• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimalFather

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how could you forget...

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4X2PfgRb0

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave
Tom from Shenmue, but specifically the Japanese version where his character made a bit more sense, in it he speaks very basic Japanese, you know, like a foreigner might do instead of being, well whatever he was in the Dub.

latest

B.D. Joe from Crazy Taxi - Always my favourite out of the characters from the 1st game, and was pleasantly surprised when he came back in Sonic All Star Racing and again in the sequel.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm a Hispanic and no, I have never, ever identified as white, either colloquially nor on any census. Nor am I majority "White Spanish descent."

Go up to dominicans and ask them if they are black, and the overwhelming response you'll get is "no, I'm dominican."

I'm from NYC and I know plenty of Dominicans who identify as black or afrolatino. I mean you can not claim it all you want but at the end of the day that's what you are, that's your roots. Fuck outta here with that and fuck outta here for calling me pathetic for accepting what I am. It doesn't make me or anyone less attuned with the culture of my country or the diaspora.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm from NYC and I know plenty of Dominicans who identify as black or afrolatino. I mean you can not claim it all you want but at the end of the day that's what you are, that's your roots. Fuck outta here with that and fuck outta here for calling me pathetic for accepting what I am.

I'm calling you pathetic for not accepting what I am and speaking for me and others. Hispanic roots are predominantly native american, not african or caucasian. There is a very obvious reason why people would classify dominicans separately from black people, and it comes down to thousands of years of roots.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The new Wolfenstein games have some great ones. Grace in particular.

Wolfenstein-2-Grace.jpg

How often do you see a woman

breastfeeding her baby

in a game?

I loved her the second I saw the trailer with her. So far she's exactly the kind of character I wanted her to be.

That scene was certainly surprising, I can't think of a video game that's had one.

Oct 31, 2017
Tom from Shenmue, but specifically the Japanese version where his character made a bit more sense, in it he speaks very basic Japanese, you know, like a foreigner might do instead of being, well whatever he was in the Dub.

latest

B.D. Joe from Crazy Taxi - Always my favourite out of the characters from the 1st game, and was pleasantly surprised when he came back in Sonic All Star Racing and again in the sequel.

I follow you on the Crazy Taxi one but clearly Tom from Shenmue is not a black video game character, seems more like a caricature of what they might consider "black" at that time.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling you pathetic for not accepting what I am and speaking for me and others. Hispanic roots are predominantly native american, not african or caucasian. There is a very obvious reason why people would classify dominicans separately from black people, and it comes down to thousands of years of roots.

Well that's absolutely not true for Caribbean Latinos and you can choose to ignore it, or identify as you want. I am, what I am and it doesn't make me less Hispanic or Latino so Yea, fuck outta here with that. Also Rico is 100 percent afrolatino. So are Sean and Laura from SF.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
pAKz1C1.jpg

Powerful presence and influence among the royalty of Orlais, no-nonsense, driven and skilled character. Racism against black people doesn't exist in Thedas, but it does on Earth, so the sight of a black female character in an important position in their society was much welcome.

Oct 29, 2017
Hi, I'm a Hispanic and no, I have never, ever identified as white, either colloquially nor on any census. Nor am I majority "White Spanish descent."

Go up to dominicans and ask them if they are black, and the overwhelming response you'll get is "no, I'm dominican."

This is not true at all. We absolutely see race and ethnicity in Latin America. Don't kid yourself, Latin Americans of Portuguese, German or Spanish ancestry are not going to tell you that they are the same ethnicity as everyone else in the nation. Only way someone identifies as "nation of origin" is because they are immigrants in another country. But in their original home where almost everyone else the same nationality as you, you don't go using something as broad and meaningless as your nationality as your ethnicity, you go deeper than that. You are descendant of Portuguese,or of the native population, or of Chinese, or of African descent, etc while still being Latin aAmerican, but never only your nationality.

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on who you ask. It's more a multiplayer game with a single player mode. Around the release, it reviewed in the low 80's. It's a good game(IMO) and these days you can get it for cheap. A lot of people begged Sony for a sequel but I don't think it sold very well.
It's mutiplayer was super unbalanced from what I could remember. I remember once people realized it was easy to spawn trap the other side to the point they couldn't build up any resources to do anything other then spawn and then die if you tried to move out of the area it became pointless to keep playing and things just died. Very quickly I think feel. Like within days I think. I don't recall there being any patch to fix this either. Gameplay wise though the game was solid and story somewhat interesting. It's really a shame it died and wasn't supported.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Always thought it was cool you could choose between these two Unknown Soldiers in Forgotten Worlds:

forwor1.png

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No love for Mr. Game & Watch?

I found the lack of diverse characters more understandable when console gaming was dominated by the Japanese, but these days it does strike me as odd. TV and movies are not perfect, but are much, much better about this than games for some reason.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could go back to WD2. I never played the DLC, maybe I should. Were they any good?

aeb9ee9751da7a664ebd83e8a57d5bbf97aff295_hq.gif

I never did, But I did enjoy his character. I think the DLC of the first game turned me off of buying it for this one. I will look again.

Thousands of years ago, the concept of race is different. Rico can't be considered afro anything. He wasn't even born on planet earth. And there lies the problem. Race evolved from language, to people who were from the same area, to physical traits. That part is came about in the 17th century. What is horrifying is that it became a tool used to divide and separate and to simplify people, who have numerous nationalities in their blood, down to one signifying external trait. I will give you three guesses on why that came to be and another three guesses on how this makes the back and forth you are having even sadder.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Reminder: please be respectful of how people self-identify with regards to their ethnicity or nationality.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
51V9578GG0L.jpg

Im dying for a sequel or remake.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

One of my all time favorite games.

Thanks for posting this, you beat me to it!
DAT soundtrack. Dat atmosphere. Game was legit scary and well designed. There's no words to describe my love for Shadowman.

Another sequel or a remake and I would cry tears of joy.

Ps. Rockin' a Guts avatar too :)

5d2dmuxe.gif

They didn't remember him :(

LOL

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
The Suikoden series had a large amount of characters that were at least partially inspired by people with an African background;

Hugo
latest

Lucia
suikoden3_lucia.jpg

Aila
latest

Anne
latest

Samus
latest

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
latest

You couldn't play as her but they essentially made God a black woman.