• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Nomura still designed normal characters?

5-DanielBio.jpg
62887ed11a1ef87d9015018937ef35d5--tetsuya-nomura-parasite.jpg

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: In the Japanese version of Punch-Out, Doc Louis is referred to as Little Mac's "trainner", a typo that was corrected when the game was released in English speaking countries.

Punchoutjapan_introcutscene.png
Might have played it with the typo I think it looks familiar. All games back then are filled with them though. Even English western made games. With the less time quality control testing.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
There are many, many reasons why the PoC design and even the context of them being present in Jet Set Radio is kinda questionable, but I really have to give them credit on one character:

images

Piranha was a PoC woman that was both actually playable and had natural hair that wasn't one of the "stock PoC hairdos." And aside from the boob stars and severity of the cleavage window, I actually kinda like the outfit.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
No. Just because they made a black man smart, does not mean is it was a good character. They still gave him all the stereotypical cliches how a black man is portrayed normally.
And if a black person is portrayed in a better way, then he or she has a lighter skin color. And not to speak about the hair in the games you can make your own character.
What cliches did he have? I'd like to to expand on this
Were there bad dark skinned people in this game I forgot? I'm confused by this post.

Some of my Favs:
Marcus, Adewale, and now Bayek (yeah I love Ubisoft games so sue me)

Lincoln clay was also great as well too bad I didn't much like the game.

Unfav: Cole Train, I didn't even realize how bad he was till I was playing with my brother... yeah less than Ideal

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All they commented on Nadine was her hair?
She was a great tough as nails antagonist in UC4, and was given a lot of depth and made even more awesome in Legacy imo.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
Might have played it with the typo I think it looks familiar. All games back then are filled with them though. Even English western made games. With the less time quality control testing.

I think such errors add a human quality to older titles, it can certainly give an insight into game development during the 80's and early 90's.

Hesdry

Oct 28, 2017
Brasil
I did not play enough to know the background story, but I loved the design.

Emmett Graves from Starhawk made by LightBox Interactive (and Santa Monica) for PS3:
attachment.php

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No. Just because they made a black man smart, does not mean is it was a good character. They still gave him all the stereotypical cliches how a black man is portrayed normally.
And if a black person is portrayed in a better way, then he or she has a lighter skin color. And not to speak about the hair in the games you can make your own character.

What about him did you feel was stereotypical? I must have a bad memory of the game.

I did not play enough to know the background story, but I loved the design.

Emmett Graves from Starhawk made by LightBox Interactive (and Santa Monica) for PS3:
attachment.php
So that's what he's from.

He fights Kat from Gravity Rush in PlayStation All-Stars.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Also shout outs to Namco and the Raven/Master Raven characters. Giving us black characters that aren't stereotyped into being boxers/kick boxers and actual bad ass ninjas is a breath of fresh air

ca361e5ac3614eab5f3466d3be2ad28a9cc4ebc7_hq.jpg
latest

Speaking of Namco:

latest

As much as I actually loved SCV, losing my man Zas was my biggest problem with the game.

If we ever do get another SC, he needs to come back.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
mgz29D4.png

jTDl2Eu.png

Andoras Gaffryn from Tactics Ogre, which first released in 1995. He is a bit of a minor character, and is not explored in detail.

However, reading between the lines, he has an interesting story.

He is a dark knight of the Lodissian Empire, the main enemy faction in the game. His backstory is that he was a Prince in Nildahme, a country conquered by the Empire before the start of the game. After the country fell, it was enslaved by the Lodissians. Rather than resist Lodis, he joined their ranks as a dark knight. At the end of the game, his motivation finally becomes clear. He joins Barbas and Martym in a splinter faction of the Dark Knights. Lodis invaded Valeria (the main setting of the game) because they wanted access to demonic powers accessible through the Chaos Gate at the Hanging Gardens, where the Dynast King of Valeria (Valeria's Titos equivalent) died. At the end of the game, the Lodis splinter group (Andoras, Barbas and Martym) tries to take this power for themselves. It is never spelled out, but in my mind, Andoras joined the dark knights of Lodis in order to wait for a moment like this, where he could seize power for himself in order to avenge his people. I find him to be an interesting character, even if his role is minor.

Hesdry

Oct 28, 2017
Brasil
So that's what he's from.

He fights Kat from Gravity Rush in PlayStation All-Stars.

lol
It's weird for me, as a Brazilian, to laugh like that. I'm used to "OUHAUHAUOHAU" or at least "hahaha".
I dont know why Sony put him in PSAll-Stars. Starhwank (and Warhawk) are Sony's undervalued ip.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Not many people remember this I think but I loved the game as a kid and thinking back it was quite a rarity to have a black female cop as a protagonist in a game.
I bought it recently from Steam and it didn't work. Same with GOG but GOG helped me troubleshoot it into working. Unfortunately the game felt like complete crap to control so I haven't started it up again.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it recently from Steam and it didn't work. Same with GOG but GOG helped me troubleshoot it into working. Unfortunately the game felt like complete crap to control so I haven't started it up again.
I have my PSone disc and fired it up one day and damn it does NOT hold up, no matter how good it was in 1999 x'D

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's getting better, but sheesh with the lack of hair options already lol.

It's like corn rolls and a fro, or dreads...that's it!

mrmyth

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Marcus from WD2. He left an immediate impression, so much so that I've never been able to do a gun playthrough because Marcus just isn't that kind of guy. He didn't hit any stereotype buttons for me.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
What about the guy who says "alla 'dat Juice" in Gears of War? Cole Train, was it? Wasn't he just marvelous?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
1774362-8828620110503_160822_8_big.jpg

Big Bo - Binary Domain

Like every other character in the game, Big Bo seems like a cliche at first glance but by the end they manage to surprise you and last in your memory longer than you'd have thought. Underrated game, underrated characters.

1252500-bayonetta_rodin_character_artwork.jpg

Rodin - Bayonetta

I don't know what this guys deal is but I get the sense that is he ever got serious you better back the fuck up as far away as you can. The brief moments he shows up in the game are welcomed, I love the way the VA plays him. He also has a touch of the RE4 trader about him.

1671856-trader.png

Killing Floor - Trader

OG Trader. The one they have now in KF2 is terrible. Its not even a real person, its just a voice.

Last edited:

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
Off the top of my head, I don't remember any egregious black cliches from Marcus.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lee Everett and Alyx Vance set the bar, hope we see less stereotypes. That being said, I think Grace Walker was a also a great character, even if she did play up to certain stereotypes, she was still in a position of power.