• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for TechRaptor or their content here.

Sex Appeal was 'Not the Right Direction', Art Director Says
The latest issue of Game Informer is out and the cover story is (rather unsurprisingly) all about the Resident Evil 3 remake. One of the topics addressed by the developers is Jill Valentine's new RE3 remake design, and the game's Art Director explains why they've made a shift in style.

"There were a lot of discussions internally about that direction," RE3 remake Art Director Yonghee Cho told Game Informer. "The original design of Jill Valentine was clearly going for sex appeal, but that was not the right direction. This is a very strong character, and it is a character that's going through a lot of adversity, so we wanted to home in on that and make sure that there's a certain level of believability in what she's wearing, a certain level of practicality."

Jill Valentine's new RE3 remake design may be disappointing to some fans of the classic game, but CAPCOM certainly hasn't forgotten about its roots. If you pre-order the game before it's planned release date in early April 2020, you can pick up the "Classic Costume Pack" skins. These skins include the original Jill Valentine and Carlos Oliveira designs as optional costumes for the players who want more of a throwback experience.
A very sensible decision considering just how unpractical her original outfit was, and how much sense it makes for what's essentially a SWAT officer to wear combat boots, and tactical gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The original design is iconic but this isn't really a big deal, given that you can get the original costume as a pre-order bonus.

And unlike the RE2 "classic" costume, it's actually the classic costume. No idea what they were thinking with that weird Claire outfit.

(Do we know if you can use the classic costume from the start?)

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Butbutbutbutbutbut Lara Croft!

(For the record, I think Jill looks rad in this)

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Why does practicality matter in an over-the-top series like RE? Also, her modernized classic costume looks fine and should've been the default costume.

ELb7K1WWkAcqF2v.jpg

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of people are gonna be mad about this and act like idiots on the internet.

New design is great though.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad Capcom has seemingly learned, after a mere twenty years, that women wear trousers too.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Her RE3 remake design is miles ahead of the slut costume from the original RE3.

I love her RE3 costume and will defend it!

Anyway, it was expected they would do something more practical for the remake, the important thing is that she should be still in civilian clothes, so they nailed that. The only thing I would change is make the white shirt more visible, so the color pallete more closely resembles the original.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
RE3make design is a big improvement but I wish they'd have kept the tall boots. Also, even though the design is a big improvement, I think she looks too ordinary/simple, I guess? Claire's redesign for RE2make is an improvement, honest to her character, unique, and looks great. Same with trench coat Ada. I wish they could have given similar treatment to Jill and go for something that's more expressive, stylish, and practical.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
RE3: Jill looks like she's about to hit a nightclub

RE3make: She looks like she's going hiking

I think it's a good design.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really only the bottom part of her outfit that's vastly different, but I like it. The old one was fine at the time it came out, the new one is much better to me.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will there be any other outfits other than 2??? Claire had 5 options total... Jill better have more than just 2. Please tell me there'll be more official ones! (No mods)

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be wearing a necklace when a bunch of zombies are trying to grab at me, but you do you

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Ada is still weird though. They didn't really make her costume sensible, lol

I like both. The original is oddly iconic now. I do think they could've made the new outfit more distinct, but it's fine

Oh, I hope they throw in her other costumes too. The BSAA one is one of her best

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
TIL that knee-high boots, a miniskirt, and a strapless shirt is a "slut costume"

Seriously, grow the hell up.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also people need to just let go of the original costume getting modernized. It's a remake. A reimagining. It's time to let the pencil skirt go. Lol.

Oct 30, 2017
I like the new design. That said, I hope we can unlock all sorts of dumb costumes like Ryu's gi, servbot head, a hat in the shape of a sandwich, etc.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. That's fine, but the PC version's gonna get tons of mods to change all that...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The blue shirt alone is enough for me to understand that it's Jill. The only non practical thing that could've worked to make it more OG like is if she was wearing some white parka that she ends up tying around her waist halfway through the game.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sticks hand up.

Mr character designer. Why is a generic tank top practical in a zombie apocalypse. Surely she wouldnt want exposed arms around zombies?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the new design. It gets better the more time passes. The original look was cool but obviously it wasn't practical nor fitting. Just as they say, it was done for sex appeal. It is very iconic but at the same time it doesn't fit the new direction at all (or the original).

At any case, the original outfit is in the game for those that absoluetly want it.
RE3: Jill looks like she's about to hit a nightclub

RE3make: She looks like she's going hiking

I think it's a good design.
Reminds me of:
images

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Still maybe would have added the cartigan to the modern design in some way, but still a good design.

Status
Not open for further replies.