the upgrade cost seems more and more worth it, but that certainly won't happen within the first years of the consoles life, which are arguably the most important. Meanwhile people who really need to play that new Uncharted or God of War are more likely to sink that $400 cost, because performance or not, that how they get to play their next game.

From a customer standpoint, I like the idea of what microsoft is trying because they're not gating you off from their content, just because you don't want to upgrade yet. But from a business standpoint, It doesn't seem like a great way to incentivize adoption. Microsoft can have it's ecosystem without needing a console, and I feel that would be the best direction to take their strategy. The box just seems redundant at this point, and kinda hinders what they are trying to accomplish.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
It makes sense - the Xbox one X hasn't been out for long enough to stop making games for it. I doubt scaling games for the X will be an issue, but obviously might be for the old Xbox one. Having said that, pc games scale so I'm sure console will as well.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Does it really matter if it's from a reader or from a journalist? I mean it's not like journalist can't have bad opinions or just because it's a journalist he can't be biased or anything, so as long as the points are good.

But imo, not having a clean break of generations isn't genius because it's nothing new. However it's a very good thing for both consumers, developers and the platform holder to have an ever-growing ecosystem. And it will make increasingly hard for others that don't follow suit to compete (that's basically why Sony will have BC, and likely try to mimic this as close as they can even though their platform is not able to provide the same seamlessly experience)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Every generation we have had cross gen titles for the first year or two, not sure why this is such a concern to some. Especially when third party is not under any restrictions to be forced to make Xbox One games and can just make Series X and PS5 and PC titles if they so wish.

What we can do is scritinized Microsoft's 1st party titles that come to Series X but guess what, none have been released so far. So we are unable to compare them to PS5 games to see exactly how this stratgey of Microsofts is as bad as some think.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Scaling down a next gen quality experience to base XB1 hardware is going to be a real challenge for developers. But MS can simply throw more money at the problem so that might actually be a viable option for them.

I just have to question what that's going to look like in the case of Sony throwing their full resources on next gen first party exclusives. Nintendo doesn't have to compete with Sony on graphics the way MS does.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Every generation we have had cross gen titles for the first year or two, not sure why this is such a concern to some. Especially when third party is not under any restrictions to be forced to make Xbox One games and can just make Series X and PS5 and PC titles if they so wish.

What we can do is scritinized Microsoft's 1st party titles that come to Series X but guess what, none have been released so far. So we are unable to compare them to PS5 games to see exactly how this stratgey of Microsofts is as bad as some think.
Breathe of the wild being crossgen is fine, but not xbox exclusives. So weird.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's "genius." It's a pretty cool decision for people who don't want to early adopt or have a reason to early adopt. Pretty consumer friendly in that sense.

Also, this is like posting one of those WSJ/NYT opinion pieces... and those are most often just horrible.

NOTE: For all of the people saying BOTW being cross-gen was fine; yes, exactly that. It was fine. For a game that could have had one of the very few negatives (possibly) removed, the abhorrent frame rate in several spots in that masterpiece. So it was fine... but it could have been an ultimate masterpiece.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
never heard of them. but user submissions eh? gotta pad the site and get some revenue somehow. I respect the hustle

Microsoft and Phil enjoying the free PR, gotta love it 😤

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So they mention Breath of the Wild as an example of "no exclusives is genius" but fail to mention that the Switch also launched with exclusives as well.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Last gen there were numerous next gen only exclusives, especially on the Xbox One. Some of them would be impossible to run on 360 (Ryse and Dead Rising, for example). That's where the concern comes from.

Third parties will be the last ones to develop for next gen only. PS4 + X1 market is like 150 million. They're not just abandoning that.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still think this strategy can be successful IF their first party output does bear fruit of their labor over this period of time they've stated.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Last gen there were numerous next gen only exclusives, especially on the Xbox One. Some of them would be impossible to run on 360 (Ryse and Dead Rising, for example). That's where the concern comes from.

Third parties will be the last ones to develop for next gen only. PS4 + X1 market is like 150 million. They're not just abandoning that.
Of course they aren't and neither will Sony for some titles as well. I have no doubts the limitations of the Xbox One is going to be of concern for some games. Rumour is Cyberpunk 2077 is having difficulties in base hardware but again all wet can do is see how the games are when they come fromMicrosoft. Breath of the Wild was cross green and was up for GOTY.

Most would rather want high caliber games like that then worrying if the game was being held back or not. Halo Infinite and 343 akready said they will be using the power of Project Scarlett.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
in one year: why is no one buying the new xbox?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Its genius if you have someone else making exclusives for it. If they have no deals in place and no teams making exclusives, there's going to be a LOT of wasted horsepower and some disappointed early adopters. The Xbox One X didnt drive consumer excitement for the brand as some expected, and i dont really see how an Xbox One X2 would be different.

Breathe of the wild being crossgen is fine, but not xbox exclusives. So weird.

Probably has something to do with comparing the specs/performance of the Wii U vs Switch to the XB1 vs XSX

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm curious about is this: will a game like Halo Infinite or Forza Motorsport 8 have one version or two? Will there be an Xbox One SKU and a separate Xbox Series X SKU? Or just an "Xbox" SKU that works on all Xbox One and Series X systems?

The former is just a cross-gen strategy and nothing really new. The latter would be a new path forward.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Most likely correct.

It's a very consumer friendly and long-term vision by Microsoft.

And honestly, it's not much of a risk like some are "concerned" about. Consoles are pretty much just generic PC hardware now. Mindbending new tech that can't be scaled down to old consoles is not happening.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Sorry but... no?
I will never buy a new console without exclusive games if I already have the previous one...
Why I should buy a PS5 if the same games are available and just graphic upgraded from PS4?
Why choose between and Xbox if the same games are on PC and I already have a good one?
Exclusives are what make systems sell. I got a Gamecube to play Re and Re0 when they came out just on that system...

So you prefer to not have the option?

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
What I'm curious about is this: will a game like Halo Infinite or Forza Motorsport 8 have one version or two? Will there be an Xbox One SKU and a separate Xbox Series X SKU? Or just an "Xbox" SKU that works on all Xbox One and Series X systems?

The former is just a cross-gen strategy and nothing really new. The latter would be a new path forward.

It will be the latter. The only reason the former existed was new consoles were almost totally incompatible with the old consoles. (Even the way of delivering the games was incompatible. The Xbox 360 store is still seperate from the Xbox One/Microsoft Store.) Now developers just make their game on a high-end development console or PC and turn the resolution/amount of grass settings down until it runs on a low-end console.

It's going to be so nice.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be the latter. The only reason the former existed was new consoles were almost totally incompatible with the old consoles. (Even the way of delivering the games was incompatible. The Xbox 360 store is still seperate from the Xbox One/Microsoft Store.) Now developers just make their game on a high-end development console or PC and turn the resolution/amount of grass settings down until it runs on a low-end console.

It's going to be so nice.
Yeah, I think it's a great path forward. I hope Nintendo does this as well with Switch and its future iterations.

MemoSan

Jan 15, 2020
Mexico
I'm pretty sure people will understand Microsoft vision for Next Gen once the Marketing campaign start rolling next fall, I'm so happy to know that with my One X will be able to play Halo Infinite and have enough time so I can transition to the new console later and not become poor in the process. And my controls come with me too! I'm the only one very exited that I don't have to spend a lot of money?

Why is everyone so pessimistic about this very friendly approach for consumers?

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure people will understand Microsoft vision for Next Gen once the Marketing campaign start rolling next fall, I'm so happy to know that with my One X will be able to play Halo Infinite and have enough time so I can transition to the new console later and not become poor in the process. And my controls come with me too! I'm the only one very exited that I don't have to spend a lot of money?

Why is everyone so pessimistic about this very friendly approach for consumers?

The results of this poll might answer your question: https://www.resetera.com/threads/which-next-gen-console-will-you-get-next-fall.148897/

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If anything it just makes me less inclined to get a Series X anytime soon. Wouldn't say it's genius at all.