• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Assuming it CAN'T be turned off, are you happy with this decision?

• Yes

Votes: 565 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 474 34.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 346 25.0%

• Total voters

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

According to director Shigeru Ohmori, Pokémon Sword and Shield does away with this item. However, when we followed up with Ohmori about whether that means we need to train up each individual Pokémon, he confirmed to us that every Pokémon in your party gets equal experience automatically as you progress through the game.

This is pretty huge and I don't know how this will affect those who don't want to use it for the extra challenge.

Edit:

For those who haven't played Pokémon in a long time, the Exp. Share since gen VI it can be turned on or off from the Bag menu in the overworld

If it is enabled, the experience and EVs earned when an opposing Pokémon faints or is caught is awarded to all of the Pokémon in the party individually. Pokémon that do not participate in battle only gain 50% of the possible experience (but all of the EVs).

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, why have options if you could just force a certain way to play on your players?

Seriously, what benefit does this have? Couldn't you play the game this way before and they just got rid of the other, classic way?

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Well that sucks. Playing through without EXP share was always a fun way to play for some extra difficulty. :///

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I always activated the item anyway in the recent games. That's how recent JRPG also do.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how anyone can see this as a good thing. Recent games gave it to you almost immediately and had it toggled on by default; this is just giving those who don't want to use it fewer options.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
How going from optional to mandatory benefits anyone?

One step forward, two steps back. GameFreak at it again.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this. I would prefer this.

Just wish the games had more difficulty options to keep up with it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Please let me turn it off.

Turning off Exp Share is what actually made Sun/Moon fun and somewhat challenging.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I'm surprised people are so over the moon for this, managing exp is one of like the few things you actually have think about in pokemon.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with this, as long as the game is not baby difficulty like X/Y
God that E4 was disappointing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fucking trash. Way to make your piss easy games even more braindead.

Why the hell is this not optional Game Freak?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how anyone can see this as a good thing. Recent games gave it to you almost immediately and had it toggled on by default; this is just giving those who don't want to use it fewer options.

Because now the progression and challenge will be balanced around this.

EDIT: i dont need downers/trolls to quote that post and reply the exact same thing thank you.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
sucks for the people that like a challenge and can't turn it off.

But that audience was probably insanely small

Aine

May 27, 2019
Something something "dumbed-down difficulty", "Pokemon ruined forever", yadda-yadda.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with that, but I'm also kind of hoping there's an easily accessible hold item out there that will keep Pokemon in your party from gaining XP as an optional utility for specific purposes.

Please let me turn it off.

Turning off Exp Share is what actually made Sun/Moon fun and somewhat challenging.
Sounds to me like the problem was that recent Pokemon games have been way too easy. God knows that problem probably won't be fixed in Sword/Shield, but here's to hoping.

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
Am i tripping or did the last game on 3ds pretty much had it available near the beginning and you could turn it off or on so isn't this just taking away the choice

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
The key word is equal here. Didn't the old experience shares give less than the main Pokemon?

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
There was a thread on here just the other day praising RPGs that do this, but it's bad when Pokémon does? I don't really get it.

It saves time, that's all. Having to grind your other Pokémon up isn't difficulty, it's just time consuming grinding.
Right, what's the downside to this? In fact doesn't this make it easier for you to have a rotating roster of more than six (that's the max at a time, right?) leading to more experimentation and diversity?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Bleh. What other games aimed primarily at 10-year-olds will I have to play now to get quench my thirst for CHALLENGE?

It's fine, folks.