• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has the Xbox App / Windows Store done any of this to you:

• Deleted a game but the space never freed up

Votes: 791 30.9%
  • Unable to uninstall a game at all

Votes: 516 20.1%
  • Unable to install a game at all

Votes: 563 22.0%
  • Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall

Votes: 515 20.1%
  • Other

Votes: 283 11.0%
  • Never had an issue with the Xbox App or Windows Store

Votes: 1,221 47.6%

• Total voters

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I just got a new gaming laptop and am interested in trying out some PC Game Pass games, but this thread has me spooked.

Is there anything I can do to, to prevent problems down the road? Like, if I install Game Pass games onto a separate drive and just format it every once in a while?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a new gaming laptop and am interested in trying out some PC Game Pass games, but this thread has me spooked.

Is there anything I can do to, to prevent problems down the road? Like, if I install Game Pass games onto a separate drive and just format it every once in a while?
As flyinj mentioned earlier in this thread this can still fuck up the Windows Store itself. But it should at least prevent your main drive from being cluttered with undeletable data. At least that is how I am doing it now. I didn't uninstall anything yet though ^^

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017

install them on a D: drive so you can format it if it goes kaput

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Adding my own experience here. I've had PC Gamepass for a month now and have had nothing short of a bullshit time.

At first, perfectly fine. Downloaded and deleted many games and was having fun. Then Halo wouldn't launch for some reason. Said there was an error on a 1.1 gig update. I tried to retry and it wouldn't reset. So I decided to delete the game. Then, as I go to redownload the game, I can't, I don't have enough space. Turns out, Halo is still on my computer. So, I frustratingly delete several other games and programs so I can redownload it again, mad at the fact that 150 gigs were gone and now I needed 150 more.

I start the download, and within seconds it has completed. I launched, and yep, it worked. Guess the game never really deleted itself from my computer. It then became a cycle of playing for sometime, then "deleting" and "reinstalling", then the cycle repeats. My dollar month was running out and I decided with the issues it wasn't worth resubscribing. But, I found out that I could get the normal plan (I had the ultimate plan) for a dollar as well. Cool! I redownload Halo (I deleted it for real since I thought I was done with it and gamepass) and it works. I also try to download Doom 64 but I ran into some trouble. That was yesterday.

Today, I thought I would indulge in more Halo. I then found out that I would not, for Gamepass has completely and totally fucked itself. I cannot install any game, I cannot get the space back from deleting Halo. The Xbox App seems to acknowledge this problem, shining a big blue banner at the top stating "having trouble launching or installing?" Apparently, I needed an optional update to run games again. Annoying, but relatively painless. Or so I thought.

The Update center informs me that "my shit is completely fucked" and I am missing some updates. Weird, I just installed a big update some weeks ago! Okay, let's scan for an update.

Nothing happens. Again and again I scan, nothing happens. I troubleshoot the updater. I spend a hour googling for answers. I get nothing but false promises. My computer is completely fucked.

I write this three hours after this obnoxious process, on a clean install of Windows 10. I wasn't too upset at reinstalling Windows, my computer really needed it. But I am completely frustrated at Xbox and Gamepass for PC. As I download the Xbox App, I checked out ResetEra and I stumble upon this thread. After giving it a cursory lookthrough, I felt the need to put my own experience up to spread the word and now I am second guessing myself on even bothering with Gamepass at all anymore on PC. I am utterly perplexed at Microsoft's inability to develop a functioning app for one of their premiere services, and the lack of control the user has over solving this issue even though were are gaming on a Windows PC, where I feel as if I can do an almost endless array of technical fixes for any problem I have. With Gamepass for PC, I cannot even delete the game folders myself as Michaelsoft doesn't give me full control over the folders, and I could find no solution on how to gain control over the folders.

Absolutely embarrassing and endlessly infuriating.

i'm a bit relieved to see this post. I went through the same thing this week. Well not exactly the same thing, but after a year of using PC game pass fine, I went to go load up Forza and halo, and it wouldn't download.

Xbox app said I need an update, fine, ran the update. Then the Microsoft store itself deleted itself. Yes, the store was greyed out.

Googled for over an hour and tried the various solutions to get the store app back, including trying registry edits. Nothing worked.

Had to reset my entire PC and reinstall everything.

Forza hopefully will turn out to be good because I just lost like three hours of my life on this nonsense. Like you though, maybe my computer needed it. It's running significantly faster now. I guess a clean install will do that.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I took the plunge to straight to W11 on my new laptop, so far so good..

Hope I don't get these issues being reported here. Installed about 5 games on it thus far.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
I was trying to run AoE IV on Game Pass but it's impossible, it doesn't start. But when I try to run Into the Pit, it just run fine... arf this sucks.

EDIT: Checking it on Windows 11 App manager looks like it's installed 41Gb but the Xbox App says that there are 82Gb.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
I was deciding between the Steam and Windows Store versions of Forza Horizon 5 (can get WS version cheaper).

But thanks for reminding this exists. Going with the Steam version without even thinking twice again.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My Game Pass subscription ended on Wednesday and I had Back 4 Blood installed. I go to uninstall it yesterday and it wouldn't let me so ended up having to go into the WindowsApps folder, change ownership and then delete the damn game.

What a way to end my Game Pass subscription. Super happy I have nothing tying me to the Microsoft Store now except the Xbox Accessories app to update my Xbox Series Controller.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I had some unable to install/launch/update errors last night.
No problems with drive space, that all seems to be reporting correctly.

The fix that worked for me was to unsinstall gaming services, which is a fix recommended by MS themselves if you're getting the "0x00000001" error.
See the "still having problems" box, here.

Launch powershell as administrator and type the following:

Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

This removes gaming services, but the XBox and MS Store apps are not affected (you keep all your games and don't need to reinstall them)
Reboot and launch the XBox app.
Try to launch a game, and it will probably redirect you to "install Gaming Services" on the MS Store. Install it.
(I can't remember if it prompted me to reboot again after the re-install - I don't think so).
Games work again, hooray!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was deciding between the Steam and Windows Store versions of Forza Horizon 5 (can get WS version cheaper).

But thanks for reminding this exists. Going with the Steam version without even thinking twice again.
With Horizon 5, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go with rhe MS Store. All features are apparently supported in both versions and both versions are being supported by the same developer.

With 4, the Steam version is missing the cool haptic feedback stuff on One/Series controllers. The Steam version also had severe performance issues that thankfully have been foxed.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Well, my luck finally ran out I guess. I've had minimal issues with the Windows store outside of Gears 4 launch install problems, but with this most recent Season 8 update of the MCC, it's gotten to the point where I think I'll have to do a full reformat. Initially I just had an "Error" message next to the MCC download on the store, and I could never get the update to actually install. It would let me launch the game, but there were weird placeholder text on the menus and season pass screen, and I could never boot into campaign or find a multiplayer match.

I tried various "fixes" to get the game to update but nothing worked, and in trying to fix the MCC I've now seemingly broken the store and gaming services, so any other games I have installed won't even launch now and just redirect to the gaming services page on the MS Store. I tried a few things to fix that new issue, but honestly instead of troubleshooting I'm just going to instead put that time into moving my files to an external HD and just do an entire reformat.

I doubt I'll even install MCC on my PC after I reset everything and leave that as a strictly Xbox game going forward. Don't want to have to deal with this shit again going forward.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I have $40 in MS credit and another almost 10k rewards points to use, so I was going to get FH5 via the MS Store, but all this gives me great doubt.

It's reward credit too so it will start expiring in December, can I buy controllers and accessories with the credit?

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had some unable to install/launch/update errors last night.
No problems with drive space, that all seems to be reporting correctly.

The fix that worked for me was to unsinstall gaming services, which is a fix recommended by MS themselves if you're getting the "0x00000001" error.
See the "still having problems" box, here.

Launch powershell as administrator and type the following:

Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

This removes gaming services, but the XBox and MS Store apps are not affected (you keep all your games and don't need to reinstall them)
Reboot and launch the XBox app.
Try to launch a game, and it will probably redirect you to "install Gaming Services" on the MS Store. Install it.
(I can't remember if it prompted me to reboot again after the re-install - I don't think so).
Games work again, hooray!

thanks. gonna try this!

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I've just installed a new SSD to use exclusively for Game Pass games. Is there a safe way to move my already installed games onto the new drive, or do I have to uninstall and then re-download them? And if I do that, what happens to my saves?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This crap still has me on the fence with Forza Horizon 5. I want it on Steam but ugh.. we have Xbox stuff the family will use as well.

Really don't want to reward these assholes by buying it twice.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This crap still has me on the fence with Forza Horizon 5. I want it on Steam but ugh.. we have Xbox stuff the family will use as well.

Really don't want to reward these assholes by buying it twice.
why not just get it on GP and make sure the PC version is working then buy it..? low risk..

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
I want to report that my problems seem to have been fixed behind the scenes. I did nothing, but when I installed another XBox App update yesterday I checked my Temp folder, and saw that my error generation had stopped. Today I installed Wasteland 3, which was stuck at 0% for 6 months previously, and it's currently downloading it. (I'll update in a few hours, I got to go)

So someone is looking at this, at least.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I want to report that my problems seem to have been fixed behind the scenes. I did nothing, but when I installed another XBox App update yesterday I checked my Temp folder, and saw that my error generation had stopped. Today I installed Wasteland 3, which was stuck at 0% for 6 months previously, and it's currently downloading it. (I'll update in a few hours, I got to go)

So someone is looking at this, at least.

About fucking time

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
why not just get it on GP and make sure the PC version is working then buy it..? low risk..
Of course the PC version is "working". The problem here is that Microsoft Store apps can break at any time on PC. it has nothing to do with the game itself, it's the stupid unreliable store.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Of course the PC version is "working". The problem here is that Microsoft Store apps can break at any time on PC. it has nothing to do with the game itself, it's the stupid unreliable store.
I feel like once it's installed you're good to go, which is why I said to test it out with game pass as a low risk option rather than $60 for the Xbox/PC version. I've yet to encounter any sort of problem with updating or uninstalling games that are installed. I can see my hard drive space clear up after uninstalling them too.

I'm on Windows 11 now but I don't think there's any difference between the stores in the backend

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I bought a new laptop about a few months ago and I was surprised to find out it comes with a free Game Pass subscription, but I am both afraid to try it and laughing thanks to the amazing title of this thread.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like once it's installed you're good to go, which is why I said to test it out with game pass as a low risk option rather than $60 for the Xbox/PC version. I've yet to encounter any sort of problem with updating or uninstalling games that are installed. I can see my hard drive space clear up after uninstalling them too.
And that's how it works for most people. ..until you're the unlucky one with ~100 GB of unusable space on your SSD

It happened to me about 2 years ago. Had to reformat to fix it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Upgraded my boot disk, so I've relegated my tiny old SSD to the Windows Store.

Might do the $1 Game Pass offer now. If I have any troubles I'll just wipe the disc.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
pk5a81K.jpeg

I got this thing in an update to the Xbox app. All it's for are some surveys about how often you use the app, what for, and what payment options you use. Nothing for saying directly to their face that their app is bad and that I would be fired if I made something this bad and never fixed it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

I'm on Windows 11 now but I don't think there's any difference between the stores in the backend

Nah this isn't the case at all. It seems to be random for most folks. Gamepass worked great for me for about a month I think? Then it took a shit out of nowhere and started reinstalling games constantly

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
So this *still* hasn't been fixed?

Jesus christ. My new PC came with a free Gamepass PC trial but I have not activated yet because I'm waiting for them to fix this, Microsoft this is beyond embarrassing

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Started to install Forza Horizon 5 (got like 70% done) and had to pause it. Then shut down my PC till later.

I've booted up and opened the Xbox app to continue the download but nope... nothing in progress. Trying to start the install eventually fails and gives up. My SSD is now out about 80GB... IDK what to do :(

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Got Forza Horizon 5 to boot with no fuss, this is good! Having the 100GB install in there twice because winstore, that's bad!

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Someone who claimed to be MS support posted in this thread looking for more info... /shrug.

There was a guy in the XCloud thread from the Gamepass team that was asking people to give them info about their streaming experience. I asked them if they were aware of this issue and pointed them to this thread but they disappeared from the thread immediately after I asked.

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to reset the MS Store once again after it and the Xbox app wouldn't stop crashing upon boot.

Now I can't seem to launch various options in the Settings menu at all. Network and Internet for one. Just crashes out.

With a wired ethernet connection it's doubly bizarre.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
There was a guy in the XCloud thread from the Gamepass team that was asking people to give them info about their streaming experience. I asked them if they were aware of this issue and pointed them to this thread but they disappeared from the thread immediately after I asked.

It's really fucking shitty regardless of whatever we say because it's clear as day that MS has no intention of fixing the Windows Store and how games through GP/Xbox work. They have no intention to make it a modern, functioning and proper launcher and store. And shit, even without the launcher issues, the fact that games often are updates behind other versions, whether it be Steam, GOG, Epic or even consoles, with proper and stable updates.

Windows 11 just launched this year, 6 years after 10, and from day 1 on W10, they just don't give a shit. People can come in here or where and say that it's priority or that'll be better and so on. Well how about you actually fucking do it instead of talking?

I cannot and will not take anything anyone says on here or anything MS says about GP, regardless of content and updates, until they actually fix the fucking PC issues.

Shit, got an idea, why not just make a completely separate launcher that doesn't, in any way, require the Windows Store? SHOCKING! I KNOW! HOLY SHIT!

Oct 25, 2017
Started to install Forza Horizon 5 (got like 70% done) and had to pause it. Then shut down my PC till later.

I've booted up and opened the Xbox app to continue the download but nope... nothing in progress. Trying to start the install eventually fails and gives up. My SSD is now out about 80GB... IDK what to do :(
This is from someone on Discord who had the same issue, maybe try this:
I went into the Windows Store (rather than the Xbox app where I started the download), went to the game's page and rather than click install, I clicked on the [...] button next to it and then "Install on my devices". For some reason that picks up the download where it left off.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to cave and try Forza Horizon 5. Ugh.

0x803FB107

It's stuck in a loop and I can't make it stop.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I went to download FH5 and decided to pause the download early and download it tomorrow...
Couldn't sleep so I decided to start the DL and now I see that FH5 is not in my downloads, and the 100GB I had freed up for it are gone. Can't find anything to delete in regards to FH5 files :-/
This is from someone on Discord who had the same issue, maybe try this:
Just saw this and I think it might be working? I clicked on "install" instead of the dots since "my devices" didn't include the PC, just xboxes associated with my account. Its installing now, but I am not sure if its on the drive that I had specified previously. We'll see!

Jun 6, 2020
Downloaded half of Forza last night because it's 100GB, started up my pc this morning and there's no resume anywhere. When I redownload Forza it hovers on 0% for a bit and then just disappears.

I am pissed now because I have seemingly no way of playing this game.

But even worse, is there just some half downloaded 60gb folder taking up space in my drive that windows can't find now?