• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This goes along with all the doom and gloom we see in UK sales threads that doesn't match up to the actual reception of games.

Oct 29, 2017
I have 2 ps4 consoles in my house, one is mine the other is my boys.

I only buy Digital if it's something we both want, Like Destiny 2 ( :'( ) to play together or Skyrim remastered because we both want to play it at the same time.

Yeah the cost is more but compared to 2 physical copies it is cheaper when he piggy backs off my account.

Aside from that I REFUSE to buy digital if it's just for me (Uncharted) or just for him (odd magna shit)

Edit: to be fair he's only ever bought about 4 games as he plays mostly the same as me.. my collection is rather vast.. I wish my dad played games lol would of saved me a fortune.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Well that would, at least partly, answer lower retail results that we've been seeing lately in all UK sales threads.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't surprise me that much, I've been banging the digital distribution drum for the past 6 years. While some of my friends are die-hard retail, others are slowly moving over, especially on online-only multiplayer titles.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
That's all well and good if I bought the standard edition, but I bought the digital deluxe edition, and I saved £11.

No, I already calculated this into everything. The season pass adds 30 pounds (I assume), so you paid 44 for the base game, which generally costs 45 at retail. That's the one pound you saved.
But I see Activision were smart enough not to sell the season pass standalone for the time being (not that it matters, since stuff won't be out yet).

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Digital gameshare means you can play at the same time though, sharing your physical game means you no longer have access to it. It's on the lower end of physical's benefits imo.

I was mostly just kidding, but thanks for actually explaining to me what the the term means because I actually wasn't 100% sure.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly shocked. Pricing here for digital is sooooo absurdly high compared to getting it online from somewhere like Amazon
People who aren't struggling financially who probably buy max 1 game per month on average if even that (& even some who buy a bit more) probably do not give a single fuck if they have to pay 10£ more if it's some game they really want & saves them the hassle of having to hunt for the best dealz.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony, MS and Nintendo should really start giving out digital sales data, all these "underperforming" physical games aren't a good look.

To who? All the key players have the data, the only people that dont are forums and arm chair gamers, I doubt anyone cares about how they look to them.

For me
MS games = 100% digital, theyve abandon generations, meaning my games will follow me regardless of platform. Instant refund available.
Sony = Physical only, they will be resetting per gen, no guarantee my games will carry over, shit refund policy, abysmal security.
Nintendo = Physical only, shoddy account system, poor history of charging to move games over, no faith in the.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry, but why?

People must have more disposable income than me, because fuck paying £60 for a video game. Any video game.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
A pretty decent average broadband speed across the UK in general, the convenience of digital and the "jukebox" effect of not having to change discs is what I believe to be a contributing factor.

It is certainly what informed my decisions, that and being a PC gamer means I have been conditioned to digital only.

I haven't bought a physical games since 2016.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
The only time I buy digital is when there's a sale and even then it won't be anything over £20. This year I've bought around 25 physical games, if everything went digital only I probably would've bought less than 10. The trouble with digital is if you buy a stinker you're stuck it with it so I'd only ever buy the cream of the crop and wait for big sales for the rest.

On the other hand my 18 year old cousin bought Fifa digitally and spent £120 on packs in a single night, so I know I'm a dying breed.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone buying digital in the UK (for console games) is getting ripped off, the cost is £10 - £15 more for a digital copy. Not as if it's a hidden saving either, you can easily compare between PS Store and Amazon for instance.

- No wait for installation when purchasing games before release date
- Play immediately at 12am
- I can travel between 2 points and continue my games with ease ( i do this currently)
- I can go to a friends house and load all my games on a whim
- Games to follow you

Its so convenient on top of that, dont mind spending £10-£15 for the fearuewa above.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
I am one of these however I region switch, would never pay the ridiculous prices on the digital stores in the UK.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
- I can travel between 2 points and continue my games with ease ( i do this currently)
- Games to follow you

Its so convenient on top of that, dont mind spending £10-£15 for the fearuewa above.

I mean, with physical you don't have to wait for it to install. Almost all physical games install within about 15-30 seconds. You also get physical games before release.

The rest of your points stand though.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Yet they specifically note games like that in the article. It may not be as big as some GAAS games, but I'm guessing this increase is applying to some degree with most games.

Well the quote only refers to it as an example of a game that suffered a large decline over its predecessors - it then goes onto say "some" of those they listed were up overall due to digital and I sincerely doubt Wolf is one of them. I assume those games that are up are Fifa / Ass Creed - considering these were only a small drop off from previous titles anyway so much easier for them to make up the difference with digital

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
- Games to follow you

Its so convenient on top of that, dont mind spending £10-£15 for the feature above.

Some of these pluses apply to physical and even better in some cases though.

-Possible to get the game days earlier physically (some sites are essentially guaranteed early)

-Games follow you too as long as you choose to keep them.

-You can just take the disc to your friends house (And probably play it sooner than you would having to download it all digitally on a friend's console, though I realise you'd have to plan beforehand to bring the games over)

Honestly the only benefits really I see is not changing discs and if you choose to gameshare with a person(s) you either pay less for the game or have access to others for free depending on how it's handled between everyone)

The other pluses are dependent on the game really. E.g. possibility is you could get discount of other stuff having a game digitally on your account. Cross buy if the game supports that usually only works digitally (though I think it should be physical too and some games did have that).
Only Xbox has increased my digital games purchasing really, and that's due to having the PC version free with the X1 version. I'd rather play on PC than X1 so makes sense to just get the X1 version free, but it is also forced. I couldn't buy the PC version any other way other than through the Windows store. If X1 physical games came with the PC version Id continue with that preferably, But that's not an option.

So to me, the benefits really outweigh digitals to me. I suppose just with not having to think about anything may be worth it to some, But to me at least it's like a few seconds research, if I didn't know already.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised. There re communities built around gamesharing, selling, renting accounts etc. Legal and illegal.

Myself only buy on sales stuf. Im not paying 55 or 60 pounds for game. I d rather skip game all together.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does the UK Charts track digital sales? If not, that would explain those recent sequel flops if their digital sales are good

No the PAL charts do not contain digital sales, but also no it does not explain the sequel flops, at least not all of them. The Evil Within 2 was down like 70% wasn't it? Good luck with getting that made up digitally. And Zhuge (or whatever they're called I'm sorry I'm terrible with usernames/names in general) has commented that it is basically just the multiplayer games that are touching the highest percentages here (so 40- extremely rare 50%).

I do not think it is unreasonable to call any/all of the single player underwhelming games still underwhelming, even with this update.

Though it does make it hard to have a decent discussion in those threads due to how almost every game now will have digital be its savour.

We do need digital to be included really.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a problem buying things digitally, but I do so when I feel there is value in doing it i.e the game is reduced below that of the prices in the shops. If I can't trade it in or give it to a friend/relative then I factor that into my value of the game. I regularly check out sales on the consoles and have quite a few games, but they tend to be old or heavily discounted. Sony's discounts of their own games are good. 10% off EA games is not as they are already overpriced.