• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Assuming it CAN'T be turned off, are you happy with this decision?

• Yes

Votes: 565 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 474 34.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 346 25.0%

• Total voters

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry gamefreak this is a deal breaker if it can't be turned off then I don't want the games and I pre ordered both and already paid €5 each off both games to get an extra €5 off each in Smyths

I'm prepared to lose €10 over this

options are a good thing i like manually switching and levelling up my Pokémon
Same. I have already paid off 4 copies (2 to play and 2 to collect) and I will walk away and willing to lose £200 if they don't fix this.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm pretty indifferent to this since I've been using exp share since basically the beginning. I've always liked training a larger variety of pokemon and by doing that with the modern exp share huge roster of pokemon would all be viable and the right level for whatever challenge came up.

I think this is an issue for people who make a single team of 6 pokemon and largely stick with them the whole game. Exp share on in this environent will lead to you being massively over leveled. It's also why people saying "they adjust the difficulty around this change" confuse me. You really can't balance pokemon around how everyone is going to play it.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
What if the enjoyable part for many people is actually the training/grinding part? Or the opposite, the self imposed challenges, or going through the game with the lowest level possible?
My guess is that to most people, the worst part about Pokemon IS the grinding part, a lot of people used EXP Share because it cuts down the number of samey battles while people who like a harder experience/watching a Pokemon grow by itself/doing Nuzlockes just isn't that big.

Still sucks that they threw away the option...but honestly, i find that Pokemon games just drag on and the battles become too repetitive if i play without EXP Share and makes me use less Pokemon-
I can't believe people hated raising Pokémons in their Pokémon games.
If you look at common RPG complaints, it's that grinding becomes really boring, there is just something to having a lot of turn-based battles that aren't fast, or even when you are oneshotting everything, still feel slow due to menus and animations, that tire people out.

It's why EXP Share and other mechanics to reduce grinding are becoming more and more common, or they are trying to make battles more fun, i also guess that grinding also feels somewhat mandatory to everyone that isn't a challenge gamer and people don't like being forced to train?

I mean, a lot of people who play solely turn-based games that don't require grinding or much of it seem to enjoy those a lot more than games like Pokemon and other RPG's where grinding feels mandatory at times to proceed through a game, again, i think it's just the feeling of being stuck in some areas fighting the same enemies and going through menus that ends up annoying people.

But, then again, a lot of people actually like this kind of thing and just because EXP Share is common in many other games, doesn't mean that Pokemon fans will like them, particularly if said fans don't even play other RPG's to begin with.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honesty don't even care. Pokemon games are a joke in difficulty with or without exp share.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Have they said if we can turn it off? Not that arsed, but would like the option.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt be surprised, if GameFreak said "you cant catch your own pokemon, you must catch present Pokemon" and a poll for it will say they approve of that decision.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldnt be surprised, if GameFreak said "you cant catch your own pokemon, you must catch present Pokemon" and a poll for it will say they approve of that decision.

Having to travel the entire region to get badges is such a pain..... can't all the gym leaders be like, in the same building? And i get all the badges by just beating one? i'm not a ten year old anymore i dont have TIME TO PLAY GAMES (but i have time to complain in era)

Thanks game freak you're a pal. Don't forget to make this completely forced on everyone else cause the way i play surely is the best way and anyone else who disagrees should just find another game

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I mean, okay whatever. Its been clear since Gen 6 that the single player is only there because there is no feasible way to out a multiplayer battle only Pokemon game like Stadium now that 3D Battles are a thing, and the single player campaign has never been that difficult. As for balance complaints this explains why the 1st gym is at level 19 for the ace, the game is gonna have a high level endgame if the level curve is that steep.

Aug 13, 2019
Another example of increasing experience by shedding outdated design. Let's Go catching mechanic. Removing the arbitrary "wear down and catch". Every game I have played where this is a mechanic, it has often been the worst part of the experience. Like Quina in FF9, wearing down foes in order to eat them. It's just frustrating and becomes more of a "why?".

From what I understand, this'll probably be back in Sword and Shield, and I'm not really looking forward to a "well, you have to hit them until their number is small, then you can catch them" discussion with my boy. Because, you just think "why?". Because you have to, because you have had to in the past. Does it make it better? Does it enrich the experience? Or is it simply putting a mechanic in for mechanics sake.

Get rid of artificial barriers, concentrate on actual content. You can copy paste this across the entire jRPG genre.
Its... Its because you're weakening them. The point of fighting a Pokemon before throwing a Pokeball at them is to weaken them so they can't break out of the plastic prison you're trapping them in! Pretty sure every game explains this the first time you get Pokeballs.

Honestly, I can't even play Pokemon Lets Go. It's entirely antithetical to how I play Pokemon. I don't want to forced to capture 40 Ratata just because I want to level up my damned Eevee or to get some rare spawn. At most I capture 3 of each Pokemon, depending on whether I want to try completing a living dex otherwise, I only ever need the one. Capturing every Pokemon I run into isn't nearly as fun as battling them.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of any points in Pokémon games in which players can't get over a roadblock by using lateral thinking. I genuinely don't know what kind og Pokémon games people have been playing these last decades.

Even necrozma which people keep using as the ultimate pokemon roadblock can be trivialized by destiny bond and focus sash

I'm pretty sure every method of catching monsters requires you to either weaken or even defeat them in order to capture them, outside of SMT which does it's own thing.

Older persona games had better chances when the demons were weaker and Persona 5 either requires you to down them with an attack to start negotiation or hurt them enough that they get scared and try negotiating with you instead

So basically same thing. You don't use the PS Move controller to pet Pixie and convince her to join your party, no.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure every method of catching monsters requires you to either weaken or even defeat them in order to capture them, outside of SMT which does it's own thing.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'm so glad they did this. Changing the Pokemons of place was a bit of a pain in the ass. Glad they changed it. Comes late, but still good.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Or just throwing a Zoroark at it and using Foul Play

Or even just using Toxic on it once and trying to stall out the clock.

Or using X Spec. Def. and Roto Boost so you can survive it's attacks.

Or using the Pokemon Refresh affection buff that just lets your pokemon Dodge attacks that should have hit it, or survive moves that would have KO'd it.

Even for one of the most tricky matches the series has seen in a long time there was many alternate ways you could take it down instead of "Gringding for hours on end".

Heaven help people try to experiment around with all the tools the game gives to them at their disposal.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Even necrozma which people keep using as the ultimate pokemon roadblock can be trivialized by destiny bond and focus sash
Or a myriad other things. Priority stat moves, Trick Room, fixed damage moves, you name it. Not to mention, to absolutely can address the "grinding problem" without taking away the option for those who don't want to opt in.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad they did this. Changing the Pokemons of place was a bit of a pain in the ass. Glad they changed it. Comes late, but still good.

You could ALWAYS do it and for some years already what you say you want (Exp Share ON so every pokémon earns exp) has been the default behaviour that you had to go out of your way in order to disable. They just took away that option for those of us that actually enjoyed it while you won't see any difference at all because that's how it actually already worked, have you even played a recent Pokémon game?

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly the exp modifier weaker pokemon get from defeating stonger ones was a good ideas and if they wanted to mitigate grinding they should have just made that a little more drastic

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Or even just using Toxic on it once and trying to stall out the clock.

Or using X Spec. Def. and Roto Boost so you can survive it's attacks.

Or using the Pokemon Refresh affection buff that just lets your pokemon Dodge attacks that should have hit it, or survive moves that would have KO'd it.

Even for one of the most tricky matches the series has seen in a long time there was many alternate ways you could take it down instead of "Gringding for hours on end".

Heaven help people try to experiment around with all the tools the game gives to them at their disposal.
And even if you're underleveled, you can just catch a bunch of wild Pokemon (including legendaries) in Ultra Space and they're all at level 60.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Who are they making these changes for?

An entire generation beat Pokemon Red and Blue, two obtuse games with almost no tutorial or hand-holding on the GameBoy. The tricky parts only encouraged building a community ("Hey, I'm stuck in Cerulean!" "Just go through the house that was burglarized" etc). These games were difficult and punishing, where routes between towns were long and filled with trainers with 4-5 Pokemon that were higher level than yours, and often of a different type than the wild Pokemon, and you'd have to have 1-2 of your team filled with HM 'mons and you had to let the opponent land a free hit because you had to keep switching Magikarp in and out.

Like, I don't want to be the "back in my day" guy but we know kids aren't stupid and can beat hard games. It's not an unproven.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
]
Not really. Yo-kai Watch and DQ Monster methods are similar to SMT, the Digimon Story games use the digiconvert method and in MH Stories you have to get eggs by stealing them.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
You could ALWAYS do it and for some years already what you say you want (Exp Share ON so every pokémon earns exp) has been the default behaviour that you had to go out of your way in order to disable. They just took away that option for those of us that actually enjoyed it while you won't see any difference at all because that's how it actually already worked, have you even played a recent Pokémon game?

Yes, I am finishing Ultra Sun. I think both options are good. I believe that either of these options should've been there from the very beginning.

Thanks for the patronizing tone.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Is this a good or a bad thing? I haven't played a Pokemon game from beginning to end since Fire Red on GBA.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't something like Kingdom Hearts' Exp Zero add-on solve this issue?
Last Pokemon I touched was Silver on GBC I think.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I like this, but...they'd better bring back Super Training, and the full EV reset items had better be plentiful.

Aug 13, 2019
Is this a good or a bad thing? I haven't played a Pokemon game from beginning to end since Fire Red on GBA.
It depends on who you ask.
Some like it because it gets rid of the grind of keeping their entire team at the same-ish level.
And I hate it because it takes away the grind of keeping my entire team at the same-ish level, despite the fact that I could optionally do that in the last 3ish games. All they've done is take away an option and they're met with applause.
So the majority are HAPPY that GF are removing the OPTION for us to play without EXP share on? This has to be a joke. Please tell me this is a joke.
It seems pretty obvious that a good chunk of the yes voters haven't touched a Pokemon game in years.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
So the majority are HAPPY that GF are removing the OPTION for us to play without EXP share on? This has to be a joke. Please tell me this is a joke.
No, they are happy that GF are making the team get equal experience from every battle by default from the start. People that are happy probably aren't concerned with things other people do to enjoy the game if it doesn't affect them. That people value different things and react to changes differently doesn't invalidate anyone's reaction.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't even play Pokemon Lets Go. It's entirely antithetical to how I play Pokemon. I don't want to forced to capture 40 Ratata just because I want to level up my damned Eevee or to get some rare spawn. At most I capture 3 of each Pokemon, depending on whether I want to try completing a living dex otherwise, I only ever need the one. Capturing every Pokemon I run into isn't nearly as fun as battling them.

How was your starter under leveled when they gave you a portable PC on your back to swap them in and out instead of the xp share. Its the easiest Pokemon game i've ever seen in regards to manually modifying the difficulty and changing up your team (at least until they force you to have a lvl 50 Pokemon on you).

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they are happy that GF are making the team get equal experience from every battle by default from the start. People that are happy probably aren't concerned with things other people do to enjoy the game if it doesn't affect them. That people value different things and react to changes differently doesn't invalidate anyone's reaction.

Did you read the poll question?

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It totally makes these people look like a bunch of assholes, specially when there's been an OPTION for it in the last two generations that didn't affect them negatively in ANY WAY.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Did you read the poll question?

yeah, the people that are happy aren't affected by it not being possible to turn it off? the question isn't are you happy with it not being a toggle, it's are you happy with exp share being built-in and and untoggleable.

It totally makes these people look like a bunch of assholes, specially when there's been an OPTION for it in the last two generations that didn't affect them negatively in ANY WAY.

I don't know how GF approaches designing their difficulty and encounters, but I imagine it's easier to predict what level and size people's teams will be when the experience gain is uniform across the team, I feel like this has the potential to make the game better for most people in a way that may not have happened with an optional exp share. I have no strong feelings about the change because I'm a casual and it doesn't seem that big to me but I totally see why people are upset, the way they enjoy to play may be impossible. I just don't think people that are happy with the change are happy just to upset people who are not.

Last edited: