• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-02-the-uk-console-game-sales-now-30-45-percent-digital

Confidential digital data, shown to GamesIndustry.biz, reveals that the digital-to-physical split on some AAA console games now exceed 45% in the UK.

Last year, the split was estimated at between 15% and 25%, depending on the game.

GfK data, which only counts physical sales, showed that some recent games have sold below their predecessors - titles such as Destiny 2, FIFA 18, Wolfenstein II, The Evil Within 2, Forza Motorsport 7 and Assassin's Creed Origins. However, according to the data shown to us, some of these games were actually up over their previous titles due to the significant increase in downloading.

EA's financials this week showed that 36% of their PS4 and Xbox One sales are digital on a global basis, and that includes territories with lower broadband penetration. Last year that number was 30%. The firm says that 25% of FIFA 18's sales have been digital after three weeks, whereas FIFA 17's number was just 16%. Madden's download share is also up 9% to 34% of total sales.

EA believes its games may have a lower download penetration generally, with its sports title being more mainstream and therefore appealing to consumers that perhaps don't use download services.

Download me if old

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow, so much for the "Digital not big in Uk because of price" posts.

DKHF

Oct 28, 2017
Ah so it's a lot higher there than some expected (due to games pricing in the UK). This makes it clear some recent games that seemingly bombed/suffered a notable decline didn't do too bad (maybe better than the previous entry), which is good.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm honestly shocked. Pricing here for digital is sooooo absurdly high compared to getting it online from somewhere like Amazon
People being lazy should never be shocking. Going online and searching for a place outside the UK that can sell the game cheaper is much more demanding.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
This is really surprising. DD on consoles are usually a good £10 more expensive than retail, I assumed customers would prefer to save instead of the instant convenience.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm honestly shocked. Pricing here for digital is sooooo absurdly high compared to getting it online from somewhere like Amazon

It's mentioned in the article, but the past couple of years the sharp reduction in physical versions over digital has dried up.

There's still a slight premium on digital downloads through the stores, but its no longer within the 'ridiculous' category or £15+ as it was before.

Maybe something akin to £5-£10.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. @ this in particular:

"However, according to the data shown to us, some of these games were actually up over their previous titles due to the significant increase in downloading."

This is great news actually, and makes the analysis we do in the PAL charts thread a little pointless :)

It's also great news for publishers as they keep a much larger chunk of the pie digitally compared to retail.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GfK data, which only counts physical sales, showed that some recent games have sold below their predecessors - titles such as Destiny 2, FIFA 18, Wolfenstein II, The Evil Within 2, Forza Motorsport 7 and Assassin's Creed Origins. However, according to the data shown to us, some of these games were actually up over their previous titles due to the significant increase in downloading.

god_is_real.gif

if they are included in the "some of these games".

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Very surprising to me. Almost none of my RL friends buy AAA games digital because of price and because you can't sell them. I can't imagine most cash-strapped teens are going digital...unless they're just using daddy's credit card.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
UK here! been all digital for the last couple of years on Xbox. Only discs that go in my console now are my old 360 BC games and the odd 4k bluray

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is good news...seems a lot of the Dooom and gloom over games being down is not as simple.

Makes me curious how gt sport did overall.

Cronnie

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really surprised at that percentage, personally it's still too much of a premium compared to physical copies for me to jump on most games. That plus no ability to sell later on down the line keep me mainly physical.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. @ this in particular:

"However, according to the data shown to us, some of these games were actually up over their previous titles due to the significant increase in downloading."

This is great news actually, and makes the analysis we do in the PAL charts thread a little pointless :)

It's also great news for publishers as they keep a much larger chunk of the pie digitally compared to retail.
This is key. It's super hard to call bombas now with only the UK data.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm not surprised. We're a nation of convenience shoppers OR a nation of bargain hunters. Look at how successful the supermarkets have been at moving into the higher margin convenience store sector, while the other half of the market is being eaten up by discounters at the lower end. The market for premium, convenient products is massive.

OP
OP
Mpl90

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
wow, so much for the "Digital not big in Uk because of price" posts.

This is probably the thing that shocks me the most. I sincerly thought that, while digital was obviously growing, it couldn't be growing as much as elsewhere due to the prices. And yet, here we are.
Or maybe the price still plays a role, and the shift to digital is even stronger elsewhere (like US).

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa, that's high. And it's still all so expensive too.

I will cling to physical for as long as possible.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I haven't bought a physical game since Soul Sacrifice (not Delta). I know that I'm missing out on the "value" of resale, but I never know when I'll pick something up again and with digital it's just there (mostly, revoked liscenses aside).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So maybe the loss of retail sales of Destiny has been made up digitally. As thats really a "digital to go" game.

Aki-at

Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked, know loads of friends who have jumped from physical to digital even with the price difference, they just find it more convenient for space. Hopefully we can start getting more digital charts at some point!

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well.. yeah.. obviously?

This isn't just happening in the UK, this is happening in a multitude of European countries.

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
One of the giveaways for this was stubbornly high digital pricing, if the games weren't selling at those prices on launch day then publishers would have brought them more in line with retail pricing (£40-43 at launch). That they don't feel the need to shows that people are buying anyway.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That means some of these might not have missed sales expectations. I hope that is true for all of Bethesda's recent releases, especially Prey.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A lot of people still believe in the old digital = 20% rhetoric from a couple of years back.

Digital share has actually grown at a really fast rate in the past couple of years and there are some games that quite literally have more than 50% of their unit sales come from digital download in the first week / month.

The average is now well into the mid 30% range.

Digital also drives higher ASP's too with a lot of core gamers opting to buy the special editions that include the season pass or the upcoming DLC etc... This is especially true among online service games.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Im shocked people are shocked. Digital is the way to go for convince.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Publishers getting away with murder with those prices. I won't be going digital on console until prices are much closer to what steam offers.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I would still hazard a guess that most of those people buying digital don't do it via UK stores and buy off US - it practically converts to similar pricing as they are used to buying physical in the UK at launch.

ps3ud0 8)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people still believe in the old digital = 20% rhetoric from a couple of years back.

Digital share has actually grown at a really fast rate in the past couple of years and there are some games that quite literally have more than 50% of their unit sales come from digital download in the first week / month.

Digital also drives higher ASP's too with a lot of core gamers opting to buy the special editions that include the season pass or the upcoming DLC etc...

Think Destiny 2 is a prime example of probably going 50/50 or even more.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Digital also drives higher ASP's too with a lot of core gamers opting to buy the special editions that include the season pass or the upcoming DLC etc...
Yep, we see it in the PAL thread still weekly.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital South Park here in Brazil is just R$ 249,90 ((USD) 76).

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that surprised really. This is completely anecdotal, but all the people that I know who used to always go to midnight launches don't now, they pre-load and play it at midnight instead.