• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that's actually happening on Xbox this gen is MS giving you back the ability to play a game you bought years ago on another console.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, no I suspect I can't download my DDR Ultramix DLC song packs any more on my original xbox, due to the service not existing. That's PROBABLY true. Guess what, that shit was DLC so it doesn't matter if it was a physical game or not. In fact, there weren't digital downloads on the og xbox, so it's not actually a going concern here.

Anything on the 360 you can't download that you own I'd love to see the receipts.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I don't like the thing therefore it's bad.

Or am I just lacking the ability to compress this thread?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Publishers can lock you out of physical games as well. For example, they can shut down the servers to an online only game and you won't be able to play it whether you have the physical or digital copy of the game.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Publishers can't just lock your digital games. Where did you get that nonsense from OP?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
If you are spending money on digital games and you don't get some sort of installer which you can backup and which can install your game whenever you feel like it down the line, whether or not activation servers are online, you aren't buying a game.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Has there been a case where a publishers take your digital game license away before?

I do agree with the online only games though, but it's not a digital-only problem. They will screw everyone when the server is shut down.

Sony cut off all redownloads of PS Mobile games.

Microsoft cut off all redownloads of OG Xbox DLC when OG Live went down (basically a handful of games and level packs).

Steam has actively removed games from libraries before.

But the vast majority of digital games (including all 360 content) is still available for redownload.

I dont have access to old Xbox or 360 content anymore.

When it comes to the 360, any game content purchased is still available for redownload.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Why spend $60 on Microsoft games when you can get them all via Xbox Game Pass? Buying Microsoft games digitally doesn't make much sense anymore.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
If that ever happens you'll be dead by then. Nothing will be taken away in your lifetime.
This is very naive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

Gaming companies want to make money, not preserve your gaming library. If you bought games on your DSi or Wii you won't be able to re-download them in the near future (forgot the exact date). I bought a lot of apps for my iPod Touch in 2009 that are not available any longer.

https://toucharcade.com/2015/09/11/...racing-and-other-classics-from-the-app-store/

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
There's no guarantee in life but it's more likely that you would lose access to proprietary hardware to run a game on than lose access to a game itself. This is why I hope the big videogame companies put their games on pc. I don't know that the big 3 will still be making consoles in say 15 years but 100%certain pcs will still be here

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Barnboi

Alt-account.
Banned
Jan 2, 2019
My 22 yr old cousin is digital only on his PS4. Looked at me weird when I said I'm disk only unless no disk is available. It's not a problem for me at all. I have a 500 disc DVD case that doesn't get in the way and swapping disc has never been a problem for me. It does give me some comfort knowing I will never loose my games.

I also try to buy game of the year versions or "completed" versions when I can. I'm usually late to the party and hate downloading multiple patches.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't re-install digital games then contact Xbox support. There are easy solutions to attempt before you create a thread making an issue of what will probably turn out to be nothing.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Gamepass seems like the best case scenario for going digital. At least you're not being lied to that you own anything.youre payign a subscription for access and that's fine if the price is right.

Paying for digital as it is right now imo is robbery.you dont own shit but in every way the companies selling the game to you pretend that they are.el

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
I've been all digital for a few years and the only thing I can't get access to is P.T. Sucks but I didn't pay anything for it so what can you do.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
MMM....subscriprions don't give you the ownership of the contents
you pay WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less (something like 1.000$ worth of games for 50 bucks a year) to play them and..let them go

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I couldn't redownload Hydro Thunder or classic Doom.

OT says publisher could lock out a game, that's not the same thing as not available to download anymore.

Reading your OT everyone thought you were talking about unability to launch the game. You can't blame a publisher to stop paying for making a game downloadable.

Thus you're right in the way buying a digital game is buying a licence that could be removed, but we need receipt of any known case.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a weird troll thread where the OP doesn't even understand his own premise.

One thing I did appreciate when getting an Xbox One was that many of the XBLA games I bought in the 360 gen were available to download and play via BC, linked to my account that I'd not used in years. Very cool. If this is a hint of what we're in for with the digital future then I'm quite happy with it. If PS5 is BC I'm going to have a huge library.

And as for gamepass, it's a rental service of course. But having had an Xbox One for about 5 months now, I'm yet to buy one single game for it, have played about 10 games, and I got over a year of GP for about ÂŁ50. That's some great value.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Every month , just like Netflix, they add and remove games from the service. Publishers can do the exact same to your digital copies. Just plain lock you out of it. Could they do the same for physical? Yes and no. If publishers release an update that bricks your discs, there are ways around that. This is why I hate online only games. Don't get me wrong. Gamepass is a great value if you're into digital and never keep games anyway.

I feel like you don't actually own any digital games. Yes, games can be pulled from sale but they're never removed from your library.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass and the churn of titles included is completely unrelated to purchased digital libraries, and is not indicative of your ability to access those games in the future.

The entire premise of this thread is completely flawed.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I went digital only years ago after my ps4 blu ray drive died. Never lost access to one of my digital games that I purchased. Only downside I see is that I don't get access from games a few days before release anymore (physical copies usually appear in the wild a bit earlier). So be it.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
All you guys making fun of the OP really can't think of any reason a publisher would deactivate a game?

Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it can't. Licences, political shit like with Devotion, trying to sell something new, there could be lot's of reasons.

Personally I don't care much because I don't really replay old games, but acting like this is impossible is just silly....

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's ok OP. Digital adoption rate isn't going to suddenly jump to 100% if you don't lie about the risks of buying games and movies digitally. You can let this one go.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All you guys making fun of the OP really can't think of any reason a publisher would deactivate a game?

Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it can't. Licences, political shit like with Devotion, trying to sell something new, there could be lot's of reasons.

Personally I don't care much because I don't really replay old games, but acting like this is impossible is just silly....

Games purchased but delisted from store can still be downloaded on Steam, including Devotion or license expired games.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every month , just like Netflix, they add and remove games from the service. Publishers can do the exact same to your digital copies. Just plain lock you out of it. Could they do the same for physical? Yes and no. If publishers release an update that bricks your discs, there are ways around that. This is why I hate online only games. Don't get me wrong. Gamepass is a great value if you're into digital and never keep games anyway.

Ok, give me 1 example of a publisher locking someone out of a game for anything less than a ban on a online service

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like how most people discuss digital as if this is a thing that actually happens.

- "X company remove Y game from store"
- "digital future", "lol", "I'm never going digital", "they are taking my games"

sigh...

Nearly every individuals who argue against digital future, tend to not have any first hand experience with digital download in the first place. Thus it is normal for them to hold bunch of misinformations

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
My only real problem with digital content is when they remove games from the store, so if you haven't bought it by then, you no longer have access to buying it in digital form, like Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's more likely is that every game I've bought digitally (or have access to via Game Pass or EA Access or Games with Gold) will be available for me to stream to any device if I subscribe to xCloud....in addition to playing it natively on my console (or PC).

Sometimes I feel like the people who clutch pearls over digital games are people who have exclusively used consoles that have poor online and account systems where they are forced to rebuy the same game every time its re-released.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It's more likely that you lose your physical game than a digital game you bought.