• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Posters that have been in the discussion threads knew about this already, but I thought it was worth making a separate thread to both clarify that to those that didn't know, and not mix it up with other point of discussion.

"This is a work in progress, a prototype, so we might change in the future," Shimbori told us. "For this version, we still have Kasumi with her previous costumes, and there are some parts that are going to jiggle or move, but we want to make it a lot more natural. That is one goal, to make movement very natural. Also, each character has a very strong personality and we want to emphasize that.
Also reminder that buying DLC has an impact on the future of the game, as seen with 5:
"Of course we're going to tone down at this point, but for downloadable content, we have to see what gamers really want, what their response is. Not all the gamers want the same thing, but we want to ask their opinions, all of them, and get feedback on it. Having said that, Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, we put [sexuality] on the front line and used the soft engine [note: an engine used in DOA5 for advanced butt and breast jiggling] for that. And actually, we're reflecting on that… maybe we did a little too much. Of course, we will have some jiggling and some movement, but as a whole we're going to tone down.

From GameInformer

Basically the same thing has also been said in a recent (and very good/informative) Twitch interview:

So people crying over boob jiggle (not really in this forum) can now calm down, it's still coming back in a future build, just toned down, like every fighting game on the market that has it as well.
Classic costumes are also not gone and some might come back (either in the base game or as DLC), just like Kasumi had also another main costume.

The game looks really good, despite still some clarifications needed on some design choices, so hopefully people and interviews can now focus back on the gameplay rather than that.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I was actually super relieved and surprised they didn't go with the over the top fanservice. Step in the right direction.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
So the micro bikinis, thongs, underboob and underpants are just going to be dlc

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
So, if anything, breasts will move more realistically and we also have the improved graphics, and the old costumes are all there. I don't see how this is a tonal shift at all. The helium tits were a cheap trick in the past, it just sounds like they improved their animation this time around, while keeping thigh highs and panty shots galore.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
6D9UHsm.jpg

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see if they stick the landing though. Feels like we'll all be giving them side-eye when DLC 1 consists of pasties and ass-less chaps.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Eh. The fanservice within the actual fighting games in the DoA franchise isn't that much worse than what you see in modern Street Fighter. Both should be toned down, but DoA doesn't stand out as being particularly bad about it, imo.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
"foreign teens wear slutty underwear anyway "

WHAAAAAT?

Eh. The fanservice within the actual fighting games in the DoA franchise isn't that much worse than what you see in modern Street Fighter. Both should be toned down, but DoA doesn't stand out as being particularly bad about it, imo.
Yeah I think they use the fan service to sell all of those dlc costumes. Vanilla DoA5 didn't really have anything beyond what every other fighting game has.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to imagine a person who was outraged by the lack of jiggles.

lmao...there are some on this very message board.

I always feel like when people say this, they actually aren't paying attention to the outfits that get released in DoA.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
I can clearly see Helena's ass every time she kicks, so i wouldn't say things are changed that much.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Context on this. It was from the Star Ocean devs changing a character's underwear in SO5 (which you had to turn the camera in a certain way to look up her skirt). Japanese gamers flipped the fuck out.

Funny thing is that no one in the west complained about some panties that were never shown. Hell, almost no one in the west knows what the fuck is a Star Ocean.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Context on this. It was from the Star Ocean devs changing a character's underwear in SO5 (which you had to turn the camera in a certain way to look up her skirt). Japanese gamers flipped the fuck out.
Wow that's really bad. I can slightly understand someone being upset with the changing of characters designs but not if it's something dumb like that.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I can clearly see Helena's ass every time she kicks, so i wouldn't say things are changed that much.
Only time people had a problem with butts in fighting games was with Mika in SFV. Even Cammy seems to be fine.
Or Chun-Li's outfit working the same way as Helena.
d716f3b8867a0014a1a7af6501c4f20c.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I had a problem with DOAs sexuality but rather how ridiculous it is for martial artists to have a pair of 36DD's.

People with breasts that large can't possible do all the acrobatics presented in their fighting style.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game looks like straight fire this time around so I don't care. First time I've been interested in the series, T&A or not.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't think I had a problem with DOAs sexuality but rather how ridiculous it is for martial artists to have a pair of 36DD's.

People with breasts that large can't possible do all the acrobatics presented in their fighting style.
So you have a problem with most fighting games? Just to be clear since you're just talking about DOA.

edit:
Might as well play Tekken. :P
For what? Completely different games.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I never really liked the jiggle physics, they were too over the top and unnatural, but it's disappointing they're getting rid of the sexy designs. The designs so far are still pretty cool so I'm not too upset tho, Kasumi looks great.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Losing the soft engine does kinda suck, because that looked really good. I'm sure they'll bring back the bounce proper though (there wasn't any in the gameplay footage shown, but they could've had it off like you could do in DOA5). As long as people have options to make the game what they want it to be, that's what's most important.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I never really liked the jiggle physics, they were too over the top and unnatural, but it's disappointing they're getting rid of the sexy designs. The designs so far are still pretty cool so I'm not too upset tho, Kasumi looks great.

But... they're not? They're just toning down the level of sexualization in the base game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine either way. I come to DOA for the fighting itself. Not to say I don't love me some costumes because also I love me some costumes. But the core of DOA is why its so fun.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Like I'm someone who feels there's definitely a place for cheesecake in gaming but I don't think it's a bad thing that they're taking it in a somewhat different direction, especially if their goal is to be taken seriously in the FGC.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Tina doesn't get cut. I feel like this is a different step forward for the franchise, but I almost feel like long time series fans may express some major backlash.

I feel like Shimbori has been on the right road for the series, I trust him / hope it turns out solid.