• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
https://gamedaily.biz/article/1215/...ueuetainment-new-floor-plan-industry-only-day

The ESA is hoping to turn E3 into a Gamescom-like 'festival', and an additional 10,000 consumers may pack the LA Convention Center.
The ESA is trying to rebrand E3 as a "fan, media, and influencer festival" for next year's event.

In a pitch deck intended for the lobbying group's members, the ESA says it has plans to adapt its offerings in response to feedback gathered from publishers. As part of its overhaul, the group proposes leaning into influencers and paid celebrity deals with talent representation agencies like UTA and CAA.

The deck includes two examples of these high profile celebrity activations, including members of the Los Angeles Lakers playing a basketball video game in front of fans or actors competing in a tournament. These attractions rely on a massive change to the E3 show floor.

Basically, the ESA is trying to turn E3 into something closer to Gamescom. E3 was always more of an industry event with some public involvement.

Industry attendees, including media, should be aware that the ESA membership approved an additional 10,000 gamer badge attendees, bringing the total number of consumers on the show floor to 25,000. The E3 schedule may be reconfigured with an industry-only day on Tuesday (traditionally the first day of E3 activities at the LA Convention Center), before opening the doors wide to ticketed members of the general public on Wednesday and Thursday.

Even with an additional 10,000 people, E3 won't come close to the largest industry events around the world. With fortuitous timing, Niko Partners senior analyst Daniel Ahmad shared the following attendance statistics for major conventions this year:

I don't expect much. People are just down on E3 as a whole, and I can't see them changing much. It doesn't feel necessary any more. Leak my personal information if old.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Well next E3 is crucial for them.

E3 2013, Sony revealed the price and console it basically won them the console generation. As well as all that used games stuff. It was one of the craziest e3s ever. Will Sony return? I know they'd have their own event to talk about the console. But will be a big blow if they don't show up at E3 next year.

MS will definitely be there even though they will most likely reveal Scarlett on their own show.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have a plan for avoiding leaking journalists' contact details, or are they just going to let it happen again?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
About time really, they've been a trade show in name only for awhile now and a poorly planned games convention/exhibition for even longer. It's probably the least of their problems at the moment though.

OP
OP
Mr. Pointy

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think pretty much everyone is just going to do their own conferences around the same time of year, but E3 itself will just be a nothingburger.

OP
OP
Mr. Pointy

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I figure I'll post these two slides from the article here, because I find them fascinating. But you really should real the article.

image-13.png

image-14.png

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
If they really want to do this shit, they need to move. I'm all for it becoming a Gamescom-style event - as somebody who has to work there, I'd love them to go all the way and outright separate the public and business areas - but to do that, it needs to get out of the LACC, and probably LA in general. The venue isn't big enough.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're in an age now where the actual stage is becoming less and less important. Sony could host their next conference on a street corner (permits permitting of course) and still reach the same audience as long as they have a live feed/live stream and their trailers are uploaded to the internet. If they follow the same marketing strategy and put on a good quality show, I don't see their target audience turning their back on the conference because it wasn't at E3.

Microsoft have essentially done the same thing except they used their own building. Who among us could argue that they didn't reach their target market. The same goes for EA.

That said, I'm of the opinion that these changes have been made in part, to coax Sony back. There was an interview with Layden that suggested there was some broader issue with the structure of E3 but I don't have a link to it at the moment.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they have. The Microsoft Theater part is coordinated with ESA and part of E3.

Their own thing at LA Live is not really part of E3, the expo. And obviously shows the declining relevance of the show floor itself. Microsoft doesn't need the ESA to hold their own event.

Across the road at the Microsoft Theatre, and you still need your E3 pass to get in.

Yeah, but it shows declining relevance of the E3 show floor and the ESA in general. There's a reason they're trying to reboot the convention again, they wouldn't be doing this if things were going well for E3.

Microsoft have essentially done the same thing except they used their own building.

They don't own the building, it's just a naming rights deal.

Oct 25, 2017
If this impacts Sony reveal plans, maybe this means a way bigger PS Meeting than initially expected. They may just go all out instead of saving things for E3. They could also just schedule their own event after PS Meeting.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I figure I'll post these two slides from the article here, because I find them fascinating. But you really should real the article.

image-13.png

image-14.png
Aw groady

I ain't like that at all. Such naked corporate and industry cronyism, right out there in the open where everyone can see it

You can almost hear them smacking their lips thinking about the money they stand to make by enabling themselves to "control content and the message," salivating over the idea of saving up cultural cache to weather negative industry news

Blurgh

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
A rather disturbing development in my opinion. This reminds me of the E3 Media & Business Summits they had in 2007 and 2008, which were disasters, but instead of being directed towards the industry it's being directly towards the players. There are quite a few consumer events already, does E3 really need to become another one?

Do they have a plan for avoiding leaking journalists' contact details, or are they just going to let it happen again?
I'm monitoring the situation. No greater developments on https://www.e3expo.com/ as of late, but a splash site for E3 2020 was added on September 12: https://www.e3expo.com/e3-2020-splash

While just a placeholder, it doesn't function very well.

Last edited:

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
If Sony doesn't show up on E3 they will need 2 events next year. First a PS Meeting to reveal the new hardware.
Then another event to reveal launch lineup, PRICE and start pre orders.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God no. God, please.. ugh.

The event will no longer be a trade show at all, but a "festival."

#FYRE3FEST

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
E3 is irrelevant to me now.

E3 didn't need to happen for the most interesting announcements of last year.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I bet if Sony decides to Skip E3 then, E3 will go downhill from there. For some reason I always thought having a big event on January makes more sense than June/July for E3.

I wish Nintendo revives the Nintendo space world some day.

element

Oct 27, 2017
the only good idea is the one about the industry only day
seriously.

They just aren't going far enough. Just copy Gamescom. Two days industry only, three days public access. Since retail and media aren't nearly as important to E3 as they were 10 years ago, they just need to make it a public event where companies can define some sort of ROI. They need to grow and get more people in the door. The reason why Gamescom works is that any booth can get 100,000 potential impressions if not more. The same can not be said about E3.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
seriously.

They just aren't going far enough. Just copy Gamescom. Two days industry only, three days public access. Since retail and media aren't nearly as important to E3 as they were 10 years ago, they just need to make it a public event where companies can define some sort of ROI. They need to grow and get more people in the door. The reason why Gamescom works is that any booth can get 100,000 potential impressions if not more. The same can not be said about E3.
Yeah I agree with this. People are missing the point that it's only about announcements. E3 is an experience and event. It runs for 3 days after all.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree with this. People are missing the point that it's only about announcements. E3 is an experience and event. It runs for 3 days after all.
I managed events for a game a while back and it was easy to justify a booth at Gamescom just from potential foot traffic impressions. For E3, we ended up just getting a suite at a local hotel and booking business appointments. The value just wasn't there to actually be on the floor at E3.

Though the ESA now has agreements in place with all the hotels near the convention center to prevent this (you are required to have a booth if you want to use a suite for meetings).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Next year is definitely going to be a huge factor in the direction of the show going forward either way. PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo will more than likely show their slate of new consoles which in of itself will bring a lot more eyes on the show than last year for sure. I personally wouldn't mind this approach. If it results in the show still sustaining itself, then i'm all for it. I just hope that they still keep media/press exclusivity days though. I think that's a fair way to handle it.

OP
OP
Mr. Pointy

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft could let Ninja reveal the next Xbox on his Mixer and it would probably crush anything E3 could do.

Listening to the response from some podcast is very much this is bs, specially given the leaks of info.
Like this is misuse of people's interest in games and ESA trying to take credit of good things that happen in game industry as a result of them.
And even if they do something to get the media back to E3 how much will they try to control their message like stop them from asking question of labor, allegations, hard politics, etc.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I do think Game Industry professionals that make the games get WAY TOO much credit, glad we are finally recognizing the unsung hero of the game industry, Blue Haired overenthusiastic twitch streamers. I'm super happy for all them, hopefully they can finally afford their rent.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is talked about in the latest EZA podcast. It might be time to kill off e3 and come with something completely different