• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Assuming it CAN'T be turned off, are you happy with this decision?

• Yes

Votes: 565 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 474 34.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 346 25.0%

• Total voters

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Who are they making these changes for?

An entire generation beat Pokemon Red and Blue, two obtuse games with almost no tutorial or hand-holding on the GameBoy. The tricky parts only encouraged building a community ("Hey, I'm stuck in Cerulean!" "Just go through the house that was burglarized" etc). These games were difficult and punishing, where routes between towns were long and filled with trainers with 4-5 Pokemon that were higher level than yours, and often of a different type than the wild Pokemon, and you'd have to have 1-2 of your team filled with HM 'mons and you had to let the opponent land a free hit because you had to keep switching Magikarp in and out.

Like, I don't want to be the "back in my day" guy but we know kids aren't stupid and can beat hard games. It's not an unproven.
Eh, I don't think the OG games were difficult at all, the trainers didnt have that many strong Pokémon until the very end of the game and you have Pokémon centers everywhere, or you could buy potions too. Yellow was the first game I ever finished when I was 4 and it wasnt that bad.

The hardest part was knowing where to go at times, especially after getting to Lavander Town.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would you guys feel about a Pokemon game with permadeath?

Or how about a mode where you get charged to use the Pokemon Center? There's probably plenty of ways to make these games harder that they could implement with no effort.

I mean, neither of those actually gel with how Pokemon is represented in this world. Probably also why they want to change how you get good IVs since playing Eugenics Simulator isn't what they wanted out of breeding either.

Nov 15, 2018
The games are generally balanced around no exp share on. You dont face fully evolved 3rd stage pokemon until late game, but with exp share on your own pokemon will be fully evolved pretty early.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
The games are generally balanced around no exp share on. You dont face fully evolved 3rd stage pokemon until late game, but with exp share on your own pokemon will be fully evolved pretty early.

Yea and people think GF will successfully balance for the fact that EXP SHARE will be on at all times.

They wont though lol.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
i don't really think you need to be empathetic in regards to a video game...there are greater things to spend your emotional energy on
For me, this thread reflects the opposite: if people can't be empathetic to others in regards to something as simple and trivial as this, I don't trust them to be empathetic in regards to other, more serious and important aspects of our lives. Like, understanding why this bothers other people is the bare minimum. I don't believe people are unable to understand the situation (that would be very insulting), so the most obvious explaination is just that, a lack of care.

I mean, it's on everyone to understand where everyone else is coming from. I don't think people on the internet being upset with a change is necessarily enough for me to change how I feel about things though. Is anyone out there like, "I don't like this change, but from the poll it looks like more people will enjoy this than not, so I'm happy actually."
Nobody is asking anyone to change how they feel personally about this, but it is pretty obvious that the actual question in the poll ("are you happy with this decision?") refers to the change of exp. share being mandatory. The implication that 'yes' carries is 'yes, I like that this is mandatory for everyone'. That's what 40% of the people voting have picked, assuming, as I said above, they know how to read.

Last edited:

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
This is, in itself, a problem rooted in a lack of empathy.
I mean, it's on everyone to understand where everyone else is coming from. I don't think people on the internet being upset with a change is necessarily enough for me to change how I feel about things though. Is anyone out there like, "I don't like this change, but from the poll it looks like more people will enjoy this than not, so I'm happy actually."

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
For me, this thread reflects the opposite: if people can't be empathetic to others in regards to something as simple and trivial as this, I don't trust them to be empathetic in regards to other, more serious and important aspects of our lives. Like, understanding why this bothers other people is the bare minimum. I don't believe people are unable to understand the situation (that would be very insulting), so the most obvious explaination is just that, a lack of care.
that's fair i suppose. i think empathy, like any emotional energy, is a finite resource and i'd much rather spend it on something more important than anything like this.

i voted indifferent in the poll, so I don't really care about this EXP thing either way. If they make it an option, cool. If they don't cool. Either way I'm not gonna spend energy making noise trying to push it one way or the other.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
that's fair i suppose. i think empathy, like any emotional energy, is a finite resource and i'd much rather spend it on something more important than anything like this.

i voted indifferent in the poll, so I don't really care about this EXP thing either way. If they make it an option, cool. If they don't cool. Either way I'm not gonna spend energy making noise trying to push it one way or the other.
You do you, of course. As long as those who don't care don't come back later because other people are ruining their fun, is all good.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is asking anyone to change how they feel personally about this, but it is pretty obvious that the actual question in the poll ("are you happy with this decision?") refers to the change of exp. share being mandatory. The implication that 'yes' carries is 'yes, I like that this is mandatory for everyone'. That's what 40% of the people voting have picked, assuming, as I said above, they know how to read.
I'll have to disagree and say that it's not obvious that the question is are you "happy it's mandatory?" I read it as "are you happy with the change in spite of it being mandatory?"

Feb 22, 2019
I'll have to disagree and say that it's not obvious that the question is are you "happy it's mandatory?" I read it as "are you happy with the change in spite of it being mandatory?"
The question, title and/or first post sure are misleading. But exp all has been here since 2013 so the only apparent change is making it mandatory. Given the comments on the thread, many people don't seem to know that.

Nov 14, 2017
Yea and people think GF will successfully balance for the fact that EXP SHARE will be on at all times.

They wont though lol.
Yeah, a game balanced around the Exp Share should see level 50s around the 7th gym and the E4 (or whatever their equivalent is) should be in the 70s.

But Gamefreak has a hard time even giving AI trainers higher than 2 Pokemon per team, so I have my doubts they'll do this right.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
But "the change" is it being mandatory. You can't be happy with "the change" in spite of itself, that's tautological.

The only ways a person could interpret it as you mention are:
1. If they didn't know an almost identical system was already in place in the previous games.
2. If they interpret the change as it being 100% extra exp. now, instead of 50%, while completely ignoring the part about it being mandatory for everyone.

I'd argue neither of those is a good look.

Last edited:

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Even though I dislike it, it'll only hurt my experience if there's no way to make the game challenging (eg only gaining exp from battles in Let's Go).

The Pokémon Amie style affection bonuses can fuck off though. Hated those in every game and how they were forced in Let's Go

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
The question, title and/or first post sure are misleading. But exp all has been here since 2013 so the only apparent change is making it mandatory. Given the comments on the thread, many people don't seem to know that.
the change is making every poke in the team get full experience regardless of participation as the default experience, the assumption we're making for the poll is that there is no way to avoid this.
he confirmed to us that every Pokémon in your party gets equal experience automatically as you progress through the game.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they actually balance the game around it this time then so you don't end up with a fucking god mode party without even trying.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a game balanced around the Exp Share should see level 50s around the 7th gym and the E4 (or whatever their equivalent is) should be in the 70s.

But Gamefreak has a hard time even giving AI trainers higher than 2 Pokemon per team, so I have my doubts they'll do this right.

I mean in this instance, more pokemon would basically mean more exp though. So we would still be stuck with Pokemon oneshotting dudes

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
So that people don't waste time individually leveling pokemon. If you still want to level single ones then box the rest of them. There's fewer overall pokemon so you won't have to do it as much. You should be thanking gamefreak tbh.
You didnt need to individually level Pokemon since 2013

Feb 22, 2019
So that people don't waste time individually leveling pokemon. If you still want to level single ones then box the rest of them. There's fewer overall pokemon so you won't have to do it as much. You should be thanking gamefreak tbh.
You could already do this in gen 6 and 7. This changes nothing for you, but it makes it worse for people who want to be underlevelled. Why should everyone be forced to play like you?
Boxing Pokémon is way more cumbersome than just turning exp share off.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018

👇

Besides all that, what about the people who actually enjoy the grind?

Training specific Pokémon one by one is part of the process of breeding, which is one of the parts of the game I personally enjoy the most. To me, planning the grind and knowing what to chain with what is one of the main attractions. Assuming this is mandatory, the new system just makes everything more cumberosme than it needs to be, and defeats part of the purpose.

"You're playing the game wrong" is not a valid argument.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Lazy dev rhetoric
Like I barely had any interest in this game to begin with. Good to know Game Freak has gotten even worse.

lmao at anyone who thinks GF is "balancing" the game around this. They ain't gonna do shit because they're the laziest developer around.

Aug 13, 2019
So the reason this is great is so that people don't play the way they want to? And if they want to they should do it in a roundabout way with more steps that they didn't have to in past games? And they should be thankful that the way they like playing has been made objectively worse? That is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Dec 20, 2017
If the game is actually balanced for this, then fine, but why they can't just toss a hard mode in these games is something I will never understand ever.

Guess I'll continue my self imposed hard mode by completely swapping out my team after every gym I guess.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
yikes

(Also good luck with your lopsided team because you can't have your new Pokémon catch up to your old ones without making them also gain levels)

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but gamefreak realized that a bunch of people were paying incorrectly on accident and have moved to fix it. That's good.
The Exp. Share defaults to on in the 3DS games and must be manually turned off. The only way to play "wrong" is to make the conscious decision to do so.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just like the FF7 remake misleading cover art thread, where some people were finding convoluted ways to defend it not being clear about not being a remake of the whole plot, this thread has something similar in the sense of people defending lack of options for players, it's seriously baffling, my brain can't process how one could root for this stuff, it's just... wow. I want to say it's ignorance, but there's gotta be more to it since people have already explained why forcing this is terrible, yet some keep defending it.

mazpratim

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who is happy about this is not allowed to whine about Dark Souls not having an easy mode

It's actually embarrassing how much better the fan made games are than the official games

chocobalt

Apr 2, 2018
yikes

(Also good luck with your lopsided team because you can't have your new Pokémon catch up to your old ones without making them also gain levels)
Lower level Pokemon will receive more experience than higher level ones, so that's not really too big of a concern. Still sucks that the option might be gone, but there are mechanics to help lower level Pokes catch up.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent to this really.
Just makes it the same EXP system I've seen in every other JRPG I've played in the last 15 years where the whole party gets EXP

Nov 14, 2017
Just like the FF7 remake misleading cover art thread, where some people were finding convoluted ways to defend it not being clear about not being a remake of the whole plot, this thread has something similar in the sense of people defending lack of options for players, it's seriously baffling, my brain can't process how one could root for this stuff, it's just... wow. I want to say it's ignorance, but there's gotta be more to it since people have already explained why forcing this is terrible, yet some keep defending it.
People are exposing their asses by celebrating a "new" feature when it's actually been a feature for 2 gens now, but with actual options to boot. If they actually played these games, they'd know it's not a new thing.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Sure but gamefreak realized that a bunch of people were paying incorrectly on accident and have moved to fix it. That's good.
How am I supposed to read this and not assume the people defending these decisions have the empathy of a shoe

Anyone who is happy about this is not allowed to whine about Dark Souls not having an easy mode
Should go without saying, but vice-versa too. Anyone that is in favor of adding an easy mode to other games should not be okay with removing options.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
I should be the audience this change was made for (those how don't have the time anymore they used to) but I am honestly not a fan. Developing my pokemon individually is the main draw for me when it comes to the series.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It depends on who you ask.
Some like it because it gets rid of the grind of keeping their entire team at the same-ish level.
And I hate it because it takes away the grind of keeping my entire team at the same-ish level, despite the fact that I could optionally do that in the last 3ish games. All they've done is take away an option and they're met with applause.

It seems pretty obvious that a good chunk of the yes voters haven't touched a Pokemon game in years.
The only game I haven't played is Let's Go, mever touching it either, and I still have no issue with this. The less grinding the better I say.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The only game I haven't played is Let's Go, mever touching it either, and I still have no issue with this. The less grinding the better I say.
But you could have it on while others turn it off, you could do that before, now those who want to turn it off can't.
Holy shit is this why this thread is so long? People willingly being obtuse and choosing not to understand the actual issue?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
And poof goes the joy of RPing and building up your pokemon with pride. I know it was tedious but it was a tedium I liked.

Aug 13, 2019
And you can have that while also giving me the option to grind all I want. That's what I take issue with. We can both have what we want, they just need to give me the option to shut off exp-share, like they did in the last 2 games.