• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Assuming it CAN'T be turned off, are you happy with this decision?

• Yes

Votes: 565 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 474 34.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 346 25.0%

• Total voters

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The real question here is if the game will have two hours of tutorials. Sun and Moon are intolerable to replay.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The only game I haven't played is Let's Go, mever touching it either, and I still have no issue with this. The less grinding the better I say.
Isn't that the point though? Since the beginning in middle school, people sitting with their Gameboy Colors just watching their EXP fill up, attacking and watching the life bars go down in relation to what ATK they had built up? If you remove the depth of progression the game just loses its flavor. It's like now it'll be only forward momentum and everything happens at our leisure.

I guess I can see that the grinding needed modernization but why couldn't they think up some sort of "Boosting" system instead. Say you are stuck with your Bulbasaur and pick up a Charizard and it's only like lvl5 while your bulb is lvl 10. Why not add something that's like, if you carry your strongest pokemon in the same bag as a weaker pokemon, it'll get x2 EXP rate?

Just sharing everything across the board? Way to completely ruin the formula.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Experience Share makes the optimal strategy for the game into putting your starter at the top of your party and never use anything else, and swap out the other five spots as you fill out your Pokedex. Your starter will be leveled enough to sweep everything without worry and you save time on completing your 'dex.

EDIT: I actually did this Alpha Sapphire. I didn't use anything but Blaziken (literally even once) until post-game.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But you could have it on while others turn it off, you could do that before, now those who want to turn it off can't.
Holy shit is this why this thread is so long? People willingly being obtuse and choosing not to understand the actual issue?

Welcome to every thread where people are upset with decisions GameFreak made.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Experience Share makes the optimal strategy for the game into putting your starter at the top of your party and never use anything else, and swap out the other five spots as you fill out your Pokedex. Your starter will be leveled enough to sweep everything without worry and you save time on completing your 'dex.

EDIT: I actually did this Alpha Sapphire. I didn't use anything but Blaziken (literally even once) until post-game.

But people already bragged about doing this before EXP share

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is it really a easier game getting rid of stupid grinding work?

Yes. You gain levels faster, you get stronger faster. Pokemon is a game with a level cap (100) and no level scaling so being over the level against the milestones the game decided beforehand does make it easier - pokemon is a game with little strategy when you play it properly and with zero strategy when you can bruteforce anything with level advantage. "B-but grinding" isn't a counterpoiint since its still an effort you need to do thus by default 'harder' than not grinding although its a very vague definition of hard being used here.

And since this argument was only said 498 times unlike the rest, i'll point it out again - the people who want to be able to turn exp share off DON'T WANT TO GRIND. They want to turn it off EXACTLY TO NOT GET MORE EXPERIENCE.

Jun 10, 2019
If anyone here has played XY,ORAS, or USUM will know that Pokemon's been doing this for awhile.

Pokemon games have become increasingly easier (Not easy because Pokemon games aren't hard) since Generation 6.

This isn't a surprise to anyone who's played a Pokemon game in the past 6 years.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
If anyone here has played XY,ORAS, or USUM will know that Pokemon's been doing this for awhile.

Pokemon games have become increasingly easier (Not easy because Pokemon games aren't hard) since Generation 6.

This isn't a surprise to anyone who's played a Pokemon game in the past 6 years.
But the issue here is that we don't know if it can be turned off (like Gen 6 or 7) or no (like let's go) since there's no exp.share item

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
But people already bragged about doing this before EXP share
You could always beat the game with your starter (I did a run of Blue when I was a kid where I beat the game with my unevolved Squirtle, then leveled him all the way to 100 without letting him evolve). But without experience share, you'd have to then take the time to fill out your dex some other way. With EXP share, your early team should be starter, bugs, bird, and rodent until they evolve, and as they do, switch them out with whatever is in the area, and repeat. You'll finish the game much more quickly (because you're overleveled) and also have to spend much less time completing your dex.

As someone who's favorite aspects of the games were: discovery, the single player, and filling your dex, EXP share trivializes two of those. The last few games being super linear has separately ruined the discovery aspect, so...

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Is this a good or a bad thing? I haven't played a Pokemon game from beginning to end since Fire Red on GBA.
Bad, no one ever complained they couldn't beat a Pokemon game, they offered EXP Share before and there were dozens of ways of putting self-imposed challenges to actually make the game somewhat hard.

Now, in a famously easy series, they decided to...completely change one mechanic from a really damn popular series and take away the option of deciding for fans.

The only thing that will happen is people won't miss the fact there is an EXP Share option since it's forced and i assume casual or at least less hardcore players will be more willing to experiment with Pokemon now that there is less grinding involved, but it sucks for whoever likes to do self-imposed challenges like Nuzlockes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Isn't that the point though? Since the beginning in middle school, people sitting with their Gameboy Colors just watching their EXP fill up, attacking and watching the life bars go down in relation to what ATK they had built up? If you remove the depth of progression the game just loses its flavor. It's like now it'll be only forward momentum and everything happens at our leisure.

I guess I can see that the grinding needed modernization but why couldn't they think up some sort of "Boosting" system instead. Say you are stuck with your Bulbasaur and pick up a Charizard and it's only like lvl5 while your bulb is lvl 10. Why not add something that's like, if you carry your strongest pokemon in the same bag as a weaker pokemon, it'll get x2 EXP rate?

Just sharing everything across the board? Way to completely ruin the formula.
When I was in grade school I chose favorites and never let them go. I had the time to grind and grind away with those 6 Pokemon. Now with work its bothersome, and I usually get these flash ideas to mix and match with new Pokemon. Across the Board exp. sharing allows me to use other Pokemon while progressing through the story, and in a much simpler way. And its not just forward momentum when you factor in EXP scaling like Gens 5 and 7, there is always a level cap not far away thats slows down the forward momentum as you explore the areas within that level cap.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure but gamefreak realized that a bunch of people were paying incorrectly on accident and have moved to fix it. That's good.
"incorrectly"...holy shit. They had the option to turn xp-share off. They didn't give you the option to "play incorrectly" on purpose ffs.

What on earth am I reading here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I did a run of Blue when I was a kid where I beat the game with my unevolved Squirtle, then leveled him all the way to 100 without letting him evolve
I also want to go on record and say that as a very poor kid, I greatly appreciated grind-y games (Pokemon and Phantasy Star Online were two of my favorite games growing up). My parents couldn't afford to buy us games more than one or two at Christmas (or some retro stuff at yard sales), so challenging or grindy games gave me things to play.

Pokemon Blue being as easy as modern Pokemon would have been yet another thing that made being poor suck.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
When I was in grade school I chose favorites and never let them go. I had the time to grind and grind away with those 6 Pokemon. Now with work its bothersome, and I usually get these flash ideas to mix and match with new Pokemon. Across the Board exp. sharing allows me to use other Pokemon while progressing through the story, and in a much simpler way. And its not just forward momentum when you factor in EXP scaling like Gens 5 and 7, there is always a level cap not far away thats slows down the forward momentum as you explore the areas within that level cap.

Exp Share as an item exists since gen I, what changed was only how it worked and the amount of xp/team members shared (when it was still sharing xp at least). I could always, in every pokemon gen and game, get a new team member and put it on the team if i wanted to. As a working adult i can still go back to these games and change my party using the old exp share as well. This tedious grinding you folks keep trying to paint as inevitable is not real. The games can be beaten with ridiculously low levels if only you put the minimal effort into trying to. There are literal zero xp runs on youtube

Regarding the exp share i don't like the new one and prefered the hold item, but i can recognize its efficiency for people with less patience to actually play the game they're playing - i didn't mind it as long as i could turn it off. And that's the whole issue we're having here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Exp Share as an item exists since gen I, what changed was only how it worked and the amount of xp/team members shared (when it was still sharing xp at least). I could always, in every pokemon gen and game, get a new team member and put it on the team if i wanted to. As a working adult i can still go back to these games and change my party using the old exp share as well. This tedious grinding you folks keep trying to paint as inevitable is not real. The games can be beaten with ridiculously low levels if only you put the minimal effort into trying to. There are literal zero xp runs on youtube

Regarding the exp share i don't like the new one and prefered the hold item, but i can recognize its efficiency for people with less patience to actually play the game they're playing - i didn't mind it as long as i could turn it off. And that's the whole issue we're having here.
Yeah I agree with no turning it off being problematic, but others also take issue with the EXP. share being so rewarding as an optional choice being bad as well is a tad too much. The exp. share in Gen 6 and 7 really helped me enjoy the games without hitting a mental wall.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Interesting poll results. Not a huge gap between the responses IMO.

Something that occurs to me when the discussion about EXP. Share comes up, which is not otherwise discussed much, is how different it used to feel to invest time in a single Pokémon when there were so many fewer to choose from. When there were only 151 or 251, taking the time to train a specific Pokémon was a greater percentage of the over-all experience. When there were only 151 Pokémon to collect, training one three-stage Pokémon was 2% of the entire Dex.

Nowadays I have literally hundreds of competitively bred Pokémon with their moves and stats and EVs in the right place. But only a handful of them are level 100 because training a Pokémon to Level 100 still takes an enormous amount of time. Generation 7 was frequently maligned for its limited means of hitting Level 100, and that's obviously with the EXP. Share we are all used to.

So I have some mixed feelings. In the postgame, the EXP. Share is probably the most vital and necessary item to my overall game experience. It is mandatory for training six Pokémon at a time. I wish I could apply it to my entire PC because I have 200+ Pokémon and not many of them have hit the level cap. But in the base campaign, there's a big difference in difficulty when you always have 6 Pokémon around the same level versus 6 Pokémon at different levels as determined by frequency of use.

Ultimately though, if the game is simply balance around all your Pokémon being roughly the same level, maybe they'll actually make gyms harder and give gym leaders more Pokémon. I can dream, can't I?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
A big problem with the idea that removing the option will lead to a better balanced difficulty is that, without difficulty options, these games are going to be designed to be beatable by children by default. Without the choice or an explicitly designed hard mode, the game is going to be easy. Hell, even if there is a hard mode, the option should be there. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt that this is a toggle, as much as I shouldn't be at this point, but if it isn't, this choice will have been a solution looking for a problem.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The craziest thing about all this to me is, regardless of how ine feels about this is... Why exactly is this boiling over NOW? Because if this thread was all you had to go on, I wouldn't Blane a person for not knowing better if they thought that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were the last entries in the franchise.

But they're not. Pokémon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu are. And do correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the same thing in LGE/LGP, right? That is, that you already couldn't turn off the Experience Share in those games?

I still nonetheless get being disappointed all the sane, but why this is a 28 page thread fir Sword/Shield not bringing back an option from USUM instead of say being a reaction thread to LGE/LGP is definitely a bit odd to me.

Because again, and I want to make this clear, I perfectly understand being disappointed in this. But regardless of how one feels, this is not new. This is something they already did in a previous entry, and they're just bringing that change forward. So why this is blowing up now, for these particular games instead of for Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu when it originally happened and it's getting more attention now than it did for them, as if the option is bring removed for the first time instead of for the second pair of mainline games in a row is definitely a bit odd to me.

Is this just part of another example of people desperately trying to pretend as if Let's Go just doesn't count/were spin-offs/etc despite them definitely being mainline no matter how one personally feels about them, and so just ignoring what they did until now, and because of that treating this like it's a brand new thing when it isn't?

Because either way though, it's definitely weird yo me, because it's just carrying a change they made from Let's Go over to Sword & Shield. And I understand not liking that change in either set if games if so, that's a perfectly valid stance & I want to stress that, but at the sane time if that is how ine feels I would have figured people would have gotten that out of their systems in the reaction to Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, so regardless of how one personally feels, to see it boil over here instead as if this is a brand new change for the series is definitely more than a little weird to me, that's all I'm saying here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The craziest thing about all this to me is, regardless of how ine feels about this is... Why exactly is this boiling over NOW? Because if this thread was all you had to go on, I wouldn't Blane a person for not knowing better if they thought that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were the last entries in the franchise.

But they're not. Pokémon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu are. And do correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the same thing in LGE/LGP, right? That is, that you already couldn't turn off the Experience Share in those games?

I still nonetheless get being disappointed all the sane, but why this is a 28 page thread fir Sword/Shield not bringing back an option from USUM instead of say being a reaction thread to LGE/LGP is definitely a bit odd to me.

Because again, and I want to make this clear, I perfectly understand being disappointed in this. But regardless of how one feels, this is not new. This is something they already did in a previous entry, and they're just bringing that change forward. So why this is blowing up now, for these particular games instead of for Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu when it originally happened and it's getting more attention now than it did for them, as if the option is bring removed for the first time instead of for the second pair of mainline games in a row is definitely a bit odd to me.

Is this just part of another example of people desperately trying to pretend as if Let's Go just doesn't count/were spin-offs/etc despite them definitely being mainline no matter how one personally feels about them, and so just ignoring what they did until now, and because of that treating this like it's a brand new thing when it isn't?

Because either way though, it's definitely weird yo me, because it's just carrying a change they made from Let's Go over to Sword & Shield. And I understand not liking that change in either set if games if so, that's a perfectly valid stance & I want to stress that, but at the sane time if that is how ine feels I would have figured people would have gotten that out of their systems in the reaction to Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu, so regardless of how one personally feels, to see it boil over here instead as if this is a brand new change for the series is definitely more than a little weird to me, that's all I'm saying here.

I didn't play Let's Go. It honestly didn't even occur to me they would try to bring this element over from those games. I was aware of the mechanic but I figured in grand GameFreak tradition they would introduce a mechanic and then drop it in the next game.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Well, like I think a lot of folks thought let's go was some sort of side thing that wasn't going to be relevant so we wrote some of that stuff off e.g. the limited dex and and perma exp share. But some things were different enough that I feel like it's reasonable to think changed mechanics could go either way in sword/shield, like the catching mechanics and whether or not pokemon have abilites for example. So in my eyes exp. share was a tossup

Partially I was also curious to see how how that game played with it on permanently since I had never used it for the campaign before, and since I personally didn't enjoy it, I feel the need to be a little more vocal about this being mandatory going forward

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
And do correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the same thing in LGE/LGP, right? That is, that you already couldn't turn off the Experience Share in those games?

Because for some people, myself included, those games might as well not exist. I was told those were spin-offs, and was reassured that people like me would get the Pokémon game they want next time. The Let's Go games are so antithetical to what I like about Pokémon that exp. share being mandatory in them didn't even register on my radar, I had already written them off before knowing about that.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This was the messaging at the time. People took this to mean a distinction between the 'core' series and Let's Go.

People were ultimately surprised when Sword and Shield removed random encounters and had Pokemon in the overworld (and were also disappointed that following Pokemon weren't brought over). I don't think there was much of an indication that changes from LGPE would be brought over to Let's Go, even though I'm pleased by the positive changes that resulted from it.

People assumed LGPE to be a very tightly focused 'pure' remake of Yellow that focused on the partner and capture mechanic, and with it being a more accessible variant of the Pokemon games, the non-toggleable Exp. All seemed to make sense.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
From the Gameinformer '101 Rapid-Fire Questions About Pokémon Sword and Shield':

* Interviewer: Can we turn off Experience Share?
* Ohmori: The item doesn't exist.
* Interviewer: So you have to train each individually?
* Ohmori: No, not that. They all get experience by default.

I'd say that's definitive proof.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the difficulty curve being: start game — extremely easy until last boss cheap as fuck battle (Ultra Necrozma)... then back to easy af. Fun!

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
From the Gameinformer '101 Rapid-Fire Questions About Pokémon Sword and Shield':

Well, there goes any sort of semblance of creating a challenge run for myself or anything. I guess I'll just rotate out a huge team or something.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

This just makes zero fucking sense to me. With the XP share item you give people options. Super easy to disable or enable.

Now you're taking away options. And from the poll numbers apparently 40% of people are OK with the removal of options and allowing people to play how they want.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
This just makes zero fucking sense to me. With the XP share item you give people options. Super easy to disable or enable.

Now you're taking away options. And from the poll numbers apparently 40% of people are OK with the removal of options and allowing people to play how they want.
I honestly don't understand how people can see this and say "Yes, I'm okay with this, and even happy about it." It just makes no sense to me. The option for them to do this was already there, but the option to NOT do it was there also. Now one of those options are gone and people are thanking Game Freak for it. It's so bizarre.

Aug 13, 2019

And just like that S&S goes from a day one purchase to a potentially dropped franchise. I really hope Ohmori just forgot to mention an option to shut it off and it's actually there release day. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be buying.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'm frustrated by the wording of 'by default'. Yeah, the Exp. Share was also on by default in the previous two games. The question is if there exists a 'non-default' option.

This doesn't affect me but I understand the annoyance of losing this option.