• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to be watching the Superbowl and then suddenly Kratos is chopping all manner of Norse creatures to pieces with his axe.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I like hearing about the development processes. Tackling something like this should definitely be beneficial for the studio in several ways.

Oh, I didn't know that. Nice.

Yeah, I mean the cover and issue were revealed January 4th and their videos show the SSM offices decorated for Christmas so they were there and doing these interviews last month.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JFC people, when they will be sure about release date they will announce it. Stop asking the same questions in every GOW thread.

Pretty much the only two things that matter about this game now, after years of hype and cinematic trailers at conferences, is a date and actual gameplay footage. Two things they absolutely refuse to give us.

They deserve to be pestered by these questions until they give us one.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we are getting this Game Informer blowout is a pretty solid sign that the marketing cycle has begun. Like, GI is basically a Gamestop advertisement, and the latest issue has GoW on the cover to every subscriber and in every Gamestop in the country, and yet people are asking "When are they going to start marketing it?".

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
"Finish the game, Cory."
DQo-BMmV4AA1ECv.jpg

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I just want to be watching the Superbowl and then suddenly Kratos is chopping all manner of Norse creatures to pieces with his axe.

The week of January 29th we'll likely get a tease if it happens!

Can you imagine if next week we get both God of War and RDR2 release dates along with Super Bowl spots featuring PlayStation branding.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Chill in the release date folks, you are part of the problem why crunch is so brutal on these devs. It's done when it's done. I don't want to know the release date a year in advanced, tell me when you can lock it in.

Oct 25, 2017
Chill in the release date folks, you are part of the problem why crunch is so brutal on these devs. It's done when it's done. I don't want to know the release date a year in advanced, tell me when you can lock it in.
This is where I'm at. Don't feed me lies and just announce a date so you can get the pre orders. Let me know when it's done

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great. I absolutely love to see BTS videos for games that I'm interested in. I always wonder why more companies don't do this. I hope God of War has something like what they did with TLOU.

Jan 11, 2018

Don't blame the fans. Blame Sony for saying "Early 2018." Sony themselves put the pressure on SSM, not the fans.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You'll all be sorry when the marketing blowout begins and all the surprises start getting spoiled.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting a march but now it look more like a may release

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that we are getting this Game Informer blowout is a pretty solid sign that the marketing cycle has begun. Like, GI is basically a Gamestop advertisement, and the latest issue has GoW on the cover to every subscriber and in every Gamestop in the country, and yet people are asking "When are they going to start marketing it?".

Well, they're getting some exposure for the fact that a God of War game will release, but I think some people mean "when will Sony show the video game so people can figure out what the game is and want to buy it."

Because as of now the known information about GOW is:

-Combat will be different in some various ways but there aren't many details.
-Kratos has a son
-Kratos is a kind of viking now.
-There may be crafting and leveling and exploration and puzzles similar to Tomb Raider reboot but none of these have been shown in any capacity.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they're getting some exposure for the fact that a God of War game will release, but I think some people mean "when will Sony show the video game so people can figure out what the game is and want to buy it."

Because as of now the known information about GOW is:

-Combat will be different in some various ways but there aren't many details.
-Kratos has a son
-Kratos is a kind of viking now.
-There may be crafting and leveling and exploration and puzzles similar to Tomb Raider reboot but none of these have been shown in any capacity.
If the game is coming late March, they have 2 months to show that. There is still more than enough time.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
lol Every time. God of War 3 was especially bad because they spoilt the big opening fight with Poseidon and his death as well as Cronos. That and I remember the Keighley special and them talking about the ending when we were still a month out or something...

Exactly. I'm happy with what they've shown (low tier fodder), although the serpent thing seems like a bit of spoiler. I don't want the huge epic set pieces shown off at all.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Exactly. I'm happy with what they've shown (low tier fodder), although the serpent thing seems like a bit of spoiler. I don't want the huge epic set pieces shown off at all.

See and story content wise that trailer was good enough: seeing more of the mythology, Midgard and then some think recognisable from said lore like the world serpent was great. I like how we haven't even seen or been really teased about the other gods and figures like Odin, Thor, Loki, Fenrir etc aside from the podcasts or say Atreus toys.

That said I totally get the concerns of others feeling more needs to be shown. I'd like to see more gameplay and another small slice like the E3 reveal with Kratos and Atreus exploring, getting into combat, traversal with the boat and then ending it with a stinger.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Why doesn't the interviewer ask them about the release date? He's throwing way too many softballs, and there's no new footage at all and we've learned pretty much nothing. This may be the most uninformative cover story they've ever ran. I would have preferred an IGN First on God of War instead of this.
Because they agreed not to ask those questions? Like.. cmon guys. Its not that rocket science kind of difficult to find out SSM just didnt want to be asked these questions.... because they wouldnt answer them at that time.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i would like to see at least 5 new seconds of gameplay, really disappointing GI coverage.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Man, we know it's coming this year and there are a shitload of other games to play. Let's just let this one get finished/polished up before release. Hell, I would rather not see too much of the game before playing.

Christ's sake guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting to hear that basically all the sections of the game were being worked on at the same time and completed around the same time as well, rather than a first act, second act, finale type situation being worked on one at a time. Could lead to a far more consistent game throughout rather than certain sections of the game feeling worse than others because those were the ones they were working on when they were trying to meet deadlines.

Also, my prediction. We're getting a release date on January 26th.

If no, then there's gonna be a superbowl commercial with the release date announced around the same time (maybe even part of an extended version of the trailer).

Last edited:

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, release date's not a big deal for me. I'm confident it'll release in March or soon after. I'm not in a hurry.

That said, insightful interview as usual. I always like hearing about the development process and what it's like working on projects like these.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Why does it matter when the release date is revealed? We know it's going to be relatively soon, why do so many people get upset about this shit?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Why does it matter when the release date is revealed? We know it's going to be relatively soon, why do so many people get upset about this shit?

For me it is more about talking and not showing. They are mostly saying same things over and over again and only real gameplay we saw was year and a half ago.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I think Sony has simply given up on release dates after never being able to make any of them on time.

Some dude's gonna walk into Gamestop one morning and realize God of War is out and that's how we'll know.

G_Carline

Jan 19, 2018
I think SSM are definitely getting close to announcing the release date. All the leaks, the CE being revealed, and the GI coverage all month tells me they are getting close. I am glad they are open to talking about the game with game informer although they haven't revealed any new info but its good to learn about all the behind the scenes stuff that going on during development. I am sure we will get a new trailer and hopefully another demo similar to the E3 one. The release date isn't a major deal for me, I was mainly waiting to see what the CE edition was going to include because thats what I was getting anyway.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I think SSM are definitely getting close to announcing the release date. All the leaks, the CE being revealed, and the GI coverage all month tells me they are getting close. I am glad they are open to talking about the game with game informer although they haven't revealed any new info but its good to learn about all the behind the scenes stuff that going on during development. I am sure we will get a new trailer and hopefully another demo similar to the E3 one. The release date isn't a major deal for me, I was mainly waiting to see what the CE edition was going to include because thats what I was getting anyway.

I think it's funny, and pretty remarkable actually, that the CE contents leaked nearly a year ago were accurate.

G_Carline

Jan 19, 2018
I think it's funny, and pretty remarkable actually, that the CE contents leaked nearly a year ago were accurate.

Yea its crazy but some leaks do turn out to be accurate. If I remember correctly, In December 2014 Cory confirmed a new GOW was in early development. Then in 2016, months before the E3 reveal there was a huge concept art leak showing a bearded Kratos holding an axe, a boat like we saw in the trailer, and many other enviroment concepts giving us a good insight of the game.